Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 6/6/2007 6:07:54 AM   
Don Bowen

First rule when weird graphics shows up is to reboot.

If that fails, or problems continue intermittently, defrag your hard drive.

I've never seen these fail to correct the problem.

(in reply to Fokkov2)
Post #: 31
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 7/20/2007 9:34:57 PM   
Hagen von Tronje

I'm having a very similar problem, but none of the suggestions worked for me (i.e. rebooting, running the game in windowed mode, and reinstalling). Since I tried both my downloaded version AND my physical game (CD), and I got the same results both in the unpatched (1.50) and both patched versions (1804 and 1806), I am at my wits end.

Over here it is just more severe than for the original poster, not only do I not have any background in the windows, I do not even have a map. The only thing I see are the unit counters. The game runs fine, it's just that it's not really playable due to the screen getting cluttered up quickly. The problems continue once I end the game and get back to the starting menu.

Any suggestions?!

I am running Windows 2000 SP4, and I think I got enough RAM with 1.5GB DDR2.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 32
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 7/21/2007 10:41:53 AM   
Oliver Heindorf

Graka ? Have you access to another graka and have you updates DirectX and the Cards drivers ?

(in reply to Hagen von Tronje)
Post #: 33
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 7/21/2007 10:32:27 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hagen von Tronje

I'm having a very similar problem, but none of the suggestions worked for me (i.e. rebooting, running the game in windowed mode, and reinstalling). Since I tried both my downloaded version AND my physical game (CD), and I got the same results both in the unpatched (1.50) and both patched versions (1804 and 1806), I am at my wits end.

Over here it is just more severe than for the original poster, not only do I not have any background in the windows, I do not even have a map. The only thing I see are the unit counters. The game runs fine, it's just that it's not really playable due to the screen getting cluttered up quickly. The problems continue once I end the game and get back to the starting menu.

Any suggestions?!

I am running Windows 2000 SP4, and I think I got enough RAM with 1.5GB DDR2.

Have you defragged your hard drive?

Post #: 34
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 7/22/2007 11:10:39 AM   
Hagen von Tronje

Just defragged my harddrive and ran the game in full screen mode - it seems to work somewhat better now. It happens again every now and then, but it goes away once I restart. Am gonna test it with another graphics card as soon as possible, drivers for mine are the latest, as is DirectX.

I'm quite happy the way it works now, though - at least it's playable. Thanx for the input.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 35
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 5/5/2008 11:11:13 AM   
Hagen von Tronje

... and the problem reappeared again. This time after installing RHS. I re-installed the game already twice. That only fixes the problem temporarily, since it appears again after a few days of playing. The installation works fine even after I apply patch 1.806. It also works fine initially after installing RHS (with the 1.4 installer). However, after some time, I experience a lot of weird errors, mostly related to graphics.

This is what happens: Most of the time, the map becomes garbled outside certain boundaries (usually south and east of a certain line on the map). This happens mostly after I open some base info window, and the map looks fine when I have a look around immeditately after starting a new game. Rebooting alleviates the problem, until I open a base info window. When I close the game, the windows desktop shows up garbles, too, untuil it resets to normal after a few seconds.

Have tried reinstalling as mentioned. Taking care to remove every trace of the program before reinstalling, too. Have also re-downloaded patches and the RHS installer.

I have the latest drivers for my graphics adapter, and have the latest directX installed.

I have tried running the game in all compatibility layers (am running Windows 2000 SP4), and even windowed. Windowed it is even worse, since the map doesn't show up at all, and the icons are just shown against the loading screen background.

Game does not freeze, as I can pan around the 'map'.

Any suggestions?

Post #: 36
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 5/5/2008 1:50:41 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hagen von Tronje

... and the problem reappeared again. This time after installing RHS. I re-installed the game already twice. That only fixes the problem temporarily, since it appears again after a few days of playing. The installation works fine even after I apply patch 1.806. It also works fine initially after installing RHS (with the 1.4 installer). However, after some time, I experience a lot of weird errors, mostly related to graphics.

This is what happens: Most of the time, the map becomes garbled outside certain boundaries (usually south and east of a certain line on the map). This happens mostly after I open some base info window, and the map looks fine when I have a look around immeditately after starting a new game. Rebooting alleviates the problem, until I open a base info window. When I close the game, the windows desktop shows up garbles, too, untuil it resets to normal after a few seconds.

Have tried reinstalling as mentioned. Taking care to remove every trace of the program before reinstalling, too. Have also re-downloaded patches and the RHS installer.

I have the latest drivers for my graphics adapter, and have the latest directX installed.

I have tried running the game in all compatibility layers (am running Windows 2000 SP4), and even windowed. Windowed it is even worse, since the map doesn't show up at all, and the icons are just shown against the loading screen background.

Game does not freeze, as I can pan around the 'map'.

Any suggestions?

A few suggestions (not sure which ones you are currently instituting...)

Defrag HD again - always run the game from a reboot (to clear out memory) - load the game immediately after reboot and make sure you are not running any memory intensive programs in the background (or at the same time).

This sounds like maybe some sort of memory management problem is contributing... anything you can do to increase effective memory size would be helpful (such as increasing the size of your virtual memory/swap file size - this might help get rid of the problem.)

Post #: 37
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 5/6/2008 2:02:44 AM   
Gem35

Not to be a bad guy, but I wonder why folks who mod the game or use modded files and run into problems seem surprised by it.
If you alter the original game the first thing you should think about is "did I install the modded files correctly?"
Common sense can take us a long way in life folks.
I really hope your problem gets resolved, I really truly do.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 38
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 5/6/2008 9:47:44 AM   
Hagen von Tronje

After spending the better part of the night I think I can shed some light on these weird kinds of problems (maybe not only for me, but for others, too). The problem completely disappeared after I stopped using AVG AntiVirus. It was not enough to shut down the program, but I had to uninstall it (probably would have been enough to cut it our of autostart). Since then, it runs just fine. If this thing happens again, I will report back.

Strange, though, that the problem only reappeared when I installed RHS, and the stock game played just fine.

Well, that wouldn't be the first game to be affected by AVG in my book.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 39
RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! - 5/6/2008 1:54:15 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Strange, though, that the problem only reappeared when I installed RHS, and the stock game played just fine.

Very strange... i think... but then again, maybe RHS is stranger than i imagined.

Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI