Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need help editing save

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Need help editing save Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help editing save - 6/15/2007 1:11:42 AM   
Mr. Yuck

Playing as the Union I am not getting any VP for cities I capture. This is not a gamebreaking bug for me but what is, is that I have a CSA gunboat in Cairo that won't leave or die. My army there is getting no supply, can't change weapons, etcetera.

In Norfolk, where a CSA ship was left after I captured the city, I am not having the same problem.

Is there a way to go into the save and delete these two units? And how about adjusting my VP?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Need help editing save - 6/15/2007 1:19:05 AM   
Gil R.

Mr. Yuck,
Were you the one previously complaining about the gunboats in Cairo, or was that someone else? If you were, did you send the save files to ericbabe@west-civ.com? And if you weren't, could you please do so, so that he'll have another example of this?

Eric will have to explain whether the files can be edited -- never done that myself.

(in reply to Mr. Yuck)
Post #: 2
RE: Need help editing save - 6/15/2007 1:35:13 AM   
dude

I was one of the ones that did... my thread comment is still in the Beta area.  I got around it by finding the gunboat in the save and changing the area it's in to a CSA area.  The real trick is finding the area value in the save game file.  Let me go back to my file and see if I can get some info to help you edit it...

be back shortly....

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Need help editing save - 6/15/2007 1:56:29 AM   
dude

Here are the steps to move a Gunboat in the save file: (read it all before doing anything…)

1) First make sure there’s nothing else in the province (at least no other gunboats of yours) there (it’s easier that way)

2) Find the Province ID number in the AcwProvince.txt file in the data folder (for Cairo this happens to be 199 Central_Miss._R. If you need someplace else you’ll need to look it up (I had to move another GB from St. Louis too.) You’ll also need to find the value of someplace to move them too. I moved them to 207 (Miss._R._Natchez), though I had a problem with them later when I took that province.. but I didn’t really care then about the production from that spot… so I left them. You can pick someplace else.

3) Open the save file [the file with .sve] (make a back up copy first just in case.) with a text editor (yes the file type is not txt but it is still just a text file.. just make sure when you save it later it still has the .sve extension.

4) Search the file for the value of the province (199 for Cairo)… this may take a few tries until you find the right value… now how do you know that you have the right value?… you’ll find the value near a line that says Gunboat and there will be two values …. See this screen shot:

5) replace the number you found (in the screenshot there are two 199’s for Gunboat [My_Gunboat]… edit BOTH numbers. I suspect one is the current location and the other the move to? But anyways I edited both and it worked) Substitute the number for the province you want to move too. I changed both values to 207.

6) Save the file, run the game, and see if they’ve moved (they did for me.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dude -- 6/15/2007 1:57:48 AM >

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 4
RE: Need help editing save - 6/15/2007 2:00:40 AM   
dude

for the record I tried to delete the gunboat and I was unable to figure out where the record began and end and the game kept crashing.  Editing it's location was safer... i continued playing with no other problems other than the one mentioned above ... once I moved them and then later took the province I moved them too they still would not die or leave...

I probably should have moved them too an empty river province that had no city... but I moved them to Natchez hoping the CSA would fix them and then I could kill them later... no luck... they were still unsinkable.

Good luck... let me know if it works for you too.

Dude

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 5
RE: Need help editing save - 6/15/2007 2:03:32 AM   
Mr. Yuck

Thanks Dude for the illustrated tutorial and Gil, I will get the save to Eric.

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Need help editing save Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI