Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers Sunk?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Carriers Sunk? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers Sunk? - 5/4/2007 4:32:48 AM   
kverdon

Has the CAW project been sunk? It seems a bit adrift at the least. The Dev Diary has not been updated in over a month and Matrix has been pretty silent about in this forum. Was really looking forward this title but it seems to be down by the bow and listing...
Post #: 1
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/4/2007 4:54:16 AM   
Rocko911

I agree, there was talk a couple months ago in the dev diary about the finishing up the manual and now nothing. Also they had put resources supposedly into this game when they finished up the other game they were working on back in Feb 07.

(in reply to kverdon)
Post #: 2
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/4/2007 6:09:32 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: kverdon

Has the CAW project been sunk? It seems a bit adrift at the least. The Dev Diary has not been updated in over a month and Matrix has been pretty silent about in this forum. Was really looking forward this title but it seems to be down by the bow and listing...

Look, this is a fight we just can't win. If we provide info on the game then people get excited and want it yesterday, see all previous posts on this topic for confirmation of this. If we don't say anything for a while, in an effort to avoid premature enthusiasm, then it seems people conclude that it has somehow evaporated.

So, just to confirm, Carriers at War is going very well, you can expect some reliable information soon, but I can't provide forecasts until I have some degree of certainty.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to kverdon)
Post #: 3
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/4/2007 8:18:20 AM   
kverdon

So, just to confirm, Carriers at War is going very well, you can expect some reliable information soon, but I can't provide forecasts until I have some degree of certainty.

Gregor,

This is really all anyone wants to hear that the project is moving forwards.  Just a little update every once and a while goes along way to keep the lot of us happy   I'm happy as long as "when" is still in the works.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 4
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/4/2007 3:13:24 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

Gregor,

This is really all anyone wants to hear that the project is moving forwards.  Just a little update every once and a while goes along way to keep the lot of us happy   I'm happy as long as "when" is still in the works.

Matrix has a bad habit of going dead quiet for long periods of time, leaving us to find our own answers in a vacuum. Case in point; the latest UV upodate, v 2.5, followed by 3 months of absolute silence.

It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to post a "we're still here" update, and it also makes good business sense to check your own forums to get a sense of what your customers are thinking.

< Message edited by Joe D. -- 5/4/2007 3:14:48 PM >

(in reply to kverdon)
Post #: 5
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/4/2007 10:12:03 PM   
jimi3

I agree 100%. A little information goes along way. It doesn't have to be a full blown update, just a status. Another case in point was Black Powder Wars. No updates or information (I do understand the designer was busy), then all of a sudden the game takes a bullet and it's gone. Sad thing is, it is still listed in the Coming Soon section. Love the games, just want to know what to look forward to and what won't happen.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 6
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/4/2007 11:46:45 PM   
FAdmiral

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gregor_SSG

quote:

Look, this is a fight we just can't win. If we provide info on the game then people get excited and want it yesterday, see all previous posts on this topic for confirmation of this. If we don't say anything for a while, in an effort to avoid premature enthusiasm, then it seems people conclude that it has somehow evaporated.

Gregor

And if the game is released too early and has many bugs, the people jump all over
the developer and say its no good....can't win that one either !!!

JIM

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 7
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/5/2007 1:41:20 AM   
CptHowdy

updating once a month isnt a game to win or lose, no one asked for a release date, we learned our lesson when everyone was thinking christmas! everyone wants the best possible game released no matter what the date is. if you cant update your dev blog then pop on the forums and say "hey we are still here and working hard". if that was done then you wouldnt get a thread like this to begin with. is there a lack of communication with the game released prior to this one? i hope not because then it would mean we have established a pattern.

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 8
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/5/2007 4:12:44 AM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral

And if the game is released too early and has many bugs, the people jump all over
the developer and say its no good....can't win that one either !!!

JIM

This is the kind of post that is forgotten when a game is released after taking a long time and still needs serious patching.

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 9
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/5/2007 4:19:15 AM   
Rocko911

The fact is the Dev Diary , was dead for 2 months straight. I mean if anything it should be updated on a weekly basis. I mean if you are really still working on it then things should be getting done every week.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 10
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/5/2007 4:51:46 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: LRRP

The fact is the Dev Diary , was dead for 2 months straight. I mean if anything it should be updated on a weekly basis. I mean if you are really still working on it then things should be getting done every week.

You're right, but Alex has just been working too hard on the game to update it. I should have realised that people might look at their experience with other games and transfer it to SSG.

For the record, I can remember only one piece of SSG vaporware, which was 'Road to Appomattox' a strategic level Civil War game. From memory, this was derailed by the original Battlefront, and never got back on track.

Everything else, (I think), has eventually emerged, though I have to say that our record on meeting forecast delivery dates is only about industry standard.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to Rocko911)
Post #: 11
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/5/2007 7:07:43 PM   
Rocko911

Gregor,
I agree with your following the industry standard. The key thing to remember is that potential customers may use limited resources (cash) and buy another game if they feel the CAW is not progressing or is dead. It is just smart business when you have a potential customer base that has shown interest in the products dev. to keep them informed so they may hold off on purchasing something from someone else. With so many good war games being produced in the last 2 years it is becoming an exciting time to be a computer war game fan and a little difficult to be a developer with alot of competition.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 12
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/5/2007 10:39:03 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

Gregor

You can't both have your cake and eat it; You announce the game during its development and well in advance of its release -- w/the deliberate intention of providing "premature" enthusiam -- and then complain about the "are we there yet" types. This reminds me of celebrities who complain bitterly about being pestered by papparazzi, but then seek them out when ever they have a new film due for release.

You just can't have it both ways.

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 13
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/6/2007 12:46:40 AM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

Gregor

You can't both have your cake and eat it; You announce the game during its development and well in advance of its release -- w/the deliberate intention of providing "premature" enthusiam -- and then complain about the "are we there yet" types. This reminds me of celebrities who complain bitterly about being pestered by papparazzi, but then seek them out when ever they have a new film due for release.

You just can't have it both ways.

Amen!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 14
RE: Carriers Sunk? - 5/6/2007 5:27:00 AM   
freeboy

SSG is the game developer, matrix the distributer. SSG makes damb fine products but is a small house, trust them this will be a winner.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Carriers Sunk? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI