Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaigns on the Danube What is it like?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Campaigns on the Danube What is it like? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaigns on the Danube What is it like? - 3/10/2007 9:31:50 PM   
Ursa MAior

I am starving for a good nappy action. I just finished a book about the only Nappy battle in Hungary (Györ/Raab) and another one Die Hard! by Hawthornwaite so I am desperate for a good game (CoG is out of the question ).

I play the antique Battles of Napoleon and Fields of Glory out of pure desperation. DOSBOX rulz!

HAs anyone played it?

Art by the amazing Dixie
Post #: 1
RE: Campaigns on the Danube What is it like? - 3/11/2007 2:02:40 AM   
StCyr

well, why don´t you simply hava a look at the "Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809" forum ?

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaigns on the Danube What is it like? - 3/11/2007 11:35:07 AM   
mpa541

Although Off topic/forum......I like it, but we have used it for generating miniatures battles for our gaming group...using a hotseat game.

That is the main reason why I am hanging in on this forum....there is basically nothing avaliable which allows for a miniature wargamer to have the computer handle the logistics and let the players get easily to battles which can then be played out on the table top.

The game has a few bugs, the odd strange crash, so make sure you save your games 2 deep ie use a series of saves verses saving over the same game. Not sure how you would find it as a stand alone game....it probably lacks the intensity of modern games....our guys loved it as a hot seat battle generator!

Why won't the matrix guys listen...add the off table resolution to your games....people will buy them!!!!

mike

(in reply to StCyr)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaigns on the Danube What is it like? - 3/22/2007 8:49:58 PM   
malcolm_mccallum

I enjoyed Campaigns on the Danube though it had some severe limitations on replayability.

What I liked best about it though was that this operational level game required one to approach the problem of the 'Ulm encirclement' in such a way that I realized that it wasn't a revolutionary and splendidly choreographed anomaly. It wasn't as Chandler described it at all.

It was Napoleon simply advancing with his traditional three wings and a reserve all within supporting distance approach. When you have to look at the supply lines and depot arrangements you see how the lines of march that they undertook were really the only logical routes and if you advance in this manner it will have the appearance of an encirclement.

Trying to encircle Ulm and do elaborate maneuvers had me losing. Adopting the principles of Napoleonic Warfare and paying due attention to one's lines of communication and support and it will end up having all the appearance and effect of an encirclement.

(in reply to mpa541)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Campaigns on the Danube What is it like? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI