Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Theatre options question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Theatre options question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Theatre options question - 6/21/2007 10:21:13 PM   
Bravo Romeo

I've just started playing "The next war -79 tension" as the Warsaw pact. The scenario starts with a cease-fire, which may be broken by a theatre option ("begin hostilities"). Problem is, the theatre option comes into play the next turn. This means, in effect, that the enemy gets the first turn when attacks are allowed. In this case the NATO PO attacks across the board for an entire turn before I get a chance. More realistic would be if I chose to begin hostilities and within the same turn would be allowed to attack and move into enemy territory. After all, the side opening hostilities should also be the first side to make "surprise attacks" (which may not be the case in this particular scenario, though). The Warsaw pact side, being the aggressor, should naturally be moving and attacking first after breaking the cease-fire. So my question is: is there any way to make theatre options come into play within the same turn they are activated? Maybe I'm way off here, please help me if I got it all backwards. Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Theatre options question - 6/21/2007 10:56:08 PM   
Veers

If you are player 1, then you activate the TO and it does not break the cease fire until turn 2 begins, at which point you should still be player 1 and get first strike.
Unless the scenario is designed with NATO as P1.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Bravo Romeo)
Post #: 2
RE: Theatre options question - 6/21/2007 11:07:42 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

If you are player 1, then you activate the TO and it does not break the cease fire until turn 2 begins, at which point you should still be player 1 and get first strike.

It might be variable initiative kicking in.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 3
RE: Theatre options question - 6/21/2007 11:10:03 PM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

Ahh, right.
Hey, why was that changed for hotseat, but nott PO play?

< Message edited by Veers -- 6/21/2007 11:14:10 PM >

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Theatre options question - 6/21/2007 11:31:46 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh, right.

So that designers could run tests without worrying about variable initiative screwing up timing for games that were primarily intended for PBEM.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 5
RE: Theatre options question - 6/22/2007 12:26:59 AM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh, right.

So that designers could run tests without worrying about variable initiative screwing up timing for games that were primarily intended for PBEM.

Oh, I knew that. I was just wondering why it wasn't also applied to playing the PO.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 6
RE: Theatre options question - 6/22/2007 12:30:19 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh, right.

Oh, I knew that. I was just wondering why it wasn't also applied to playing the PO.

Because some of us (namely ME) like the variable initiative. You should be thankful that Ralph's been too busy to allow me to talk him into applying it to PBEM games, too...

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 7
RE: Theatre options question - 6/22/2007 12:32:44 AM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh, right.

Because some of us (namely ME) like the variable initiative. You should be thankful that Ralph's been too busy to allow me to talk him into applying it to PBEM games, too...

*starts thanking his lucky stars*
Although, I do remember you haveing some interesting and good ideas about variable initiative a while back.

< Message edited by Veers -- 6/22/2007 12:33:39 AM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 8
RE: Theatre options question - 6/23/2007 12:07:53 AM   
Bravo Romeo

Ok. The thing is, the PO opens fire within the same turn. Variable initiative is a good feature, have no problems with that. However, in turn 2, being player one, I begin hostilities by a theatre option, and in the NATO turn 2 (ie the same turn) he starts attacking me. What I'm trying to say is that I would like to be able to attack first in turn 3, not have the NATO PO running into my positions the same turn I've activated the TO. You might argue that there was no such thing as surprise in a potential WWIII (as Tom Clancy suggests in Red storm rising), but anyway, applying this to other scenarios it would be preferable to have the ability to attack first if you activate a "break cease fire" TO. Still, I might be doing something wrong here, so if you could verify the PO behaviour in this or another similar scenario I would be happy. Thanks for the comments so far!

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 9
RE: Theatre options question - 6/23/2007 12:11:50 AM   
Veers

Which scenario is it?
Never mind. I'll do some testing tonight and see if I can help.

(in reply to Bravo Romeo)
Post #: 10
RE: Theatre options question - 6/23/2007 12:31:58 AM   
Bravo Romeo

It's "The next war 1979 - tension". I've been doing some testing on my own and it actually might be what you're saying - I'm the "victim" of variable initiative. If I activate "begin hostilities" in turn 1 without moving a single unit, the NATO PO still gets the first move in turn 2. The manual says that the initiative level of a force is partly randomized but strongly influenced by the average movement allowance of all friendly units. This would work in my favor if not moving any friendly units at all, right?

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Theatre options question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI