Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario - 7/1/2007 12:35:55 AM   
cesteman

Has anyone noticed while playing Southern steel that there are 19 Arsenals in Connecticut? Seems strange to me!
Post #: 1
RE: Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario - 7/1/2007 8:12:41 AM   
Gil R.

Connecticut was a major manufacturing center during the Civil War, so the high number of arsenals reflects that.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 7/1/2007 8:14:20 AM >

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 2
RE: Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario - 7/1/2007 2:43:23 PM   
Callahan

According to Wikipedia, Connecticut was called the "arsenal of democracy":

"Middletown, Connecticut was the major supplier of pistols to the United States government during the War of 1812, with numerous gun manufacturers in the area. In 1810, Oliver Bidwell built the first pistol factory in the United States on the Pameacha River in Middletown, winning a contract with the United States War Department for handmade pistols.
Also in 1810, Colonel Simeon North built a pistol factory in Middletown on the West River, now the Coginchaug River, also winning a contract from the United States Secretary of War, which led to enlarging his factory to 8,500 square feet (790 m²); he built about 10,000 pistols a year, up until just before the Civil War, designing America's first milling machine. Even more successful was Colonel Nathan Starr Jr., whose factory (built of stone quarried from the river) was about the same size as North's, and located across the river half a mile northeast. Starr initially manufactured swords, about 5,000 a year; including presentation swords for the state of Tennessee and War of 1812 heroes, colonel Richard M. Johnson, General Edmond P. Gaines, and General Andrew Jackson.
The factory later manufactured muskets and rifles until 1845, after which the United States government started government armories in Massachusetts and West Virginia partially modeled after Starr's. In 1812, John R. Johnson and J. D. Johnson built a factory, also on the Pameacha River, which was to sell rifles to the government until 1825. After this period, firearm manufacturing declined in Middletown, but briefly revived during the Civil War. The Savage Revolving Fire Arm Company manufactured pistols between 1859 and 1866, and the Sage Ammunition Works manufactured ammunition between 1864 and 1867.
In 1836, Samuel Colt invented the revolver design which continues to be used to this day. Colt's Manufacturing Company hired Elisha K. Root to modernize production, making Colt weapons the first in the world with truly interchangeable parts. Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson designed the first repeating rifle in Norwich in the early 1850s, which went into production by the New Haven Arms Company (which later became the Winchester Repeating Arms Company), and, just across the border in Massachusetts, the Springfield Armory. Smith also patented a metallic rifle cartridge in 1854. Christian Sharps designed the Sharps breech-loading rifle which in 1854 began to be manufactured in Hartford by the Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Company. Christopher Spencer designed the Spencer repeating rifle which played an important role for Union troops at the Battle of Gettysburg."

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario - 7/1/2007 4:31:30 PM   
ericbabe

I know Mr Z -- who did the research into this sort of thing -- based his arsenal numbers on some 1860 manufacturing numbers he had found, but I'm not sure off hand what his sources were for these.

(in reply to Callahan)
Post #: 4
RE: Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario - 7/1/2007 9:25:27 PM   
cesteman

Thanks for the info. Makes sense now!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Arsenals in Southern Steel scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI