Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mar 7-8

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mar 7-8 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mar 7-8 - 3/26/2007 9:59:09 PM   
moses

No stacking limits agreed to. Of course there are game penalties for stacking beyond a certain level as well as the effect of limited aviation support units.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 151
9-10 Mar - 3/28/2007 6:24:27 AM   
moses

9-10 Mar:

The march across Java continues and he is now adjacent to Batvia. His three armor units are just rampaging, driving me back one hex every single turn. His infantry is far behind so it is possible that if Batvia holds it may take him another week to come up and finish me off. Otherwise Batvia will fall on the 12th.

I still have no intell on his carriers but 6 BB's were sighted at Palenbang. I'm not sure what that means. 1 CV sighted at Singapore which tells me little. ---20 days until the invasion bonus expires.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 152
11-12 Mar: - 3/30/2007 3:38:38 PM   
moses

11-12 Mar:

The battle at PM will begin on the 13th. My three carriers, a heavy surface force and a large transport force will stage 3 hexes off PM on the 13th. I sent my B25's to PM from where they will bomb LAE. On the 14th my transports go to PM to unload the engineers and AA guns. I will have over 150 good fighters to fight the air battle. I also have over 100 P39's for low level work and to help tip the balance if needed.

Thunderstorms are predicted so anything could happen the first day. The best outcome would be for my bombers to hit Lae in the AM phase and for Lae to then send a weakened strike at my carriers during the PM phase which gets obliterated. Worst case is Jwilkerson shifts 200 betties and 200 zero's into Lae and they all fly in one mass towards my carriers. I'm not too worried about the Rabaul Betties as my carriers will be outside their zero range.

I've also sighted??? one CV and one BB at Truk. There are also 19 ships reported in that port. Previous turns have shown 1 or 2 ships at that port. Who knows how accurate those reports are. (They come from passing curser over the report and I have no actual recon assets looking at those locations).

Japan has begun using full 27 plane zero groups which indicates that he probably has finally taken on replacements. Preciously I was seeing lots of depleted squadrens. So hopefully the coming fight will oppose at least some green zero pilots.

The objective for the operation is first to get the added assets to PM which should make the base very difficult to close unless KB wants to sit on it for days on end. Currently Japan has not gotten close to closing it even with 100 betties bombing it several days in a row. With another big ENG unit plus good AA guns for the first time I should have a very strong base.

The second objective is to get into another big air attrition battle which kills a lot of his pilots. I really hope my B25's hit Lae this turn because that would tip the odds heavily in my favor. Without Lae his planes will be going into battle from long range which means lower effectivness and many more op losses.

< Message edited by moses -- 3/30/2007 3:40:39 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 153
PM - 3/31/2007 2:26:21 AM   
moses

13 Mar:

The battle begins and its not starting off well. My B25's did not fly at all. And then:

Day Air attack on Port Moresby , at 53,91

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 51

No Japanese losses
These guys flew in from the Admiralties and found air.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24

No Japanese losses
Likewise these guys from Lae.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 52
G3M Nell x 24
G4M1 Betty x 179

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 9 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported

Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 9
Runway hits 106

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G4M1 Betty bombing at 9000 feet....
But 200 bombers!!!!! All from Rabaul. I should note that he still has not managed to close the airfield. I have near 50 airfield service damage and only about 20 runway damage. Still he nailed my B25.

Day Air attack on TF at 51,93

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 51
G3M Nell x 13
G4M1 Betty x 18

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 24
F4F-4 Wildcat x 42

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 15 destroyed
G3M Nell: 2 destroyed, 9 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 17 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 14 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 25 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CV Hornet
CA Portland
BB Nevada
BB Colorado
--And this hurts. Yorktown may make it home but it will join my other two damaged carriers in drydock for some time.

So what now. Well I will just send the transports in anyway. My carriers are of course running for home. I have around 150 fighters in PM now and they will fight as best they can and success will depend upon many things. It's still bad weather and the Jap planes must be a little tired and their airfields must be overworked. Plus any bombers that attack the transports are at least not attacking my carriers. Maybe the raids will split leaving me with some good fighter battles. I'm thinking that even in the worst case my troops will reach land. After that I will just grimly defend PM for as long as possible.

I have to believe that this massive air effort indicates that PM will be the Jap main effort. Although it could be that he saw my fleet heading in and so tranfered everything in range to try for a quick kill. But I'm still also seeing heavy ships in Truk

< Message edited by moses -- 3/31/2007 2:28:12 AM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 154
PM - 3/31/2007 5:19:05 PM   
moses

Well the PM battle is over and it was a joke. 200 zero's and 200 Betties fly 600 miles from Rabaul and just decimate my entire air force. It's a 10-1 loss ratio over PM with me losing over 260 planes and him losing 26 zero's and a half dozen Betties. Finally some more Betties and Nell's find and sink the Yorktown.

The only good news is that my transport fleet was unmolested and my troops will make it ashore in good order. But my illusions (and obviously now they were illusions) of being able to obtain any air control at all over the area are gone. So do my forces have any chance of survival.

I now see large navel forces at Truk and a ton of AP's appear to now be a Palau. So I should expect the invasion fleet in the next two weeks which would just make the 30 March deadline for the invasion bonus.

The only realistic hope is that he may not know how much force is at PM and so may not have planed to bring enough. But all things considered I face a grim outlook. I really need some beers.

In other events Batvia falls with all its resourse centers intact.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 155
19 Mar - 4/1/2007 6:14:00 PM   
moses

19 Mar:

All my fighters are out of PM and he has begun to bomb the port each day with 200 Sally/Betty/Nells. My troops are doing their job!! 20 bombers were damaged with 4 lost and I only have 20 port damage to my base. Hitting the port is another indicator he is coming this way.

There is still a huge concentration of transports at Palau. This sure looks like his staging area but is it possible his main force is still there?? He is running out of time to get to PM before the invasion bonus runs out. I have subs along the route from Palau and at the choke points as he rounds Gili Gili. Maybe I can disrupt his ops a little.

Or it could be a diversion. I've noted a large concentration of heavy ships at Singapore (but no CV's sighted). I still have recon aircraft covering the Malaysian straights so I'm pretty sure nothing big has headed toward India. I should no if he heads that way but its strange that he hasn't eliminated my small airfields in that area.

PI: Yes I still have an army in the PI and Jwilkerson has finally made his move and advanced 12 units into Clark field. He has two divisions in Manila which are effectively neutralised. Earlier in the war his northern force consisted of one division, an inf Bde and a couple armor units. These guys suffered two painful retreats from Clark field and I will try to shock attack them out again tommorrow.

I don't know if he has brought another division or two to help so I have no idea what will happen. But he may believe that because he has been bombing me every day for the last three months that my forces are in bad shape. In fact many are at 0 disruption, very low fatigue (some at 3 or 4 points!!) and experience and morale are in good shape. Supply is getting a little tight. But I still have 7000 free supply at Clark and all units are fully loaded.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 156
20 Mar - 4/2/2007 7:25:37 PM   
moses

20Mar: Victory at Clark field!!!!!!! My troops drive two jap divisions, an inf Bde and a couple armor units back across the river with heavy loss. This must be very frustrating to Japan.

It was a close thing as I got 2-1 odds by a narrow margin. Supply is now becoming an issue as the shock attack burned off quite a bit. He will rest and recover but I suspect if he comes back in a week I will be unable to drive him out. I will try of course.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 157
RE: 20 Mar - 4/2/2007 10:34:39 PM   
ny59giants

Since I am always fearful of the Japanese taking the east pacific islands (Midway south to Sava), could you please list what you have defending each islands?? I feel that may be an option for him now that your CV force has been hit again.  

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 158
RE: 20 Mar - 4/2/2007 11:11:06 PM   
moses

Well Midway/Johnson/Palmyra all have an RCT and at least one CD/arty unit plus base forces. All are mined (1000+ each) and have been working exclusively on fortifications all game.

Canton has a full division with another full division to arrive in about a week. It also has artillery and engineers and over 1000 mines.

Pago Pago has a couple small ground forces para units/raider bn etc, and artillery.

Suva is the most lightly held with only the original NZ BDE and base forces. Arty units are en route but maybe 10 days out.

Numea is held by an RCT and the units retreated from rebaul which hold the 2 bases north of Numea. The Americal division is offloaded in a day with lots of added artillery and engineers.

Effete and Lugenville each have a Inf Bde. I have not built up these airfields so even if he takes them I will pound them from Numea.

Bassically there is nothing left on the west coast other then west coast command units.

He has done nothing in these areas all game. A few subs show up now and then but I doubt he has much of a sence of where my weaknesses are. I don't think taking one or two of these locations would hurt me much and to take a great chunk of these islands would be costly.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 159
RE: 20 Mar - 4/3/2007 1:07:00 AM   
ny59giants

My concern is that with your weak CV force as of now, any counter attack would need to be supported by you with LBA and "IF" he was to take that defensive line it would push back your timetable to start across the Central Pacific and make it more hazardous to supply/build-up Nz/Oz.
Taking that line should be SOP IMO for the Japanese.

I have never played the Japanese, but "if" and when I get a newer computer (mine now doesn't like WitP and crashes too much to play ), I feel that taking that line and holding each with just a brigade or so of troops would delay the counter-offensive of the Allies (or make it more time consuming). I wonder if he is going to go much beyond historical advances.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 160
RE: 20 Mar - 4/3/2007 5:10:49 AM   
moses

Well if you're playing a game where Japan is allowed to "OPTIMIZE" its first turn then it is not so hard to take a lot of these islands quickly. In our historical start it is not so easy. On 8 Dec Japan has only 2 CL's and 2 DD's in the Truk/Kwajelin area. So unless you divert KB to the task of taking these islands you are likely to get your clock cleaned.

I had all of these islands covered with superior naval force for the first critical weeks. Had he showed up with AP's and a DD or two he would have very likely lost his whole force. I mean how hard is it to keep a CA and 4 or 5 DD's stationed within a day of each of these islands.

So the only way to take them is too send carriers. With enough carriers Japan can take what it wants. But in the first couple weeks I don't think Japan has enough zero's and Betties to defend these islands. Those planes are needed in the DEI. As a result you will pretty much need to keep KB on station for a while.

So taking these islands early is a significant committment for Japan. Japan has to decide what is important. He chose, in our game, to send his carriers to support his operation to take Kendari/Ambonia through Austrailia where they were absolutely essential to his success. As a result I had the opportunity to shore up my island defences and as April approaches my defences are significant.

I think this is the most difficult moment for Japan because a choice now has to be made regarding its strategic direction. India/Perth/PM/Numea/ Pacific Island Chain/Hawaii!!!! are all options. Or he can just pull into a defensive shell. I'm guessing PM but he sure seems to be taking his time. Time will tell.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 161
RE: 20 Mar - 4/3/2007 2:27:01 PM   
ny59giants

IMO, the only things I would allow in a non-historical first turn are moving of forces by the Japanese between their major bases (Palua, Truk, Kwajalein, Home Islands, etc). Not to have invasion forces show up in places that would have had a chance of being detected. If they want to shift some of the PI invasion forces to the Marshalls in preparation, that's fine (as an example). As long as on the first two days Midway, Johnson Island, Canton Island, etc., are not all invaded and captured by the end of the first week while KB stays around Pearl until it has no more missions available. The first day has the free pilot pool, so that may be used to fill out the LBA and possibliy the adjustment of altitude of your planes as the Allies. I would not play a Lunacy game.
Just my philosophy.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 4/3/2007 2:36:05 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 162
RE: 20 Mar - 4/3/2007 3:52:05 PM   
moses

I used to agree with that view but not anymore.

First of all it is not historical. How do you justify moving a battle fleet to Truk without tipping off the allies? IRL if Japan sent its fleet out to all courners of the Pacific then certainly surprise would be lost. Plus the allies would likely make some moves of their own.

If you want to play a free deployment game then fine. Let the allies position their units wherever they want as well.

I've really come to believe that having all your units all headed to multiple objective on turn one is....well....cheating. Doesn't matter if they arrive on turn one or if Japan is NICE enough to wait for turn 3 to actually land.

You are still using the first turn exploit to allow the allied position to be overrun before it has any chance to react.

No offense to anyone as when I first started playing I worked hard at "optimizing" my first turn. Then I realized that this produced silly results so I started adding rules to restrict myself. For a while I would insist on all my ships (other then KB) being one day from a Japanese base and this seemed restrictive enough. But even that gave me an unfair advantage as for example I would have massive armies in Malaysia by the end of the first week.

So what if I can take India by availing myself of a big head start on the first turn. A lot of people complain that things which were completely impossible are easy in the game. (Such as taking India/Austrailia etc). In some cases they have a point. But in most cases the ability to conquer the map is just a reflection that most japanese players are winning the game on turn one.

Historical turn or scenario 16 is the only way to go for me as allied or as Japan.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 163
24 Mar - 4/5/2007 1:54:32 AM   
moses

24 March:

The expected invasion fleet still fails to appear. He's even stopped bombing PM the last couple turns. He seems to be content tidying up the DEI. My subs are all over the Truk/Rabaul area now and I have 12 patrol aircraft at PM. You would think I would have some indication of his carriers if they were around.

I've not seen his CV's in 20 days they could be anywhere.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 164
RE: 25 Mar - 4/5/2007 11:50:02 PM   
moses

25 Mar:

3 BB's and a bunch of CA's are 7 hexes east of PM. Recon says they are headed NE but that is suspect. For that matter they could be CV's but they are sitting on top of a bunch of my subs so that doesn't seem likely. They got to that position without being sighted so I guess a transport group could be coming behind them, but they would then seem to be coming from a strange direction. Why sail all the way around to the east when you have massive air superiority and a much more direct route? I don't see that a day or two of surprise buys Japan much here.----Or this could be a bombardment force intended simply to fix my attention at PM.

Another developement is that he is using elements of the Imperial Guard division to take the bases east of Singapore. This tells me that his future planes are fairly modest. With 4 divisions in the PI, 2 in Burma, 2 in Austrailia, and now Imperial guard occupied, an invasion of India seems a low probability.

In Burma Japan has made no effort to entrap my surrounded Burma Army which has been headed to Ledo for some time at 2 to 3 miles per day. Each day for the last three elements of this army have been crossing the river to attack Myintaki(sp) and then be retreated toward Ledo. All it would have taken was a single unit to pin my surrounded units and they would have died a fairly quick death. Now my Burma Army can be rebuilt.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 165
28 Mar - 4/7/2007 6:10:40 PM   
moses

28 Mar:

PM: Well I'm about giving up waiting for the PM invasion as it is nowhere to be seen and only three days remain for the invasion bonus. His surface force that was seen east of PM left the area. I wonder why they were there in the first place. Japan has taken every base around PM and is digging in. For my part I have an SBD squadren that has been doing a good job harrassing Japans landing at Buna. I've killed a couple PG's at least. Japan still bombs PM here and there but right now my base is at 100% repair.

Strategic Bombing: I bombed Pagan in Burma from India for the first strategic bombing strike of the war. Japan has no air force at all in the area so it was an easy training strike and took out almost half the resourses there. Japan seems a little upset that I bombed resourses and bombed resourses in China for the first time.

There may be some controversy here but I think my attack was fair and reasonably historical. Japan can defend those resourses at this point in the game by stationing a few zero squadrens there. If he wants to use his fighters elsewhere he cannot expect to have Burma as a free supply sourse indefinatle. Thoughts????

General: He is still cleaning up the DEI and my last recon unit, covering the Malaysian straights will go dark in the next day or two. My recon shows 9!!! BB's in the Malayan area and a ton of ships bases at Singapore. Maybe he is going to India. I still hold Clark field in the PI in good supply. To the east my second division will begin offloading at Canton tommorow. One of these is prepped for Tarawa in the event he does commit KB to India or Perth I want to be able to hit something on the other side of the world.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 166
RE: 28 Mar - 4/7/2007 8:09:08 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Strategic Bombing: I bombed Pagan in Burma from India for the first strategic bombing strike of the war. Japan has no air force at all in the area so it was an easy training strike and took out almost half the resources there. Japan seems a little upset that I bombed resources and bombed resources in China for the first time.

There may be some controversy here but I think my attack was fair and reasonably historical. Japan can defend those resources at this point in the game by stationing a few zero squadrons there. If he wants to use his fighters elsewhere he cannot expect to have Burma as a free supply source indefinable. Thoughts????

If there is an unspoken truce about bombing resources/oil in that part in that world (Burma/India/China), fine. However, if the resource centers are left intact in Burma, then they will furnish most of the supply he will need there. If you start bombing it, will he start bombing your's in China?? From his AAR, I think he wants this truce. So I guess its up to you. I would stop for the time and maybe suggest a notice of "x" days before you restart.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 167
RE: 28 Mar - 4/7/2007 8:38:14 PM   
moses

Yes I suppose he does. But is this really viable at some point? Like you said those resourse centers can support all of Burma on their own. And I think he should at least have to defend them.

This is the problem with any house rules . Whenever you say something can't be done it allows your opponent to ignore the legitimate threat. Same with players who say you can't invade India. Then the allied player strips India and sends everything to Burma.

We have no house rule about this. Only a general rule not to do unreasonable things. We spoke about his desire for me not to strategically bomb from China and I agreed linking that to his not bombing there either. I mentioned at that point that allied strategic bombing would occur at some point outside of China as it became historically appropriate.

I have not bombed to this point because I have not had secure bases which seemed appropriate for strategic bombing. Now that I have a level 6 base with 400 aviation pts, 1000 support points, an RAF HQ, multiple supporting satalite air bases, a stable ground front, and zero air opposition, it seems reasonable from an historical and game perspective to start hitting these targets.

Obviosly Japan would like a truce which disallows the use of the allied bombers to do their job. I would like a truce which keeps KB off of me. But fat chance.

So I stood down my bombers for a few days so things cool down. But I have to bomb eventually I think so I guess at the next good weather I will go at it again and if he wants to bomb China thats fine.

I just hate feeling that I'm doing something unfair when it doesn't seem unfair to me.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 168
RE: 28 Mar - 4/7/2007 9:20:07 PM   
castor troy

For me, HI, oil and ressources are too easy to destroy. And secondly I think it´s odd when you see an Allied "player" bomb all the former Allied HI, oil and ressources into oblivion. While there were air attacks on e.g. France it was not something like bombing Germany. In WITP the "normal" Allied player bombs everything he has in range, no matter if it was Allied territory the day before. Now it´s Japanese so bomb it... Normally the target is destroyed or nearly useless with one real Allied raid.

In my games I have house rules that prevents the Japanese player to bomb HI, oil or ressources in China and the Allied to bomb those sites at any Japanese held Allied territory. Everything may be bombed that was in Japanese hands on 7/41. Seeing hundreds of 4Es bombing Singapore, Hong Kong or perhaps Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne for days is something that was politically just not possible.

I came up with that rule when one of my early PBEM opponents had the glorious idea to send 5 US CVs on a suicide mission to Palembang to bomb the biggest oil site on the map. The result was my oil site completely destroyed with all US CVs several CA, CL and DD sunk. I asked what kind of move that was and got the answer that it was worth it because he gets better CVs back and I will lack the 5.000.000 oil points produced there throughout the war. I don´t have to say that this game was overall more than "strange" and it ended late 42 because my Japanese CVs wrecked havoc the whole year without having to fear to meet a US CV fleet. I was told that this is highly unrealistic and I should stop that. I just answered with a question if it is realistic to send 5 US CVs on a suicide raid losing everything but a couple of DDs.

Imagine an invasion of the West coast somewhere at a place with HI, oil or ressources. The next day 200 B17, B24 are on a strategic bombing raid on this city (base). It´s Japanese now, why shouldn´t we bomb it?

< Message edited by castor troy -- 4/7/2007 9:23:54 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 169
RE: 28 Mar - 4/7/2007 10:53:05 PM   
moses

Well certainly you are correct that strategic bombing is too effective. It should be harder to destroy the resourses or alternatively it should be easier to rebuild after a bombing.

On the other hand what if the opponent is putting up no defence whatsoever. I'm not sure the results of my first attack were unrealistic at all. 90 bombers coming in during the day with not an enemy aircraft in 200 miles and no flack at all. Hell my planes could cirlcle the city for an hour looking for their targets. Under those conditions you might actually be able to put a bomb in a pickle barrol from 10,000 feet.

But I see your point with the carrier raid.

I just don't see what good the heavy bombers are if the opponent just moves every plane in the area out and leaves vacant air space. Normally you would attack the airfields until you forced him to leave. Then once you've defeated his air force you could destroy the ground installations that are now at you're mercy. But here the theater is vacated voluntarily and apparently I'm not allowed to exploit it in any way.

I don't know what I'll do. Perhaps I'll bomb the airfields and then hit the resourses once a month and just take the hit in China.---Maybe you're house rule is best.

Post #: 170
RE: 28 Mar - 4/7/2007 11:01:07 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

Well certainly you are correct that strategic bombing is too effective. It should be harder to destroy the resourses or alternatively it should be easier to rebuild after a bombing.

On the other hand what if the opponent is putting up no defence whatsoever. I'm not sure the results of my first attack were unrealistic at all. 90 bombers coming in during the day with not an enemy aircraft in 200 miles and no flack at all. Hell my planes could cirlcle the city for an hour looking for their targets. Under those conditions you might actually be able to put a bomb in a pickle barrol from 10,000 feet.

But I see your point with the carrier raid.

I just don't see what good the heavy bombers are if the opponent just moves every plane in the area out and leaves vacant air space. Normally you would attack the airfields until you forced him to leave. Then once you've defeated his air force you could destroy the ground installations that are now at you're mercy. But here the theater is vacated voluntarily and apparently I'm not allowed to exploit it in any way.

I don't know what I'll do. Perhaps I'll bomb the airfields and then hit the resourses once a month and just take the hit in China.---Maybe you're house rule is best.

I do understand you! If there´s nothing more to do for your airforce in India because jwilkerson has completely abandoned the area except his ground troops then bombing his vital resources is a good way to bring his fighters back!

And you´re also right that bombers that attack a completely undefended target at daylight should be very effective if they find the target. Though those targets are still "friendly territory" occupied by the enemy. So thinking about levelling those places is more a political question than a military. Hitler had no problems destroying everything "friendly" that was lost. The Allied were a tad different I think.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 171
RE: 30 Mar - 4/8/2007 12:26:12 AM   
moses

30 Mar:

PM: My engineers have been very successful. A 200 bomber raid followed by a 120 bomber raid and my damage sits at 0/0/0. My SBD's have been hitting at Buna where he has about 6 zero's. I've hit a couple more MSW today and in general am have success here. I brought in 8 A-20s to hit Buna airfield and a group of Kittyhawks to fly CAP over PM. Last turn he came in unescorted so maybe my Kittyhawks will get lucky.

Still no sign of an invasion fleet or KB anywhere.

Burma: I've halted strategic bombing while I try to figure out what is fair. Jwilkerson has moved some Oscar's up to Pagan. Now I feel bad about attacking them!!! I complained that bombing the resourses was fair because he was putting up no defence. Now that he has a defence in place, if I blow them up on the ground I'll feel bad because he moved them there sort of/kinda under duress.

I'm stuggling toward some sort of house rule. Like: No strategic bombing of a target except by level bombers whose previous strike against a cities port/airfield met no air resisitance. Then you have to ask what constitutes resistance?? Are 8 Claudes enough?? Maybe I should say that if the previous level bomber strike takes no air-to-air losses then a strategic strike is allowed. But all of this is too complicated so perhaps I will just ban strategic bombing entirely.

India: My second UK division has arrived and my defense stiffens every day. Every beach is defended with something. I have a UK division dug deep into Madras which is almost imposible to defeat in the urban hex. Diamond Harbor and Chadpur each have indian Divisions and heavy armor and CD/arty. These bases are also heavily mined with 3500 at DH and about 2000 at Chadpur.

2 dutch ground units add to the defence as well as virtually the entire dutch air force which was evacuated in the last week of the Java campaign. My Burma army won't reach Ledo for another month and once it arrives it will need long term rest.

The only weak area in Columbo as this island can be fairly easily taken. I haven't wanted to commit units here where they can be destroyed. I have pulled all supply out of this island except for what I need. I won't be too concerned if he takes it because with all my air power in the area I dont think the island will prove too usefull. But it will be a nice target for me.

< Message edited by moses -- 4/8/2007 12:27:03 AM >

Post #: 172
RE: 30 Mar - 4/8/2007 12:48:20 AM   
spence

Though I love the game it does a very poor job of representing the Japanese as anything other than Americans with "funny" names for their ships and a fight to the last man ethic. Socialogical/cultural factors and values that may well have operated to the detriment of the Japanese war effort may freely be utterly ignored. The Japanese Player has no "game reason" to behave in a Japanese way.

Hence I would consider that the Allied Player has absolutely no reason to behave in a Western Social Democracy sort of way. If in your estimation, you can bomb resources to more effect than he can (and certainly eventually you can), then turn all of Asia into a cratered wasteland without the slightest qualms. I think even the PC crowd would be hard put to come to the defense of the rights of "cyberAsians" to life, liberty and a chicken in every pot. The same certainly applies to the rights of colonial cybercorporations.

< Message edited by spence -- 4/8/2007 12:49:40 AM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 173
RE: 30 Mar - 4/8/2007 2:47:38 AM   
moses

I don't see that as the problem. I really don't think the allies cared all that much about the Burmese and would have bombed their industry if it was effecient to do so. (Although I would be interested if anyone knows if this occured historically.)

The problem is how do you handle the situation fairly in a gaming sence when:

1.) Strategic bombing appears way too effective then IRL.
2.) The air to air model doesn't really allow much hope for the weaker side.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 174
RE: 30 Mar - 4/8/2007 5:06:25 AM   
stldiver

Its a two edge sword that cuts both ways. It amazes me that people say they will stop if the other stops's. This shows weakness, if you have to stop due to lack of crews, planes. logistics, then you have to stop. But to try and bluff, when later when your economics are to an advantage or you want to stop an opponent when his economics are to an advantage is not correct. The game is both historical and a game engine, we have to play both, concurrently and as the japanese can expose weaknesses in the allied defense due to forknowledge, the americans should be able to exploit these same issues. If one was to cry foul as to why thy are exceding reality, then why was northern Australia invaded?

Moses I consider what you have done in defence very admirable and not out of line. Forcasting into the future, I would say Wilkerson had you on the ropes and has backed off, based on you AAR. Thus continueing your current conditions you have won the war. It is my belief the Japanese player should not let up on the allied command but keep stomping on the neck. Once he has stopped he has lost. This coming from an allied fan boy.

Good luck and good stomping in 43

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 175
1 Apr - 4/8/2007 6:21:00 PM   
moses

1 Apr: Japans Invasion bonus has expired!!!!

PM: My Kittyhawks were slaughtered over PM. 52 zero's rose to the challange and killed 9 of mine for no loss. It is hopeless trying to contest the skies over PM as it is now ringed with enemy bases and he has over 400 front line aircraft in the area. He continues to concentrate on my port which only makes sence if he intends to land by sea. I can't wait to see this. I have a lot of good troops here so he'd better bring his whole army.

Burma/India: I've decided to go slow on strategic bombing until I have ideal conditions. If he wants to play tit-for-tat I need to make sure that when I attack in Burma it destoys enough to justify the retailiatory damage in China. I'll be getting a bunch of Eng units in India in around 10 turns and this will allow me to build all those little arfields around Burma up so that I truly have full superiority.

China: Japan is just defending here. I conduct minor operations with several objectives. I attack small japanese units which can be retreated costing him supply and giving my troops experience. I also want to fight some in order to bleed my army down to a more supportable size. Currently I have significant excess supply and have made a lot of progress building up fort and airfield size.

PI: Any day now he will advance his army into Clark Field once more. I think the odds will be against my driving him off and this will be the beginning of the end. But its nice that 4 Japanese divisions are still tied to this battle in April.

Other: The CV Saratoga begins its journey from Sydney to SF today. It is at 66 sys damage and can move 4 hexes per day.

Its also nice that my troops retreated from Kendari have advanced back into that city. He only had a single SNLF holding that city and is unable to drive me out. So for a while at least thats 600 supply points per day that he won't be getting.

(in reply to stldiver)
Post #: 176
RE: 1 Apr - 4/8/2007 8:27:12 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

PI: Any day now he will advance his army into Clark Field once more. I think the odds will be against my driving him off and this will be the beginning of the end. But its nice that 4 Japanese divisions are still tied to this battle in April.

I would think this unresolved battle has prevented him from expansion in other areas and until it is captured and those units refitted, further attacks (like PM) may have to wait. Good for you!

quote:

Other: The CV Saratoga begins its journey from Sydney to SF today. It is at 66 sys damage and can move 4 hexes per day.

What are you sending along as escorts??
4DD's should be enough.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 177
RE: 1 Apr - 4/8/2007 10:53:59 PM   
moses

Carriers: I have 6 DD's along with the CV Sartoga. I hope thats enough. I'll be pissed if a sub finds me. The Lexington is still at 77 system damage and needs to sit in Sydney for a while longer but I hope with it being the only carrier it will repair faster and I can get it underway in a couple weeks. By the time my CV's get to the west coast the bulk of the repairs to my BB's should be done. I'll move the remaining BB's to other ports so that repairs to my carriers can proceed quickly.

PI: There is no doubt that having PI still fighting restricts Japans ability to keep his momentum going. four divisions are tied there for sure and I'll find out soon if he has moved a fifth there. Plus he also has to keep troops in Austrailia.

Time is running out for Japan and all of the remaining targets are heavily defended. There will be no more easy landings.

I really wonder if he may just call a halt and send his carriers back for refit. He has reached the historical limit of advance with North Austrailia thrown in. Perhaps he will just dig in.

< Message edited by moses -- 4/8/2007 10:56:59 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 178
5 April - 4/10/2007 1:18:18 AM   
moses

5 April:

More of the same. He bombs me in China (his training ground) and occasionally at PM where my engineers repair all the damage by morning. I bomb him in India. And thats about it.

Not much to write about so I'll submit a few tidbits to maintain interest through this lull.

Effect of fighter shell hits: His zero's straffed my PT's at PM and inflicted 16 shell hits on one PT boat. It caused 25 sys damage points to the PT. The interesting part is that I sent the PT to Townsville for repair. After one day it was at 100 %!!

Map edge: Keep your TF's off the edge of the map. I sent a small transport group from Perth to India. It got too close to the edge and got stuck in the zero row. I can't access it at all. It's a small TF so no matter. But you'd be ticked if you're CV's fell into that hole.

Anyway I sent a NZ BDE from NZ to Suva today to fill the last hole in my defence. I'm preparing operations around Tarawa/Baker Island in the event that Japan commits its carriers somewhere. Other then that I dig in.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 179
10 April - 4/13/2007 5:01:01 PM   
moses

10 April:

He bombs me. I bomb him.

I begin to assume that his carriers have gone home for refit. I've gotten one report of a single CV in Tokyo but thats not worth much. Otherwize no CV has been sighted for at least 30 days.

I still draw supply from Clark Field in the PI. Port Moresby still has 35,000 sp and is in good shape.

I continue to train and dig in everywhere.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mar 7-8 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI