Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/26/2008 9:54:09 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 8, 1943

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
System Damage: 1
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders

---

Corporal Umeda, formerly Lieutenant Umeda of the Tokeitai, lurks in an alley near the Tokeitai offices in Tokyo. He is very nervous about being this close to his former post; there are too many people here who would recognize him and who would no doubt be happy to turn him in. And as a deserter he knows what fate awaits him if he is caught. There will be a brief hearing for the sake of form, followed swiftly by his execution.

But his hatred and desire for revenge is greater than his fear and so he waits in the alley, peering around several large trash cans at the people passing by in the street. He is waiting for someone, and after a few more minutes he spots him passing by. He emerges from behind the trash cans and hurries to the mouth of the alley.

“Ichikawa!” he hisses at the back of a man walking towards the Tokeitai building. “Hey, Ichikawa!” Lieutenant Ichikawa turns curiously and walks back towards the alley. As he gets close he sees Umeda. His eyes widen in surprise.

“Umeda!” he says. “What are you doing here?”

“Waiting for you,” says Umeda. “Look, I need a favor. I need a couple of personnel files, for Ishii and Shun of destroyer Hibiki. I need to know where they live.”

“What?” says Ichikawa. The officer’s eyes widen in his thin face, which somehow always reminds Umeda of that of a rabbit, and he looks around nervously to make sure no one else is watching them. Then he looks back at Umeda. “Are you mad? You are a deserter. If I am caught helping you they might shoot me, too!”

“Just this one favor for a friend,” says Umeda. “Then I will leave and never bother you again.”

“Friend?” says Ichikawa. “We were not friends, Umeda. We were fellow officers and acquaintances. Have you learned nothing from what has happened to you? Give up these mad plans of revenge. Go back into hiding, and be glad I do not turn you in this moment.”

Anger fills Umeda, banishing reason, and he steps out of the alley towards Ichikawa. “You always were a soft little fool, Ichikawa. You will help me or your family will be next. And I already know where they live!”

Ichikawa gapes in astonishment and fear at Umeda. Then he turns towards the Tokeitai building, some 100 meters up the street. “Guards!” he yells. “Guards, help!”

Panic grips Umeda. This must be stopped! Without thinking he pulls from his pocket an old Type A Nambu pistol, the only gun he has been able to get his hands on. He points it at Ichikawa’s back and pulls the trigger three times.

For a wonder the weapon does not jam. Ichikawa’s cries end abruptly in a choked gurgling noise and he pitches forward onto the damp, slushy street. The amount of blood spreading across the back of his uniform astonishes Umeda, who stands staring in horror at what he has just done. A woman standing nearby screams.

Feeling dazed, Umeda kneels and rolls Ichikawa over. Maybe he will be all right, Umeda thinks desperately. Ichikawa slowly turns his head and looks at him, his eyes filled with pain and confusion.

“You…” he chokes out, then his legs spasm once and he goes still. Other people are now pointing and yelling and from the Tokeitai building two guards are running in his direction, rifles in hand. Umeda stands and runs down the street away from them, still clutching the pistol. The sidewalk is crowded and he pushes or knocks aside several people who get in his way. Behind him the guards reach the Ichikawa’s body. One raises his rifle and aims at the retreating Umeda, but there are too many people to give him a clear shot. The guard lowers his weapon. At his feet Ichikawa’s blood flows among the cobblestones and mixes with the sluggish water trickling down the gutter.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2491
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/26/2008 10:26:49 PM   
Dixie

Bravo!  And keep up the good work

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2492
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/27/2008 1:09:43 AM   
tocaff

In the end Umeda will be appropriately dealt with by none other than Shun.  Just my thoughts....

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 2493
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/27/2008 1:42:10 AM   
princep01

Me thinks that Mr. Cuttlefish has grand plans for the manaic, Tokeitai Frankenstein, aka/ Corp. Umeda.  Only our storyteller knows for sure.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2494
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/27/2008 5:21:23 AM   
BigDuke66

Suddenly I had a bad feeling about Umeda and the direction the story could take.
I really hope we don't see anykind of "idiot kills the hero" ending.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2495
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/27/2008 5:29:23 AM   
Capt. Harlock

For a second time Umeda's trigger-happy intincts have gotten him into disaster. I'm pretty sure this was not the typical result when IJN officiers managed to get the better of the Tokeitai -- but it makes for a gripping read!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2496
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/27/2008 9:50:08 AM   
Barb

Umeda reminds me Elkanah Bent from North and South Trilogy (by John Jakes).

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2497
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/27/2008 12:26:16 PM   
Terminus

Good one. He DOES have disturbingly Bent'ish traits.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 2498
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/27/2008 3:22:56 PM   
BigDuke66

Yea Bent that fits perfect!
I really hate the scene where he shoots Orry Main.
Looks so damned cheap.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2499
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/28/2008 12:25:27 AM   
Cuttlefish

December 9, 1943

---

Excerpt from “Japanese Destroyer Attack!” by Shiro Kuramata, Ballentine Mori Press, 1959. Translated by Captain Ben Packard, USN (ret.). Original Japanese title: “Small Ship, Big War”.

The weeks following the defeat were difficult ones for us. Hibiki remained at anchor in Kwajalein lagoon, and while the officers tried to keep us busy there was only so much to do. We spent much time ashore. Many of the men drank more heavily than usual and there was a heavy feeling to the air that the bright sunshine did nothing to dispel.

For most of us this was the first time we had had to face the possibility of defeat. We were not fools. We had all seen the enemy’s growing strength and knew that there was no chance of sweeping the enemy from the Pacific. But we had never seriously thought that the enemy might be able to sweep us from the Pacific, either. Yet in the aftermath of the carrier battle we knew that their power was now such that it might happen. Fears and doubts wormed their way into our thoughts. I will say, though, that we were not so much afraid for ourselves as for our families and for our country. We still believed that Captain Ishii and Hibiki could bring us through any peril. But our survival would mean little if Japan was defeated.

Captain Ishii was aware that morale was suffering and that the men had too much time on their hands. That is why Ariga and I were summoned to his cabin one day and given a most unusual assignment…

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2500
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/28/2008 4:33:39 AM   
kaleun

Aaaaarghhh!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2501
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/28/2008 4:51:40 PM   
napoleon1066

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Aaaaarghhh!

They become pirates?

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest!

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 2502
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/28/2008 7:08:11 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

That is why Ariga and I were summoned to his cabin one day and given a most unusual assignment…

Thus was Karaoke invented.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to napoleon1066)
Post #: 2503
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/28/2008 7:09:50 PM   
Terminus

I refer you to Kaleun's post...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 2504
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/29/2008 5:42:10 AM   
Cuttlefish

December 10, 1943

---

Captain Ishii and Lieutenant Miharu are conferring in the Captain’s cabin.

“…that’s how it looks to me,” Ishii is saying. “What is your opinion, Exec?”

“The same,” replies the lieutenant. “The crew is still ready for a fight, but the mood here in port is poor and the longer we stay here, idle, the more it will affect them.”

Captain Ishii paces a few steps, about as far as he can go in the cramped cabin. “We need to give the men something to do, something that will keep them sharp and put an edge back on their fighting spirit. Chipping paint is not going to do it. Calisthenics would be a good start, and maybe we should start up Sugiyura’s combat classes again.”

“That might help,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “But I think we need something to really hold their interest and to create a spirit of competition.”

“Sugiyura could hold a tournament,” muses Ishii. “But I’d like to see something that has the men working together, as well. Something like…ah, I have it!” The lieutenant gives him a curious look, and with increasing enthusiasm Captain Ishii proceeds to explain his idea.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2505
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/29/2008 5:46:15 AM   
Cuttlefish

December 11, 1943

---

Captain Ishii is seated at the desk in his cabin when there is a knock on his door. He tells whoever it is to come in and the door opens to reveal Shiro and Riku. The two sailors step in, looking slightly nervous.

“Ah, Ariga and Kuramata,” says Captain Ishii. “Relax, I have a job for you two.” He rises from his desk and throws open a trunk. He rummages around inside it for a moment and pulls out a baseball glove, which he hands to Shiro. Shiro turns it around in his hands as he looks it over.

What he is holding bears little resemblance to the baseball gloves that Japanese and Americans will use sixty years hence. In fact even Captain Ishii’s hero Hank Greenberg might think it was on the small side, though any American ballplayer from the World War I era would recognize it readily enough. It is made of stitched leather, just a little larger than an ordinary glove one would wear as protection against the cold. Leather straps form a small pocket between the thumb and forefinger.

“I am told you are the best craftsman aboard the ship,” the captain tells him. “I want you to make eighteen of these. Oh, and make a few to fit the right hand as well. I also need you to make some baseball bats. Use the hardest, finest-grained wood you can find.”

“Yes sir,” says Shiro automatically. Whatever he had been expecting when he was summoned to Captain Ishii’s cabin, it certainly wasn’t this. Captain Ishii turns to Riku.

“You, Ariga,” he says, “will obtain the leather and wood that Kurumata needs. And see how many baseballs you can find. We may need several, I expect that Chief Shun will be playing. I have spoken to your superiors, you are both released from other duties until this job is done.”

“Yes sir,” says Riku.

“Good,” says Captain Ishii. “Work as quickly as possible, I want to begin tryouts tomorrow.”

“Tryouts, sir?” says Shiro.

Captain Ishii smiles at him. The captain’s face has been rather more dour than usual lately, but right now it is alight with enthusiasm.

“Yes indeed," he says. "We are going to play some baseball."

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2506
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/29/2008 5:47:57 AM   
Skipjack

Sounds like it is opening day for the Hibiki baseball season - I can hear Captain Ishii say "Play Ball!" Good timing, with opening day just a few days away.

< Message edited by Skipjack -- 3/29/2008 5:51:56 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2507
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/30/2008 2:38:40 PM   
Durbik

[just pushing Hibiki up, no second page for this aar]

obey the fist!

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 2508
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/30/2008 11:24:47 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 12, 1943

---

Allied invasion forces are spotted approaching Luganville on Espiritu Santo. No defensive action is contemplated by the Japanese forces on Kwajalein. The island has already been written off and the remaining garrison there given up as lost. It galls the Japanese to give up the place without a fight and saddens them to think of the brave men there who will soon be dead, but there is nothing to be done. At the moment there are not enough ships in the Marshalls to stop a force half the size of the one now bearing down on Luganville.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2509
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/30/2008 11:27:52 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 13, 1943

---

Shiro drafts a couple of helpers and gets busy making baseball equipment. Captain Ishii, meanwhile, announces tryouts for two teams, one to be lead by himself and one by Lieutenant Sakati. They will play several games against each other to hone their skills, then the best players will form a team to challenge teams from other ships in the anchorage. The Navy has constructed a very nice baseball field on Kwajalein itself, one that is seeing little use at the moment.

Ishii expects that competition to earn a place on one of the two teams will be keen. He also thinks that the games should engage the interest of most of those who are not playing. The sport is very popular in Japan and it will give the sailors something to talk about and, more important, something to bet on.

---

“Me, sir?” Taiki says. “Of course, sir, if you order it, but I don’t know the first thing about baseball.” Captain Ishii has just asked him if he would consider being the umpire for the upcoming games.

“It is not an order,” says Ishii. “It is a request. But I think you would be a good choice. You have a keen eye for angles and trajectories. More important, you are widely respected and well regarded as fair by your fellow crewmen. Your impartiality would not be in doubt. As for the rules…” He reaches into his pocket and draws out a battered little book, which he hands to Taiki. “Here they are. I know how quickly you memorize things.”

“Well then of course I accept, sir,” says Taiki. “Though wouldn’t an officer be a better choice?”

“Not at all,” says Ishii. “I want the men to feel free to speak their mind to the umpire, and having an officer in that position might inhibit them. As a petty officer, though, you will be in a good position to deal with everyone on the field, from officers to enlisted men.”

“Yes sir,” Taiki says with more enthusiasm than he really feels. He does not know much about baseball, but he does know that in the Japanese version of the game umpires are not treated the same way they are in America. Fans will invariably be polite, of course, but players may routinely heap verbal and physical abuse upon them. “It should be…interesting.”

Captain Ishii grins at him. “Oh yes,” he says. “It will be that.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2510
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2008 1:37:38 AM   
tocaff

Fleet champs from the Hibiki?  What are the odds of them with a small crew beating the team from a CA or BB?  Could Shun be the ringer of a hitter hinted at?  There should be lots of Yen floating around betting on the games soon.  Who cares about the war?  PLAY BALL!  

Todd

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2511
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2008 3:29:52 AM   
Feinder

For one thing, they need team names!  Don't forget!

I can see it now.  The crew of the Hibiki holds the pennant for the IJN, and the 5th Div for the IJA.  It's a dubviously ref'd game, bottom of the nineth.  Hibiki is down 5-4, 1 out, Ariga on 2nd and Shun at bat.  The 2nd pitch is "wild" and glances Shun in the kneck.  Shun calmly stalks up to the pitcher's mound, without dropping the bat...

-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 3/31/2008 3:30:13 AM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2512
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2008 4:30:40 AM   
bradfordkay

One batting box glare from Shun, and it would take quite a pitcher to throw inside.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2513
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2008 4:40:44 AM   
tocaff

The team's name would be a certain snake's name.  She is a talisman and now could be a team mascot also.

Runner on 2nd, Shun at the plate...intentional walk.  Of course on the next play he would break up a sure double play by sliding in very hard at 2nd and the defensive player would drop the ball while the tying run scored.  Game called due to air raid....

Todd

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2514
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2008 5:59:13 AM   
Feinder

97,000 hits!

Holy Shiznit baby!

Way to go CF!

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2515
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2008 2:38:38 PM   
Andy_MKST

"We may need several, I expect that Chief Shun will be playing."

Priceless...

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2516
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2008 5:48:32 AM   
Cuttlefish

December 14, 1943

---

Most of the crew goes ashore to watch or participate in the tryouts. No one gets to be a spectator at first, however. Lieutenant Sugiyura leads the assembled crew in a vigorous round of calisthenics. While the men rest afterwards Lieutenant Sakati and Captain Ishii get the tryouts organized.

Competition is expected to be keen for a spot on one of the two teams. Many of the men have played before, at least casually, and a handful of men have more extensive experience. Several of the enlisted men have played for company teams in the past. To everyone’s surprise it turns out that that the noted drinker, Seaman Moshizuke, was once a promising shortstop and played professionally for a few months before going into the navy. The medic, Lieutenant JG Nakagawa, played center field for Hosei University in Tokyo, and Petty Officer Okubo was a pitcher who once had a tryout with the Hankyu Baseball Club of the Japanese Baseball League.

Ishii and Sakati next put the contenders through an extensive series of drills; running, batting, fielding, and throwing. Both take extensive notes. Later, after they and the men return to the ship, the two get together in the captain’s cabin and create their teams using a method any schoolboy would quickly recognize; they take turns picking players until both have a team of fifteen.

So far it seems that Captain Ishii’s plan to divert the men and give the crew something else to think about has been a success. The ship is filled with comments about the tryouts and speculation about who will make the teams. This speculation is accompanied by some spirited if low-level betting. Hibiki is still stuck at anchor in the December sunshine, but for the moment at least speculation about defeat is replaced by speculation about curveballs and double plays.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2517
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2008 8:28:04 PM   
Cuttlefish

December 15, 1943

---

Captain Ishii christens his team the Tigers, while Lieutenant Sakati names his team the Dragons. Paymaster Kataoka handles the betting for the first game, which will be held in three days. The odds initially climb to 4 to 1 in favor of the Tigers on the basis of Ishii’s superior baseball knowledge and on the fact that Shun will be the Tiger’s catcher. They drop to 3 to 1 as some of the more superstitious reflect that Benzaiten is more likely to favor a team named the Dragons. The odds go down to 2.5 to 1 when it is learned that Okubo will be pitching for the Dragons. Okubo is not widely admired but he is the best pitcher on board and those who understand baseball understand the importance of pitching.

Hibiki has been away from Japan for some time and the men have had few chances to spend their pay. Consequently Kataoka is soon holding a considerable amount of money, with all bets meticulously recorded. This raises interest in the upcoming games to an even higher level. Even those who have no interest in sports or competition have an interest in money.

---

Petty Officer Okubo is at first indignant that any team with himself as the pitcher should be the underdog. After reflecting on things, though, he begins to see an opportunity. If he bets a large sum of money on his own team he might make a small fortune if he wins. And he intends to win. He trusts his ability, of course, but only a fool gives his opponent a fair chance at victory. He begins to reflect on what else he might do to guarantee that his team comes out on top.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2518
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2008 11:15:03 PM   
Feinder

quote:

Petty Officer Okubo is at first indignant that any team with himself as the pitcher should be the underdog. After reflecting on things, though, he begins to see an opportunity. If he bets a large sum of money on his own team he might make a small fortune if he wins. And he intends to win. He trusts his ability, of course, but only a fool gives his opponent a fair chance at victory. He begins to reflect on what else he might do to guarantee that his team comes out on top.

Are the players even allowed to bet?  Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest there...  Some guy named Pete Rose comes to mind... 

-F-

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2519
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2008 11:20:52 PM   
bradfordkay

I wonder how many of these guys are concerned with making the Combined Fleet Hall of Fame?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2520
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI