Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Win awarded to wrong pitcher?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Win awarded to wrong pitcher? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win awarded to wrong pitcher? - 3/4/2007 1:32:30 AM   
akcranker

I don't know baseball rules well enough to know if the AI awarded the Win wrong but I thought I would post this and see...

My starting pitcher Wallace only pitched 3 innings due to low endurance but by the time I took him out of the game my team had a 9-0 lead.

I then brought in a relief pitcher that pitched 2.1 innings and he gave up 6 runs but we were still up by 3.

I then brought in another reliever who pitched 2.2 innings. His name was Bertram Williams.

Then I brought in my dominant closer Warren to close the 9th inning.

Williams the 2nd reliever ended up getting awarded the win? Shouldn't my starting pitcher gotten the win?
Post #: 1
RE: Win awarded to wrong pitcher? - 3/4/2007 1:37:34 AM   
jono

A starting pitcher must go at least 5 innings to get the win.  I believe if he does not go 5 the win goes to the most effective reliever.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 2
RE: Win awarded to wrong pitcher? - 3/4/2007 2:02:07 AM   
KG Erwin

The official rules state:

"WINNING AND LOSING PITCHER
(a) Credit the starting pitcher with a game won only if he has pitched at least five complete innings and his team not only is in the lead when he is replaced but remains in the lead the remainder of the game.
(b)The “must pitch five complete innings” rule in respect to the starting pitcher shall be in effect for all games of six or more innings. In a five-inning game, credit the starting pitcher with a game won if he has pitched at least four complete innings and his team not only is in the lead when he is replaced but remains in the lead the remainder of the game.
(c)When the starting pitcher cannot be credited with the victory because of the provisions of 10.19(a) or (b) and more than one relief pitcher is used, the victory shall be awarded on the following basis:
(1) When, during the tenure of the starting pitcher, the winning team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game, credit the victory to the relief pitcher judged by the scorer to have been the most effective;
(2) Whenever the score is tied the game becomes a new contest insofar as the winning and losing pitcher is concerned;
(3) Once the opposing team assumes the lead all pitchers who have pitched up to that point are excluded from being credited with the victory except that if the pitcher against whose pitching the opposing team gained the lead continues to pitch until his team regains the lead, which it holds to the finish of the game, that pitcher shall be the winning pitcher;
(4) The winning relief pitcher shall be the one who is the pitcher of record when his team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game. EXCEPTION: Do not credit a victory to a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when a succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain the lead. In such cases, credit the succeeding relief pitcher with the victory.
(d) When a pitcher is removed for a substitute batter or substitute runner, all runs scored by his team during the inning in which he is removed shall be credited to his benefit in determining the pitcher of record when his team assumes the lead.
(e) Regardless of how many innings the first pitcher has pitched, he shall be charged with the loss of the game if he is replaced when his team is behind in the score, or falls behind because of runs charged to him after he is replaced, and his team thereafter fails either to tie the score or gain the lead.
(f) No pitcher shall be credited with pitching a shutout unless he pitches the complete game, or unless he enters the game with none out before the opposing team has scored in the first inning, puts out the side without a run scoring and pitches all the rest of the game. When two or more pitchers combine to pitch a shutout a notation to that effect should be included in the league’s official pitching records.
(g) In some non-championship games (such as the Major League All- Star Game) it is provided in advance that each pitcher shall work a stated number of innings, usually two or three. In such games, it is customary to credit the victory to the pitcher of record, whether starter or reliever, when the winning team takes a lead which it maintains to the end of the game, unless such pitcher is knocked out after the winning team has a commanding lead, and the scorer believes a subsequent pitcher is entitled to credit for the victory."

See rule 10.19c1. Jono is correct. The official scorer is given a LOT of discretion in baseball, so the awarding of the win to Williams, while a "fuzzy" choice, is appropriate.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/4/2007 2:23:49 AM >

(in reply to jono)
Post #: 3
RE: Win awarded to wrong pitcher? - 3/4/2007 2:09:10 AM   
akcranker

k thanks for the info guys!!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Win awarded to wrong pitcher? - 3/4/2007 2:18:46 AM   
KG Erwin

It seems that for Pure Sim purposes, the reliever that pitched the most innings in a case like this would be awarded the win. That's fine with me.

(in reply to akcranker)
Post #: 5
RE: Win awarded to wrong pitcher? - 3/7/2007 2:42:02 AM   
bobsayah

Although Puresim got this one right, I do from time to time still see bugs in the win/loss algorithm. Will the opening up of the database give me the ability to go in and "fix" the winning/losing pitcher when Puresim makes a mistake?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Win awarded to wrong pitcher? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI