Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in the West Map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Scenario Design >> War in the West Map Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in the West Map - 4/14/2007 4:09:18 AM   
hueglin

For anyone who is interested:

Here is a recent screen of a map I am working on, c.1914. So far it has major rivers, country names and boundaries, and large port city names.

I've also started work on the wpohex.dat file.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: War in the West Map - 4/14/2007 4:13:40 AM   
hueglin

Here's a full scale shot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hueglin -- 4/14/2007 4:14:38 AM >

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 2
RE: War in the West Map - 4/14/2007 10:01:06 AM   
bradfordkay

Beautiful looking maps. Are they to WPO 60nm scale?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 3
RE: War in the West Map - 4/14/2007 2:26:48 PM   
hueglin

Brad,

Thanks, yes they are 60 nm hexes. Before I started the map I read on the WITP website that the scale was 60nm per hex. I have subsequently learned from reading the WITP forum that they are actually 60 statute miles, so aircraft ranges would need to be modified to be accurate.

It doesn't bother me too much because my main plan is to use the map to represent hypothetical conflicts around the 1914 time period. Any aircraft stats would need to be created from scratch for that anyway.

Dave

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 4
RE: War in the West Map - 4/18/2007 2:19:53 AM   
Monter_Trismegistos

Wow! I would like these. Some time ago I started putting Hochseeflotte ships into database, with WWI mod in mind. But I finished my work just after that - I thought I would never get correct map. Now,Heavens send me You! :)

1. Could you show panels covering North Sea and Baltic, to show how tight is there?
2. What are those white and black thingies in mid Atlantic?

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 5
RE: War in the West Map - 4/18/2007 4:48:53 PM   
JagdFlanker

sweet job!

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 6
RE: War in the West Map - 4/18/2007 10:16:05 PM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

1. Could you show panels covering North Sea and Baltic, to show how tight is there?
2. What are those white and black thingies in mid Atlantic?

I will be trying to figure out how to get the maps up on to Send Space and will post a link when it is done.

There is not a lot of room in the Baltic - Europe is fairly small at this scale.

The black lines are routes through the middle of the Atlantic. Inside the grey lines are no-go areas. Because I wanted to include India, I had to shorten the width of the Atlantic. My limited research on WW1 in the Atlantic indicated that most of the U-boat war was closer to the coasts rather than in the middle of the Atlantic, so I thought I would create the black routes that follow the trade routes and represent the distance fairly accurately. If it turns out they are too much of a 'bottleneck', I will add in more routes.

Obviously someone else could take the map and cut out India to add back in the mid Atlantic.

I'd love to get your data on the Hochseeflotte. i have not done any research in that regard - yet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 7
RE: War in the West Map - 4/19/2007 1:32:12 AM   
hueglin

Here is the link for the map panels in Send Space.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tdtpac NOTE: This is a new link
I made it a self extracting zip file called : WarintheWestMap. It contains the hexed panels and the jump map only.

Anyone is welcome to use or modify the maps in any way. I would appreciate mention as the originator. I consider this a beta version and will continue to modify and update it as I continue my own project.

The original map with various layers (hexes, rivers, names) is in Corel Photopaint 11. If you are interested in getting a copy in that format send me a PM.

The wpohex data file is a lot of work. I am doing a rough go through just trying to get the river/land/ocean/coast hexes correct. I've done about 6,000 hexes so far.

Any suggestions are welcome,

Dave

< Message edited by hueglin -- 5/15/2007 11:11:47 PM >

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 8
RE: War in the West Map - 4/19/2007 4:13:13 AM   
Captain Torry

This looks great. Are we talking about a full WWI mod here? I would sure like to see one.

Regards:
Captain Rockwell Torry

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 9
RE: War in the West Map - 4/19/2007 12:08:56 PM   
Przemcio231

Great Job!!! but do you think WPO ground Combat model can handle Trench Warfare or the Collaps of Russian Morale?? Any way looking foward to see this in Action.  Do you need help with Fleet OOb's and such??

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to Captain Torry)
Post #: 10
RE: War in the West Map - 4/19/2007 4:05:56 PM   
MadmanRick

Ok, so this map will be used for a WW1 mod, that's very cool! It seems that it would be possible to also use it for a War in the Atlantic/Med WW2 mod. I think I would be just as much or more interested in a WW2 mod.

Rick

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 11
RE: War in the West Map - 4/19/2007 5:50:28 PM   
hueglin

quote:

Przemcio231
Great Job!!! but do you think WPO ground Combat model can handle Trench Warfare or the Collaps of Russian Morale?? Any way looking foward to see this in Action. Do you need help with Fleet OOb's and such??

Thanks for the support,

I haven't done any testing of the land warfare system for WW1. I am expecting that almost every hex in Europe will need to be a base, which could then be fortified to represent trench lines/fortifications. So I am imagining that you would end up with opposing forces in adjecent hexes that are fortified, trying to attack into and gain a foothold in the enemies hex.

As I have stated earlier in this, or another thread, my personal preference is for a hypothetical England/Germany/Austria-Hungary vs France/US/Italy/Russia. I think you could set that up so that it required much more emphasis on naval action - the British needing to maintain the link to India, South America and Africa (for supplies) the French and Italians needing US support.

Any work on fleet OOBs would be appreciated. I'm also wondering about WW1 aircraft and whether it would be worth trying to model them.

< Message edited by hueglin -- 4/19/2007 7:34:04 PM >

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 12
RE: War in the West Map - 4/19/2007 7:00:26 PM   
JagdFlanker

actually if anything the WitP land combat engine probably supports WWI land combat much better than WWII. movement is slow for all units, and a well defended hex takes ages to defeat so each player could have a double line of defence to prevent breakthroughs. since theres a long line to defend it would be very difficult to mass your troops anywhere for a breakthrough, and even if you could the enemy has plenty of time to reinforce the second line. as long as you didn't include the russian front i think a full WWI scenario is much more plausible than a WW II scen.

if you wanted to keep it simple though it could be arranged that france/england sucks up supplies somehow and the allies need to keep sending convoys across without needing to worry about any land combat - that could easily accommodate a WWI or WWII scen

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 13
wpohex.dat update - 4/25/2007 1:37:38 AM   
hueglin

For those interested,

I am past the 10,000 hex mark on the wpohex.dat file (the middle of Great Britain). Even when done, this will be version 1 - it will need refining to more accurately portray specific areas of importance. Right now some of the input data is just my best guess from looking at the colours on the map and my background knowledge about the terrain in various countries.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 14
Beta version of wpohex.dat complete - 5/6/2007 3:38:56 PM   
hueglin

As the subject line states, I have finished a preliminary version of the wpohex.dat file for the War in the West map. Anyone who wants a copy can pm me with their e-mail. Next step on the map front is to put the transportation network on the map and then enter it into the dat file. I have lots of info for that time period but it will still be a lot of work.

I will also make a start on adding in the bases.

I have started some preliminary data entry for ship classes (I do this when I get tired of working on the map/hex file).

< Message edited by hueglin -- 5/20/2007 4:51:15 AM >

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 15
RE: Beta version of wpohex.dat complex - 5/6/2007 6:44:49 PM   
String

Very Very Impressive :)

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 16
RE: Beta version of wpohex.dat complex - 5/11/2007 11:14:43 AM   
Dali

This super works!!

(in reply to String)
Post #: 17
RE: Beta version of wpohex.dat complex - 5/15/2007 11:12:45 PM   
hueglin

New link for map:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tdtpac

Sendspace deactivates a download if it is not used within one week. If you try the site and it is not working, just send me a pm and I will update it.

(in reply to Dali)
Post #: 18
War in the West Mod update - 6/2/2007 2:30:16 PM   
hueglin

To anyone interested,

I have completed the entries for all/most of the base names and put in provisional port and airfield sizes. I still need to decide on supply, fortification and industry.

I have been playing around with the TOEs for the Land Units. My plan is to model the following:
Army Group HQ, Army HQ, Divisions, Corps Troops, Army Troops (arty and engineers), specific smaller organizations e.g. independent Brigades.

There are not enough slots to model Corps HQs (and with this game scale you would end up with more than one in a hex in Europe).

I am still not sure if I will need to lump the Corps and Army Troops into fixed units designated by the Corps or Army title or if I will be able to represent all of those units individually. I am suspecting there will not be enough slots to do it on an individual basis.

I have been collecting info on the multitude of artillery types that were available to the various countries in 1914 (some types dating back to the 1870s) - I want to at least get a good list of all of the designations so that I can make a well organized device list - that way I can allocate the arty types to a slot number and worry about the correct data later.

I have created an infantry section and cavalry section device for each nation so that the devices can be used to model the availability of training/manpower for that nation.

I still need to add in the transportation network to the map and the wpohex.dat file. Right now I have been taking a break from the map.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 19
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/2/2007 4:47:06 PM   
JagdFlanker

fantastic work!

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 20
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/2/2007 11:15:19 PM   
hueglin

Thanks.

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 21
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/7/2007 11:09:20 PM   
showboat1

I was just thinking about how much I would like to have a WWI game to play and here com a WWI mod for WPO.  Is this thing for real or have I just had too much Southern Comfort today?

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 22
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/8/2007 12:28:29 AM   
hueglin

It's for real but it is a very slow process. If you read back in this post and an earlier post I started on this site (which you may already have done), you will get a sense of how it is progressing.

I am currently inputting the German Army order of battle (I have some fairly detailed sources). I am hoping to get part of the German Orbat and part of the French Orbat entered in so I can start some play testing of the land combat.

Just so you know, my mod is not exactly WW1. I am setting it up with the British being allied with the Germans and Austria-Hungary and the US entering the war early to support the French and Russians. In every other way it will be as historically accurate as possible. The reason I am setting it up that way is to make it more interesting (in my view), especially from a naval viewpoint.

(in reply to showboat1)
Post #: 23
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/9/2007 5:43:52 AM   
Anthropoid

Wow, amazing work. Looks beautiful!

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 24
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/9/2007 6:45:05 PM   
showboat1

Now all you need are ship data files, artwork, OOB for land units, experienced testers......  Oh wait, I'm one of those  

SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 25
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/9/2007 6:47:33 PM   
showboat1

quote:

ORIGINAL: hueglin

I have been collecting info on the multitude of artillery types that were available to the various countries in 1914 (some types dating back to the 1870s) - I want to at least get a good list of all of the designations so that I can make a well organized device list - that way I can allocate the arty types to a slot number and worry about the correct data later.

Maybe you could just use some generic artillery to represent the old pieces that weren't really that effective anymore.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 26
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/9/2007 9:19:07 PM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: showboat1

quote:

ORIGINAL: hueglin

Maybe you could just use some generic artillery to represent the old pieces that weren't really that effective anymore.

Yes, although if the slots are available, I would rather have the actual equipment names - part of the fun (and frustration) of modding is actually going out and collecting the obscure details.

(in reply to showboat1)
Post #: 27
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/14/2007 6:16:58 AM   
TeK

Keep it up. I'll need to schedule an all nighter for myself once this scenario is complete.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 28
RE: War in the West Mod update - 6/15/2007 4:09:00 AM   
Philodraco

woderful work! please carry on !

< Message edited by Philodraco -- 6/15/2007 4:10:05 AM >

(in reply to TeK)
Post #: 29
RE: War in the West Map - 6/18/2007 3:31:58 AM   
hueglin

Not much to report this week - real life got in the way. I have started putting in the French Infantry Divisions and locating them at their garrisons/mobilization areas. The German Infantry, Cavalry and Reserve Divisions are on the map and partially place in the correct areas.

I changed the base icons of the Japanese to German and the unit colours to grey.

Once my summer holidays start (in two weeks) I will begin the transportation network.

If anyone wants to design the screen art (loading screen etc,), any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

< Message edited by hueglin -- 6/18/2007 1:37:03 PM >

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Scenario Design >> War in the West Map Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI