Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PureSim vs Vista x64

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim vs Vista x64 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PureSim vs Vista x64 - 4/14/2007 5:47:24 PM   
URett

I recently bought a new high-end pc running Vista x64. When I start a new association everything runs smoothly, but after a while things slow down to a point where the day end operations take 30 minutes or more. The problem is not linked to the run-time of PureSim but to the association. Running compatibility mode or not doesn't seem to make a difference. When PureSim is working properly CPU usage will constantly be about 25-30%, when it doesn't there are only very short very infrequent spikes in CPU usage.

All other programs/games perform as expected, so I don't think there is a problem with the computer.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this and how to fix it?
Post #: 1
RE: PureSim vs Vista x64 - 4/14/2007 6:09:13 PM   
puresimmer

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Vista x64 machine, so this will be a tough one to figure out. To be honest, I am shocked it works at all. x64 is a tough OS compatibility-wise and I'm not sure what to expect with PureSim's code base on that platform.

What you are descriving almost sounds like a memory leak, but if it were a memory leak in PureSim then we'd be seeing that on XP as well.

I guess besides making sure you have all the latest drivers and patches, as well as running in compatibility mode, I don't have a lot of suggestions until I can get my hands on an x64 box.

Good luck, and please let us know if you can find any solutions.

One other option I can think of is to get VMWare or Virtual PC (both free) and run PureSim on an XP 32bit Virtual Machine. I know that works because it's how I do all my OS/Clean machine/Install/regression testing.

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to URett)
Post #: 2
RE: PureSim vs Vista x64 - 4/28/2007 11:51:19 PM   
URett

It seems the problem is linked to association size. It happened with all 40 team leagues, but my current 16-team association is now in it's 26th season and everything is fine. My pc is very high end, so it shouldn't be a memory problem, but who knows. Not being able to play with 40 teams is only a minor inconvenience.

(in reply to URett)
Post #: 3
RE: PureSim vs Vista x64 - 7/29/2007 12:12:47 PM   
URett

Shaun, have you had a chance to play around with Vista 64? I just upgraded to 1.63 and the problem with 40 team associations dying still persists.

(in reply to URett)
Post #: 4
RE: PureSim vs Vista x64 - 9/24/2007 9:48:18 PM   
URett

bump

(in reply to URett)
Post #: 5
RE: PureSim vs Vista x64 - 9/27/2007 6:18:02 PM   
slider15

I have a 40 team league as well, and I have recently noticed the problem of it slowing down as time goes on. I am running XP by the way.

(in reply to URett)
Post #: 6
RE: PureSim vs Vista x64 - 9/28/2007 2:04:38 PM   
puresimmer

I have heard that there are some issues with the database engine I am using on Vista x64.

I'll need to go out and get a copy and test it in a virtual machine. Thanks. Sounds like you may need to use another assn config, I'm not sure how long it will take me to track this down, and if I can it probably will be big enough changes that it might have to wait until next season's version.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to slider15)
Post #: 7
RE: PureSim vs Vista x64 - 9/28/2007 8:50:55 PM   
URett

Shaun, thanks for looking into it, I would agree that it's not important enough to upset your schedule for PS2008.

I seem to remember that the problem happened to smaller associations (MLB setup iirc) as well, just much much later. My guess would be that it has to do with the size of the database, but as I mentioned before, I have no programming background at all.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim vs Vista x64 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI