Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Next Patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Next Patch Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Next Patch - 3/6/2007 1:23:17 AM   
SMK-at-work

Ralph bought up the subject of hte next patch with comments about hte huge 2D map, so don't blame me!! :)

One thing I'd really like to see is the overview map in hte bottom right corner jump to the position of the current unit selected...any chance??

BTW the bombardment radii are bloody brilliant - makes planning long range missions with aircraft so much easier - poor ol' Buzz got a taste of it in move one of the FitE we jsut started with the LW ranging out to beyond Smolensk to hit bridges and airfields!
Post #: 1
RE: Next Patch - 3/6/2007 2:52:18 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Ralph bought up the subject of hte next patch with comments about hte huge 2D map, so don't blame me!! :)

One thing I'd really like to see is the overview map in hte bottom right corner jump to the position of the current unit selected...any chance??

BTW the bombardment radii are bloody brilliant - makes planning long range missions with aircraft so much easier - poor ol' Buzz got a taste of it in move one of the FitE we jsut started with the LW ranging out to beyond Smolensk to hit bridges and airfields!

I was thinking that some people liked the current behavior. AIvAI actually does have the micromap center each move....

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 2
RE: Next Patch - 3/6/2007 4:02:03 AM   
dayrinni

How about an option to turn that on/off then?

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 3
RE: Next Patch - 3/6/2007 4:45:54 AM   
SMK-at-work

I guess it's only needed on big maps like FitE - if the whole map fits on one page of the mini-map then there's no problem, but in FitE I sometimes have a bit of trouble figuring out what part of the map I'm on in the main display!!

(in reply to dayrinni)
Post #: 4
RE: Next Patch - 3/6/2007 5:05:51 AM   
Zort

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

I guess it's only needed on big maps like FitE - if the whole map fits on one page of the mini-map then there's no problem, but in FitE I sometimes have a bit of trouble figuring out what part of the map I'm on in the main display!!

Here here, me too.

Post #: 5
RE: Next Patch - 3/6/2007 6:52:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

Maybe what we need is a floating window that has the minimap in it that we can drag around and almost off the edge of the screen to get it out of the way when we need to but drag it back to look something up, etc.

Air Traffic Control ( a game most of you have never played I bet ) has the main screen as the "tower view" and there's separate windows for the "arrivals", "departures", and "radar view" and you can drag them around to make the setup you desire and / or drag them almost off the screen entirely to get 'em out of the way.  So I'm pretty sure it can be done and would fervrently ( how spell ferverently ? )  desire something like that for TOAW. 

Just my $0.02.

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 6
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 2:28:57 AM   
m5000.2006

yes, playing large scenarios like fite IS annoying when it comes to using the mini map...

i like the way the minimap works in hps panzer campaigns series - it actually includes the whole battle area and you can move from place to place quickly with a single mouse click, and the map is not confined to one particular part of the screen, but you can drag it around (correct me if i'm wrong as i haven't played pz campaigns for a long time...)

i wish it was like this in toaw :(

< Message edited by m5000.2006 -- 3/8/2007 2:44:03 AM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 3:48:42 AM   
freeboy

I would like mobile artillery to be e able to fire defensively and all units that move throug ha hex to add a penely to following units per turn.. and for units that are player 1 to not be punished for using all the movement and if forced to retreat evaporating instead

(in reply to m5000.2006)
Post #: 8
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 5:38:02 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

I would like mobile artillery to be e able to fire defensively ...

This won't happen, as it is part of the decision matrix you must take into account for your overall troop deployments. In other words, one of the many "interesting decisions" you need to make. If you want artillery to fire defensively, leave it in tactical or local reserve modes. Mobile is for conservation of supply, or directed bombardments.

quote:

and all units that move throug ha hex to add a penely to following units per turn...

While this may "sound good" from a "realism" standpoint, it would drive the game toward even more micromanagement, as well as imposing a hit on performance. Also it would necessitate additional UI coding to adequately account for hex capacities in an easy to follow method. At the overall level of abstraction that exists in the game, it would be an unnecessary addition that detracts more than it would enhances.

quote:

... and for units that are player 1 to not be punished for using all the movement and if forced to retreat evaporating instead

This no longer happens in TOAW. It hasn't since TOAW I, or TOAW II. These days, it is an old wive's tale kept alive by the fact that some of the strategy guides still extant on the web are close to ten years old, and were written by people playing those earlier versions. In short, I would would take anything written before 2001, with a spoonful of salt, as much of it is seriously out of date, with the advent of Century of Warfare, and now, TOAW III.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 6:51:40 AM   
Zort

I'd like to see some improvements to the events screen. (these are probably on someone's list already)

1. To list the events like they are when they were put in. If there is a way to do this now once one of the other buttons is pushed I don't know. Except for using the dumping feature. Example I left event 500 open, once I selected either of the two sort buttons event 500 is filled in. But when I go to look for event 501 there is no 501.
2. Make it easier to find events, a larger window or better tree.
3. Make it so you don't have to scroll all the way down to find an open slot.

I know the guys who have done this lots have recommendations, I would just like it to be more user friendly to beginners like me so we can really screw things up easier!!

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 10
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 7:34:22 AM   
freeboy

I should open up a fantasy wish list

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 11
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 8:17:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort
I'd like to see some improvements to the events screen. (these are probably on someone's list already)

2. Make it easier to find events, a larger window or better tree.

Maybe a right click context menu with one of the choices "GO TO Event ____" where you fill in the event number and then the editor goes to that event immediately. RhinoBones suggested this once a long time ago.

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 12
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 7:55:36 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort
1. To list the events like they are when they were put in. If there is a way to do this now once one of the other buttons is pushed I don't know. Except for using the dumping feature. Example I left event 500 open, once I selected either of the two sort buttons event 500 is filled in. But when I go to look for event 501 there is no 501.

Never use the sort buttons. Ever. Event order matters.

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 13
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 9:02:05 PM   
JAMiAM

Newbie: Hey! What's this red button for?
Old Hand: Don't touch that!!!
Newbie: Well, what does it do?
Old Hand: Trust me on this. You never, never, NEVER, want to push that red button!
Newbie: Then why's it there?
Old Hand: There's ALWAYS a red button. Just don't push it. Okay?
Newbie: Sure...I guess.
Old Hand: Okay...whew! Watch the shop for me for a bit. I'm going to go out and get a cup of coffee.
Newbie: Sure.
Old Hand: <leaves shop>
Newbie: <stares at red button>
Newbie: <stares at red button, and wonders...>
Well...you all know what happens next...

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 14
RE: Next Patch - 3/8/2007 11:22:44 PM   
Jeff Norton

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 15
RE: Next Patch - 3/9/2007 2:08:21 AM   
freeboy

I just read some interesting notes made by Bob Cross in the Designers forums.. on Strategic issues , bombing factories production runs etc.. interesting.

(in reply to Jeff Norton)
Post #: 16
RE: Next Patch - 3/9/2007 3:03:06 AM   
SMK-at-work

link?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Next Patch - 3/9/2007 3:19:08 AM   
wolflars

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

He's not kidding. I learned this the hard way. Luckily I had saved. Just to emphasize: NEVER EVER EVER use the sort buttons!!!!!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 18
RE: Next Patch - 3/10/2007 5:29:47 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: wolflars

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

He's not kidding. I learned this the hard way. Luckily I had saved. Just to emphasize: NEVER EVER EVER use the sort buttons!!!!!

..still ???

..wot'e said..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to wolflars)
Post #: 19
RE: Next Patch - 3/11/2007 10:59:46 AM   
panzerpelle

see my sig..

Post #: 20
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 7:00:17 PM   
Jeff Norton

Gentle <bump>

Seriously, what's on the plate for the next update, if one might ask.....

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit

(in reply to panzerpelle)
Post #: 21
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 7:17:48 PM   
Veers

I think Ralph is still recovering from pushing out the last update. Let him breath, man.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

Post #: 22
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 7:28:09 PM   
Karri

NO! He can breathe once next update comes out! Makes him work much harder.

He will get food once TOAW 4 comes out.

< Message edited by Karri -- 4/26/2007 7:29:37 PM >

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 23
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 7:40:42 PM   
Veers

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 24
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 8:08:02 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

NO! He can breathe once next update comes out! Makes him work much harder.

He will get food once TOAW 4 comes out.

I kept trying to push the plates through the slot in the door, but he kept throwing them back out. Frankly, I got tired of cleaning up the mess in the hallway, and now tend to only feed him when he's hungry...and ready.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 25
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 9:35:42 PM   
Jeff Norton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

I think Ralph is still recovering from pushing out the last update. Let him breath, man.

Sorry, just being like my eight year old "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?" "Are we there yet?"....

After about 200 times, you begin to get annoyed....slightly....

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 26
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 10:26:35 PM   
MarcA

Could we please do something about the combat replay in PBEM, it is truly awful. I gave up watching it in my last PBEM as half the time I couldn't work out where it was showing me.

At least, if nothing else, make it full screen. It would also be useful be able slow down and speed up the replay.

Also we don't really need it to spend 10 minutes tell us we missed 600 consecutive hidden moves. Lets just scrap the hidden move results. It should be FOW anyway. "Commander, our recon planes have spotted the sixth army moving West along the Minsk highway. They also reliably inform me that n units moved a total of m hexes, where n x m = 316. They couldn't say much else about this except m times n was definitely 316"

< Message edited by mantill -- 4/26/2007 10:27:44 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Next Patch - 4/26/2007 10:50:57 PM   
Karri

I agree...in my FitE games I am yet to watch a replay I mean when you have 3000-6000 moves a turn it takes way too much time to watch and it is quite annoying with the slow speed...even more so when over half the moves are hidden.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 28
RE: Next Patch - 4/27/2007 4:15:57 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

Could we please do something about the combat replay in PBEM . . .

Concerning the playback, I once posted a suggestion about adding some selector buttons to the playback screen. The buttons would be something like:

A – All movement
B – Combat
C – Ground movement
D – Aircraft movement
E – Ship movement
F – Hidden movement

The default would be "All" or the players could pick and choose from B thru F

There could be other selections, but that is the basic idea.

Would also like to add a feature where the replay is directed to start at movement turn XXXX. This would enable players to quickly return to portions of the replay that are of particular interest.

Of course there has always been the desire that the replay display combat results.

Regards, RhinoBones

PS – As an after thought, is it possible that the PBL scenario file capture all replays for each time the scenario has been replayed? Something like the “opponent replayed x times” message, but in this case there would also be a replay file produced. Could be another anti cheat feature.

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 29
RE: Next Patch - 4/27/2007 6:34:08 AM   
SMK-at-work

Anothe thing I'd like to be able to do is go straight to units that are embarked

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Next Patch Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI