Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry Squads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Infantry Squads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry Squads - 7/13/2007 8:08:04 PM   
engineer

I was taking a closer look at infantry squads and noted some things:

- Each load point is one soldier.
- Cavalry squads are dismounted in WPO (else the load point value would increase to about 8-10 points per trooper for mount, tack, and a ration of fodder).
- Engineer squads have higher anti-armor factors (reasonable given their access to explosives for ad-hoc anti-tank weapons).
- Elite squads and MG sections have higher soft attack factors (again reasonable for the training in the various Light Squads, Gurka's and the like).
- The Japanese tend to have pretty weak soft attack factors (about 0.8 per soldier). I don't see that the bolt action Arisaka rifle is that different than the Enfield or Springfield that equips the Anglo-American forces but both Allied armies would have lots of experienced NCO's from the Great War that Japan wouldn't have.
- The US has the BAR as an automatic squad weapon and Winchester M1897 trenchgun (a riot-gun with a bayonet lug) for close-in work. However, they appear very close to the British line troops for soft attack. (The USA was the only Great Power to routinely deploy a large number of shotguns with their infantry).
- The ANZACs are supermen. Kiwi infantry soft attack is really high and the Aussies aren't far behind. I don't understand that margin at all.
Post #: 1
RE: Infantry Squads - 7/13/2007 9:43:48 PM   
Ian R

You might want to read some Western Front history circa 1916-18.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 2
RE: Infantry Squads - 7/14/2007 2:40:17 AM   
engineer

Fair point.  This is from the official history regarding performance of the Australians in blunting one of Ludendorff's offensives in April, 1918. 
Soon afterwards, orders were received for these men to
be withdrawn. Joynt’s account and several others state that
the Australians, for whom, since Gallipoli, the 29th Division
had been an exemplar of all the military virtues, were shocked
by the depreciation in quality of its personnel, which was also
remarked upon by its own officers. It was recognised that
its men had just been through a very tough experience;
actually this regular division had been thrown into hard
fighting so many times, and had lost so heavily, that its
composition had several times changed and it was practically
a new formation. Rut to Australians it was a shock to realise
that the bearing of its troops was no longer different from
that of many other divisions; and even Joynt did not fully
appreciate the degree of strain to which it ha6 just been
subjected.

Australian Official History Volume 5, Chapter 13

This is just a sample and it clearly shows that the Australians at least saw themselves as outmatching the UK formations earlier in the war, but slumping down to parity in the meatgrinder of the trenches by 1918.  The text describing the fighting is full of examples of pluck and determination, but it's hard for me to see a 2x sort of advantage that WPO has.  

This is hardly definitive.  I'll run down some more references over the weekend and see if I can find my old copy of "Numbers, Predictions, and War" from Dupuy and see what it has to say about ANZACs.  I'll also verify the figures on a stock WPO scenario and create some .PDF's that will post so the differences are easy to see.   

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/14/2007 2:48:27 AM >

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 3
RE: Infantry Squads - 7/17/2007 3:07:46 AM   
engineer

I must have cast my copy of Numbers, Predictions, and War aside, but I kept Understanding War by Dupuy that covers a lot of the same topics.  In that book he offers Combat Effectiveness Value (CEV) as a short-hand residual factor for all the stuff that he couldn't quantify in terms of numbers of weapons, numbers of men, terrain, weather, posture, etc.  His values for WW2 combatants are:

UK = 1.00
USA = 1.11
Germany = 1.46

The very best of the German divisions were double some of the worst of the UK divisions.

Some of the factors in Dupuy's CEV like leadership, Clausewitzean friction, logistics, fatigue, experience, morale, etc. are explicitly covered by mechanics in the WPO system.  Other variables like doctrine and quality of manpower are not addressed directly in the WPO system.  Also, the WPO squad combat factors include the weapons variable that Dupuy extracts.

At the end of the day, we have a bit of an "apples and oranges" comparison, but my conclusion is that the level of difference between various regular formations in the British Empire is unlikely to be greater than between the WW2 British Army and the German Army.  This is especially the case where the squad weapons are virtually identical and many of the officers attended the same military academies.  I'm fully prepared to accept that some of the Commonwealth units are better than the average UK forces. There appears to be ample documentation of heroism and determination for the ANZAC formations in the Middle East, Western Front, and Far East in both WW1 and WW2.  However, it seems to me that variations of 40% or less are more appropriate than variations of 2x or more.   

Also note that if we reduce the fighting power of the 20+ Indian, Oz, and Kiwi divisions by 20+%, then that's the same as extracting about 4-5 divisions worth of fighting power from the Allied OOB.

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/17/2007 3:17:28 AM >

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 4
deleted - 7/17/2007 7:08:43 PM   
engineer

deleted

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/17/2007 7:16:51 PM >

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 5
delete - 7/17/2007 7:18:23 PM   
engineer

delete

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/17/2007 7:33:31 PM >

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 6
Hard Squad Values - 7/17/2007 7:34:54 PM   
engineer

Here are the WPO Squad hard attack values per the stock late scenario. I spot checked this against the early scenario and things looked the same.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/17/2007 7:53:09 PM >

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 7
Soft Squad Values - 7/17/2007 7:54:20 PM   
engineer

Here are the soft attack values for WPO squads.  Again, this is from the stock late scenario.  Spot checks on the early scenario had the same values.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 8
Discussion - 7/17/2007 8:30:58 PM   
engineer

I think these values probably exaggerate real trends, but in other cases, I just really question the validity. 

The common support troops are close to the bottom which makes sense. 

I think the 2x to 4x sort of values for some of the Commonwealth and Soviet troops don't pass a sanity test.  The Soviets got stopped at Warsaw by Poles with French aid right after WW1, making them 2x to 3x as ferocious as the major western Allies doesn't make sense to me.  My estimate is that these guys should be 20% to 30% better than their closest analogs.  For example, cutting the soft attack per load point on Aussie and Kiwi from ~2.6 to ~1.75.  For the Soviets, I would probably cut them to about 1.7 in the early scenario and down to 1.3 in the late scenario (Stalin was already getting into the Terror-Famine by the late 1920s and so the bloom was coming off the revolution).

The Japanese were surprisingly weak here.  According to Dunnigan's The Pacific War, the Japanese didn't upgrade their Arisaka battle rifle to a 7.7 mm cartridge until the outset of WW2 so in the 1920s they had a 6.5 mm cartridge with inferior range and stopping power compared to the .303, .30-06, 7.92 mm, and 7.5 mm cartridges used in the West.  I don't know that this is worth a 50% penalty.  Maybe the Japanese should bump up to about 1.0 points per load point?   

The Philipino rifle squads are used in the reserve formations and those rate better than regular US troops.  That seems a trifle high.  The Philipino Scouts had a good reputation and I'm reluctant to recommend changes there, especially since there is a slight hit on experience for those formations compared to US regulars.  After multiplying everything together they might end up as a wash against US regulars and that seems to match the historical record. 

The last point on the soft attacks is the surprising strength of the Chinese - nearly as good as the SNLF troops.  I have to think they were equipped with a standard bolt action rifle similar to a Mauser, but question here is training and recruit quality, especially in a period of civil war and warlordism.  Their experience value is low but it's not obvious how that is incorporated in the combat resolution (the manual is a bit vague on that point).  I don't have any first hand experience on how Chinese vs. Japanese ground combat plays, but I would be open to dropping this value. 

Over the hard attack side, I'm figuring that most of the anti-armor firepower at squad level is grenades in this time period.  Engineers have dynamite.  Variations from 0.2-0.5 are probably in the noise.  Combat engineers should probably be in the 0.6 to 1.0 range, but again I don't understand why the CW troops are 4x anyone else. 

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/17/2007 8:34:38 PM >

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 9
Squad Weapons - 7/18/2007 9:03:13 PM   
engineer

Squad Weapons, training (basic doctrine), and manpower quality go into the attack values for squads.  Nominally, I think we're looking at basic post-Great War training, literate fit manpower, and a bolt action ~8 mm rifle as a value of 1. 

There are variety of automatic rifles/light machine guns available in this period including the Browning BAR, Lewis gun, the French M24, and the Japanese Type 11.  Both the Browning and M24 had a box magazine, but the Type 11 had a hopper for six stripper clips like those used to recharge the Arisaka rifle.  It was a pain to reload in combat.  The British Bren wasn't designed until 1935 so the British would have WW1 surplus Lewis Guns for the squad weapon.  The Lewis had a drum magazine with 47 or 97 rounds in it.  A lot of Lewis guns were exported to Russia and retained by the Soviets until replaced by a light LMG in the late 1920s.  The USA also had a number of Lewis guns, but these were replaced by the BAR toward the end of WW1. 

Medium machine guns, typically water-cooled, were also available, but typically used as a heavy weapon outside the squad.

US forces were considering adoption of the Thompson submachinegun as early as 1923 (it was already being purchased by the US Postal Service to arm mailmen to deter mail robberies. One of my great uncles was a carrier in the 1920s and recalled routinely carrying a revolver on his rounds.)  The M1928 was the first historically acquired US SMG, but with a war going on, production orders for the M1923 and an acceleration of the cost-reduced M1928 would be inevitable.  Although the Marines liked the firepower of the Thompson from their experience in Nicaraugua, the low velocity bullet didn't have much penetration in heavy vegetation.  US forces also had the Winchester M1897 Trench gun, a 12 gage shotgun with a six round magazine.  This was very effective in close quarters, but nearly useless beyond 50 yards. 

The Chinese purchased LMGs and SMGs in the 1930s once war came.  One would presume they would do the same in the 1920s if war was on their doorstep.   

Setting aside doctrine for the moment, the weapons and the manpower are broadly similar among the great powers.  Each squad has a major caliber battle rifle (disadvantage Japan due their 6.5 mm), and a squad LMG (disadvantage Japan due to the awkward feed system on the Type 11).  The US is little ahead on SMG adoption and actually tested something that with hindsight starts to look like a step toward a modern assault rifle cartridge (the 0.45 Remington-Thompson cartridge that boasted a 1450 fps muzzle velocity instead of the ~950 fps that was typical of the .45 ACP).  The Commonwealths and the USA had a broader rural population with ready familiarity with firearms to draw upon.  Many US Marines, some UK & Indian troops, and Russians had post-Great War experience (Central America, Iraq, Afghanistan, Russo-Polish War, Russian Civil War, etc.)  The Anglosphere powers also typically had volunteer militaries. 

All stuff to noodle.  I'll probably think about this a few days and post my straw-man counter-proposals to the stock WPO figures.   

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/18/2007 9:09:24 PM >

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 10
RE: Squad Weapons - 7/21/2007 4:01:04 PM   
highblooded

Hello,

I haven't been around this forum in some time but on dropping by I felt I should make some comments.

The main problem of WPO is that it was a mod of WITP with major changes to the Warships and aircraft, little if any thought was placed on land units. The ratings of land units were carried over from WITP. The soviet squads rediculous ratings are proof of this. At this stage, soviet infantry were very poorly equipped. Also much of the Soviet Far East was still in Japanese hands(at least in the 1922 scenario).

A comment on the 6.5mm Arisaka. This much maligned cartridge does not deserve the poor capabilities attributed to it. At the time it was considered to have poor long range accuracy and penetration in relation to other nations main battle cartridges. Reality is that the other nations had overpowered cartridges, modern calibres prove this. Later in-depth studies show that most combat was within 400 yards, the bulk of combat taking place with a few hundred yards. Being able to hit an enemy out to 1000 yards was beyond most infantrymans capabilities and truly unnecessary.

The 6.5mm x 50 was one of the best cartridges of its period. It had low recoil, relatively low firing signature, very little flash and dust kickup. It was an excellent training calibre, about it's only fault would be it's poorly designed ball ammunition. Once it had been redesigned the Japanese had one of the best battle rounds produces until the arrival of the German 7.92mm Kurz ( The first truly Modern Battle round) and the 7.62mm x 39 ( noone states the Russian AK is a poor performer).

The 6.5mm was used to excellent effect in Sniper Rifles. US Infantry had a very hard time locating Japanese Snipers leading to them spraying the surrounding trees with massive MG and SMG fire.

The British even produced The Vickers MG in 6.5mm for training and Japanese use. I really can't fathom why the Japanese did not mass produce the Vickers instead of basing MG design on the very Poor combat capability of the Hotchkiss design. I can only attribute this to lack of experience in WW1 combat. It was a very poor decision not to send a Corps to the Western or Eastern Fronts. They had investigated the possibility of sending troops to the Western Front(upto 500,000 considered) and supposedly raised 50,000 voluteers for the Eastern Front but I cannot confirm any of them arriving.

The Russians also produced the first assault rifle in 6.5mm the Federov Automat of 1916. It was only produced in limited quantities(3,000) to bad the Revolution led to its demise with further refinement it could have placed Russia or Japan as the leader in 'modern' weapons technology.

Lack of Realistic Combat studies and poor weapon designers were the only real reason for the demise of the 6.5mm.

Please take this into account when redesigning your soft attack ratings( IE don't derate Japanese capabilities verses others based on calibre only)

Take care and good luck on creating your Mod since the Stock scenarios won't be updated.

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 11
RE: Squad Weapons - 7/23/2007 6:50:30 PM   
engineer

Highblooded, thanks, this is just the sort of feedback that I was looking for.  You're right about typical engagement ranges.  The NATO/Assault Rifle cartridge controversary can turn on whether you're fighting in a jungle or from ridgeline to ridgeline in Afghanistan.  Most of the critical terrain that gets fought over in WPO is short range where the disadvantages of the 6.5 mm cartridge would be minimized.  The redesigned 7.7 mm Arisaka was about a pound and half lighter than the 6.5 mm.  The infantryman's shoulder wouldn't enjoy the extra recoil (bigger cartridge + lighter gun), but lightening the kit is a good thing (all other things being equal).   

I did some extra shotgun research over the weekend.  Both Army and Marines used them and mostly liked them in WW1.  After the war, the Marines continued to use them.  The Army consigned them to the armory and for security work until WW2.  Once fighting started, the Army liked them again.  Again this is a close-quarters thing.  Feedback from WW1 users documented that their trenchguns could still disable a man at 50 yards, but were ineffective at 100 yards.  Probably the most outrageous thing I dug up was that some marksmen played a lethal game of "skeet" after fidning that they could use their trenchguns to blast or deflect German grenades in mid-flight ("Just like huntin' quail back home," as some would douibtlessly say). 

The thing to do for the US - I think - is to give them a mid-scenario upgrade to account for acquisition and integration of more high-firepower/short-range weapons - the Thompson's and trenchguns - into the TOE. 

Look for something tomorrow. 

(in reply to highblooded)
Post #: 12
Updated Squads - 7/24/2007 6:34:21 PM   
engineer

Here is a draft update on squad values.  Some observations:

1)  The range of squad soft combat power has been reduced from 6:1 (Super Soviets to Asian cavalry) to 3:1 (Gurkhas to Asian cavalry).
2)  Soft attack is normalized at 1 per load point. This represents a trained but unblooded soldier armed with a modern bolt action rifle and led by competent NCOs.  Higher firepower weapons, intense training, relatively recent combat experience, good doctrine, cultural factors like insane ferocity or high adaptability, a source culture with high levels of woodcraft or hunting, etc. may add to that.  Inept NCOs, poor doctrine, corruption, high levels of illiteracy, language issues making battlefield communication difficult, poor weapons, training at odds with actual deployment practice, etc. may lead to reduced combat power.   
3)  Infantry squads will typically have a hard attack of .3 to .5 per load point.  Engineers will typically have higher hard attack values.
4)  Typical western infantry squads with Great War institutional experience have a soft attack value of 1.3 to 1.5. 
5)  The Japanese infantry squads are typically around 1.0.  The squad LMG is poor and their army lacked the institutional experience of trench warfare in the Great War.  Their combat in Asia during the Great War was relatively meager.  They do have some old-timers from the Russo-Japanese War but combat experience has a "half-life" and that conflict was 20 years ago.
6)  There are a variety of stronger Allied squads with soft attack values above 1.5.  These typically represent elite units, engineer squads that have explosives, US formations that will receive mid-scenario upgrades as early adopters of high firepower, short range weapons like SMG's and combat shotguns, and certain cultures/institutions/nationalities that have a track record for turning out remarkably able soldiers. 
7)  Overall, the Japanese are a bit stronger, the Allies are a bit weaker, and there is less variation between the squads. 
8)  Note, the Canadian Territorials, US Volunteers, and Japanese Levees are new units unique to my Western Citadel scenario.  The Territorials and Volunteers are militia forces raised to garrison the west coast of North America.  The Levees are very poorly armed militias raised on the Ryuku Islands to defnd those from Invasion.   

Attachment (1)

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 13
RE: Updated Squads - 7/28/2007 9:46:15 PM   
Tankerace

Wow, I wish I'd commented sooner.

Reasons for the value differences of various Infantry squads (Engineer, you are spot on on many).

Reason for Japanese being lower. The Arisaka Meiji 38 is lower in firepower than the rifles used by the other nations (1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, Mosin-Nagant M1891, SMLE Mk III*) though comparable to the French Lebel. I have read that penetration values for the 6.5mm Japanese round is comparable to the U.S. .45 ACP round, decidedly inferior to the .30-06, .303 British, or 7.62x54R).

Moreso than that, however, is that Japanese infantry have no machinegun at the squad level. In fact, according to Way of the Heavenly Sword, the Japanese Army has no Machineguns lower than the regimental level. US Squads have the 1919 .30cal LMG, and 1918 BAR, and later the 1921 or 1928 Thompson SMG. British units have the .303 Lewis Gun. French units have the Chauchat, crappy as it is.

Also the reason for the British units having a higher anti soft (if it is just Kiwi it is a mistake, it should be all Commonwealth, Indian, British, Kiwi, and Aussie troops) is reflected in the higher rate of fire and higher magazine capacity of the .303 Lee Enfield Mk III*, versus the 1903 Springfield used by US troops, 1917 Enfield used by US Nat'l Guard and Filipino troops, Lebel and Berthier rifles used by French Troops, the Meiji 38 used by the Japanese troops, and the Three Line Nagant Model 1891 used by Soviet troops. Remember, it is possible to get 30 rounds a minute off in a Lee Enfield (hard, but doable) versus only 10-12 in a Mauser or Mosin designed action with 5 round capacity.

All Cavalry is assumed to be dismounted, and engineer units are assumed to be able to use explosives as ersatz antitank weapons.

< Message edited by Tankerace -- 7/28/2007 9:49:55 PM >

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 14
RE: Updated Squads - 7/28/2007 9:56:05 PM   
Tankerace

Addendum. I will admit that Soviet Infantry is a little high, that should be reduced. I am still confident with Brit infantry being twice as high as US infantry, as US troops didn't have as much experience as British troops in WWI, plus the rifles difference and tactics. At most would lower Brit troops to the mid '20s in firepower, or raise US troops to about 20 for anti soft.

Also British troops need to be raised to mid '20s aswell, it seems I missed that in testing. If 1.3 ever comes out, I'll fix it, along with other tweaks.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 15
RE: Updated Squads - 7/30/2007 7:59:49 PM   
engineer

Thanks for the source note on LMGs in Japanese organizations.  By WW2 they had the LMG's down to squad and battalion level, but that appears to have been a post-WPO innovation so the Japanese here don't get the benefit of it.  If we go back to my baseline assumption of 1.0 for a trained infantryman with a bolt action rifle it would seem that derating that a bit for the lack of combat experience is realistic. 

In looking at the cavalry, I can reach for explaination that many cavalry units had farriers and horse-holders in their doctrine so those troops weren't as effective, plus the training for mounted operations was wasted since the troops are deployed dismounted.  For the USA, it seems the cavalry was more of an elite arm (and if you look at some of Dupuy's data it would seem that the US armored units in WW2 - the original core of which traded in horses for armor just before WW2 - average a bit better than US infantry in combat effectiveness).   

On the Enfield-Arisaka-Springfield question, you've got Highblooded's anecdotes and the question of how much derating of theoretical firepower takes place on the islands and jungles of the Pacific theater.  I've fired Enfields (and Springfields and Mauser 98k's, and the Finnish knock-off of the Moisin-Nagant) so I've got an idea of the level of skill necessary to get 30 aimed shots off a minute.  I don't have the experience or the training of trying to do that when someone is shooting back, but it's got to be a lot harder.  Also, the likely battlefield and environment in WPO isn't the plains of Omdurman where a line of riflemen is dismantling a human wave attack across a desert or ridge-top to ridge-top sniping in Afghanistan.  Of course, the trump argument is logistical - an infantryman can't haul enough ammo to sustain the 30 rpm aimed fire so as a practical matter the real firepower available is much lower.  I certainly agree with you that a ten round detachable box magazine is better than a five round internal magazine, but given that the rifle is only a part of combat effectiveness the squad I wouldn't think that combat power scales exclusively on the firepower of the rifle (especially for squads that where a portion of the firepower will come from Lewis guns, BAR's, M1919 LMG, etc.) 

In stock WPO the Aussies, Kiwi's, CW, and Indians are 2x the per loadpoint soft attack for UK and Canadian troops.  Soviets are 3x the soft attack for UK.  US Army, French and Dutch are roughly at parity with the UK troops.  US Marines are intermediate between the elite Dominions and the UK.  The Japanese are at about two thirds as good as the UK troops.

Looking at little more closely at my draft recommendations, the top tier of British Empire troops (Gurkha's, Aussies, Kiwi's, Indian troops) are 1.8 to 2.0 per load point and those fellows have the British equipment and the "soft" enhancements from discipline, wood craft, tradition, etc.  The British and Canadian troops are at about 1.4 per load point and the Commonwealth troops (which I took as Burmese and Malay native infantry with British officers) at about 1.2 per load point.  US Army (pre-Thompson gun) is 1.3/point and US Marines (pre-Thompson gun) is 1.5/point.  Dutch and Filipino's line up with the CW troops.  Philippine Scouts line up with the top tier of the Imperial troops.  French line up with the British.

I would probably tweak the British up to about 1.5, tweak stock Aussie's and Kiwi's down to 1.7/1.8 (but leave the light squads up there, tweak the CW down to 1.1, and tweak the French down to 1.3.   The Japanese need to tweaked back down to 0.9 without automatic squad weapons or Great War experience. My bias is to tweak firepower down instead of up since the WITP squads would have a lot more automatic weapon firepower so we shouldn't make WPO squads significantly more lethal than WITP squads. (That said, I must admit that I haven't double-check these recommendations against my copy of WITP).

The questions that come up are how much variation to put across the British Empire for variations in quality of the manpower, local fighting traditions, and language/literacy issues with native troops as well as as the weighting for Clauswitzean "friction", training, doctrine, leadership, and weapons that goes into creating a single "soft attack" factor.  When I look at that I see room for variation across the empire, but a little less absolute nation to nation variation.  Western armies that were similarly trained and armed would have similar combat power.  One of the reasons that the Great War was so bloody and tactically inconclusive was just that similarity in doctrine and weapons. Instead of facing vastly inferior native militaries - whether Zulu, Dervish, Chinese, Egyptian, or Kazakh - Europeans and European-ized others were facing one another - and the nation to nation margins weren't great enough to give swift victory to anyone. Likewise, in WPO variations should exist, but I have a hard time understanding the basis for really the really wide stock disparities.  My recommendations compress things to a 3-1 range from Cavalry to elite and less than a 1.5:1 range between experienced western militaries. This gets us back into Dupuy's range for WW2 data of 46% difference between UK and German formations - with the understood caveat that Dupuy excluded weapons from his calculations and soft attack does include weapons.     

< Message edited by engineer -- 7/31/2007 1:40:56 AM >

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Infantry Squads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI