Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/5/2008 10:10:24 PM   
tocaff

Industrial capacity and technology went wrong Capt Ishii.  The #s and odds were bound to finally take their toll as the Pacific war of attrition moves on.  A truly fantastic story CF.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2401
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/5/2008 10:39:44 PM   
FeurerKrieg

Well, the good news is (provided Hibiki makes it out this battle alive) we get to witness the long slow contraction of the Japanese empire from the eyes of our favorite destroyer crew. It will be interesting to read of how the morale of the crew changes over the next year as food, fuel and other shortages start to take their toll.

Not to mention what will become a world where there is not place completely safe, and there is no such things as relaxing in port because Allied planes can reach anywhere.

Still a ways off but at least we get to read CF's wonderful tale for a bit longer than if the US had negotiated an end to the war at this battle.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2402
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/5/2008 10:50:55 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

The fragmentary reports Hibiki is receiving tell that the Japanese surface forces, groping for the enemy in the darkness, have collided with the powerful enemy battleship group that was covering the Efate landings. The Allies have more battleships, but this is offset in a series of chaotic nighttime engagements by the Japanese proficiency in making torpedo attacks.

In the end the two sides shoot each other to rags and are both forced to retire. Though tactically a draw this action puts an end to the last chance the Japanese have to salvage a win from the battle.

I am amazed beyond words at the output of exciting battle scenes in such a short period of time. BUT -- I'm also hopelessly greedy for more. Can we have an after-action review of the surface action? Did any BB's sink outright? How is Yamato faring?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2403
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/5/2008 11:35:34 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Well, the good news is (provided Hibiki makes it out this battle alive) we get to witness the long slow contraction of the Japanese empire from the eyes of our favorite destroyer crew. It will be interesting to read of how the morale of the crew changes over the next year as food, fuel and other shortages start to take their toll.

Not to mention what will become a world where there is not place completely safe, and there is no such things as relaxing in port because Allied planes can reach anywhere.

Still a ways off but at least we get to read CF's wonderful tale for a bit longer than if the US had negotiated an end to the war at this battle.

You know, that's exactly what I told myself when this battle was over: "At least this will make for interesting reading in the AAR." The game is now in March 1944 and Japan is struggling to hold back the rising Allied tide. Stay tuned!

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 2404
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 12:13:19 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

The fragmentary reports Hibiki is receiving tell that the Japanese surface forces, groping for the enemy in the darkness, have collided with the powerful enemy battleship group that was covering the Efate landings. The Allies have more battleships, but this is offset in a series of chaotic nighttime engagements by the Japanese proficiency in making torpedo attacks.

In the end the two sides shoot each other to rags and are both forced to retire. Though tactically a draw this action puts an end to the last chance the Japanese have to salvage a win from the battle.

I am amazed beyond words at the output of exciting battle scenes in such a short period of time. BUT -- I'm also hopelessly greedy for more. Can we have an after-action review of the surface action? Did any BB's sink outright? How is Yamato faring?

It was quite a fight, with several task forces involved. No battleships went down on either side during the battle, though the Japanese lost CA Maya. My opponent did say he was surprised at the amount of damage the Japanese inflicted on his two large battleship task forces. I will throw in more details, maybe even a bit of a narrative of the fight, if Hibiki reaches Kwajalein safely to learn of them.

Yamato and Musashi were not involved in this battle.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2405
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 12:22:37 AM   
ny59giants

What a contrast to the results of the CV vs. CV battle that ended the game between Honda and Ravendave. Almost the complete opposite.   So many hours spent playing the game (and writing the AAR) and only a few turns like these can decide the whole course of the war. The possibility of Japan winning the war have taken a turn for the worse.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2406
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 1:32:02 AM   
John 3rd

Cuttlefish--I will drink a bottle of Sake for you, the Empire, and the crew of the IJN Hibiki!

Terminus--In my Stock Game with Mandrake and my Big B 1.4 vs. Canoerebel, I will have ALL those carriers by June 1, 1943.  Acceleration is a wonderful thing...another 260+ planes may have made the difference for Japan in Cuttlefish's battle!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2407
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 1:51:52 AM   
Terminus

Yeah, acceleration... What a wonderful (and desperately artificial) boost to Japan...

Still, this is not the place to discuss that topic.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2408
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 2:15:56 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Well, I think it is a topic for this AAR - I'd love to know if any carriers have been accelerated in CF's game. I doubt he'll answer us directly, but maybe we'll see some hints in the narrative soon.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2409
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 2:59:52 AM   
princep01

Five CVs for one Br. CV!@!

Wow, the long sought "decisive battle" may have been fought and it is an Allied victory.  However, "decisiveness" in a war ranging over the area involved is a very subjective term.  While it is clear that the ability of the Japanese to wage offensive war in the Pacific is over, she is far from defeated.  Given the time of the game, the Allies will have to hurry along to win this war.

Oh, but what is that smell?  Burning carriers?  Bunker oil blazing on the surface of the Pacific?  Oh, nope, it is FDR and Churchill simultaneously burning the Japanese peace proposal.

A bloody war of attrition will now grind toward the Home Islands.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2410
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 3:30:03 AM   
histgamer

John the 3rd dont drink sake... I had some of that the other day and it was reatched stuff... then again my fault for getting the pear flavored (or was it peach flavored) kind... yea.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2411
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 3:36:15 AM   
BigDuke66

I really would like to know what is left of Japans CV force.

Does anyone have a clue which CV participated and what size they had?

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2412
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 3:40:13 AM   
histgamer

The whole fleet from the sound of it, he has listed what sunk also, I belive 4 of them? or was it 5.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2413
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 3:43:07 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

The whole fleet from the sound of it, he has listed what sunk also, I belive 4 of them? or was it 5.

From what Cuttlefish wrote - it sounds like all 12 IJN carriers participated: these 6 weren't attacked, and are apparently getting away without damage:
Junyo, Hiyo, Ryuho, Shoho, Zuiho, and Ryujo

Zuikaku - 1 torp hit

Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu, Shokaku are all sunk.

EDIT: Congrats to Cuttlefish for getting these guys away... i had suspected the US CVs would run them to ground.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 3/6/2008 3:46:37 AM >

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2414
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 5:15:17 AM   
histgamer

When and if his new CVs come online he will be in far worse shape than he was here but still able to deal the allies blows if they are not carefull... Of course that depends on whats left of his airwings.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2415
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 5:59:43 AM   
John 3rd

VERY good point! 

I cannot remember and am too lazy to go back to page 1.  Is this a Stock Game?  If it is--no matter what he does, he is done...

The Hibiki shall sail on however!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2416
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 6:01:51 AM   
John 3rd

OK.  Wasn't too lazy--it is Nik Mod.  The Japanese MIGHT have a chance to make it interesting as long as they are not GAMEY (Terminus--There is a Thread started for you in the War Room)! 

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 3/6/2008 6:03:03 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2417
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 7:16:03 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Yamato and Musashi were not involved in this battle.

Now that I think about it a little more, the battlewagon of most interest to the Hibiki would be the Nagato instead. Was she there?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2418
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 6:06:18 PM   
HMS Resolution

Well, with active Royal Navy participation in possibly the most important aeronaval battle of the Pacific War, the post-war political landscape should be very different indeed.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2419
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 9:28:42 PM   
histgamer

Hell one could easily aruge that the RN was the deciding factor in this battle.

(in reply to HMS Resolution)
Post #: 2420
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 9:30:08 PM   
histgamer

That last battle was alot like Gettysburg really. Ironic how people were comparing it to it. Ozawa's blunder sortta like Pickets Charge.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2421
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 10:17:32 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Well, I think it is a topic for this AAR - I'd love to know if any carriers have been accelerated in CF's game. I doubt he'll answer us directly, but maybe we'll see some hints in the narrative soon.

This will come up in the AAR in the future. I will make some general comments, though. First, I am playing this game pretty closely along historical lines. This includes setting a defensive perimeter pretty close to what Japan actually had (exceptions: Port Moresby, New Caledonia/New Hebrides, Baker Island), limiting activity in China, and not abusing the PDU feature. It isn't the way I play every game, but it's the way I wanted this one to go.

Second, wholesale acceleration of Japanese carriers takes a lot of industrial muscle. Honda cited the large industrial base he conquered in his game as the key to his remarkable carrier victory; these are resources Japan does not possess in this version of reality.

That being said, I think that Japanese leadership will respond to this unexpected and disastrous defeat by doing what they can to get more carriers into the water as soon as possible. But as in real life, it might well be a case of too little, too late...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Now that I think about it a little more, the battlewagon of most interest to the Hibiki would be the Nagato instead. Was she there?

Ah, I think you mean Mutsu, the ship that Taiki's brother serves on. Nope, Mutsu was not there either.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMS Resolution

Well, with active Royal Navy participation in possibly the most important aeronaval battle of the Pacific War, the post-war political landscape should be very different indeed.

And let's not forget that the only carrier prior to this battle to face the Japanese and come out ahead was Victorious.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 2422
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/6/2008 11:25:54 PM   
NormS3

Absolutely fantastic work!

Sorry for your losses, but I feel that myself and the rest of the forum will only continue to gain from your masterful storytelling.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2423
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/7/2008 1:44:42 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 21, 1943

Course: Northeast
Attached to: TF 4
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 2
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 218

Orders: Get Zuikaku safely back to Kwajalein

---

Hibiki steams slowly northeast, now part of Zuikaku’s forward screen. The sea is choppy under a flat gray overcast, but this suits the crew just fine. Anything that helps to hide them from Allied search planes is a good thing right now.

There is still no sign of any pursuit. They know the enemy carriers are still out there, though. From time to time during the day Hibiki picks up frantic broadcasts from damaged Japanese ships under air attack. These are ships from the surface action of two nights ago, ships that were too badly damaged in the fighting to get far enough away from the battle area. Several ships are lost in this fashion, including battleship Haruna and Hibiki’s sister-ship Akatsuki.

The reports deepen the gloom aboard Hibiki and the other surviving ships. It does not slow them down, however, and every mile of ocean that passes under their keels brings them closer to protective air cover from bases in the Marshalls and the Gilberts.

---

Riku and Oizuma stand along the rail, looking out at the gray swells. Shiro, just coming off duty, stops and joins them.

“Is there any news?” he asks. Riku shrugs. Oizuma glances over at him.

“Nothing really,” he says. “It sounds like the enemy carriers are still well to the south.”

“Good!” says Shiro. “Maybe that snake of yours is still protecting us, Oizuma.”

“You would not be the only one to think so,” says Oizuma wryly. “They have started leaving offerings again. Be careful where you step when you come down to sleep this evening.”

The men stand in silence for a moment, each deep in his own thoughts. Finally Shiro stirs.

“I wonder what happens next?” he says.

“What happens next?” says Riku. “We go on, of course. This was one battle. There will be others. We have been defeated today, but that does not mean the war is over. We keep fighting.” Shiro looks at him, startled. There is a firmness and conviction in his friend’s voice that is new. It helps shake off a little of his own depression.

“I meant, where do we go if we reach Kwajalein,” he says. “But you are right, we are not beaten yet.”

“Maybe we will go back to Japan?” suggests Oizuma.

“Don’t bet on it, Snake Man,” says a gruff voice from behind them. The three men turn to see Chief Petty Officer Shun standing close at hand. They come to attention.

“Relax,” Shun growls. The men do so. “You think they are going to be in a hurry to send any of these ships back to Japan?” Shun says. “I do not think so. We know too much, it would be bad for morale at home.”

As the sailors digest this Shun turns his gaze on Riku.

“That was well spoken,” he said. “I’ve heard enough sniveling and moaning today to make me sick, Ariga, but you talked like a man. Damn right we keep fighting. If those dirty American devils and their British friends think they know what it takes to beat us then let them think again!” He turns and stalks away.

The three watch him go. “Come on,” says Shiro after a moment. “Let’s go get some food.”

---

Headline from a major Tokyo newspaper for November 21:

Japanese Carriers Victorious in South Pacific

All Japan rejoices today at the news that a large British and American carrier force has been defeated by our brave sailors and airmen. In a battle near the Santa Cruz Islands six enemy aircraft carriers have been sunk. Japanese forces, determined to secure the victory, are pursuing the shattered remains of the enemy fleet to the southwest…

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2424
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/7/2008 2:46:11 AM   
Onime No Kyo

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2425
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/7/2008 6:45:52 AM   
histgamer

HAHAHA I didn't see Shun coming there... I love that guy.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2426
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/7/2008 2:50:25 PM   
tocaff

What's wrong with Shun?  He's going soft and talkative?  At least he is still the ship's apparition that appears without warning.  The battle must've hit him hard.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2427
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/7/2008 10:28:47 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Japanese Carriers Victorious in South Pacific

All Japan rejoices today at the news that a large British and American carrier force has been defeated by our brave sailors and airmen. In a battle near the Santa Cruz Islands six enemy aircraft carriers have been sunk. Japanese forces, determined to secure the victory, are pursuing the shattered remains of the enemy fleet to the southwest…

That sounds very much like what could be expected!

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2428
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/8/2008 1:53:44 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 22, 1943

Fuel: 189

---

Singly, in pairs, or in large task forces, the Japanese ships fall back on Kwajalein. The Allied forces remain concentrated near Efate. Port Vila, the major town there, is quickly overrun by the invaders and the Japanese forces withdraw into the interior of the island to continue resisting as best they can.

In Japan the celebration of the reported Japanese victory continues. In the Allied countries the news of the battle is somewhat more accurately reported, and morale climbs sharply. Determination to see the war to its conclusion is renewed. President Roosevelt confers briefly with Prime Minister Churchill and then issues his unconditional surrender decree. It is understood without needing to be said that the Japanese peace proposal is dead and buried.

Both sides know that the war is a long ways from over. The Japanese are still strong and are by now heavily dug into their island bases. Whether or not these defenses are strong enough to stand up to the coming Allied offensives remains to be seen.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2429
RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle - 3/8/2008 1:55:36 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 23, 1943

Fuel: 161

---

“That is the best sight I have seen in several days,” comments Lieutenant Sugiyura. He is gazing through binoculars at a G4M bomber cruising high above the task force. The bomber is out of Kwajalein; there are a lot of them there, and a lot of fighters, and everyone aboard breathes more easily knowing that they are now within range of friendly air cover.

“It is indeed welcome,” says Captain Ishii. “We should reach Kwajalein within two days.”

“What will happen then, sir?” Sugiyura asks. “Do you think we will be sent out again soon? It occurs to me the enemy may be overconfident and not expecting us to return. It might be a chance to catch them off guard and avenge our defeat.”

Captain Ishii scowls irritably. “How should I know, Lieutenant?” he says. “I am not some kind of fortune teller and I am not wearing an admiral’s uniform. We will refuel. We will reprovision. We will do whatever the Imperial Navy orders us to do.”

“Of course, Captain,” says Sugiyura. “But I was just thinking about the recent battle and wondering if…”

“I am wondering if you should stop chattering like an annoying fishwife and see to your duties,” snaps Ishii.

Sugiyura winces. “Yes sir,” he says stiffly. He faces about and stands rigid, looking out at the sea. Elsewhere on the bridge everyone else suddenly becomes very busy and they are carefully not looking at either of the two officers.

Captain Ishii sighs to himself. He knows he has just been unfair to the enthusiastic young torpedo officer. It has been very difficult to keep his temper in check during these last few days. For a moment pride prevents him from saying anything, but then he steps forward next to Sugiyura.

“My apologies, Lieutenant,” he says quietly. “Keep thinking aggressively, I like to see that kind of spirit.”

“Yes sir,” says Sugiyura, a little less stiffly.

“You have the bridge,” the captain says. “I will be in my cabin.” He then matches actions to words and departs.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2430
Page:   <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War - the Decisve Battle Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI