Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

You don't know J2M

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> You don't know J2M Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
You don't know J2M - 7/3/2007 12:51:13 AM   
Q-Ball

In Big-B's Mod, I noticed the availability for the J2M-Jack is WAY further back than stock; Stock is 3/43 I beleive, and Big-B is 2 or 3/44. Is that a correct adjustment?

Looking up history, it seems Big-B is right, and Stock is wrong; it wasn't really available until early '44.

If that's the case, why bother, why not just build George if you want an interceptor and be done with it? As a side note, George has such high max Alt, it would probably make a good Kamikaze, better than Jack.

Anyone out there know Jack?
Post #: 1
RE: You don't know J2M - 7/3/2007 1:23:42 AM   
rtrapasso

According to Francillon:
J2M1 prototype flew 20 March 1942

It was accepted for production October 1942 but due to teeting problems by March 1943 only 14 aircraft had been produced (including prototypes).

The aircraft suffered some more problems (the tail-wheel when retracted could cause the aircraft to go into an uncontrolled dive!! ) This wasn't discovered until July 1943.

After that, production slowly ramped up, but only 141 aircraft produced in fiscal year 1943-1944 (to March 1944).

A new model J2M3 started to be produced around that time... and it supplanted the earlier models.

Total AC
3 J2M1 prototypes
155 J2M2 production a/c
260 J2M3 production a/c
21 J2M3a production a/c
2 J2M4 prototypes
34 J2M5 production a/c
1 J2M6 production a/c

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2
RE: You don't know J2M - 7/3/2007 2:52:17 AM   
Vetamur

One of the other problems apparently in it its development is that it kept getting shifted to the back burner, then the front, the back..depending on the war situation and how the Zero was doing. (The Zero had the same chief designer).

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: You don't know J2M - 7/3/2007 4:21:39 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

According to Francillon:
J2M1 prototype flew 20 March 1942

It was accepted for production October 1942 but due to teeting problems by March 1943 only 14 aircraft had been produced (including prototypes).

The aircraft suffered some more problems (the tail-wheel when retracted could cause the aircraft to go into an uncontrolled dive!! ) This wasn't discovered until July 1943. After that, production slowly ramped up, but only 141 aircraft produced in fiscal year 1943-1944 (to March 1944).

Nice example of the point I made in another post. There is a huge difference between "flying the prototype" and actually "putting a combat-ready version into frontline service". Wish the designers had ignored "first flights" and paid more attention to "first put into squadron service".

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4
RE: You don't know J2M - 7/3/2007 4:38:20 AM   
dtravel

quote:

The aircraft suffered some more problems (the tail-wheel when retracted could cause the aircraft to go into an uncontrolled dive!! )

In a strange way, that's an impressive engineering achievement all on its own.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: You don't know J2M - 7/3/2007 4:45:43 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

The aircraft suffered some more problems (the tail-wheel when retracted could cause the aircraft to go into an uncontrolled dive!! )

When the tail wheel went up, it could cause the tailwheel struts to press on the controls to the tail (ailerons) causing the dive...

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 6
RE: You don't know J2M - 7/3/2007 10:21:51 AM   
dtravel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

quote:

When the tail wheel went up, it could cause the tailwheel struts to press on the controls to the tail (ailerons) causing the dive...

I figured something like that. But its neater to just leave it at "Retracting the tail-wheel sends the plane in to an uncontrolled dive!!".

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> You don't know J2M Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI