Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW ***

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/11/2007 2:59:37 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit
..so they'l not be reading any fairy tales either then ?
..and as for most mythology, Greek, Roman, Egyptian Norse, Finn they'd better wait till their at least 21 ...
..kids don't watch things they can't understand, they really don't

so I do my best to keep them in their own little world.

..yup, i'd noticed..

..maybe it's different on a farm, my first show and tell complete sheep's skull at 8, i was so proud to get one with all the bits including a full set of teeth, just a shame i couldn't get the rest of the skeleton out of the brambles..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 31
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/11/2007 9:15:52 PM   
Brigz

My reason for wanting to see this movie is explicitly for the cinematograpy and graphic imagery. After all this is a movie "based on" a graphic novel (comic book) which in turn is "based on" an historical subject. And from what I've read and seen it is "loosly" based on history (as many historical movies are). But I don't want to see it for any history lesson nor am I expecting any great dramatic performance or stunning screenplay. Based on all the hoopla and previews, what seems to be the primary focus of the movie is the visual presentation. I find the technology of movie making, specifically cinematography/sound, as interesting if not more so than the story/acting aspect. That's right -- I'm looking for eye-candy and I hope this movie has plenty of it.

There is an underlying reason for my interest in cinematic tech advances. My hopes are that eventually, someone can produce a decent cimematic adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 32
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/11/2007 11:24:05 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

My reason for wanting to see this movie is explicitly for the cinematograpy and graphic imagery. After all this is a movie "based on" a graphic novel (comic book) which in turn is "based on" an historical subject. And from what I've read and seen it is "loosly" based on history (as many historical movies are). But I don't want to see it for any history lesson nor am I expecting any great dramatic performance or stunning screenplay. Based on all the hoopla and previews, what seems to be the primary focus of the movie is the visual presentation. I find the technology of movie making, specifically cinematography/sound, as interesting if not more so than the story/acting aspect. That's right -- I'm looking for eye-candy and I hope this movie has plenty of it.

There is an underlying reason for my interest in cinematic tech advances. My hopes are that eventually, someone can produce a decent cimematic adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels.

You are going with the right attitude.

I have read plenty about Greek history and the Battle of Thermopolyae. So I can easily fill in info if a film has any gaps in it.

There is plenty of eye candy in this film. Without spoiling it too much I will point out these:

1) The film is simply stunning. The landscapes and colours seem like something out of an oil painting. It has a dreamy, other worldly, surreal feel to it.

2) The Oracle Scene, especially with the female, has a very etheral feel to it and was simply mesmerizing....

3) The battle scenes are outstanding. In particular, the battle scene with King Leonidas in slow motion is a sight to behold. Even several days after seeing the movie, this fight sequence still stays with me. It goes on for some time, and is sheer beauty. Unlike most directors who use shaky cams and quick cuts for battles, Snyder used this slo-mo techinque, and has set a new standard for how battle scenes can be filmed.

All the essential elements of history are here: we learn about the Spartan warrior ethos; we know the Spartans are going to the hot gate; Xerxes and his army are trying to defeat Greece; only 300 can go to the battle because the Spartans are celebrating a religious festival; etc....

The film deviates from historical reality by using, what I call "giving visual form to a character's inner traits". What do I mean by this? Simply this:

The Spartans are brave, noble men and women, so they are portrayed as muscular (men) and beautiful (women). The traitor is pictured as being misshapen and ugly; while Xerxes, who proclaims himself to be the King of the world and a god, is portrayed as being dark and sinister, as being 10 feet tall, and covered with chains of gold...

Just remember that this is a graphic novel about the battle that has been brought to the big screen....

EDIT: I should add that those poor souls who lack imagination; who develop eye twitch if even a single element in a film is not 100% historically accurate; and who thinks that the end of civilization as we know it has finally come because a film about historical events are not as they should be; should not venture forth into one's theatre to see this film....

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 3/12/2007 12:05:49 AM >

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 33
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/12/2007 12:07:40 AM   
Warfare1

The film "300" can best be summed up in SEVEN words:

300 is an Operatic Tale of Heroism

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 34
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/12/2007 9:03:00 AM   
Marauders

Hmmm, maybe if the 300 had breastplates, they would have won the battle.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 35
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/12/2007 8:38:07 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

You are going with the right attitude.

I have read plenty about Greek history and the Battle of Thermopolyae. So I can easily fill in info if a film has any gaps in it.

There is plenty of eye candy in this film. Without spoiling it too much I will point out these:

1) The film is simply stunning. The landscapes and colours seem like something out of an oil painting. It has a dreamy, other worldly, surreal feel to it.

2) The Oracle Scene, especially with the female, has a very etheral feel to it and was simply mesmerizing....

3) The battle scenes are outstanding. In particular, the battle scene with King Leonidas in slow motion is a sight to behold. Even several days after seeing the movie, this fight sequence still stays with me. It goes on for some time, and is sheer beauty. Unlike most directors who use shaky cams and quick cuts for battles, Snyder used this slo-mo techinque, and has set a new standard for how battle scenes can be filmed.

All the essential elements of history are here: we learn about the Spartan warrior ethos; we know the Spartans are going to the hot gate; Xerxes and his army are trying to defeat Greece; only 300 can go to the battle because the Spartans are celebrating a religious festival; etc....

The film deviates from historical reality by using, what I call "giving visual form to a character's inner traits". What do I mean by this? Simply this:

The Spartans are brave, noble men and women, so they are portrayed as muscular (men) and beautiful (women). The traitor is pictured as being misshapen and ugly; while Xerxes, who proclaims himself to be the King of the world and a god, is portrayed as being dark and sinister, as being 10 feet tall, and covered with chains of gold...

Just remember that this is a graphic novel about the battle that has been brought to the big screen....

EDIT: I should add that those poor souls who lack imagination; who develop eye twitch if even a single element in a film is not 100% historically accurate; and who thinks that the end of civilization as we know it has finally come because a film about historical events are not as they should be; should not venture forth into one's theatre to see this film....

..i liked Straw Dogs for much the same reasons...

..come on now, it was a hot'n'sweatey little battle, according to some too "tactical" to be done in t3 but whatevr, what i've seen so far goes a tadge too "muscular" for my tastes, i prefer Alexander as a portraial (sp) of ancient warfare..

..and, sorry, i thought we all knew the historical situation, it's hardly covered by the 30 yr rule..

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 3/12/2007 8:41:47 PM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 36
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/12/2007 10:28:46 PM   
Warfare1

300 crushed the competition over the weekend, grossing over $70 million, more than the next 10 films COMBINED!

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 3/12/2007 10:35:02 PM >

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 37
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/12/2007 10:37:57 PM   
Warfare1

"Waiting for the Persians to Attack"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/8/2007 5:32:27 PM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 38
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/12/2007 10:50:24 PM   
Warfare1

A wounded King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) roars his defiance at the Persian invaders as he stands surrounded by his fallen Spartans.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/8/2007 5:36:01 PM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 39
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/22/2007 6:49:07 PM   
a white rabbit

..try "the last horror movie"...

..so very english..

..not saying we make more effective movies than Hollywood, of course not, how could i possibly challenge the undoubted world leader in film-making*...

..mind you, they didn't write a white man's burden, Kipling, coincidentally written on the US invasion of the Philippines in 1898...

..which has absolutely nothing to do with modern geopolitics at all...

..* except with ' Leningrad Cowboys go '..don'tcha just luv dem Finns..

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 40
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/22/2007 10:29:33 PM   
Kuokkanen

Excuse me, I don't have time to read through all thread. But if this hasn't been mentioned, here it comes. I still remember ancient spartans from history school's history lessons. It was strict warrior society where weakness wasn't tolerated. If children, or even just born babies, had any visible signs of weaknesses, they were killed. I don't remember any details about castes, like did someone really bother go through all child peasants and kill some of them. Training of warriors indeed began in their childhood. It was very difficult from start and very little food was given to rookies. Stealing of food was often necessity. Those who were caught, were lashed, but they continued anyway with more caution.

I think that covers most of it. Does anyone else have more historical details?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 41
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/22/2007 10:54:27 PM   
Terminus

300 is not a historical film; it's a comic book adaptation. I'm looking forward to it, but the only historical accuracy I'm expecting is them getting the names of the main characters right. Oh, and the final battle must take place at Thermopylae... Other than that, I've already suspended my disbelief, and the film doesn't open in this country until next Friday...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 42
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/27/2007 3:25:13 PM   
JudgeDredd

Just seen it at the weekend.

Simply stunning. Absolutely the best movie I've watched in the past decade. It must've been the graphical use of the camera/CGIs because the dialogue was a little cheesy in places, but whatever it was....it's a must see/buy in my book.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 43
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/27/2007 8:00:00 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Just seen it at the weekend.

Simply stunning. Absolutely the best movie I've watched in the past decade. It must've been the graphical use of the camera/CGIs because the dialogue was a little cheesy in places, but whatever it was....it's a must see/buy in my book.

..Sin City, right ?..

..yup, great movie, absolutely no fluffy bunnies...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 44
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 3/28/2007 12:54:22 AM   
JudgeDredd

Yes...did have a Sin City feel about the filming technique...never quite sure if it's CGI or clever camera work...but I thought it was shot brilliantly...and I'm a big fan of CGI if done properly

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 45
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 6/8/2007 5:43:29 PM   
Warfare1

Just a heads up:

The movie 300 will be released on July 31, 2007.

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/27/19827.php

DVD boxed cover of the 2-disc version of 300:

DVD boxed cover of the History Channel 90 minute documentary about the Spartans called: Last Stand of the 300

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000OIOPPE/102-6923517-1992120?SubscriptionId=1N37XHF8ZGVTPZMFCMG2

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/8/2007 5:47:51 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 46
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 7/31/2007 11:42:10 PM   
Warfare1

I went to Best Buy for the 300 Collector's Edition (the one with the helmet). I arrived at 9:50am (it opens at 10:00) and there were only three guys standing in front.

By the time the doors opened there were 20-plus people there.

I bought the 300 Collector's Edition and the History Channel dvd: "Last Stand of the 300".

I usually don't buy collector's editions, but the helmet is a lot cooler than I was expecting. It's heavy and is 6" tall and 4" wide and it's on its own stand.

There was no real rush at the store, however, I am sure they will be sold out by the end of the day.

I then went over to Future Shop to pick up a different dvd when I encountered a distributor who was stocking the shelves. I noticed she had some 300 posters, some 3' tall 300 cardboard display signs, etc, etc. I asked her if I could have some and she said yes. So I walked away with an arm full of 300 posters, 300 card board displays, and some large 300 window posters. All for free and all in perfect condition.

Needless to say it has been a banner day....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 47
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 2:42:34 AM   
CJMello63

I picked up the regular DVD today. Gave my wife a Roman Helmet though.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 48
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 2:49:10 AM   
Terminus

When I saw the film in the theatre, I couldn't wait for the DVD to come out. My enthusiasm has dampened a bit since then.

(in reply to CJMello63)
Post #: 49
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:19:21 AM   
Warfare1

I just finished watching "The History Channel Presents: Last Stand of the 300".

This is "documentary" style history in the finest tradition. Clearly, the History Channel was inspired by the movie "300" in making this documentary.

Using dramatic narration, computer enhanced backgrounds, maps, enhanced terrain, and utilizing computer animated figures as well as live actors, this 90 minute documentary tells the true story of the 300. It goes into depth about the background history leading up to the Battle of Thermopylae, the important characters involved, as well as the significance of the aftermath of the battle itself.

The actual battle is staged very well and is quite dramatic.

I really enjoyed this, and the 90 minutes flew by. This has to be one of the best documentaries I have seen the History Channel produce. It makes a great companion dvd for the movie "300".

I rate it 10/10.

More reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/History-Channel-Presents-Last-Stand/dp/B000OIOPPE

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/1/2007 4:32:41 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 50
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:35:43 AM   
Warfare1

I just checked a couple of Best Buy stores in my area and they are SOLD OUT of the helmet edition.

All online copies of the helmet edition are SOLD OUT.

I have been checking on other forums, and the reports coming in indicate that all Best Buy stores are quickly being sold out of the helmet edition.

I figure it was a pretty good buy since you get a good quality helmet for just an extra $10.00.

However, in the next few months expect the price for these puppies to go through the roof. Because once they're gone, that's it baby...

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/1/2007 4:50:06 AM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 51
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 5:32:12 AM   
ilovestrategy

I loved 300. Very nice battle scenes. I loved the part when he said he had more warriors than the larger force of Greeks that had come to help

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 52
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 6:13:07 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I loved 300. Very nice battle scenes. I loved the part when he said he had more warriors than the larger force of Greeks that had come to help

I'm just watching the 300 movie dvd now. I must say, it is even better than I remember the movie in the theater.

Heart-pounding action....

... and the fight sequences are outstanding...

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 53
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 8:45:29 AM   
David Heath

I want to get the HD-DVD version.... do you know if there is a helmet edition is in HD-DVD.

David

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 54
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 10:15:57 AM   
JudgeDredd

This bloody film isn't coming out in the UK until September!! Can't believe it.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 55
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:18:46 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

I want to get the HD-DVD version.... do you know if there is a helmet edition is in HD-DVD.

David

I don't think so David. When I was at Best Buy, all the helmet editions were Standard DVDs.

This is a pity.

This is why Standard editions will always remain popular because HD-DVDs don't have these types specials. Odd.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 56
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:28:01 PM   
Terminus

quote:

Hmmm... Supposedly, it's three weeks away from release in this country.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 57
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:28:27 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

I feel your pain.

It was tough enough to wait until July 31st here.

I highly recommend getting the 300 2-Disc Helmet Edition AND the History Channel Presents: Last Stand of the 300. Together, they represent over 4 hours of viewing material.

I watched both in one evening. Even though I was a bit tired those films woke me up. Great entertainment!

The bonus disc included some deleted scenes. I thought the scene with the hunchback after he fell onto the rocks SHOULD have been kept in the film. The director said it was taken out because it slowed down the film. However, I thought it was quite effective and showed the hunchback's motivation to give in to his betrayal of the Spartans.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/1/2007 4:32:08 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 58
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:31:23 PM   
Terminus

"Helmet edition"... Huh, huh, huh...

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 59
RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** - 8/1/2007 4:32:57 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

I just finished watching "The History Channel Presents: Last Stand of the 300".

This is "documentary" style history in the finest tradition. Clearly, the History Channel was inspired by the movie "300" in making this documentary.

Using dramatic narration, computer enhanced backgrounds, maps, enhanced terrain, and utilizing computer animated figures as well as live actors, this 90 minute documentary tells the true story of the 300. It goes into depth about the background history leading up to the Battle of Thermopylae, the important characters involved, as well as the significance of the aftermath of the battle itself.

The actual battle is staged very well and is quite dramatic.

I really enjoyed this, and the 90 minutes flew by. This has to be one of the best documentaries I have seen the History Channel produce. It makes a great companion dvd for the movie "300".

I rate it 10/10.

More reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/History-Channel-Presents-Last-Stand/dp/B000OIOPPE

..armoured battle rhinos...verrrrry acurate history..

..damn that's History Channel blown away..

..btw Alexander did the elephants better..and the warfare...and the history....

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: *** MOVIE 300 - REVIEW *** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI