Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/30/2008 12:57:42 AM   
Terminus

Other way around.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 2731
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/30/2008 1:28:05 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

It is like Lord of the Rings (thinking more of the book) in Japan this is the calm before the storm. The black war clouds are gathering and the hords of enamy troops are nocking at the gate. Japan does not have the military power to resist this assult and in the end defeat must result. However the question is how long may they hold out and can they obtain victory with other avenues unlooked for...

With Tokyo as Gondor? Hmm...it's a stretch. But I suppose if nine of Hibiki's crew can make their way to America and throw the One Ring into Mount Saint Helens then Japan might still win the war.

But let's not go there. That is a crossover fanfic that just isn't going to happen.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2732
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/30/2008 1:30:03 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 21, 1944

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders.

---

“Have a good leave, Chief,” Ishii tells Shun. The petty officer is standing near the head of the gangway, a small duffel dangling from one hand.

“Thank you, sir,” says Shun. “I will be back with my family within the week. There are matters to take care of.”

“I understand,” says the captain. “I think you have made the right decision.”

Shun does not reply to this, he merely nods briefly. “Permission to go ashore, sir?”

“Granted.” Shun salutes and departs, down the gangway and along the pier out of sight.

---

Those members of the crew who are healthy and not granted early leave are kept very busy. The ship’s three Kampon boilers are scaled and cleaned. The ship’s water storage tanks are cleaned and refilled and there is a lot of maintenance done on the pipes. The heads, bunk areas, galley, and mess rooms are steamed, scraped, and repainted. Other routine maintenance is done as well and Hibiki is quickly ready once again for whatever mission the Imperial Japanese Navy wants to assign her next.

At the moment, however, calm reigns in the Pacific. The enemy fleets have vanished and the Allies seem to be content for now with building up their new base in the Admiralty Islands. Where and when they will strike next is the number one question currently being asked by the Japanese high command. Hibiki’s officers and crew are not privy to these speculations but they are reasonably sure that their next orders to sail will come when the enemy attacks again, whenever and wherever that might be.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2733
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/30/2008 9:50:50 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 22, 1944

---

“Just keep on going down this road,” says the old farmer to Morito. “Shun’s house is just past where the road bends around that hill, a stone cottage on a rise to the right.”

“Many thanks,” says Morito. Behind him the man he knows as Suzuki listens intently.

“No trouble,” says the farmer. “But if you are coming here trying to arrange a marriage to that pretty daughter of his I wouldn’t bother. Mister Shun wouldn’t listen to you even if you were driving a fancy car and wearing a silk top hat. And I mean no offense, but you gentlemen don’t look like you have anything like that.”

“No, no,” says Morito. “We are just, um, old navy acquaintances paying a visit.”

“Then you’re in luck,” says the farmer. “Shun will be home on leave tomorrow, or so I hear.”

“Really?” says Umeda, speaking for the first time. “Well, that is very good news indeed. We thank you.”

“It was no bother,” says the farmer, and turns away with a wave. Morito and his companion wait until he is out of earshot, then speak together in low tones.

“What luck!” says Morito. “Now you can speak to your friend directly. If he will help us we could hide out here in the Ryukyus until the end of the war. Come, let us go call at the house immediately!”

“Wait,” says Umeda. “Perhaps that is not wise. We do not wish to risk giving offense by intruding on Shun’s homecoming. Let us wait until after he has arrived and had a chance to greet his family.”

“That makes sense,” says Morito. “You are a clever man, my friend. But where shall we spend the night?”

Umeda looks around, then points down the slope to where breakers from the East China Sea roll slowly in towards the shore.

“We can camp on the beach tonight,” he says. “Perhaps we can make a shelter out of driftwood.”

Morito looks up at the sky. “Well, it does not look like rain and it isn’t too cold,” he says. “Let us try your plan.” The two men continue along the road until they find a path leading to the beach. They are not worried about being discovered here. Though they are close to the village of Kunigami the northern end of Okinawa is sparsely populated and at any rate the islanders tend to mind their own business.

---

Towards evening Morito sets down an armload of firewood and stands looking out at the ocean. “I am glad we came here,” he says. “It is very pretty here and very peaceful. One can almost forget there is a war.”

Umeda comes up behind him. “Yes,” he says. “It is very peaceful.” From his pocket he silently pulls his old pistol. “I wish to thank you for your help in getting here,” he says quietly. “I really do appreciate it.”

“It was nothing,” says Morito cheerfully, still looking seaward. “It is what any friend would do for another.”

“Is it?” murmurs Umeda. “I think perhaps I do not know much of friendship.” There is a pause. “I am truly sorry,” he adds, then brings the pistol up level.

He pulls the trigger three times.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2734
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/30/2008 10:24:00 PM   
Terminus

You know, I'm starting to dislike this Umeda character...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2735
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 12:56:51 AM   
tocaff

Wait until Shun or whomever gets their hands on Umeda. 

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2736
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 5:03:30 AM   
Onime No Kyo

You know, I'm starting to foresee Ariga saving Shun's life.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2737
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 6:46:58 AM   
Feinder

So who's brother was it that just got killed?

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2738
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 7:34:50 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

So who's brother was it that just got killed?

-F-

It was First Officer Miharu's brother. Let me highly recommend the "dramatis personae" summary on Page 57 of this epic.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2739
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 7:44:50 AM   
bbbf

Well, it will make Miharu's life a little easier - if a little sadder.

Robert Lee

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2740
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 8:05:35 AM   
FeurerKrieg

I expect his wife will feel even worse then he will.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 2741
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 8:56:46 AM   
histgamer

He pulled the trigger 3 times... let us not forget that thats a pretty crappy pistol and CF said when Umeda used it earlier that he was lucky it didnt jam... perhaps we are missing a struggle on the beach? Or so I hope.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 2742
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 2:32:33 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You know, I'm starting to dislike this Umeda character...

Yeah, he turns out he isn't the sympatico-type Cuttlefish had made him out to he earlier...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2743
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 2:45:13 PM   
Terminus

He always seemed so likable and unfairly victimized by the rest of the world...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2744
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 10:23:24 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Most of the war news for the past few months, in fact, has centered on Burma. Much has been reported of the heroic stand of the Japanese Army at Mandalay, where a large Allied army has been stalled for many weeks. Attempts to outflank the city and force the Japanese to retreat have been made on both flanks. The result has been that the Japanese position in Burma resembles a huge horseshoe, with Mandalay at the top of the curve. Japanese newspapers boast that the stand at Mandalay is proof that Japan’s new empire is unassailable and that the bright dream of a Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is in fact a reality.

Sounds intriguingly like Grant and Lee at Petersburg. (Pity WitP won't allow Wolffpack to pull off a Battle of the Crater.) Alas, this will not concern Hibiki and her crew, since my guess is the Indian Ocean in unsafe for IJN vessels by this point.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2745
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/1/2008 10:31:58 PM   
Terminus

Early '44? Probably...

Post #: 2746
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 1:51:11 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 23, 1944

---

The Shun residence sits on a low rise overlooking the sea. Like most houses on Okinawa it is built much differently than houses on the mainland. It is a low stone structure with a roof of cemented tile, built to resist the typhoons that regularly strike the island. A pleasant stone walkway, flanked by low, neatly trimmed shrubs, leads up to the front door. A small stylized stone dragon crouches on the roof and looks down over this walkway. The dragon is a shisa, thought to bring luck to the house and those within.

Shun arrived at his home in the morning. Right now he and his daughter Nanami are sitting and talking while the widow Rin, his mother, prepares a snack. The conversation between father and daughter is taking place in Kunigama, a variant of the Okinawan language peculiar to the region, and would be incomprehensible to most other Japanese.

This pleasant little family scene is interrupted as the front door swings open. A ragged-looking man clutching an old Nambu pistol steps into the room. He sees Shun and his daughter seated across the room and springs forward. Rin Shun is in the way and the man thrusts the old woman aside. She falls with a cry and her tray of rice cakes and tea clatters to the floor.

Shun bounds to his feet with a roar of almost animal rage but he stops almost immediately as the intruder points the gun not at him, but at his daughter.

“Please don’t do anything rash, Chief Shun,” says Umeda. “I don’t want to shoot the girl, but I will. My apologies, old woman,” he says in an aside to the widow Shun. She is dragging herself along the floor, whimpering.

“Umeda,” growls Shun. “What do you want here?” Beside him Nanami stands stunned. Her stricken gaze darts from the gun to her grandmother and back.

“I have come to kill you,” Umeda says calmly. “You and your captain have destroyed me. I will return the favor. I think I may also kill that menace Ariga, if I live long enough.”

“Riku?” says Nanami.

Umeda grins nastily. “Do I detect some affection there? If I were you I would make other plans.”

Nanami turns a pleading gaze on Shun. “Father?”

“Don’t worry,” says Shun through gritted teeth. “He has neither the ruthlessness nor the skill to carry out his plans.”

“I don’t know about that,” says Umeda. “I have killed two men just getting here. One of them was your executive officer’s brother. Is that sufficiently ruthless for you?” Shun’s face turns even more grim.

“So the worm is growing a spine?” he says. “If I am not mistaken all that makes you is a snake.”

“Enough talk!” says Umeda. “Time to die, Chief Shun.”

Shun looks at his daughter, then back at Umeda. “What about the women?” he says. Umeda shrugs.

“I do not have anything against the women,” he says. “If you accept your fate quietly I assure you they will not be harmed.” The gun remains steady in his hand.

“Then I have no choice,” says Shun.

“Very good,” Umeda replies. “Your mother and daughter may wish to leave the room. There is no need for them to watch this.” Shun turns to his daughter.

“Nanami…” he says. Nanami suddenly wails and collapses backward into her chair.

“Nooooo!” she shrieks. Her legs kick and she beats her small fists against the air. “Noooooo!” Both Umeda and Shun stand stunned by the display. The hysteria is not only unexpected, it is very loud.

It is in fact loud enough to cover the sound of a rifle bolt being worked. It is not, however, nearly loud enough to cover the sound of the subsequent shot.

The bullet comes in from behind and to one side. It strikes Umeda behind his right shoulder blade and comes out near his sternum. The former Tokeitai officer staggers forward and falls to his knees. He looks down in disbelief at the hole in his chest and then looks back. Rin Shun braces herself and once again works the bolt on the heavy old Lebel infantry rifle that she has wrestled off the wall. The old woman raises the rifle once again, arms trembling, but there is no need. Umeda pitches face forward and lies still.

Nanami’s hysteria ends abruptly. She leaps to her feet and, lifting the hem on her kimono, runs over to help her grandmother.

Shun stands looking down at the body. “You did that on purpose,” he says to his daughter, lifting his gaze to where she is helping Widow Shun to a chair.

“Of course,” Nanami says calmly. “I knew he would hear Grandmother getting ready to fire.”

“She’s your daughter,” says Rin Shun to her son as she sits down.

“Are you all right, Mother?” says Shun, coming over to her.

“Yes, yes,” she says. “A bit bruised, but I am fine. Who was that unpleasant person?”

Shun looks over at the body. “A small person who thought he was big,” he says. “It finally got him killed.”

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/2/2008 2:43:45 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2747
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 1:55:50 AM   
Terminus

YEAH! Grandma Shun kicks righteous butt!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2748
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 1:57:37 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Most of the war news for the past few months, in fact, has centered on Burma. Much has been reported of the heroic stand of the Japanese Army at Mandalay, where a large Allied army has been stalled for many weeks. Attempts to outflank the city and force the Japanese to retreat have been made on both flanks. The result has been that the Japanese position in Burma resembles a huge horseshoe, with Mandalay at the top of the curve. Japanese newspapers boast that the stand at Mandalay is proof that Japan’s new empire is unassailable and that the bright dream of a Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is in fact a reality.

Sounds intriguingly like Grant and Lee at Petersburg. (Pity WitP won't allow Wolffpack to pull off a Battle of the Crater.) Alas, this will not concern Hibiki and her crew, since my guess is the Indian Ocean in unsafe for IJN vessels by this point.

Its amusing the way folks in any way interested in military history and living on this side of the pond try to find parallels to the Civil War.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 2749
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 2:04:05 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Go Granny!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to see where Shun gets it from.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2750
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 2:42:29 AM   
BigDuke66

Perfect END!

You may want to correct a word, grannys name is Rin Shun not Nin Shun or?

Post #: 2751
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 3:24:53 AM   
Fishbed

Kewl, kewl, and double kewl!

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2752
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 3:36:42 AM   
tocaff

So Shun's grit comes from his mom!

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 2753
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 3:43:28 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Any backstory to the rifle?

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2754
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 4:28:14 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Perfect END!

Typo corrected, thanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Yes indeed. This same rifle has already appeared in the AAR, in fact. Does anyone remember where?

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2755
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 4:32:12 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Perfect END!

Typo corrected, thanks.

quote:

Yes indeed. This same rifle has already appeared in the AAR, in fact. Does anyone remember where?

I'll take a WAG and say Shun brought it back from that pirate episode in Indochina.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2756
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 4:40:43 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll take a WAG and say Shun brought it back from that pirate episode in Indochina.

You are correct!

The Lebel Model 1886 rifle:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/2/2008 4:42:38 AM >

Post #: 2757
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 4:46:33 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Cavalry carbine?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2758
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 4:55:59 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

Cavalry carbine?

Hm, yes - which is a mistake. The one in the first picture is the shortened version of the Lebel, the standard French infantry rifle of World War 1, a variant that I don't think was created until well after 1919, which is when Shun acquired it. Here is one that more closely resembles the one Shun owns:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/2/2008 4:59:06 AM >

Post #: 2759
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/2/2008 5:04:55 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Tube magazine? Dear Thread!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2760
Page:   <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI