Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/23/2007 1:28:12 AM   
Dan Verssen

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (3-22-2007)

Dan Verssen Games (DVG) is pleased to announce the company’s expansion from game design house to game publisher.

The newly launched DVG commercial website supports the new line of strategy games as well as the previously digitally published Vassal/PDF games.

DVG is using the proven player driven pre-order system to determine when a game is published. When a game reaches 500 pre-orders, its files are sent to the printer. All pre-order status games are fully designed and artwork has started at the time the game is placed on the pre-order list. As pre-orders accumulate, the artwork is finalized, allowing the game to immediately enter production. This system makes it possible for games to be shipped to pre-ordering customers within two months of reaching 500 pre-orders.

The DVG site makes it easy for players to check their order history, and the games they currently have on pre-order. Credit cards are charged when a game enters production, not before.

The first two games on the pre-order list are Modern Naval Battles – Global Warfare, and Field Commander – Rommel.

Modern Naval Battles – Global Warfare is a complete redesign of the company’s first published game. The MNB card game features 110 Ship Cards, 110 Action Cards, and new game mechanics that maximize player options and decision-making. Players get to command the ships from 9 nations (USA, Japan, UK, France, USSR, Norway, Argentina, Taiwan, and China) in Cold War through modern day battles.
Pre-Order price: $31.99, Normal Price: $39.99

Field Commander – Rommel is the first of a new line of solitaire strategy board games. The game includes 176 5/8” counter and three 11” x 17” maps. Players get to command the legendary general’s forces in his most heroic campaigns: 1940 France, 1941 North Africa, and 1944 Normandy. The built-in game mechanics control the Allied force’s movement, battles tactics, and logistics.
Pre-Order price: $31.99, Normal Price: $39.99

Dan Verssen has designed such well respected, award-winning, games as: Modern Naval Battles, Down In Flames, Hornet Leader, 7th Sea CCG, Lightning Midway and D-Day, and Naval Battles.

Additional details can be found on the DVG website:
www.dvg.com

Post #: 1
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/23/2007 3:51:06 AM   
rogueusmc

Are you affiliated with Matrix Games?...I would think you would mention it if you were...

Lee

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Dan Verssen)
Post #: 2
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/23/2007 4:25:43 AM   
SMK-at-work

AFAIK Dan is not affiliated with anyone, although Battlefront have published the computerised version of his "Down in Flames" card game.....and a fine game it is too!!

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/23/2007 11:30:43 AM   
Dan Verssen

I'm not, yet, affiliated with Matrix but I have met some of the guys at past E3's and I've spoken with David Heath on several occasions.

In the past, they have been kind enough to lend me some space on their forum to announce new games, for which I am greatly appreciative.

-Dan Verssen
www.dvg.com

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/23/2007 11:41:37 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Verssen

I'm not, yet, affiliated with Matrix but I have met some of the guys at past E3's and I've spoken with David Heath on several occasions.

In the past, they have been kind enough to lend me some space on their forum to announce new games, for which I am greatly appreciative.

-Dan Verssen
www.dvg.com

So, there's a possibilty the upcoming computer version of "Modern Naval Battles - World War II at Sea" is going to be published by Matrix Games instead of Battlefront ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Post #: 5
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/23/2007 4:53:48 PM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

Dan is an old friend of many of the forum members and staff here at Matrix Games.  His table top games are very enjoyable.  We have talked over a few ideas with Dan and we see what the future holds.  As I have said in the past we do not mind posting of other gaming news in our General forum section just no links to purchase non-matrix titles.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 6
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/24/2007 1:06:51 AM   
ravinhood

If he would bundle all of his games together and sell them for $29.95 I'd buy them. ;) I think for what they offer individually they just aren't worth $30 bucks each.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 7
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/24/2007 1:27:59 AM   
Terminus

Of course, you haven't actually played any of them, so you don't really know whether they're good value for money, do you?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/24/2007 5:12:56 PM   
rogueusmc

ok girls...no bickering...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/24/2007 5:38:16 PM   
JeF

Hi Dan,

quote:

Additional details can be found on the DVG website:
www.dvg.com

It nice to see DVG expanding. The new website looks better than previous one, that's for sure. Good point.

quote:

Why not citing MG in the "friends" section ?

Keep up with the good work.

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

Post #: 10
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/24/2007 10:19:21 PM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeF

Keep up with the good work.

JeF.

I wouldn't have picked at him then...if you are cool with matrix here, you are cool with me.

Semper Fi,
Lee

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 11
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/25/2007 4:55:18 AM   
Dan Verssen

quote:

Excellent point!

A big oversight on my part. I just fixed it.

-Dan
www.dvg.com

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 12
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/25/2007 6:02:41 AM   
rogueusmc

See there?...back scratch......besides, if David thinks you are cool, there must be something to it...

Semper Fi,
Lee

Post #: 13
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/28/2007 1:42:53 PM   
Dan Verssen

The new site is set-up to accept credit cards, but not PayPal. How important is accepting PayPal? If there is a demand, I can look into accepting it also.

-Dan

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 14
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/29/2007 5:44:22 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

The new site is set-up to accept credit cards, but not PayPal. How important is accepting PayPal? If there is a demand, I can look into accepting it also.

-Dan

For me Paypal is more secure for information given to a stranger. I'd rather give you a paypal account number than my actual credit card number.

Post #: 15
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/29/2007 8:49:04 AM   
JeF

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
For me Paypal is more secure for information given to a stranger. I'd rather give you a paypal account number than my actual credit card number.

Interresting.
Why is it so ? Because the amount limit a bad guy can use ?
Can you dispute a payment ?
Can you revoke your Paypal account easily ?

I'm interrested to know. I don't know PayPal very well nowadays. And I'm keen to know some secure alternative to credit cards payment.

Cheers,

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 16
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/29/2007 5:28:42 PM   
old man of the sea

Well, the best thing about paypal from a sellers point is that the buyer does not have to have a real credit card to make the payment. A bank account is all they really need. You have a larger market to sell to that way.

E

"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 17
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/29/2007 6:41:57 PM   
Dan Verssen

I've started looking into adding PayPal to the DVG site. I should know something in a day or two.

(in reply to old man of the sea)
Post #: 18
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/30/2007 4:39:18 AM   
Brigz

quote:

-Dan

The best thing about PayPal for me is that you only have to give out your Credit Card info one time instead of every time you buy something. Been using it for years whenever I can and it seems pretty secure to me. It's especially handy if you don know exactly who you are dealing with.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 19
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/30/2007 4:49:58 AM   
Dan Verssen

Good news on the PayPal front!

The DVG store can be modified to allow PayPal payments without messing up our automated system used to send out registrations for Vassal/PDF orders.

It will take some custom coding and will be in place in about a week.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 20
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/31/2007 12:28:44 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

Good news on the PayPal front!

The DVG store can be modified to allow PayPal payments without messing up our automated system used to send out registrations for Vassal/PDF orders.

It will take some custom coding and will be in place in about a week.

Great to hear Dan, now, when yah gonna BUNDLE your games and sell them all for ONE LOW LOW PRICE? ;)

Post #: 21
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 3/31/2007 3:57:15 PM   
JudgeDredd

*trolling*

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 22
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/1/2007 8:59:10 AM   
ravinhood

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/1/2007 11:07:01 AM   
Dan Verssen

I just uploaded the (much requested) first game turn for a Rommel game to the DVG site. Here is the link...

http://images.dvg.com/www.dvg.com/Rommel-Sample1.pdf

:)

< Message edited by Dan Verssen -- 4/1/2007 11:11:32 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 24
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/1/2007 11:11:23 AM   
Dan Verssen

ravinhood,

Our games are priced as low as possible and still be able to show a small profit by the end of the print run. Tabletop games are different from computer games in sales volume. A computer game should sell at least several thousand games. Getting a tabletop game to sell even 1000 is a trick. True, some games like Catan may sell 100,000s or even millions, but they are the "Halo's" of the tabletop world.

Post #: 25
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/4/2007 6:03:14 AM   
Dan Verssen

I'd like to get opinions on the Rommel counter artwork.

If you look on the DVG site, you'll see samples of the Rommel counters. Right now, they have solid black images...

http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/2/Field%20Commander%20-%20Rommel

I was thinking of using color images instead.

Which do you think looks better?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dan Verssen -- 4/4/2007 6:04:12 AM >

Post #: 26
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/4/2007 3:42:45 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ravinhood,

Our games are priced as low as possible and still be able to show a small profit by the end of the print run. Tabletop games are different from computer games in sales volume. A computer game should sell at least several thousand games. Getting a tabletop game to sell even 1000 is a trick. True, some games like Catan may sell 100,000s or even millions, but they are the "Halo's" of the tabletop world.

But, I thought Zulu and Custers Last Stand and Medieval II and Battle of the Alamo were computer games you made? Do I have you confused wit someone else? ;)

EDIT: And as far as "boardgame" prices go I understand that. $30 isn't a bad deal for todays board games. It's just so hard to swallow when I started out wargaming board wargames were $3.64 at Treasure City. ;) Do 10-12 year olds come across $30 so easily nowadays? lol I got to mow lawns for $3.00-$4.00 a yard, mostly took an hour to an hour an a half to mow (three yards every 2 weeks). Was good wargame buying money back then and I also sold 100 GRIT newspapers a month at .05cents profit a paper. lol I'll never forget Avalon Hills "Stalingrad" as my first purchase. It was between it and "Gettysburg" or "Waterloo". At that point in time I was fasinated with WW2 though. I got the others though later on. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/4/2007 3:49:47 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/4/2007 3:46:46 PM   
Barthheart

The colour one looks much better. But it might be hard on people's colour ink. Maybe include both? I'd use the colour ones though.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Post #: 28
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/4/2007 6:29:48 PM   
Dan Verssen

ravinhood,

That was someone else.  

The only computer game that I have designed is the PC version of my Down In Flames card game.

Today's tabletop games do tend to be pricey. Most strategy games today with maps and counters are $50 or more. Even $100+ games are not that uncommon.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 29
RE: Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release - 4/4/2007 6:32:00 PM   
Dan Verssen

Barthheart,

The Rommel and Modern Naval Battles games will be printed and boxed. I'm not sure if they will be released as Vassal/PDF games yet.

One thing I am noticing is that at normal size, 5/8", there is very little difference between the black version and the color version of the tanks.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Dan Verssen Games (DVG) Press Release Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI