Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Excellent job on the manual

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Excellent job on the manual Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Excellent job on the manual - 7/3/2007 6:02:32 PM   
Moebius

Just wanted to say that I received the physical version with manual and DVD case. I'm really impressed! Nice job on the manual and it is great to have the sharp looking DVD case on my game shelf. Can't wait until I get the same treatment for TOAW 3.

It is wonderful to have these games available again.
Post #: 1
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/3/2007 8:39:52 PM   
HansBolter

I agree that the manual was well done with the exception of the deletion of the hot key list from the back cover. There is still a reference inside the manual to see the back cover for the hot key list, which is not there. The lack of a comprehensive hot key list is the only crtiticism I have. Otherwise....kudos!

(in reply to Moebius)
Post #: 2
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/3/2007 10:54:01 PM   
1925frank

My only criticism of the manual was the size of the hex and hexside demos.  I thought they were too small.  When learning the game, I found those invaluable.  They are important for defense and morale, and they affect whether the units are seen by the enemy.  If I were learning the game now, I'd have difficulty with those small pictures of the hexes and hexsides.  Then again, I'm older, and my eyesight hasn't improved. 

Are there any plans for something more elaborate, like a "Campaign Series Encyclopedia"?  A competitor has offered support books that I've purchased and enjoyed.  The old Talonsoft website had unit logs and charts you could download and print.  There are numerous references to articles at various postings on the Internet.  I still prefer to read out of a book.  Even with the manual, people have questions.  In other contexts, I've seen rules with annotations or comments discussing the practical aspects and applications of the rules.  For the amount of work that would go into a "Campaign Series Encyclopedia," there'd have to be a fairly large demand to make it worthwhile.   

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/3/2007 10:59:34 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

My only criticism of the manual was the size of the hex and hexside demos.  I thought they were too small.  When learning the game, I found those invaluable.  They are important for defense and morale, and they affect whether the units are seen by the enemy.  If I were learning the game now, I'd have difficulty with those small pictures of the hexes and hexsides.  Then again, I'm older, and my eyesight hasn't improved. 

Are there any plans for something more elaborate, like a "Campaign Series Encyclopedia"?  A competitor has offered support books that I've purchased and enjoyed.  The old Talonsoft website had unit logs and charts you could download and print.  There are numerous references to articles at various postings on the Internet.  I still prefer to read out of a book.  Even with the manual, people have questions.  In other contexts, I've seen rules with annotations or comments discussing the practical aspects and applications of the rules.  For the amount of work that would go into a "Campaign Series Encyclopedia," there'd have to be a fairly large demand to make it worthwhile.   

Actually, yes. I have already started on such a beast and is something I am tinkering with in my free time (HA!). Eventually I'll release it as an 8.5 x 11inch bound document. Of course an undertaking like this will take awhile.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 4
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/3/2007 11:25:34 PM   
1925frank

A daytime job.  The Matrix job.  Aren't you running a farm too?  The real acid test, however, is whether you're trying to do all this with kids in the house.  That would truly be impressive.

Count me in.  8 and one-half by 11 is perfect.  It's got to be big enough to stumble over in the middle of the night. 

In the meantime, we're all still anxiously but patiently awaiting patch 1.02.  Because you're from Canada, I'm guessing you won't be celebrating the 4th.  I'm starting to sound like my kids.  Always plotting on how they can best spend someone else's time and energy.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/3/2007 11:34:36 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

A daytime job.  The Matrix job.  Aren't you running a farm too?  The real acid test, however, is whether you're trying to do all this with kids in the house.  That would truly be impressive.

A daytime job, a home business in the evenings, Campaign Series in the evenings, various forums to provide support when I can...

Good thing the better half is understanding!

quote:

Count me in.  8 and one-half by 11 is perfect.  It's got to be big enough to stumble over in the middle of the night. 

Excellent, excellent. Figured it would be big enough to see details and provide decent screenshots.

quote:

In the meantime, we're all still anxiously but patiently awaiting patch 1.02.  Because you're from Canada, I'm guessing you won't be celebrating the 4th.  I'm starting to sound like my kids.  Always plotting on how they can best spend someone else's time and energy.

You are correct, instead we celebrated Canada's birthday on July 1st. We had Monday off as a holiday.

Hope you enjoy your weekend!

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 6
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/4/2007 1:05:42 AM   
Geomitrak

Jason, a suggestion for this definitive manual / encyclopedia: don't have bound but sell it in loose-leaf A5 size, with holes punched so they will go into an A5 ring binder. That way, you can issue replacement pages that cover patches, and pages that cover future developments. It will be cheaper for you to produce, will allow updates and will allow people to add their own pages of notes and tactics. Also, A5 size will allow people to have it open beside the keyboard without taking up too much space.

Post #: 7
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/4/2007 1:58:33 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Geomitrak

Jason, a suggestion for this definitive manual / encyclopedia: don't have bound but sell it in loose-leaf A5 size, with holes punched so they will go into an A5 ring binder. That way, you can issue replacement pages that cover patches, and pages that cover future developments. It will be cheaper for you to produce, will allow updates and will allow people to add their own pages of notes and tactics. Also, A5 size will allow people to have it open beside the keyboard without taking up too much space.

Ah, interesting idea! Thanks!!

Jason Petho

(in reply to Geomitrak)
Post #: 8
RE: Excellent job on the manual - 7/4/2007 3:48:34 AM   
CJMello63

We threw that idea around in the early days of the PzC.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Excellent job on the manual Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI