Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General strategy help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> General strategy help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General strategy help - 6/9/2007 7:24:47 PM   
TerryV06

I purchased this game, read the manual and went thru the included recon tutorial. These basically showed me how to use the game system, but really no strategy help. Can someone point me in the right direction on this. I need to understand the basics on how far to move units, where to try to place them, where to attack from, how best to recon etc..

Terry
Post #: 1
RE: General strategy help - 6/9/2007 8:00:33 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: TerryV6

I purchased this game, read the manual and went thru the included recon tutorial. These basically showed me how to use the game system, but really no strategy help. Can someone point me in the right direction on this. I need to understand the basics on how far to move units, where to try to place them, where to attack from, how best to recon etc..

Terry

You can take a look at this forum:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/campaign-series/

There are a number of posts that go over some general tactics and strategies.

Jason Petho

(in reply to TerryV06)
Post #: 2
RE: General strategy help - 6/9/2007 9:42:47 PM   
big dawg

Hello TerryV6

Jason & I are members at The Blitz club. (Feel free to join!!)

This is a link to a AAR of the EFII scenario "The Battle IS Joined" where UMBRO played GARNI in a Top Gun Tournament.

Umbro wrote a wonderful AAR that explains how the battle turned out. It is one of the best AAR I have seen. You might like to read it.

http://www.theblitz.org/game_action/after_action_reports.php?id=87

I hope this helps. Jack

(in reply to TerryV06)
Post #: 3
RE: General strategy help - 6/10/2007 2:49:40 AM   
Krec

he game boils down to a basic tactic.

1) Disrupt
2) Surround
3) Assault / Capture

the player that is best at this wins

the main trick in the whole thing is disrupting all units in the hex before surrounding and capture. if 1 unit is not disrupted it could mess the whole thing up. also the game is best played live . emial is ok if you play with someone you trust ie. not taking moves over again otherwise play live its the only way imo.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to TerryV06)
Post #: 4
RE: General strategy help - 6/15/2007 9:18:39 AM   
B/snafu

Have been playing & familar with mr.tiller's later games which he made after he left talonsoft. Altough those are on a differen't scale (operational) instead of tactical?? with "campaigns", from screenies I've noticed alot of similarities.

for someone being familar with the later endeavors but never touching this game --is this game similar in controlling and easy to jump in to? (ie very small learning curve before actually immersing into)

"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 5
RE: General strategy help - 6/15/2007 1:49:25 PM   
big dawg

B/ snafu,

I have played this game since the 1st one (EF) came out around 1997.  I played against the AI and had huge success.  I was turned on to PBEM (play by email) by a coworker and eventually joined The Blitz war game club.  I have had so much fun & the game is so much better against a human.  It is 10 times harder.  There are great guys who will give newbies as much coaching as needed.  You can always find an opponent.  Good luck!

< Message edited by big dawg -- 6/15/2007 1:50:55 PM >

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 6
RE: General strategy help - 6/15/2007 11:53:58 PM   
Krec

Big Dawg is correct,  many players at the blitz,  find the guys you like to play with and have fun.  the game is very easy to learn but can be diff  against good players.  some scen just cant be won against exp. players as they have played them so many time they know the best area to move.  with that being said there are also many scen that can be won from either side .  the blitz has a scen rating system that you can look at to see a scen w/l  ratio .   that can be very helpful in picking well balanced scen.   or if you lucky maybe a vet will take a challenge and give you the stronger force and try and beat you .  i prefer this game to tillers own ,   its more tactical imo and i am glad to see they have added more units .  should be good ,   have fun

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 7
RE: General strategy help - 6/16/2007 9:56:36 AM   
B/snafu

Tks guys,
Actually been lurking over there for awhile checking the cm & Pzc forums on a regular basis--gotta another one now to add to my browsing--seems like the place to be whenever my time constraints ease up a little and I finally take the pbem step. Just got this--due to ui similarities I was able to jump right in on some of the beginning scenarios (won a few although I was missing out on alot of the features). Time to hit the manual. From first looks --think I'm really going to enjoy this.

"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 8
RE: General strategy help - 6/19/2007 10:51:29 AM   
B/snafu

Well--this game has ate up all my free time since I d/l it and the missus is not too happy w/me. I now see what all the "fuss" with this game was about. Easy too jump into after reading the manual once although Iv'e learned a few noob lessons.
First scenario tried was dortmund. Even though I read about the vunerbility of transports I guess it didn't register with me that motorcycles were the same. Use to playing at the "operational" level and sending out krad battalions ranging far and wide as scouts. Even if they ran into hidden units, they would get disrupted and take some losses but were rarely destroyed due to the size of the unit and the time length of the turn (I guess simulating dismounting and so on). Found out I can't use them the same in CS "platoon tactical" level. I had quite a few motorcycle platoons completely wiped out with empty unmoveable motorcycles sitting on the map as my vanguard. Haven't encountered the issue of "1 AT-guns" but I have noticed I have to adjust my play due to their (my percieved) weakness in this game. Don't take much too wipe these suckers out. Did I overlook something or are they capable of digging in for better defensive bonus?
Currently in the fall of france dnc--Is it me or does it seem that in between missions the pic of Rundstedt is "screaming" congragulations at you?

I might of missed it being talked about here but are the scenarios that can be found at the blitz and other places for CS compatible with matrix version? If so, I assume it is as simple as unzipping them into the scen file of the respective folder?

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 9
RE: General strategy help - 6/19/2007 2:07:01 PM   
big dawg

You can dig in by clicking on the infantry unit (if it has 100% of the points remaining) and the shovel icon at the bottom of the page.  I believe it reduces damage by .25%.  They will still take damage.  Also they do not inflict full damage if the shoot while digging in.  (Hard to shoot w/ a shovel in your hand & hit your target.)

I believe the scenarios have to be converted for matrix play before they work.

Once you disrupt a unit try to cut off the escape and assault it.

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 10
RE: General strategy help - 6/20/2007 3:57:56 AM   
B/snafu

Thks big dawg,
I got the mechanics pretty much down pat now except my methods of using light recon units. Playing the market garden campaign--and my damiler armored vehicles keep getting wiped as I move foreward even just one hex at a time--they run into a hidden infantry and bam--burnt out hulks on the map--guess I need to start leading cautiously with the harder units out front.
Anyone else lose their recon elements as fast as I do?? Do people who don't lose them use them actually in their intended role as screens?

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 11
RE: General strategy help - 6/22/2007 2:34:00 AM   
Krec

yes............recon can be tough in this game,   recon vehicles take a beating ,    if and i mean if i have time i use them i take the long way around or to spot vast areas of los.   if they are leading the way it may hurt you also because as they are destroyed they cause wrecks in the hex.  wrecks counts as units in the hex and a hex can only hold so much.  when the hex reaches max number its cost 65 just to move into and that may be a big problem.   so be careful with them .   sometimes it pays to lose them other times its a waste.   i have actually seen the wrecks in a hex tactic to block a major ave used to great effect.  ie:    say a road hex for instance is the only easy way into a area.  a player may decide to die in that hex and the wrecks start piling up there untill it becomes a major barrier to get into.  thats the part of the game that gets tricky,   do i kill that tank now in the road hex making it harder for me to pass later or wait .   then of course nothing is for certain here either.    This little things are what keep players coming back for more.  i cant tell you how many times the scenario goes right down to the last .....and i mean last turn.    its great.    i know i got a bit of topic but thats how these tactical conversations go.  the best way to learn is keep at it and try different things. 

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 12
RE: General strategy help - 6/22/2007 3:25:47 PM   
B/snafu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krec

yes............recon can be tough in this game,   recon vehicles take a beating ,  ......................... This little things are what keep players coming back for more.  i cant tell you how many times the scenario goes right down to the last .....and i mean last turn.    its great......... ..........best way to learn is keep at it and try different things. 

How true! Especially due to the time limits in this game, It can go anyway up to the end even against the A.I. (at least for this noob)

With the market garden linked cg --I have an over abundance of light recon (or as I'm starting to call them--the larva stage of burnt out wrecks) After three missions, finally working out a system of "cost reduction". I use a few starting out as sacrificial lambs to draw fire with heavier armor close behind to take out the newly exposed enemy units. After I get a general sense of where the things that can really hurt me are at on the map, I send the rest to the flanks as screens and then to mop up disrupted units retreating in the open. But what works for one scenario might not work for the next. Like you said That's what makes this game great

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 13
RE: General strategy help - 6/24/2007 4:53:53 PM   
british exil

Been playing the game for a while. Used the wrecks to block sight of enemy. Didn't realize that i could deny the hex by piling on the wrecks. Will try the tactic out next game.
Cheers

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 14
RE: General strategy help - 6/24/2007 7:40:37 PM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

You can dig in by clicking on the infantry unit (if it has 100% of the points remaining) and the shovel icon at the bottom of the page.  I believe it reduces damage by .25%.  They will still take damage.  Also they do not inflict full damage if the shoot while digging in.  (Hard to shoot w/ a shovel in your hand & hit your target.)

I believe the scenarios have to be converted for matrix play before they work.

Once you disrupt a unit try to cut off the escape and assault it.

I take it you mean to load and save using the editor provided with the Matrix version correct?

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 15
RE: General strategy help - 6/25/2007 4:59:37 AM   
Krec

you cant deny the hex , but you can make it very exspensive 65mp to move into.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> General strategy help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI