Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Working on Patch IV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Working on Patch IV Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/26/2007 11:40:22 PM   
Hard Sarge

new patch, new battles and troops, old post

here is the "New" army of Lee

the Union took Wheeling, just fought off two HARD fought battles out west, one that may give raise to a new Legend in the CW

(General HARD_Sarge, comes with Dreaded, Heroes, Shooters, Diggers, Fast and Magic, Heavy on the Magic)

the Army of Lee

Yuck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 61
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/26/2007 11:50:22 PM   
Drex

You got a top heavy staff there.Plenty of teachers.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 62
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 3:01:12 AM   
Jeff Norton

3 and 4 star Generals in charge of DIV's????

No wonder the South won't rise again, they were top heavy...

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 63
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 4:01:22 AM   
Hard Sarge

Well, most of those are the ones that are starting that way (some work still being done on that)

as the others come in, they will be moved around

(in reply to Jeff Norton)
Post #: 64
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 5:47:12 AM   
Mike13z50

Hard Sarge,

Does an additonal two star+ do any good at the division level? I seem to remember reading that only the senior general who could command a formation played a role.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 65
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 3:15:48 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, extra Generals do not help the Div, but they will help the Bde

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 66
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 3:17:05 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, this is why it is fun

new patch, new start, new ARMY OF LEE

*has not been reset yet, as it is moving, I will move all the Cav over to one Div and what not as the Winter sets in*

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 67
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 6:11:30 PM   
Hard Sarge

new rules, new patch, new tactics, let see if they work

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 68
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 6:38:05 PM   
Andy Mac

I am still slightly concerned that I will be short of 2 stars for Divs the relationship seems to be off (albeit I dont know what the new academy ratio is)

In stock games I always have Divs commanded by 1 star commanders because I never have enough 2 stars.

I have seen myself build 20+ Academys just so I can get enough 2 stars for my Union Divs

Can you let us know what the 'new' academy ratios are I would really like to save some money.

To me the ratio needs to be
1 x 5 Star to 3 x 4 star 
1 x 4 Star to 3 x 3 Star
1 x 3 Star to 3 x 2 Star

So if 10 Academys are required for a 5 star you should have a minimum of
3 Army or Wing Commanders
9 Corps Commanders
27 Divisional Commanders

Can you let me know what the patch will provide in generals at 10 Academies ?

As the union I typically have a LOT of Divs and Corps on the go

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 69
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 6:54:17 PM   
Gil R.

Quoting from Eric's list of changes in the patch:

78) CHANGED V1.2.5: Academies now provide more ranks. Each Academy allows:
3 Two-Star Generals
2 Three-Star Generals
1 Four-Star General
Furthermore, it now only requires 7 Academies to obtain a Five-Star general.
The cost of Academies has been increased to 150 Money.

One of the things I still need to do for the patch -- perhaps tonight -- is to change the number of academies slightly for each scenario so that enough 3- and 4-star generals are available to fill the starting OOB's. Since academies provide a fixed number of slots for each rank there will always be one or two too many containers without generals or extra generals in containers, but we can get things pretty close, and then players can build more academies and containers as needed.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 70
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/27/2007 11:50:24 PM   
Mike13z50

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Quoting from Eric's list of changes in the patch:

78) CHANGED V1.2.5: Academies now provide more ranks. Each Academy allows:
3 Two-Star Generals
2 Three-Star Generals
1 Four-Star General
Furthermore, it now only requires 7 Academies to obtain a Five-Star general.
The cost of Academies has been increased to 150 Money.

One of the things I still need to do for the patch -- perhaps tonight -- is to change the number of academies slightly for each scenario so that enough 3- and 4-star generals are available to fill the starting OOB's. Since academies provide a fixed number of slots for each rank there will always be one or two too many containers without generals or extra generals in containers, but we can get things pretty close, and then players can build more academies and containers as needed.

Not to pick nits, but the as Andy Mac said, the ratio of MG to LTG is still out of wack, unless you are going to go with corps of 2 division and no independent divisions, or not assign division commanders to some divisions in higher level units.

Since the "rank" of the general only represents the level of unit he is commanding, if you put a BG in command of a division he is a "MG" in game terms. I thought about suggesting that instead of gaining command slots by buying academies you get one for building containers, if you increased the cost of the container it would even out to the cost of the academies. Of course that wouldn't take care of the academies making new containers busy, and would set the patch way back, so nevermind.

Gil,

Is it easy to MOD the general count per academy?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 71
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/28/2007 1:33:15 AM   
Gil R.

In the patch Academies can be modded. We might up the number of 2-stars. The problem (or a problem) is that in different scenarios we have different OOB's and thus different requirements for the numbers of generals of 2+ stars. One of the things I still need to do for the patch (and this is just thirty minutes of work) is to figure out the ideal number of academies for the different scenarios.

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 72
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/28/2007 2:32:16 AM   
Walloc

Hi Gil,

Is there a change in how many academies you need to get better container ratings?
As pre patch u get 1 level better staff ratings per 5 academies. Is that lowered now that they costs more or does it stay the same? ratio of 3 or 4 to get better staffs?
I heard that initial US logistic ratings was upped so that migth cancel some of a possible need tho.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 2/28/2007 2:47:40 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 73
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/28/2007 2:54:50 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Hi Gil,

Is there a change in how many academies you need to get better container ratings?
As pre patch u get 1 level better staff ratings per 5 academies. Is that lowered now that they costs more or does it stay the same? ratio of 3 or 4 to get better staffs?
I heard that initial US logistic ratings was upped so that migth cancel some of a possible need tho.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

No, that part hasn't been changed.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 74
RE: Working on Patch IV - 2/28/2007 4:28:27 AM   
Hard Sarge

Guys, one thing to remember, I not showing all of my Generals, only what I sent off to the AOL, I got other Generals and more 2 Stars running around

I am trying to be sure I got at least 1 2 Star in charge of all of my Divs out west, so the Higher ranked guys are going to the AOL

which I got a 4 Star in a Div out West (Johnson) but once I get to build some stuff, he will take over the Western Corps when I get it and another General will take over his Div

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 75
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/3/2007 5:07:48 PM   
Hard Sarge

Well, bite my Butt

dangnab AI

Sweet, Roflmao, it done suckered me (one of these days, I need to keep my mouth shut)

the AI does seem to be thinking and working things out now, Had the Army of Kentucky trapped, it walked it's way out of the trap and now has me chaseing

just as my Div gets close to his invading troops, it breaks off and runs, and has 2 Divs sitting and waiting to make a landing, when and where it wants

it broke off a seige, when I got some troops close enough to relieve it and charged into Missor and smacked my Div out West

I can still out fight him, but he is making me fight him where he wants, not where I want, so, that is good

if I mass, he runs, if I split up, he masses

outstanding (wish I had a navy)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 76
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/3/2007 5:08:48 PM   
Hard Sarge

Which so saying, if I catch the Div and the Army I am chaseing, they will be in trouble, but if they keep moving, it will be interesting

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 77
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/3/2007 6:59:26 PM   
Hard Sarge

Well the AI had a decent idea, but it backfired on it, but I was a step ahead of it, if I had waiting a turn, it would of took Knockville before I could of done anything

now the trick will be to save Tenn-Miss-River

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 78
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/4/2007 1:14:39 AM   
Mike13z50

Hard Sarge,

Does the new (Union)AI come out of Washington into Fredricksburg more often? It looks like he has an Army facing your Corps. In the current version it is very easy to drain the east to fill the west and the computer just lets you get away with it.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 79
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/4/2007 6:19:51 AM   
Hard Sarge

well, the Union is trying

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 80
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/4/2007 1:15:25 PM   
Ironclad

Thanks HS. So the Union initiated those conflicts in Fredericksburg? That makes for a big improvement.

Previously you described how AI charges against the front three hexsides of enemy units have been stopped in favour of fire exchanges. Whilst that does pose more of a realistic challenge it does seem to have gone from one extreme to another. I would prefer to see a small percentage possibility of AI frontal charges against ordered enemy units to maintain an element of uncertainty for the human opponent. I am assuming that the AI will charge disordered enemy whenever there is an opportunity.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 81
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/4/2007 1:51:43 PM   
Hard Sarge

the AI will still charge, but it needs to be on the back flank or a disordered unit

and if you break your line during battle, it is a good bet, you will get a charge against it

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 82
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/9/2007 7:57:41 PM   
Hard Sarge

On the road again, its nice to be on the road again

okay new game, new container, new troops, this one sounds good and ....

well, Gil needs to step in here now

the Steward Corps (I normally pull out the ANV and 2 Corps and send them north, but the AI is getting to frisky in Fredericksburg, the last few times, so this should make the battles for Ohio area closer and still let me defend in a little better strength. some of those Fredericksburg battles were too close)

starting Generals ranks based on container needs now (not sure if that means if you build, you gain a General slot, or if only based on at start numbers, will have to work and see)

so, got to start off with some choices, the CSA only has one 4 Star slot, I made J.E.B. a 3 star, but was only planning on him commanding a Div, so I should of only went with 2, I am in the air yet, on Robert, make a 4 and ship him to Fredericksburg, or make on of the flunkys in the area a 4 and leave Robet on his ow (I like Robert in command of a Off Force)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 83
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/9/2007 8:00:05 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL, for my style of play, you got to love the J.E.B. Div, that is some firepower there

with the other two Divs, I should be able to form a Line and still let J.E.B. run wild

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 84
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/9/2007 8:16:14 PM   
Greyhunterlp

"Right lads, I've got the brilliant tactic. its called CHARGE!"

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 85
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/9/2007 8:21:46 PM   
ericbabe

We're experimenting with de-coupling Academies and ranks of generals, except for 5*, which now requires 6 Acadmies.  The new way of getting ranks is simply to have 1 rank available for each corresponding military group, with perhaps a few extra 2/3 stars.  Academies will now have the ability to train military groups (and perhaps generals/units, but not sure about that yet) at a fixed rate up to perhaps a "Good" rating but not better.  We'll see what you all think of this once the patch goes into open beta.

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 86
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/9/2007 8:40:58 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grey Hunter

"Right lads, I've got the brilliant tactic. its called CHARGE!"

LOL, no, not really, but I do believe in fire and movement, and movement and fire and get there firstist with the mostist is good too

and in the long run, Cav is good at all three, even better once Dragoon Tactics are learned

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 87
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/9/2007 8:42:22 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL, giving away my secerts before I can give them away :)

overall sounds like a good plan (gonna be odd having Robert as a 2 star though)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 88
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/9/2007 8:44:26 PM   
christof139

quote:

LOL, no, not really, but I do believe in fire and movement, and movement and fire and get there firstist with the mostist is good too

and in the long run, Cav is good at all three, even better once Dragoon Tactics are learned

War wagons, ask John Wayne or whoever it was, and Railroads, Armored Trains with cushioned seats.

Chris

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 89
RE: Working on Patch IV - 3/10/2007 6:46:24 AM   
Dasara II

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

We're experimenting with de-coupling Academies and ranks of generals, except for 5*, which now requires 6 Acadmies. The new way of getting ranks is simply to have 1 rank available for each corresponding military group, with perhaps a few extra 2/3 stars. Academies will now have the ability to train military groups (and perhaps generals/units, but not sure about that yet) at a fixed rate up to perhaps a "Good" rating but not better. We'll see what you all think of this once the patch goes into open beta.

That is fantastic news, there should always be the correct amount of generals for all military groups.

You could shake things up a bit and have a governor put a general forward every time there is a rank needed! Naturally gov attitude goes up 10 if you accept or goes down 5 if you don't

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Working on Patch IV Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI