Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hard copy or download?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Hard copy or download? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hard copy or download? - 6/23/2007 6:56:05 AM   
przy06

I know there is an option to do both at the same price as just the hard copy. But I was wondering, is the printed manual worth it to add the expense of an extra 15 to 20 dollars. (for me you have to figure in tax as well as shipping, I live in Minnesota, so unfortunately we get taxed with the online purchase) Any opinions? Thanks

Previous poster under account przy
Member since 5/16/2000
Post #: 1
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/23/2007 7:32:51 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Currently the printed manual needs revision as there are many changes incorporated in the updates. There is some talk that they might be doing a revised updated manual, but currently, I believe, if you order now, you will get the original manual. Now if you just have to have something to hold in your hand to read, the original manual is okay and is 90% correct in the rule explanations. Most of the revisions and changes are in the data associated with some of the Appendix information.
Myself, I don't mind PDF manuals because they are more easily "searched" for specific information. They (WCS) of course, issue an updated "Readme.pdf" each time they update the game.

So I guess it boils down to how badly you want a printed manual. I don't have one, but from what I've heard it is done up rather nicely.

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to przy06)
Post #: 2
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/23/2007 3:50:58 PM   
Ironclad

You can have the best of both worlds by getting the pdf version and printing it yourself. I use a cheap and simple printer, although it does take a few (low cost) cartridges plus some time to print out a FOF length colour manual. I have the published manual too but prefer using my A4 sized version (which includes all the appendices). It also means you can choose to print out any revisions.

I would add that the printed manual is a fine one and all credit to Matrix for now supplying them with the cased versions for those who want it.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 6/23/2007 4:00:50 PM >

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 3
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/23/2007 7:19:55 PM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ironclad

You can have the best of both worlds by getting the pdf version and printing it yourself. I use a cheap and simple printer, although it does take a few (low cost) cartridges plus some time to print out a FOF length colour manual. I have the published manual too but prefer using my A4 sized version (which includes all the appendices). It also means you can choose to print out any revisions.

I would add that the printed manual is a fine one and all credit to Matrix for now supplying them with the cased versions for those who want it.

re:PDF manuals

That's kind of the approach I've taken to them. A cheap Lexmark printer now prints better quality than the old Hp Desktops. I've gotten to the point where I prefer them now over printed manuals, (easier to search), with the exception that the smaller printed manuals were sometimes nicer to take to work for breaktime reading. I thought originally that PDF manuals would be updated more by the developers, but that has not turned out to be the case, which has been rather disappointing, and editing a PDF document directly doesn't work. I finally went out and got Adobe Acrobat Professional, so I can at least reproduce similar looking pages to replace those pages in manuals that have really obvious errors.

slightly OT:
Adobe Acrobat Professional however does not generally allow you to directly edit the final PDF document, so that was rather frustrating to find out after I had purchased it. However, it does place direct hooks into MS Word and MS Excel for automatic conversion of their format into PDF documents, which really streamlines the conversion of those types of documents.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/23/2007 7:20:14 PM >

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 4
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/23/2007 8:25:46 PM   
Yogi the Great

Once again, you might want to check out NWS-online for cost including the manual

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

Post #: 5
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/23/2007 9:04:20 PM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Once again, you might want to check out NWS-online for cost including the manual

Yes, I have noticed that NWS offers some really decent competitive prices. I'm thinking of using them for other games that are not downloadable.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 6
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/24/2007 6:06:40 AM   
cesteman

I forget, where are the patch notes so I can add them to my manual. Tried looking but can't find them. Thanks.

Post #: 7
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/24/2007 6:31:59 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: cesteman

I forget, where are the patch notes so I can add them to my manual. Tried looking but can't find them. Thanks.

Hopefully a picture is worth a thousand words...

Hope this helps,

It's in the main Forge of Freedom folder called "Readme.pdf" There might also be a link in the menu selection called "Readme", though I'm not sure if I created the "Readme" link in my folder myself.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 6/24/2007 6:35:07 AM >

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 8
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/25/2007 8:21:42 AM   
cesteman

Thanks for the info!!!

Post #: 9
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/29/2007 11:10:48 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 10
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/30/2007 8:31:15 AM   
SittingDuck

If it's the real deal, I have no issue with it.  My thanks for the mention of another resource.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 11
RE: Hard copy or download? - 6/30/2007 5:30:33 PM   
przy06

Well, I ordered the hard copy. Just could not turn down a 200 page manual. I ended up going thru NWS-online. Sorry Matrix, but with taxes and shipping, it would have cost me almost 20 bucks more. So as much as I would have liked to download and start playing now while I wait for my copy, with how much I saved, I can wait a few more days, I think.

Previous poster under account przy
Member since 5/16/2000

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Hard copy or download? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI