Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

frustrating...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> frustrating... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
frustrating... - 5/19/2007 12:48:39 AM   
thegipper

I'm new to simmed-text games. I could't believe a game of this kind could be so much fun... but I'm afraid I'm losing interest. I thought one of the advantages of playing this kind of game is that you make decisions but your players are the ones executing for you, and no matter how good you get at this game, you are going to end up losing games like in real life. After 32 games -I've played them all- my team has the best record 24-8. I don't know why but I keep winning very easily. My knowlege of the game is pretty basic and my team is quite average. Any ideas?

< Message edited by thegipper -- 5/19/2007 12:49:27 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: frustrating... - 5/19/2007 3:46:38 AM   
dneely

You have been on a hot streak and pretty lucky so far. It won't last!

DNeely

PureSim Vet

(in reply to thegipper)
Post #: 2
RE: frustrating... - 5/19/2007 11:04:01 AM   
thegipper

Thanks dneely. I hope you are right. I was so happy now that I was enjoying a baseball game again...

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 3
RE: frustrating... - 5/19/2007 7:10:42 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

gipper, another thing to keep in mind is that you may do well, very well this first season, but the luck doesn't always last. In one of the associations that I manage game-by-game, which is on it's 7th season, We made it to the World Series and won the first year. We made it to the World Series and lost the second year. The third year we made it to our Division's CS and almost made it but fell short. Since then we've been on a downward spiral, coming in 2nd the year after that, then 3rd twice, and it looks too close to call this year-- without divine intervention, we're going to come in 3rd or 4th, it's hard to tell; we're 7.5 games behind and there's 20 games to go.

The point is, like any REAL team, you can have a good year, and in fact you can have MANY good years, but there will be that time where the bottom will fall out and you find yourself struggling with aging vets, unproven and inconsistent rookies and more injuries than a bar-room brawl. Worse, a team that no matter what you do, is always that much better than you, scoring just one more run and getting that one important out.

That's just how the game goes.

Play 7 or 8 seasons of the game and THEN tell us if it's too easy.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to thegipper)
Post #: 4
RE: frustrating... - 5/19/2007 7:17:22 PM   
thegipper

I really appreciate it. Thanks for your time and advice. I'll be patience and keep it in mind.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 5
RE: frustrating... - 5/19/2007 9:29:14 PM   
ezpkns34

on a smaller scale, every time I start a new game, I always start off 7-0 or 7-1 and then have my offense turn anemic for the next couple of games and go on a losing streak

(in reply to thegipper)
Post #: 6
RE: frustrating... - 5/19/2007 11:17:00 PM   
thegipper

That's exactly what happened to me. I started winning, went on and losiing streak but now I just keep winning. It gets to a point where I'm almost rooting for the CPU so the games turn more challenging.

(in reply to ezpkns34)
Post #: 7
RE: frustrating... - 5/20/2007 1:37:05 AM   
KG Erwin

Yes, my first year resulted in a World Series win, and so far in my second season I'm leading the NL handily. This is definitely a long-term project, so I expect the balance of power to eventually shift as my players age and I start to bring up the boys from the farm system. Even the Yankees couldn't win it all EVERY year, so no dynasty can last forever.

Frankly, man, I say enjoy winning while you can. Do you really wanna suffer thru a losing season as an everyday manager? Hell, if a losing streak goes more than two or three games, I start to question my mental acumen as well as my team's ability. That's a complex I'd rather live without.

There's more, though, as I see these real players' faces and suffer with them when they are struggling, and wanna celebrate with them when they are on a hot streak.

The immersion level is extremely rewarding, at least to me. That's why I keep my ongoing narrative.

It borders on obsessiveness, and that's why I mentioned on another thread how one can get addicted to winning. That's just me -- I enjoy beating up on the AI teams. I don't get bored at all -- it just feeds my addiction.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/20/2007 1:46:49 AM >

(in reply to thegipper)
Post #: 8
RE: frustrating... - 5/20/2007 1:53:39 AM   
33sherman

The draft AI has definitely improved, meaning it's much less likely that top-tier players will be available with the last pick anymore. So unless you take advantage of the trading AI to stockpile players even good teams go through rebuilding periods.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: frustrating... - 5/20/2007 2:06:04 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: 33sherman

The draft AI has definitely improved, meaning it's much less likely that top-tier players will be available with the last pick anymore. So unless you take advantage of the trading AI to stockpile players even good teams go through rebuilding periods.

That's exactly right. I've got a couple of promising kids in the minors, but I won't be able to shuffle quality players into the lineup wholesale. Trading and rebuilding will eventually become necessary.

(in reply to 33sherman)
Post #: 10
RE: frustrating... - 5/20/2007 8:07:11 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

KG I know what you mean. I'm reaching that point where my team is approaching it's obligatory "rebuilding phase". Like you, I have a couple of promising position players and one outstanding pitcher in the farm leagues, but they can't carry the entire team on their backs.

We're going to start losing a lot of games soon, and it may be a year or two or three before we turn things around.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> frustrating... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI