Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Waypoints?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Waypoints? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 12:44:07 AM   
Historiker

I've read somewhere, that one can set waypoints for ships. How?
I've tried Shift, Alt and Strg + leftclick, but it doesn't work.
How?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Post #: 1
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 12:46:07 AM   
niceguy2005

There are no way points in this game.

You can simulate one waypoint by setting

a. destination = to the waypoint hex you want
b. home port = to a port you want to go to
c. the TF to "retire"

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 2
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 1:29:39 AM   
Historiker

That's the way, I did it already :(
But thanks...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 3
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 1:45:26 AM   
rogueusmc

That's the only way...

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 4
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 6:06:07 AM   
grumpyman

There is also some nastiness in the direction the AI will retire ships.  For example I lost a BB doing a bombardment of Buna.  The Path I had going in hugged the coast of NG and had an air umbrella over it.  My surface fleets home port was Noumea.  After the bombardment the TF retired out into the middle of the Solomon Sea out of air cover.  Every betty in range converged and pummeled my BB with torpedoes.  I learned after that to set the home port to Cairns when Bombarding on the Northern side of NG and resetting the home port to Noumea after clearing the area.  This game does seriously need waypoints.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 5
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 2:06:34 PM   
Fokkov2

Please give us waypoints

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 6
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 2:11:18 PM   
rtrapasso

Yes, well, i think they've been requested since well before even UV came out - so be sure to hold your breath!!

(in reply to Fokkov2)
Post #: 7
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 4:09:41 PM   
Historiker

I also wonder, why I can't force units without fuel to hold place on sea. I once had hidden Cruisers in the bay in north-eastern Australia, because there where carriers on both sides of the street between PN and AUS. The unit always tried to sail straight to the enemy...

Do the developers include features, that the players suggest? I.e. I really wonder why one can't convert G3N to L3Y or why there is no option "upgrade all aircraft of this type to chosen, so that I would have to select everey unit by hand...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 8
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 4:17:29 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

I also wonder, why I can't force units without fuel to hold place on sea. I once had hidden Cruisers in the bay in north-eastern Australia, because there where carriers on both sides of the street between PN and AUS. The unit always tried to sail straight to the enemy...

Do the developers include features, that the players suggest? I.e. I really wonder why one can't convert G3N to L3Y or why there is no option "upgrade all aircraft of this type to chosen, so that I would have to select everey unit by hand...

You should be able to do the first by PATROL DO NOT RETIRE.

The second you can accomplish quickly by sorting your aircraft by type, then you can quickly move down the list, not taking more than a minute or so.

We have only so many resources to use in development, and right now they are used to fix bugs, not add more features.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 4:26:02 PM   
Rafael Warsaw

No, You can not hold TFs without fuel in one place. Even with Patrol command.
Add to this really nasty way the AI is handling TFs course and You are in deep trouble.
Always keep an eye on endurance. Always.

IJArmy: 10% of Planning, 90% of Faith. BANZAI!
"A long and studied assessment of your situation, fabertong leads me to reach the unescapable conclusion that your fcuked mate. Hope this helps." by Raverdave.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 10
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 4:29:40 PM   
Rafael Warsaw

Historiker:

This game has a user hostile interface. Get used to it. Its a fact.

No simplest developements like double click or multiple selection are implemented.
Yes, You have to scroll and click many times more than in the simplest shareware arcade game.
Yes it sucks in my humble opinion,
No they are not going to change this.

IJArmy: 10% of Planning, 90% of Faith. BANZAI!
"A long and studied assessment of your situation, fabertong leads me to reach the unescapable conclusion that your fcuked mate. Hope this helps." by Raverdave.

(in reply to Rafael Warsaw)
Post #: 11
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 4:45:03 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafael Warsaw

Add to this really nasty way the AI is handling TFs course and You are in deep trouble.

Yes, you need fuel - to try to hold ships on station without fuel is... ill advised.

EDIT:
But:
i will point out that at no time did Historiker say he was trying this with a unit that was low on fuel.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 7/12/2007 6:23:15 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 6:20:36 PM   
Panther Bait

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafael Warsaw

The only thing that can help with this is to set the TF's home port as close as possible when you select Patrol-Do Not Retire, since the low fuel patrol-override is based on the distance to the home port (not necessarily the closest).

Of course this doesn't help if you are far from any friendly port or really low on fuel.

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

Post #: 13
RE: Waypoints? - 7/12/2007 10:49:25 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

The second you can accomplish quickly by sorting your aircraft by type, then you can quickly move down the list, not taking more than a minute or so.

We have only so many resources to use in development, and right now they are used to fix bugs, not add more features.

quote:

i will point out that at no time did Historiker say he was trying this with a unit that was low on fuel.

Yes, he did say that.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 14
RE: Waypoints? - 7/13/2007 5:51:07 AM   
Ian R

The other thing you can do to simulate way points is to tell a transport TF to Remain on station when it gets to the XXYY location. Then give it another XXYY location, still remaining on station.

If you forget about it for a while it will just sit there until it gets low on fuel - but the cargo vessels take a while to do that.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 15
RE: Waypoints? - 7/13/2007 8:21:33 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

It could be that his TF is reacting to enemy forces. Don't forget to set reaction range to 0 if you don't want your TF to move...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Waypoints? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI