Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

StuG ammo load

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Modding >> StuG ammo load Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
StuG ammo load - 4/19/2007 5:55:59 PM   
Dreaded88

Yes, the published specs always said a StuG can carry 44 rounds of ammo. This has always been followed in CC, including RR and CoI, with a load of 32 HE, 8 HEAT, and 4 smoke.

However, according to James Lucus in "War on the Eastern Front" they would load up with up to 120 rounds by stacking extra rounds on the floor, etc. This would cause extra engine strain and burn more fuel, but given the odds on the Eastern front facing repeated wave attacks with only 44 rounds would have been suicidal. Additionally, the 7.5 cm L/24 seemed to have performed better than the data specs would have you believe. Stug III ausf B through E could sometimes get first round kills against T34's, and the StuGs consistently racked up more kills of Soviet armor than Panzers.

This will be key to the GD mod update since StuGs will be the only armor available through 1942. I'm not sure exactly what to set the ammo load to, but it will probably be changed to something like 40 AP, 40 HE, 4 smoke as a compromise and the 7.5 L/24's AP capabilities will be increased somewhat. Playing the mod, I'd usually get halfway through a battle before my StuGs would run out of ammo... it's interesting to see the reality was the same, and how crews adapted!

Post #: 1
RE: StuG ammo load - 4/19/2007 10:14:05 PM   
GS_Schimpf

Good point! But try to find a compromise between reports (sometimes overrated) and technical data (not always perfect). I always liked the GD mod, so I'm looking forward to seeing your tweaks and changes ingame.

(in reply to Dreaded88)
Post #: 2
RE: StuG ammo load - 4/20/2007 6:13:13 PM   
Dreaded88

Very true, I am taking the published interviews with a grain of salt.

Overall this will be a pretty big revamp of the mod, with improved historical accuracy, gameplay, and visual effects. If you liked the GD mod, you will probably like this one even better! Soon I'll start up a new thread with a list of changes and some previews. 

(in reply to GS_Schimpf)
Post #: 3
RE: StuG ammo load - 4/20/2007 6:49:51 PM   
Marc von Martial

Looking forward to that mod Dreaded !

The Stugs were always my favourites.

(in reply to Dreaded88)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Modding >> StuG ammo load Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI