Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: update?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: update? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 7:31:40 AM   
Veers

That's more of a tactical detail. This is an operational game. And I think they should fix the current features before adding new ones.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 31
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 7:35:33 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

Fricking server reset caused me to lose the previous post...

Bummer.

quote:

Anyhow, I see what you're talking about, Wyatt. I agree that the DBR should be displayed as a hexagonal shape, as opposed to the circle. As the range becomes greater, so will the difference between the circle and the polygonal side midpoints, even if the circle is perfectly centered, and perfectly drawn - neither of which we current have being the case.

Agreed.

quote:

I prefer function over form, and in this case, though the circles look nicer, they are misleading in some respects. Personally, I don't really use them myself, since I always leave the hex grid on while playing, and look at the individual units so that I know the composition of them. It's rather useless to worry about the maximum range of a unit given that it might be set for that unit by a single (or even non-existent) piece of equipment. Especially when the majority of the unit's actual bombardment strength is at some other range.

I do as well, but once you play enough turns of a game you get to know which units are operating with eq that is at that max range (an air unit with only one type in it, for example). As well, when you know that a unit has range 13, but the eq of record inside only has 12 you can, or could, easily identify where the outer range is by using a corrected crop hexagon and subracting one from that displaed range.

quote:

What would be more useful, IMO, than the circles is a diplay of the strength of a ranged unit at its incremental ranges. Only the differentiating radii would need to be displayed, and that is usually only two or three increments in the vast majority of cases.

And this would really be the icing on the cake, making the system something to really be pround of.

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 32
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 8:01:40 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

That's more of a tactical detail. This is an operational game. And I think they should fix the current features before adding new ones.

..depends how you consider ancient battles stretching over several kilometers..

..and why not add new features whilst fixing current ones ?..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beān'tus all..?,

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 33
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 8:09:46 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

Ancient battles were hardly fought with any sense of 'operational' in mind.

quote:

..and why not add new features whilst fixing current ones ?..

I suppose.

Post #: 34
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 8:21:14 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

. . . any chance that the engine can be given the ability to recognise different heights of terrain, and not shoot over them ?

This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago . . . This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago . . . This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago . . .

. . . whoa, think I'm starting to repeat myself. This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 35
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 8:23:59 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

. . . any chance that the engine can be given the ability to recognise different heights of terrain, and not shoot over them ?

This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago . . . This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago . . . This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago . . .

. . . whoa, think I'm starting to repeat myself. This was brought to the the attention of the TOAW owners a long time ago.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 36
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 8:24:05 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

What was?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 37
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 8:38:43 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

Regards, RhinoBones

..yahh, but now they gotta small circle to do it in, kinda makes it easier..

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 38
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 8:43:20 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..so ?..a battle stretching acros a full toaw map strikes me as pretty "operational"*, a full map if a suitable range is chosen for slings, such as twice an inf move..

..* whatever that is anyway, early blurb with Toaw said that it took over where the bullets stopped flying round your ears, seems a fair definition to me..

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 39
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 10:04:14 AM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

..so ?..a battle stretching acros a full toaw map strikes me as pretty "operational"*, a full map if a suitable range is chosen for slings, such as twice an inf move..

..* whatever that is anyway, early blurb with Toaw said that it took over where the bullets stopped flying round your ears, seems a fair definition to me..

And I'm pretty sure that if you have to start accounting for slings having range, that you've just dived into the area where the bullets fly around your ears, and left the operational realm.

Post #: 40
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 10:23:21 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And I'm pretty sure that if you have to start accounting for slings having range, that you've just dived into the area where the bullets fly around your ears, and left the operational realm.

..unless the "bullets" are slingshot, to the best of my knowledge gunpowder-propelled lead was in short supply up to 1300 and such..

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 41
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 2:41:14 PM   
a white rabbit

..anyway, 30 minutes to download the patch, installed a treat, i'll bioed next weekend when i've the time to play around then i reckon it's prod-da-buttons time again...

..i'll even settle for a house rule on elephants till we get the real thing...

Post #: 42
RE: update? - 3/11/2007 7:29:24 PM   
Veers

You'll  be able to add all the elephants you want with BioEd. Make that ancient scenario and prove us all wrong.

Editted because I can't spel elephants.

< Message edited by Veers -- 3/11/2007 7:45:49 PM >

Post #: 43
RE: update? - 3/12/2007 6:44:46 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

You'll  be able to add all the elephants you want with BioEd. Make that ancient scenario and prove us all wrong.

Editted because I can't spel elephants.

..gonna do my best, but the real elephants, oh! those beautiful pachiderms, come when we get an EvilEd-programmed Elmer-intervention in game play..

..till then it's a EvilEd % option and a house-rule, and you know how i abhore house-rules..

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: update? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI