Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 10:42:16 AM   
Fredk

haha...did some reading on the subhunter forums - no way I'm going to buy this (allegedly) bug ridden piece of crap at this point if I'm complaining about too many problems with WitP. 

(in reply to Fredk)
Post #: 31
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 3:48:54 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

So Terminus... your problems are both self-imposed, and now fixed. What are your impressions with the finished product?

SoM

Even though it causes me emotional and physical pain to say this about an UbiSoft game, initial impressions are (gulp) favourable.

With tweaking and poking, I've gotten it to run at medium detail levels on my rig (P4 2.8 GHz, 1Gb RAM, GeForce6600GT), and although I haven't really pushed it yet (with lots of ships and aircraft having to be rendered simultaneously), it's running pretty well...

I'm about to leave on my second war patrol from Cavite Navy Yard as commander of USS Spearfish. The date is 12/21/41 and the Japs are crawling all over the Phillipines. My first patrol was relatively uneventful, although I managed to sink two enemy freighters for 12000+ tons. Took six torpedoes to do them; seems like two of my Mk 14's malfunctioned somehow... I wonder what the problem could be?

Anyway, I can tell you this: if SH4 had been another U-Boat game, I'd NEVER have bought it. I only spent my money because it's a Pacific theatre game. There are a few "oddities" in it (their idea of an Allied fighter is the F2A Buffalo, and their long-ranged 4-engined bomber is a Lancaster in US markings), and it's pretty clear that the people who programmed it don't have English as their first language (they're Romanians), but overall... it'll do nicely.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 32
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 8:30:49 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fredk

haha...did some reading on the subhunter forums - no way I'm going to buy this (allegedly) bug ridden piece of crap at this point if I'm complaining about too many problems with WitP. 

I think it probably is 'allegedly', although as always just because one person hasn't suffered problems (i.e, me) doesn't mean that others haven't. In any event there's a big difference between "has some bugs" and "bug ridden piece of crap". The verdict is still open on whether SH4 demands playing ahead of a modded SH3 though; I'm not at all sure it does... certainly if you are more/just as happy with U-Boats than the Pacific theatre.

quote:

and their long-ranged 4-engined bomber is a Lancaster in US markings..

Yeah.. I thought that was odd! The Lanc is the 'patrol' plane in the museum, too, which suggests the whole thing was still work in progress when released. Maybe the devs had an unfinished night-bombing sim on the shelf somewhere...

(in reply to Fredk)
Post #: 33
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 11:22:49 PM   
cdbeck

Herston,

I have SH3, and I like the U-Boat stuff. I'm not really sure if buying the Pacific Theater would really "improve" my play experience, if it is the same nuts and bolts under the hood.

You keep mentioning mods for SH3, which would you suggest? I a woefully ignorant of the modding communities. Any help?

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 34
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 11:28:48 PM   
Terminus

There are still CTD's, but at least it's not whining about lack of virtual memory...

Of course, it came while I was on the way home from a successful war patrol...

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 35
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 11:36:02 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Herston,

I have SH3, and I like the U-Boat stuff. I'm not really sure if buying the Pacific Theater would really "improve" my play experience, if it is the same nuts and bolts under the hood.

You keep mentioning mods for SH3, which would you suggest? I a woefully ignorant of the modding communities. Any help?

SoM

Have you checked Subsim.com?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 36
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 11:57:39 PM   
Terminus

Screenie from my last war patrol. Doesn't look too bad...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 37
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/24/2007 11:59:42 PM   
Fredk

god Terminus...don't make me go buy this before the first 7 or 8 patches come out! 

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 38
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/25/2007 12:01:03 AM   
Terminus

Oh, make no mistake... I didn't post that screenie to make Ubicrapsoft feel good... Just wanted to show that the game actually looks pretty decent even on the middling detail levels.

Definitely needs more patching, though...

(in reply to Fredk)
Post #: 39
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/25/2007 12:20:27 AM   
histgamer

Looks real nice but i doubt it would run.

I have 126mb video card but its a laptop so its a crappy generic video card 1.6GHZ but its a dual core processor so thats basically a 3.1ghz and 1.5gb of ram but SH-3 was a bit laggy for me when i was on the bridge or attacking large convoys so somthing tells me while that was laggy but worked this wouldnt be very playable.

And i dont have money for a new computer the laptop is less than a year old but laptops are not ment for games.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 40
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/25/2007 1:15:04 AM   
Fredk

flanybody - is SH4 multi threaded? I read somewhere that only a few of the minor game functions would take advantage of multi-threading so basically your 1.6 ghz dual-core is just going to run the game at the speed of a standard 1.6 ghz processor if I understand the technicalities of mult-threading correctly.

Also, is your video card a discrete card of one of the "hyper-cache" style ones that borrows from the system memory?

edit: I see you were referring to SH3 in your original post. I'm almost sure SH3 didn't take advantage of multi-threading at all.

< Message edited by Fredk -- 3/25/2007 1:22:11 AM >

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 41
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/25/2007 1:20:19 AM   
Hertston

quote:

SoM

As Dixie said, check out subsim. Start with Grey Wolves.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 42
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/25/2007 1:33:29 AM   
Speedysteve

Well the intro looked good.

I'm looking forward to trying this out but it will have to wait until tomorrow............

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 43
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 3/25/2007 3:01:57 AM   
Terminus

Here's another one, taken just before a hard-reset crash. Damn, it's wobbly...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 44
RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! - 4/22/2007 12:08:27 AM   
NefariousKoel

As a comparison.. here's a screenshot I took a couple days ago after the 1.2 patch. 

I'm running at 1280x1024 4xAA with all options on & max'd but for post-process filtering (since I don't like the 'old movie' overlay look even though it seems to increase my fps slightly). 

It's running at between 30-48 fps on my A64 3700, 2GB RAM, 7900GS

Anyway, here's a Japanese Sub-Chaser that was looking for me after I blow'd up his Destroyer buddy as they were cruisin' by me.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Silent Hunter IV has gone GOLD !! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI