Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Southern Strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> RE: Southern Strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Southern Strategy - 4/24/2009 12:19:11 AM   
vaalen

I'm just starting to get into this game, and this post is realy helpful.

One vital question - Does this apply to the standard scenario, which starts in November?

Or does this apply to one of the others, and if so, which one?

(in reply to Valdemar)
Post #: 61
RE: Southern Strategy - 2/4/2010 11:28:24 PM   
charlesonmission_slith

What difficulty level do you play on?

Charles

(in reply to michaelincolorado)
Post #: 62
RE: Southern Strategy - 5/22/2010 9:22:44 AM   
gunny3013

I notice that when the ability to use Impressment is included in a game that the South either becomes as large as or larger in strength than the north. Nothing could be more unrealistic.

< Message edited by gunny3013 -- 5/22/2010 9:24:06 AM >

(in reply to michaelincolorado)
Post #: 63
RE: Southern Strategy - 5/24/2010 3:46:47 AM   
gunny3013

I thought I’d place a strategy in this forum based on the many games I have played as the Union. I prefer the Union forces as it allows for a greater economy, expenditures and far more choices. This strategy will include both Military pointers as well as Economic pointers as one cannot succeed without the other.

IN THE BEGINNING:

Initially, the North is producing adequate amounts of just about everything except Weapons and replacement forces. The first thing I do is to examine my cities, most populated first, looking for Camps and Armories. I then build a hospital in each border city without one, two or four per turn as resources allow. I try to build at least one camp in each city starting with the largest cities and working my way down. At the same time as I’m building Camps I build Armories in cities without them, until they are completed. Oddly enough, the two ventures do not compete for resources so it works out real well. I build only one armory per city first, because you must move on to other things as well and second, because the upgrade doubling weapon production is usually a fairly early option and is more than sufficient to handle all your needs. Remember don’t try to produce everything in one year.

The beginning Yankee military strategy is not easy and will be your toughest time of the entire war. Make it beyond 1861 however and things start looking up. Meanwhile defend, defend, defend. Let the Rebs attack you on a blue province and avoid attacking red provinces with reb forces nearby. The confederate leadership is good enough that one defending reb division can suddenly turn into four as nearby units heed the rebel yell and join the fight against you. Level one and two forts cost you in maintenance expenses every turn but level 3 do not. So in vital boarder cities, (Cairo comes to mind) Build a level three fort, but beware, Rebel forces are attracted to a fort under construction like crack cocaine, so man the city defenses well or lose the fort to the enemy. There is nothing worse than building a fort only to helplessly watch as rebel forces occupy it. Look to your divisions, and fill them with five infantry units each. Give divisions close to danger areas weapons first, as best types as you can afford. The better the range of your weapons, the better your defense will be. There are two enhancement options for each unit that are far more important than you can imagine. Place one of each type of enhancement in your infantry units as the entire division will benefit from each. Use Army containers to house divisions low on weapons or manpower for added protection and to place siege artillery and artillery units. Strip Union northern rear area garrisons and accumulate them along boarder and danger area cities and forts. Delete forts of less than level three value to save maintenance costs each turn. Don’t forget the two off the coast of Florida. DO NOT build massive armies and over bearing forces or you will go broke, instead wait until you capture or turn enemy states to expand your forces keeping pace with the new economies as you go beginning with Kentucky. Quality first, quantity as expansion occurs. I demote all my “crappy” generals on the first turn. I know I take a severe point hit but I defend better when Grant or Sherman are four star generals etc… I never promote a general who’s four attributes are not 100% positive.

The US Navy is another matter altogether and like your land loving brethren, the fleet should only expand alongside progress of the economy by the conversion of neutral and southern states. Initially I modify the Yankee fleets to two frigates and one ship per fleet container. I place the fleet containers to blockade each southern port beginning with Norfolk and working my way south. My goal is to catch those pesky blockade runners as they attempt to run along the east coast and my results have been better than expected.

IN THE HEAT OF THE WAR:

The main concerns I usually have with my economy after the initial builds is building a Telegraph line in each city with a camp and Border cities with towers.  The telegraph lines SPEED replacement forces from your camps to your units real swift like and towers allow a better view of hostile areas in detailed combat. After that I look into Rail line increases and whatever I may need at the time. ALWAYS see to the needs of your governors so as to aide in support and a swifter amount of technology benefits.

The Union forces by now should be looking to offensives in area’s that are being ignored by the rebs. Look to rail lines and rivers as you will need to maintain supply levels. Rivers are your best asset and by attacking along them, using your five gunboats, you can be very effective at drawing attention away from other areas as needed. Use the rebel weaknesses against him such as attacks in weak area’s followed by attacks in the newly vacated area’s caused by the first attack kind of like Yankee ping pong using rebel units as the ping pong ball. Try to avoid sieges without gun boats or siege artillery and keep those units from harm in the corps or army containers moving them up only when the area is secure. Cavalry will be needed because in detailed combat you can be saved with them hanging around. Try to avoid using them in battle instead placing them in reserve or on your flanks to ward off enemy cavalry or delay a flanking surprise until you can properly react. Keep Indian forces in Indian territory to deal with rebel converted Indian units.

Once the Union technology for a reduced priced ironclad is gained include one ironclad in each of your fleet containers. This will give them the teeth needed to ensure the rebels never sail again if they should ever attempt to.

In summery I just wish each of you all the joy I have received from the game and remember results will vary with each game so be prepared to modify and stay flexible. I note that it is very unrealistic for the confederate forces to have the same economy or the same size forces as the union army. As a result, the Impressment and enhanced economy boxes should not be marked if you want anything close to reality.

< Message edited by gunny3013 -- 5/24/2010 3:48:12 AM >

(in reply to gunny3013)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> RE: Southern Strategy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI