Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lockups when starting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Lockups when starting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lockups when starting - 4/16/2007 1:45:54 AM   
Bernie

Just bought a copy of Harpoon 3 and I'm having some troubles getting it running on my machine.

Specs:

Win98SE
ASUS MB w/dual P3@500mhz
512MB Ram
ATI 8500 Raedon video card (128MB)
DirectX 9.c

Problem:

Trying to get the game to run, either from the splash screen or the quick start link results in a total lockup after the DOS box loads. Sometimes, but not always, there will be a black bar, full screen width, taking up the center 1/3 of the screen. Only way to continue is to cold boot.

Tried so far:

DirectX Diagnostics, no reported problems.
Shut down everything running in the background (except for anti-virus)
Set all game configuration options to the bare minimums

Any suggestions?

What, me worry?
Post #: 1
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/16/2007 3:55:59 PM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: VCDH

Hi Bernie,

In your root H3 folder there should be a small EXE called 'setup'. What this will do is run the Allegro setup program (we use it as the middle man to provide our windows interface). Our programmer says that you probably need to set up your sound using that. Try that and let me know if you still have problems.

Later
D

Found it, ran it, used "autodetect", no problems. It detected my sound card just fine, and it worked perfect when I used the "test" functions. Exited the Allegro setup program, loaded the splash screen menu, clicked "play", DOS box came up (nothing visible in it), greyed out, window with the game name and version in the title bar appeared in the center of the screen, then the infamous black band came up across the screen and the system locked up solid.

I'm open for more suggestions. :)

I'd offer a screen capture to show what I'm seeing, but that's impossible to do when it locks up. Might possibly be able to snap a digital pic if you want it.
Post #: 2
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/17/2007 3:49:51 AM   
analog

I had a similar problem running 3.6, have not experienced it with 3.7 or 3.8. It was a video card problem that I never really was able to fix. By accident I found that I can run a different graphic intensive game, exit it, then run Harpoon and it would work ok. Not sure why but my guess is that some graphic card variable is set by the other game that then allows H3 to work. BTW Using GEForce 6800-GTO card with nvidia chipset.

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 3
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/17/2007 4:04:14 AM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: analog

I had a similar problem running 3.6, have not experienced it with 3.7 or 3.8. It was a video card problem that I never really was able to fix. By accident I found that I can run a different graphic intensive game, exit it, then run Harpoon and it would work ok. Not sure why but my guess is that some graphic card variable is set by the other game that then allows H3 to work. BTW Using GEForce 6800-GTO card with nvidia chipset.

I've heard of similar strange things with the nVidia chipset and drivers, but very rarely have I heard of problems like that with ATI. That's one of the reasons I bought this video card in fact.

(in reply to analog)
Post #: 4
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/17/2007 3:16:41 PM   
Bernie

quote:

Have you tried running without your sound bernie? Our programmer believes that it may have something to do with your sound. As for video, the simple fact is that you could be correct. This is an old program and we're still discovering tweaks for it. I too use an ATI card and have had more problems with newer programs than Harpoon.

Later
D

Yes, I have tried it without sound and I still get the same results. As I said earlier, one of the things I tried was setting all the game preferences to their bare minimums, and that includes ticking "No Sound" on the configuration options.

Still, just to be certain, I tried it again just now and got the same results.

Anyone have more suggestions? I'm willing to experiment since I've got $50 invested here, that I don't think is refundable if the game doesn't work.

What, me worry?
Post #: 5
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/17/2007 11:49:12 PM   
Bernie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bernie
Anyone have more suggestions? I'm willing to experiment since I've got $50 invested here, that I don't think is refundable if the game doesn't work.

I must admit that this is a new one to us. In 99% of all cases like this it's usually something very minor and we slap ourselves for not noticing. I have a RADEON 9600 and never ever seen this before.

We'll get you set up, it may take longer than I like (more than 5 minutes is usually longer than I like) but we'll fix ya up.

Later
D

Just let me know if you need more info, specs, or want me to try something else.

What, me worry?
Post #: 6
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/18/2007 1:40:38 AM   
Bucks

Bernie, sorry if it's been suggested and I missed it. Have you tried to run the game "in a window" vs running it full screen? Even playing around with the window size the game is displayed with in the launcher.

Not that Harpoon is a graphics intensive program but try this out if you have the inclination. I'm assuming you've updated your Vid card's drivers. If you still have the installation disc try re-installing the original "factory" drivers rather than the latest updated drivers. I've known that approach to work with high end 3D games after a driver update renders a game unusable.

Sorry not quite up to speed to ATI cards, had a bad experience and returned to Nvidia quick smart. In the last three months I've replaced a mobo and HDD and the game didn't protest in the least. Good luck with it and if I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers

Darren

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 7
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/18/2007 4:43:27 AM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bucks

Bernie, sorry if it's been suggested and I missed it. Have you tried to run the game "in a window" vs running it full screen? Even playing around with the window size the game is displayed with in the launcher.

Not that Harpoon is a graphics intensive program but try this out if you have the inclination. I'm assuming you've updated your Vid card's drivers. If you still have the installation disc try re-installing the original "factory" drivers rather than the latest updated drivers. I've known that approach to work with high end 3D games after a driver update renders a game unusable.

Sorry not quite up to speed to ATI cards, had a bad experience and returned to Nvidia quick smart. In the last three months I've replaced a mobo and HDD and the game didn't protest in the least. Good luck with it and if I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers

Darren

For the life of me I've been unable to locate that setting (window vs. full-screen) again. I know I saw it the first time I ran the game and edited the configuration but now I can't seem to locate it to change it.

As for the drivers for the video card, I have both the original factory drivers on CD and the latest drivers from the ATI site and they are the same version numbers.

As for your hardware problems, I can sympathize! In the last 6 months I've replaced (or added) two MB's, three PS, a video card, a sound card, two RAID cards, two fans, a pair of HDD's, a USB card and a DVD burner.

< Message edited by Bernie -- 4/18/2007 4:44:22 AM >

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 8
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/18/2007 6:18:03 AM   
Bernie

UPDATE:

Found the window/full-screen settings! I had forgotten it was an .opt file. I did have it set to run in a window, so I disabled that option and tried it as full-screen and... it works.

Now all I have to do is print out the docs, read 'em, and see how much of the game "comes back" to me from when I owned the 360 version back in the 90's.

Considering that version ran fine on a 386-40 DX I really don't expect any further troubles.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions, help and support.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 9
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/19/2007 2:53:14 AM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

-Edit- Good news that you got it going. These instructions stay relevant to anyone having this sort of problems.
Howdy Bernie,

There are a variety of variables to check here but they all involve using the H3 configuration tool, the H3 Launcher. You can find this in the Extras folder under the Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare folder in the start menu.

The first thing you'll want to do is uncheck the 'Close Launcher after Starting Harpoon 3' option. Then try the following options:

Under the Launch H3 MP tab:
Enable the 'Skip Intro' option
Enable the 'Trap Error' option
Disable the 'Activate VCR' option
Disable the 'Autosave' option

Under the Video And Sound options tab:
Enable 'Run in Window Mode'
Select a standard resolution such as 1024X768
Disable 'Show Videos'
Set Sound to 'No Sound'

If you've tried disabling sound then the most likely cause is an incompatible video setting so I would start there. Try different resolutions but also disable the intro. This has been the 'killer' feature a few times before.

Let me know if this helps you get going.

< Message edited by rsharp@advancedgamin -- 4/19/2007 3:14:55 AM >

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 10
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/19/2007 3:51:51 AM   
Bernie

quote:

FWIW, (sorry the hockey playoffs were on), you can find info about the launcher here:

http://mediawiki.advancedgaming.biz/index.php/H3_Launcher

The windows check-box is in the upper left corner of the 'Video and Sound Options' tab

Glad to see you got it running. As another player from the 360 days I know all about getting it to run (I had a DX2/66) much less stay stable. If you need any further help please let us know and we'll get on it.

Later
D

Really? In what version? All I see in that position is the screen resolution settings.

DX2/66 huh? You were the "cool kid" on your block.

I will say that I sometimes miss those days, why computer gaming took imagination as well as nimble fingers, but I sure don't miss those 8" and 5.25" floppies! I think the version of Harpoon I had back then used twelve 5.25's, plus another couple for the extra db's.
Post #: 11
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/19/2007 3:55:07 AM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

-Edit- Good news that you got it going. These instructions stay relevant to anyone having this sort of problems.
Howdy Bernie,

There are a variety of variables to check here but they all involve using the H3 configuration tool, the H3 Launcher. You can find this in the Extras folder under the Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare folder in the start menu.

The first thing you'll want to do is uncheck the 'Close Launcher after Starting Harpoon 3' option. Then try the following options:

Under the Launch H3 MP tab:
Enable the 'Skip Intro' option
Enable the 'Trap Error' option
Disable the 'Activate VCR' option
Disable the 'Autosave' option

Under the Video And Sound options tab:
Enable 'Run in Window Mode'
Select a standard resolution such as 1024X768
Disable 'Show Videos'
Set Sound to 'No Sound'

If you've tried disabling sound then the most likely cause is an incompatible video setting so I would start there. Try different resolutions but also disable the intro. This has been the 'killer' feature a few times before.

Let me know if this helps you get going.

You're the second person to mention a setting on the video tab for running in window mode, yet I still don't see it, and it's not shown on the images in the wiki that VCDH linked to. Or are my eyes going too, along with the hearing, memory and... uh...

What, me worry?

(in reply to rsharp@advancedgamin)
Post #: 12
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/19/2007 7:49:24 AM   
jpkoester1

quote:

You're the second person to mention a setting on the video tab for running in window mode, yet I still don't see it, and it's not shown on the images in the wiki that VCDH linked to. Or are my eyes going too, along with the hearing, memory and... uh...

That setting is new in the 3.8 beta patch. In 3.7 versions the run-in-window option was handled through an .opt file. In later versions a setting in the .ini file was added and the Launcher was changed accordingly.

Cheers,
JP

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 13
RE: Lockups when starting - 4/19/2007 3:58:21 PM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpkoester1

quote:

That setting is new in the 3.8 beta patch. In 3.7 versions the run-in-window option was handled through an .opt file. In later versions a setting in the .ini file was added and the Launcher was changed accordingly.

Cheers,
JP

Ah, that explains why I didn't see it there. Given the problems I was having, trying a beta didn't seem like a good idea.

(in reply to jpkoester1)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Lockups when starting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI