Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

main problems w/ the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> main problems w/ the game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
main problems w/ the game - 2/19/2007 10:48:27 PM   
Deltoidius

The game is pretty much a re-release IMO. Besides touching up the squad makeups and some other small things, the game itself is virtually identical to what was released 9 or however many years ago.

Same problems I still have:
1. The grand campaign is completely linear. I started a German grand campaign with the difficulty on "Hero" and set off on my conquest of the Bolsheviks. I tear through the blitzkrieg operations and capture Moscow after a challenging but not difficult fight for the city (challenging mainly because the KV1's are virtually invincible (if played properly) against all German guns and armor (except the 88mm which is immobile and easily destroyed/suppressed with mortar)). So my next operation is to stop the Soviet counterattack. I find myself defending the last assault map from two operations ago. So I stop the Soviet offensive in its tracks destroying five tanks with an 88 and a StugIII and then launch a counterattack and secure all the objectives, thus ending the operation on the first day.

My successes seem to matter not, the Wehrmacht is reeling in retreat and is focusing a new offensive in the south aimed at the Caucasses and Stalingrad. So I am attached to the Sixth Army now and slug my way through the difficult urban maps with minimal any artillery support. My character is injured in battle while capturing a warehouse and earns two Knight's Crosses (you should receive oak leaves for the first instead of a second medal) and for some reason doesn't get a badge for his injury.

So Stalingrad is captured, but I'll assume it's still encircled by the 1.5 million Soviets that the video clip showed counterattacking. So this should mean I am starved to death or a POW as the Sixth Army was destroyed in this manner.

It matters not though, next operation pretends like nothing happened. So my main beef with the game is that I have no impact on it whatsoever. Whether I get routed or capture all my objectives the game still ends the same everytime.

2. Pathfinding is not fixed with infantry. I have had guys get trapped between a wall and the squad (especially in Stalingrad warehouses) and they just run back and forth and don't figure out to use the door without me redeploying the squad back there and waiting for him to regroup.

3. KV1's are very powerful. I don't know how accurate this is historically (I was under the impression the German army was the best equipped in the world throughout the war). My best armor (Mark IVD and StugIII) was completely useless at all ranges against KV1's against front, glancing side, and rear armor. The only time I could get a target that wasn't black was with a direct shot at side hull.

4. Mortars take a ridiculously long time to deploy smoke. It takes like 20 seconds in between shots. Also, I don't understand why my mortar fires in intervals of seven rounds then "reloads". Mortar fire should be continuous.

5. I still can't load the shells I want in my guns. If I was attacking infantry with a tank and want to sneak up on another tank for a side shot. I completely blow my sneak advantage because the first shot I fire is a HE round that won't damage the tank.

6. I want to turn off the clicking and bumping sound effects that occur when I issue orders.

7. Sometimes when I'm defending and a unit is not within my commander's sphere of influence, it randomly decides to start running for an objective without any instruction and gives no notification it is doing so. If anything it should start running for the rear, not Russian positions.

8. I haven't had one soldier be heroic, berserk, fanatic or anything so far. Just healthy, moving, pinned, surpressed, hiding, cowering.
Post #: 1
RE: main problems w/ the game - 2/19/2007 11:38:19 PM   
Uncle_Joe

1) The game's scale is not correct for the events it is attempting to portray. Just consider that your battlegroup is simply living through the historical events rather than actually having the power to change them.

3) KV1 WAS powerful. Not many weapons that the Germans had COULD hurt the KVs (especially the KV2).

7) There is a toggle to switch off units moving on their own. You can turn if off if you dont like it.

(in reply to Deltoidius)
Post #: 2
RE: main problems w/ the game - 2/20/2007 1:19:30 PM   
Muzrub

Which campaign are you playing? Dont worry I'm not a fanboy.

The original CC3 campaign is there, but so is the other.
The COI one anyway.

And that one is different, 43, onwards.
Hence you must be playing the earlier CC3 campaign.
Personally on hero I'm not finding to many differences in solo play- except for the maps.

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 3
RE: main problems w/ the game - 2/22/2007 3:37:06 AM   
Future

@ Deltoidius. The game is indeed a re-release. We have never stated that this is an all new game. We have done tweaks to the orginal CC3 so it can run on XP without having to make changes by the user to the EXE. Other tweaks to AI, new sounds, new interface. But like I have stated this was never a new game.

< Message edited by Future -- 2/22/2007 3:51:23 AM >

The wargamer also known as Ross Moorhouse.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 4
RE: main problems w/ the game - 2/22/2007 4:27:33 AM   
Doggie

quote:

My successes seem to matter not, the Wehrmacht is reeling in retreat and is focusing a new offensive in the south aimed at the Caucasses and Stalingrad

Maybe you haven't thought this thing out.  Even though some Wehrmacht units achieved individual tactical success, the historical reality is the German army was on the retreat after Stalingrad.  What would you think if there were individual battles set deep in the heart of Russia during February of 1945?

Perhaps the campaign scenarios are meant to reflect historical reality?

(in reply to Future)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> main problems w/ the game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI