Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Features for ToaW 4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Features for ToaW 4 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/1/2007 7:32:22 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy
Ralph, I caught you on the forums! how goes the debug on the fite stuff?

I see the event that caused it. I'll fix it, and verify that there aren't any other stray events. It will take me a day or two.

I'm confused by the above statement. Was the problem with FitE or was there a residual problem with TOAW that we didn't find last time?

LoL! I think it was a residual problem with an FitE game started with an earlier version of TOAW III, that needed to be fixed.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 121
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/2/2007 8:21:40 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what we need in T4.......move-able forts. Here's a fort with a movement factor of 11. What gives?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 122
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/2/2007 9:17:07 PM   
el cid

Could TOAW 4 have the addition of grand strategy. Though it is an operational level game, I find that the most beloved scenarios usually are grand scale, and could probably benefit from some strategic aspects.

< Message edited by el cid -- 5/3/2007 7:38:20 PM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 123
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/2/2007 9:53:11 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Here's what we need in T4.......move-able forts. Here's a fort with a movement factor of 11. What gives?

That may be a unit assigned to a "fortress" or fortress region, but it is using a Machine Gun NATO icon. "Move-able forts" can be created with any type of equipment that reacts appropriately toward the other types, to gain the desired effect - in spite of the complaints of TO&E purists...

Just how plausible in the scenario they may be, is up to the designer to account for, and is another story altogether...

Post #: 124
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/3/2007 7:33:07 PM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

For those trying to get TOAW III under Linux, try reading this thread http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1211390&mpage=1 and maybe pm'ing or emailing superdave56 for instructions and tips. He seemed to be able to get the game to work.

I have compiled Wine (0.9.36) and now TOAW 3 runs on Linux but very slowly...

]

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 125
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/5/2007 10:40:21 AM   
Dave Ferguson

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

The Butterfly Effect

The law of unintended consequences can spoil long scenarios, especially irritating if you have just played 125 turns of FITE! The scenario just gets out of balance and there is nothing you can do about it.

What we need is the ability to dip into a scenario in progress and change stuff like formation composition, replacement rates etc etc.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 126
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/5/2007 5:41:47 PM   
Veers

Actually that ability was taken away with T3 to avoid the potential for cheating.

And, the law of unintended consequence is realistsic. It's a good thing. You can't win, or even do well, in every game you play.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Dave Ferguson)
Post #: 127
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/5/2007 7:29:03 PM   
Dave Ferguson

If it was taken away it should be put back because what I am talking about is unintended consequences of scenario design decisions. How many times has FITE been playtested for ALL its turns. I would not start a scenario that would involve months of effort, only to find you have to start all over. I am not suggesting a scenario dump that you can open with the editor just the ability to change some numbers. Of course it is the events that cause the most problems.
Or thinking about it another way maybe a scenario such as FITE should be several smaller scenarios, the problem being how do you have the end of one scenario be the start of another without a large amount of work?

As far as cheating is concerned it would be possible to have a log of changes embedded in the game so any change was agreed by the players, changes without agreement would mean a immediate loss.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 128
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 5/5/2007 8:19:41 PM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Ferguson

If it was taken away it should be put back because what I am talking about is unintended consequences of scenario design decisions. How many times has FITE been playtested for ALL its turns. I would not start a scenario that would involve months of effort, only to find you have to start all over. I am not suggesting a scenario dump that you can open with the editor just the ability to change some numbers. Of course it is the events that cause the most problems.
Or thinking about it another way maybe a scenario such as FITE should be several smaller scenarios, the problem being how do you have the end of one scenario be the start of another without a large amount of work?

As far as cheating is concerned it would be possible to have a log of changes embedded in the game so any change was agreed by the players, changes without agreement would mean a immediate loss.

*shrugs* I suppose having a change log in there with some sort of notice to the other player that the scneraio has been changed durign the game would be a good idea.

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Dave Ferguson)
Post #: 129
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/8/2007 5:40:57 PM   
LOK_32MK

Jamiam/Ralph
Is there any hope of seeing naval improvements in TOAW IV (such as interception by enemy fleets and other fine ideas suggested by several people)? They don't have to be huge improvements. Just enough to make the naval aspects of the game slightly more realistic.
Any thoughts?

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 130
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/8/2007 7:03:01 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: LOK_32MK

Jamiam/Ralph
Is there any hope of seeing naval improvements in TOAW IV (such as interception by enemy fleets and other fine ideas suggested by several people)? They don't have to be huge improvements. Just enough to make the naval aspects of the game slightly more realistic.
Any thoughts?

We've got some ideas floating around that should improve naval interaction in future versions. I won't go into detail on any of them, as it's way too early, but yes, we are hoping to make that aspect better.
Then again, just about anything is "better" so the bar is, fortunately, set pretty low for us...

(in reply to LOK_32MK)
Post #: 131
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/8/2007 7:40:52 PM   
Veers

Are those ideas floating around for T3, or T4?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 132
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/8/2007 7:47:45 PM   
Karri

Is there any hopes of say doubling the unit limit?

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 133
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/8/2007 8:26:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

yes.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 134
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/8/2007 8:45:39 PM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

yes.

Post #: 135
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/9/2007 1:07:50 AM   
SMK-at-work

Oh and multiple ressurection sites please - ones that have some bearing to where units might actually do some recovery........

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 136
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/9/2007 1:22:10 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Oh and multiple ressurection sites please

Blasphemy!

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 137
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/9/2007 2:09:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

I want to see the inclusion of Hospitals and Supply dumps etc. in the game. Hey you guys.....here's your Java code fix for the day:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 138
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/9/2007 2:59:15 PM   
JMass

I would like a window containing a summary of all planned battles and relative %.

< Message edited by JMass -- 5/9/2007 3:02:02 PM >

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Post #: 139
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/9/2007 7:47:59 PM   
Telumar

quote:

I want to see the inclusion of Hospitals and Supply dumps etc. in the game. Hey you guys.....here's your Java code fix for the day:

Terrain names, Unit type names etc can only be modified by a separate language file (like the translations)...either you manipulate/mod the strings from the language kit and compile a dll or you modify the .dll directly with a ressource editor (ResHacker or Xn Ressource Editor i.e.), both might be cumbersome. So Larry what's this screnshot from? Some kind of language.dll editor?

Post #: 140
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/9/2007 8:54:47 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
So Larry what's this screnshot from? Some kind of language.dll editor?

I wrote the equipment editor in Java and it seems to be working. Now I thought I'd tackle the unit editor and maybe the OOB editor or something. I haven't given much thought to replacing the evil editor but that remains a remote possibillity.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 141
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/10/2007 12:42:41 AM   
redwolf

I've seen some mention of running it under Linux.

I don't visit this forum very often, I'm easiest to reach on ACG or gamesquad. Maybe we should have a separate thread here, but somebody needs to notify me.

But anyway, I have it running in both Wine and VMware, and performance is quite good, except that occasionally it just sits there dumb fat and stupid for several minutes. Since it happens both in Wine and VMware it isn't simply a case of the Windows emulation being slow (VMware runs a "real" Windows) or massive I/O. It must be something like heavy use of a particular GUI routine in the Windows libraries that happens to be hard to emulate.

Post #: 142
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/10/2007 2:01:10 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

Blasphemy!

not to an atheist!

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 143
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/10/2007 2:19:20 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

quote:

Blasphemy!

not to an atheist!

Heretic!

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 144
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/14/2007 6:17:59 AM   
freeboy

I want to be more specific in the areas I assagn my air units to fly, IE cap along the rail from x to 7, or, combat support for this region. etc

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 145
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/14/2007 4:12:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: redwolf
But anyway, I have it running in both Wine and VMware, and performance is quite good, except that occasionally it just sits there dumb fat and stupid for several minutes.

Maybe it's doing garbage collection during those periods, like in Java's VM?

(in reply to redwolf)
Post #: 146
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/17/2007 2:28:44 AM   
redwolf

quote:

quote:

But anyway, I have it running in both Wine and VMware, and performance is quite good, except that occasionally it just sits there dumb fat and stupid for several minutes.

Maybe it's doing garbage collection during those periods, like in Java's VM?

I think that is out of question. First of all we know TOAW is pretty plain C code, which makes it unlikely that e.g. the Boehm collector has been plugged in.

Then, GC is very memory intensive and leads to many TLB misses. TLB misses are very expensive in VMware (as the guest OS has no TLB hardware and every page fault is resolved by doing a page table walk in software), but very fast in Wine (where the native VM system of the host is used). The slowdown appears in very similar manners in both VMware and in Wine, so we know it doesn't have to do with the VM system and hence probably not some kind of GCing.

Also, the pauses are far too long.

< Message edited by redwolf -- 5/17/2007 2:30:47 AM >

Post #: 147
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/17/2007 3:27:59 AM   
JMass

quote:

The slowdown appears in very similar manners in both VMware and in Wine, so we know it doesn't have to do with the VM system and hence probably not some kind of GCing.
Also, the pauses are far too long.

On my box TOAW3 running smoothly using VMware and XP SP2, is just a few slow, but is unplayable in Wine.

(in reply to redwolf)
Post #: 148
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/17/2007 5:11:54 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: JMass

I would like a window containing a summary of all planned battles and relative %.

Would you settle for being able to go through them in the combat screen instead easily?

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 149
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - Naval improvements - 5/17/2007 5:13:46 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

I've seen some mention of running it under Linux.

I don't visit this forum very often, I'm easiest to reach on ACG or gamesquad. Maybe we should have a separate thread here, but somebody needs to notify me.

But anyway, I have it running in both Wine and VMware, and performance is quite good, except that occasionally it just sits there dumb fat and stupid for several minutes. Since it happens both in Wine and VMware it isn't simply a case of the Windows emulation being slow (VMware runs a "real" Windows) or massive I/O. It must be something like heavy use of a particular GUI routine in the Windows libraries that happens to be hard to emulate.

Is there a certain time when it does that? There are things like the Carrier AI that take a long time to process.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to redwolf)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Features for ToaW 4 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI