Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/25/2000 10:26:00 PM   
Dave R

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laurent Favre: [B] How many of the downloaded copies are yet played? Not a critic but all games are less and less played with time, as new games are released. Well! If you view SPWaW as a natural progression from SP1 then it's been on my computer 4 years. I can in all honesty say that Steel Panthers has been on my machine in one form or another since I first came across it in 96. Yes, there's been times that it's been neglected for a few weeks, but I've always come back to it! To date there has been no other wargame to match it, be it both real time or turn based. Oh I'm not saying that I'll never abandon SP, but todate there's nothing on the horizon that threatens to take it's crown!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 31
- 8/26/2000 12:41:00 AM   
BA Evans

quote:

Originally posted by Dave R: [QUOTE]Originally posted by laurent Favre: [B] Well! If you view SPWaW as a natural progression from SP1 then it's been on my computer 4 years. I can in all honesty say that Steel Panthers has been on my machine in one form or another since I first came across it in 96. Yes, there's been times that it's been neglected for a few weeks, but I've always come back to it! To date there has been no other wargame to match it, be it both real time or turn based. Oh I'm not saying that I'll never abandon SP, but todate there's nothing on the horizon that threatens to take it's crown!
AGREED!!

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 32
- 8/26/2000 3:54:00 AM   
Tombstone

Me too. I've had it on my computer the whole time, and it gets played regularly. I'm also a mainstream game player and play first person shooters and real-time strat games so its not like all I play are these good old wargames. The other kinds of games fall by wayside to the newer and better eventually. But wargames are judged by the play more than the technology, thats why they have longer lifetimes... but fewer users unfortunately. Tomo

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 33
- 8/26/2000 5:57:00 AM   
troopie

I would love to play as a company commander in a real-time wargame where I could say "Carruthers, take your squad and clear that house. Kemp, Your squad will support. Masters, your machineguns will suppress that Jerry foxhole." And they would do it without me having to move each man and fire each shot. Or not do it and we'd have to live with the consequences. Until then, I'll take IGYG troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 34
- 8/26/2000 6:47:00 AM   
jsaurman

The coolest wargame of all, would be one that "promotes" you based on experience and performance into different types of games. For example: 1. Level One, you are a green second lieutenant in his first tank. This would be an eyewitness view like Combat Mission. You fight just your tank to achieve an objective with your squad or platoon. 2. If you do well you get promoted to Captain, and fight a company to its objective. You would command each tank, but you would not control each tank, sort of like Panzer General 3D Assault. 3. If you do well you get promoted again, and would command batallion and then brigade groups of units, sort of like SPWAW. 4. If you still do well, you get promoted to command a Corps or Army Group, sort of like Empire Deluxe, where you are commanding forces engaging multiple battles in farflung parts of the country or even the entire world! Wouldn't that just be the best game? Whichever style of game you like you could continue by refusing your promotion to the next level. JIM [This message has been edited by jsaurman (edited August 25, 2000).]

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 35
- 8/26/2000 7:48:00 AM   
troopie

Actually, there was a helo sim like that. Gunship2000. You started in training, got your wings and became a WO1. You flew one bird. If you survived long enough and accomplished enough of your objectives you could become a 2nd Lt. and commanded a flight of 5. As you moved up you could get more advanced helos and better pilots as replacements. When you finished 50 missions or got promoted to Brigadier your combat days were over and you got to fly a desk. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 36
- 8/26/2000 2:42:00 PM   
B52g

I have been, and still play the original Steel Panthers. Why? It has an enormous amount of scenerios to choose from. I have everything Novastar ever released for it before they went under. I can be anyone, anywhere, in any theatre, at any time. I have never played against another person in all these years, just the AI. But I think when SPWAW version 3.0 is done, I am going to venture out and find out how good I REALLY am. I dont like most real time games. After playing Sid Meyers Antietam, it took the fun out of it. The game is great (graphics), but it was obviuos to me that the game was programmed to stess the human player by simply giving him to much to do at once. No real strategy, just spread out, run around, and see if the human can controll a couple hundred units all at the same time. No more money for them. I have a foot in two worlds, I love games like SPWAW, but I also like to go online and get fragged a million times by some 14 year old kid playing Unreal Tournament. I dont understand a lot of things that go on in the gaming world anymore. It seems like more and more games have no substance to them at all. I have played games like Axis&Allies on my computer that were so buggy that they are almost un-playable. Any fool who played the game for an hour could find the bugs, and yet they shipped it. I played that game when I was a kid with my friends for countless hours, and after playing the pc version, I feel like Hasbro stole from me. Then there are other games that just seem to stick up their middle finger at you as you play them. I just sit there and think " why did they put this in here?", dont they relize that they are losing costomers? So, they dont care about putting out a quality product, and I dont care if they go under. BUT, then I run into the likes of this place, where a super product is put out, where people actually listen to their costomers (Wild Bill), and people seem to care. And its free! I feel guilty comming in here and taking these guys hard work. I will be watching for when these guys decide to make a game of their own and sell it, because I know its going to be good.

John

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 37
- 8/26/2000 6:14:00 PM   
Polrbear

Remember Computer Ambush's WG-WL-YVIV system. WOW! (We go - we listen - you view, I view). Simple but effective.

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 38
- 8/26/2000 6:21:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: ... Open source software development for general use items like operating systems is a good thing, but for games I think it has an uphill battle.
Don't be too quick to shrug off Open Source games. The FreeCiv project is going *very* well. It all depends on the game. When you have something like a Civilization clone or the latest version/variant of the roguelike games, you've got something that crosses enough categories to gain a useful, substantial community. What Open Source can't do, really, is truly innovate when it comes to games. The available energy is devoted purely to implementing clones of popular games (like Civ) because thats what the coders want to play, rather than creating brand new games. FreeCiv is following CivI/II and the roguelike communities are sticking to a basic game design originated in, well, Rogue. Despite the lack of innovation all these projects have major followings. An Open Source project for an RTS game ala WarCraft/C&C is possible, I think there is one already, but, are we going to see an Open Source "Metal Tigers"? I doubt it.

(in reply to Graf Speer)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI