Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT - World War II Magazine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT - World War II Magazine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT - World War II Magazine - 6/14/2007 12:57:19 PM   
wdolson

A few months back, someone posted a link here to a series of articles about the miracle rebuilding of Pearl Harbor that were blocked by censors during the war and did not get published until a few months ago.

I just noticed that World War II magazine's July/August issue has an article on the same subject with a bunch of never before published photos. A number of them show the massive rebuilding effort of the West Virginia.

I don't know if it's available outside the US, but it's probably on the newstands now in the US. I have a subscription, so I don't have to seek it out. I have seen it at places like Barnes and Noble and Borders though.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Post #: 1
RE: OT - World War II Magazine - 6/14/2007 1:46:44 PM   
m10bob

I too subscribe, and enjoy the new format.
The magazine accepts stories and articles by outside writers, many either WW2 vets, or their children.
One thing that bothers me, (probably seen as a minor thing), is the common referance to "Bull" Halsey, a name which annoyed him, and was created by the press..
His friends called him Bill.
The pics this month on the Pearl Harbor damage and rebuilding are both remarkable and tragic to behold.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 2
RE: OT - World War II Magazine - 6/14/2007 2:56:32 PM   
Feinder

[rant]

I've been a subscriber to "WW 2 History" magazine for almost 15 years.  And have enjoyed almost every issue.  However, I was disappointed in the January & February issues.  I thought some of the articles were litterally a bit too graphic (particulary the one about the US Airman in the Swiss PoW camp).

Don't get me wrong.  I thing those accounts need to be told, and in all their graphic detail, so as to preserve what actually -did- happen.  However, in my opinion, I consider "WW2 History" magazine to be "history lite".  Certainly more than the History Channel.  But frankly I don't -want- to read about some of the graphic details that were given in some of the recent articles when reading my WW2 History magazine.  If I want the graphic details, I'll pick up a book on PoW camps in WW2, where I would expect to read that. 

But when I read WW2 History magazine, it's usually in my "library" (aka bathroom), or on the couch while my wife watches some show about home designers and my two-year-old looking over my shoulder asking me about the airplanes and ships.  I don't think the articles should have to be rated-G (altho I do read some of them to him).  But a few of the articles of late were certainly R-rated (and I don't think I could post the details in this PG-13 formum).  I remember sitting with my dad, and reading his old field manuals and the identification sillouttes, and all -his- military magazines and books.  It was this interest in reading "WW2 lite" that got me further interested in history, and wargaming.  MOST of the articles are just fine.  I enjoyed battle summaries of Leyte Gulf and Battle of Buin etc.  I wouldn't have any problem with my son reading that when he was say 10-years-old.  But wouldn't want him reading some of the aforementioned articles at 10, due to their graphic nature.

It's just like I don't expect to see commercials with graphic violence during "Little Einsteins" (my kids enjoy it).  Is there a place for graphic violence?  Sure.  I love to watch CSI as much as anyone, where they show the guy get hacked from the right, and then the boyscout says, "but he was left-handed!" and they show the victim get hacked from the left, and the Grissiom says, "But it was raining!" and they show him get hacked up in the rain.  Blood-n-gore is fine.  But there is an appropriate forum for it.

I dunno.  I'm not sure if I'm making my point.  I think that the graphic horrors of (any) war need to preserved, if anything to remind us what we're getting into the next time.  I think there are plenty of mediums to portray those horrors.  But my -expectation- when reading "WW2 History" magazine, is that it is -NOT- one of those mediums.  Maybe the new staff is deliberatly trying to change that (they changed editing staff at the new year), and maybe may the new "more in your face" type articles will be norm.  I dunno (altho this months articles thus far have been quite good, and not R-rated).

And while I'm on my soap-box, I'm also disappointed with the "softer gentler view" in their recent portrayals of the personal lives of Hitler, Himmler and some of the other "bad-guys".  These were EVIL men, purposefully bent and responsible for the slaughter of millions.  Whatever.

-F-
[/rant]

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: OT - World War II Magazine - 6/14/2007 10:19:34 PM   
wdolson

There are two different magainzes, World War II and World War II History. I subscribe to the former, though I have picked up a few copies of the latter. They are similar in content and format.

I think you're talking about the same magazine I am, since I recall the Swiss POW story too. It was a tough read and pretty graphic.

The stories are aimed for a more general audience than a scholarly journal would be, but they still have many interesting articles. The magazine has educated me about things that happened in the corners of the war that I was unaware of.

They changed editors about six months ago and the format and content have changed a bit. I'm not sure I like the current design as well, but it is a little thicker.

I'm a couple of months behind. I often read them in the "reading library". My father, who also subscribes says that the article on the B-29 crew POWs was too tough to read. Probably a bit too close to his own imagaination during the war when he flew over Japanese territory.

Bill

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
RE: OT - World War II Magazine - 6/15/2007 2:04:46 AM   
m10bob

The old format was kinda like Newsweek, the new more like Life magazine

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: OT - World War II Magazine - 6/15/2007 5:37:23 PM   
qgaliana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

[rant]
And while I'm on my soap-box, I'm also disappointed with the "softer gentler view" in their recent portrayals of the personal lives of Hitler, Himmler and some of the other "bad-guys".  These were EVIL men, purposefully bent and responsible for the slaughter of millions.  Whatever.
[/rant]

I actually think these sort of studies are important. Plenty of seriously deranged and dangerous people keep coming into positions of power and it's important for people to realise they can be very charming or seem kind hearted when it suits them. With correct context it increases the creep factor beyond a one-dimensional caricature of an evil man. I mean sure, Hitler loved his dog and was really kind to it - up to the day he poisoned it.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 6
RE: OT - World War II Magazine - 6/16/2007 3:50:51 AM   
wdolson

I completely agree.  Only by knowing what these types people are like in real life can we avoid having to deal with them again.

Completely corrupt and evil people who don't know how to charm people never get anywhere.  The truly dangerous monsters are the ones who seem to be nice people with your best intreests at heart and can talk up a good line.  They will charm you right up to the minute they stick a knife in your back.

Bill

(in reply to qgaliana)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT - World War II Magazine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI