Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Amphibious penalties: where in the rules?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 10:09:41 AM   
coralsaw

Hello all,

I seem to recall that an attacker suffers amphibious penalties of -1 attack dice for each region over 2 of the amphibious chain. I can't find this in the rules though. Can anyone help tell me where in the rules this is mentioned, or at least verify that it's true.

Many thx

< Message edited by coralsaw -- 1/30/2007 6:55:49 PM >

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.
Post #: 1
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 12:17:52 PM   
GKar

I can't find anything about it in the manual either. Not sure if this is true or not.

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 2
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 1:46:13 PM   
coralsaw

Thx for the reply. One thing I can tell you for sure, I've seen -5 dice for amphibious attacks, so there must be a dice modifier somewhere.

Also, something that came up today, is there a special rule that forbids invading Japan? I have infantry at Bonin islands, and 3x transports (amphib 15) both in front of Japan and in Bonin island area, but I can't invade. What gives?

TiA

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. - Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 3
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 2:04:01 PM   
christian brown

Is it winter? Is the invading unit really starting from an island (you did not move it onto a TF fort for example, if you did, you need to put it back onto the island)? Do the invading ground units have supply?

Check these......good luck!

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 4
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 2:23:09 PM   
Tom Grosv

quote:

ORIGINAL: coralsaw

Hello all,

I seem to recall that an attacker suffers amphibious penalties of -2 attack dice for each region over 2 of the amphibious chain. I can't find this in the rules though. Can anyone help tell me where in the rules this is mentioned, or at least verify that it's true.

Many thx

Wasn't this a rule from WAW? I imagine AWD doesn't have it because of all the new difficulties involved in amphibious invasions.

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 5
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 2:51:06 PM   
coralsaw

@christian: yes, it's winter. duh. 

@tom: not sure about WAW, but the penalties sure stand now and I haven't seen anything in the rules.

(in reply to Tom Grosv)
Post #: 6
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 6:24:58 PM   
Forwarn45

I couldn't find it in the rules either, but the penalty is still there. From a quick test, it seems to be -1 attack die for each region more than 2. There is no additional evasion penalty, however, based on distance. It's important to be aware of this if you are using units from far away for an invasion, such as in the Pacific - as your units can still do it, but they may not hit anything. Anyway, a good rule to have - but maybe the manual needs a correction?

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 7
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 6:40:01 PM   
Forwarn45

Rule 8.5.4 from the original WAW =

"Penalty during amphibious invasion: Whenever a land unit conducts an amphibious invasion, for every region
moved over 2, the unit subtracts one die from the total attack dice it rolls (i.e. 1 or 2 regions moved no penalty, 3
regions -1 attack die, 4 regions -2 attack dice, etc.)."

I don't see this rule in the AWD manual, however?

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 8
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 6:42:22 PM   
coralsaw

Nope, it's not in there. Can we have it amended to the manual/README please guys?

TiA

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 9
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/30/2007 8:00:46 PM   
Joel Billings

Added to the rule Clarifications/changes/omissions thread.

(in reply to coralsaw)
Post #: 10
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/31/2007 3:11:50 AM   
Bubble

Does the region count include the region from which the unit starts, and/or in which it finishes? E.g., invading from W Germany into Scotland involves two North Sea zones, but is the count 2, 3 or 4?

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 11
RE: Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? - 1/31/2007 4:53:05 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bubble

Does the region count include the region from which the unit starts, and/or in which it finishes? E.g., invading from W Germany into Scotland involves two North Sea zones, but is the count 2, 3 or 4?

In this case it would be 3.

(in reply to Bubble)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Amphibious penalties: where in the rules? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI