Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

question . . .

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> question . . . Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
question . . . - 3/3/2007 5:16:30 AM   
Daggerlab

Ok, this may be a truly stupid question, but . . . is there a way to save a game during a battle? I have searched all the manuals, and pushed every button I can think of during a battle, but the only option I can find besides truce/surrender is the option to quit without saving. Am I just badly overlooking something here?
Post #: 1
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 5:23:38 AM   
squadleader_id

Nope, from CC1 thru CC5 there was never an option to save a battle in progress...and IMHO there's no need.  Why would you want to do that?  It's not realistic to save your progress  in the heat of battle

(in reply to Daggerlab)
Post #: 2
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 5:29:39 AM   
Hertston

It would be a nice feature to add to CC6. "Heat of battle" or not, real-life can get in the way sometimes!

(in reply to squadleader_id)
Post #: 3
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 5:31:46 AM   
Andrew Williams

You can press F3 to pause.

Then Alt-TAB to minimize...

you can then return to the heat of battle at your leisure.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 6:14:30 AM   
Daggerlab

quote:

ORIGINAL: squadleader_id

Nope, from CC1 thru CC5 there was never an option to save a battle in progress...and IMHO there's no need.  Why would you want to do that?  It's not realistic to save your progress  in the heat of battle

If you want to see heat of battle, try explaining to your wife that you can't help her with the two screaming kids until the battle is done, due to the lack of a save game option!
Thanks for the quick replies, all! That option would be a helpful feature, in my opinion, for those times when real life intrudes.

Post #: 5
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 6:25:07 AM   
old man of the sea

never let real life intrude on your game son.....

E

"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.

(in reply to Daggerlab)
Post #: 6
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 5:39:29 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: squadleader_id

Nope, from CC1 thru CC5 there was never an option to save a battle in progress...and IMHO there's no need. Why would you want to do that? It's not realistic to save your progress in the heat of battle

There were two great beefs about CC from the "granny-gamers:"

1) There was no way to SAVE before crucial events.

2) They insisted that a PAUSE game function be implemented, one that would allow them to plot moves and select targets during the respite.

If you scratched the surface of these guys' psyche, what you'd find is a deep-seated desire to "failure-proof" the game, to make it such that they COULDN'T lose. When Close Combat failed to fill their pre-requisite for a "proper" wargame, they assigned to it the monikor, RTS, or clickfest. It's also worth noting that many of the folks who complain the loudest about CC don't play human opponents. "Why For God's sake," they'd ask themselves, "I might lose?"

Well, here's the deal on this issue...

The fights in Close Combat depict thirty minutes or so of frequently hair-raising action. The inclusion of loss pre-emptive features like save-game functions and pauses totally distort this time element and undermines the effectiveness of the design. In other words, superimposing, deliberative and/or "second-chance" functions into a small-unit, tactical environment characterized by NO SUCH CHEATS wrecks what is perhaps the most important advantage of computer wargames over those played with cardboard counters and maps, simultaneous, real-time simulation and gaming.

Close Combat forever, unadulterated, PLEASE!!!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 3/3/2007 6:04:46 PM >

Government is the opiate of the masses.

Post #: 7
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 6:27:44 PM   
Beeblebrox

quote:

The fights in Close Combat depict thirty minutes or so of frequently hair-raising action. The inclusion of loss pre-emptive features like save-game functions and pauses totally distort this time element and undermines the effectiveness of the design. In other words, superimposing, deliberative and/or "second-chance" functions into a small-unit, tactical environment characterized by NO SUCH CHEATS wrecks what is perhaps the most important advantage of computer wargames over those played with cardboard counters and maps, simultaneous, real-time simulation and gaming.

Gets my vote! 

However, a replay function will be a very welcome addition.  It is in the Military versions already, and will come with subsequent releases (but not re-releases).

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 8
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 6:42:46 PM   
squadleader_id

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beeblebrox

Gets my vote!

However, a replay function will be a very welcome addition. It is in the Military versions already, and will come with subsequent releases (but not re-releases).

Yessss!! Please add a replay function. For the current CC games, I have to settle with studying screenshots taken during the game as a 'home-made replay' feature. You can use third party screen capture programs lika Camtasia...but the movie sizes are too huge...a simple replay function like modern RTS games is a must for future CC releases.
Once this feature is available...you can swap battle replay films...no need to write your CC AAR anymore :).

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 9
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 6:58:45 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

Well, here's the deal on this issue...

A strong candidate for the "pretentious bullsh*t of the week" award!

I'd like a save game function so I can stop playing a map in the middle when life interrupts and come back to it later. Sometimes such interruptions involve time intervals where I'd rather turn my PC off, or occasionally when somebody needs it for something else. Simple. No "deep seated desire" for anything. There is no "cheat" and it doesn't undermine anything; if you don't want to save you don't have to.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 3/3/2007 7:14:58 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 9:09:31 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

A strong candidate for the "pretentious bullsh*t of the week" award!

DEAR GRANDMA:

Loss pre-emptive devices in computer games depicting small-unit combat are for hysterical pussies who can't roll a die without first smoking a cigarette, fondling their cat and then jacking-off for half an hour. Their nerves simply can't take the strain. It's odd indeed that so challenged an individual would be interested in combat simulation when knitting a cuddly pink afghan would far better suit his/her emotional limitations.

PoE

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 11
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 9:59:35 PM   
Pford

A vote for a traditional save game function here. In single-player who cares? The saved games should be sortable by date in next version, tho.

Post #: 12
RE: question . . . - 3/3/2007 10:12:32 PM   
Andrew Williams

I like them being sorted alphabetically.

For a real Infantry game I prface it with a

RI

Grossdeutschland

GD

Western Front

WF

eg

WF Grand Campaign

makes them easy to find and play with the correct mod.

(in reply to Pford)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> question . . . Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI