Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gen. Braxton Bragg

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Gen. Braxton Bragg Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/28/2007 2:36:10 AM   
wzh55

Gil, here is my first draft of Mr. Bragg's Bio: not exactly sure how long it can be or actually is, in one posting it said mas characters was 3900 and another it said 500??? Sorry to be guessing, but I think the lenth of this bio is around 3500-400 characters. Give me your critique and character count if you can and we can go from there. Thanks.

ALSO, I just noticed in the game that Bragg's homstate is listed as Louisana, according to all the research I did, he actuall was born in North Carolina, but retired after Mexican Wars, etc. to the state of Louisana. Don't know which would actually be correct. Your choice.

Gen. Braxton Bragg
(b: Warren County, North Carolina, March 22, 1817 ; d: Galveston, Texas, Sept. 27, 1876)

Bragg graduated from West Point in 1837 at the age of 20, 5th in a class of 50. He entered the army as a
second lieutenant of artillery on July 1, 1837 and fought in the Seminole Wars, 1837-1841. He served under Zachary
Taylor until 1843 during the Mexican-American War distinguishing himself during bitter street fighting at Monterey,
but it was during the battle of Buena Vista that his "prompt and fearless conduct" saved the Americans from defeat.
He is credited with repulsing a frontal attack through effective use of his artillery, then holding off an attack on
General Zachary Taylor's flank while Colonel Jefferson Davis organized a defense. From 1843 to 1845 he was
stationed at Fort Moultrie, in Charleston harbor. He was assigned garrison duty until 1855, when he declined
promotion and resigned on January 3, 1856 from the Army to become a sugar planter in Thibodeaux, Louisiana and
also serve as Commissioner of Public Works from 1859-61.

When the Civil War began, he was appointed a brigadier general in the Confederate army and was placed in
command of the Pensacola-Mobile area. It was there on April 15, 1861 that he had Lt. John Worden, who later
became the commander of the USS Monitor, placed under arrest in Pensacola, making him the first prisoner-of-war.
Within a year, he was promoted to major general and served under General Albert Sidney Johnston, commanding a
corps at the Battle of Shiloh and the Siege of Corinth. By the summer of 1862, President Davis, promoted Bragg to a
full general due to the vacancy created by the death of General Johnston at the Siege of Corinth, and he succeeded
General Beauregard as commander of the Army of the Mississippi (later renamed Army of Tennessee) in 1862,
turning what one soldier called a mob into an organized group of fighting men. Of the eight men who reached the
rank of full general in the Confederate army, he became the fifth ranking Confederate general and one of the most
controversial figures in the war. It was from this point to the war's end, that Bragg's military leadership and success
became quite dismal, although he started out well. Near summer's end in 1862, Bragg, through his wit and skill, was
successful in outflanking the Union forces in Tennessee, enabling him to invade Kentucky. However, the Union forces
defeated him at the Battle of Perryville, forcing him back into Tennessee. Next, Bragg, in late December 1862 and
early January 1863, attacked Union General William Rosecrans and his army at Stone's River, and was heavily
defeated. During 1863, Rosecrans constantly outmaneuvered the Confederates, and forced them back to the border of
Georgia. Bragg, however, inflicted a crushing defeat on his opponent at Chickamauga in September but Bragg then
made a major mistake by not following this victory up, and wasted the chance to defeat Rosecrans. Still in command
in November, Bragg suffered an embarrassing and overwhelming defeat at Missionary Ridge. On November 25, 1863,
the Rebel siege of Chattanooga ended as Union forces under Grant defeat the siege army of Bragg when Union troops
stormed up the face of Missionary Ridge without orders and sweep the Rebels from what had been thought to be an
impregnable position. Because of his mistakes, and especially as a result of Chattanooga and Chickamauga, Bragg's
popularity suffered, most of the generals under Davis urged him to relieve Bragg of command. Shortly after, Bragg
resigned his command. Even so, after 18 months and 5 major campaigns under Bragg's command, the Army of
Tennessee was still one of the most magnificent fighting units ever organized in America. During this same period,
Bragg's army suffered 26,000 fewer casualties than its Federal opponents, a remarkable record; matched only by Lee's
Army of Northern Virginia.

He was assigned to office duty in Richmond in February, 1864 under the direction of President Davis. In
November, he was given command of the Department of South Carolina and commanded his army at Wilmington in
January 1865. He also commanded his troops in the final battles against General Sherman. He accompanied President
Davis into South Carolina and into Georgia after the surrender at Appomattox.

After the war Bragg served as the superintendent of the New Orleans waterworks and later became the chief
engineer for Alabama, supervising harbor improvements at Mobile. He moved to Texas becoming a railroad inspector.

On September 27, 1876 Bragg was walking down a street with a friend in Galveston, Texas, when he suddenly
fell over dead. He is buried in Magnolia Cemetery, Mobile, Alabama.

< Message edited by wzh55 -- 7/28/2007 3:11:09 AM >

Bill Hawthorne
Post #: 1
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/28/2007 10:29:27 AM   
Gil R.

It looks good, but comes in at 4600+ characters (spaces count). So, it should lose about 600 characters or so. A few characters can be gained just by abbreviating titles like "Pres." and "Gen."

Also, this needs to be a single paragraph. And for some reason, there's a <return> at the end of each line, which is bad, since they all will need to be removed. If you can figure out a way to copy and paste that doesn't do this, I'd appreciate it.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 2
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/28/2007 12:46:07 PM   
jkBluesman

Good job and pretty fast. I have seldom read such a positive view on Bragg. What I miss in the bio are the quarrels with his officers. There were several attempts to remove Bragg from army command before the disaster at Missionary Ridge and most of the general officers did not want to serve under him (Polk, Cheatham, Hardee, D.H. Hill, Kirby Smith, Forrest, Longstreet, Cleburne). Only the support of Davis kept Bragg in his position.
As I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to stay within the limit of 3900 chracters, I recommand to shorten the part on Mexico.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 3
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/28/2007 8:51:23 PM   
Gil R.

That's a good point -- his relations with other officers is crucial to his career.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 4
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/28/2007 9:12:48 PM   
wzh55

Working on it.....be back later.

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/29/2007 1:00:01 AM   
wzh55

2nd Attempt on Mr. Bragg:

Character length: No Spaces: 2,675
With Spaces: 3,216

Let me know if okay, tried to follow everyone's suggestions. Thanks.

Gen. Braxton Bragg
(b: Warren County, North Carolina March 22, 1817; d: Galveston Texas, Sept. 27, 1876)

Graduating from West Point in 1837, Bragg entered the army as a 2nd Lieutenant of Artillery in July 1837. He fought in the Seminole Indian Wars from 1837-41 and served with distinction during the War with Mexico until 1843. During 1843-45, he was stationed at Fort Moultrie, in Charleston harbor and then was assigned garrison duty until 1855. He resigned from the Army in Jan. 1856 to become a sugar planter and serve as Commissioner of Public Works in Louisiana from 1859-61. When the war began he was appointed brigadier general and was placed in command of the Pensacola-Mobile area. He was promoted to major general and served under Gen. A.S. Johnston at Shiloh and The Siege of Corinth. In 1862, he was promoted to full general due to Gen. Johnston’s death at Corinth and later succeeded Gen. Beauregard as commander of the Army of the Mississippi (later called Army of Tennessee) in 1862. Of the 8 men who reached full general in the Confederate Army, he became the 5th ranking general and one of the most controversial figures of the war. Bragg’s military leadership and success was quite dismal, although he started out well. In 1862, he was successful in outflanking the Union forces in Tennessee, enabling him to invade Kentucky. However, he was defeated at the Battle of Perrysville and forced back into Tennessee. He then attacked at Stone’s River and was heavily defeated. During 1863, Gen. Rosecrans’ Union forces constantly outmaneuvered him and he was forced to retreat to the Georgia border. Bragg however, inflicted a crushing defeat on his opponent at Chickamauga but then made the mistake of not following up on his victory and he wasted the chance to totally defeat Rosecrans. Then he suffered an overwhelming defeat at Missionary Ridge during the Siege of Chattanooga. Because of his mistakes, his popularity suffered. Many of his subordinate generals including Polk, Longstreet, and others sent a petition to Pres. Davis urging him to relieve Bragg. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forest refused to serve under him again and told him to his face: “You have played the part of a damned scoundrel…..If you ever try to interfere with me or cross my path it will be at the peril of your life.” Shortly after, Bragg resigned his command and he was assigned to office duty in Richmond in Feb. 1864. Even so, after 18 months and 5 major campaigns under Bragg’s command, the Army of Tennessee suffered 26,000 fewer casualties than its Federal opponents, a remarkable record; matched only by Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. In Nov. 1864 he was given command of the Dept. of South Carolina. He commanded his troops in the final battles against Gen. Sherman and finally fled with his close friend, Pres. Davis, into Georgia. After the war Bragg served as the superintendent of the New Orleans waterworks and later became the chief engineer for Alabama, supervising harbor improvements at Mobile. He moved to Texas becoming a railroad inspector and on Sept. 27, 1876 he was walking down the street with a friend in Galveston when he suddenly fell over, dead. He is buried in Magnolia Cemetery, Mobile, Alabama.

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 6
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/29/2007 1:16:35 AM   
Gil R.

Yikes. Now you've overshot, and removed several hundred characters more than was needed. If there's anything you want to restore, feel free. Otherwise, I can take it from here.

One style point: if we're providing place of birth/death (which is typical for these bios) we work it into the text, rather than doing it the way you did. Your way is actually better, but with 200+ bios done one way it's too late to change.

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 7
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/29/2007 2:59:23 AM   
wzh55

3rd attemp on Mr. Bragg:

Character length: No spaces: 3310
With spaces: 3982

Try this one: I feel I'm getting close.....

Gen. Braxton Bragg
Born on March 22, 1817 in Warren County, North Carolina, Bragg graduated from West Point in 1837, 5th in his class. He entered the army as a 2nd Lieutenant of Artillery in July 1837 serving in the Seminole Indian Wars from 1837-41 and served with distinction during the Mexican War until 1843. During 1843-45, he was stationed at Fort Moultrie, in Charleston harbor and then was assigned garrison duty until 1855. Bragg had a reputation for adhering to regulations literally. While serving as company commander and quartermaster, he submitted and denied a requisition for supplies for his company 2 times. He referred the matter to the post commandant who exclaimed: “My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarreling with yourself!” He resigned from the Army in 1856 to become a sugar planter and serve as Commissioner of Public Works in Louisiana from 1859-61. When the war began he was appointed brigadier general and was placed in command of the Pensacola-Mobile area. On April 15, 1861 he had Lt. John Worden, who later became commander of the USS Monitor, placed under arrest, making him the first prisoner-of-war. Afterward he was promoted to major general and served under Gen. A.S. Johnston in the Army of the Mississippi at Shiloh and the Siege of Corinth. In 1862, he was promoted to full general due to Gen. Johnston’s death and later succeeded Gen. Beauregard as commander of the Army of the Mississippi (later called Army of Tennessee) in 1862. Of the 8 men who reached full general in the Confederate Army, he became the 5th ranking general and one of the most controversial figures of the war. Bragg’s military leadership and success was quite dismal, although he started out well. In 1862, he was successful in outflanking the Union forces in Tennessee, enabling him to invade Kentucky. However, he was defeated at the Battle of Perrysville and forced back into Tennessee. He then attacked at Stone’s River and was heavily defeated. During 1863, Gen. Rosecrans constantly outmaneuvered him and he was forced to retreat to the Georgia border. Bragg however, inflicted a crushing defeat on his opponent at Chickamauga but then made the mistake of not following up on his victory and wasted the chance to crush Rosecrans. Next he suffered an terrible defeat during the Siege of Chattanooga. Because of mistakes, his popularity suffered. Many of his subordinate generals including Polk, Longstreet, and several others met secretly and sent a petition to Pres. Davis urging him to relieve Bragg. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forest even refused to serve under him again and told him to his face: “You have played the part of a damned scoundrel…..If you ever try to interfere with me or cross my path it will be at the peril of your life.” The enlisted men were the real victims of his incompetence. He frequently used the firing squad as punishment for the smallest infractions. Said Pvt. Sam Watkins: “None of Bragg’s soldiers ever loved him. They had no faith in his ability as a general. He was looked upon as a merciless tyrant.” Shortly after, Bragg resigned his command and was assigned to office duty in Richmond in Feb. 1864. Even so, after 18 months and 5 major campaigns under Bragg’s command, the Army of Tennessee suffered 26,000 fewer casualties than its Federal opponents, a remarkable record; matched only by Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. In Nov. 1864 he was given command of the Dept. of South Carolina. He commanded troops in the final battles against Gen. Sherman and finally fled with his close friend, Pres. Davis, into Georgia. After the war Bragg served as superintendent of the New Orleans waterworks and later became the chief engineer for Alabama, supervising harbor improvements at Mobile. He moved to Texas becoming a railroad inspector and on Sept. 27, 1876 he was walking down the street with a friend in Galveston when he suddenly fell over, dead. He is buried in Mobile, Alabama.

< Message edited by wzh55 -- 7/30/2007 12:25:55 AM >

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 7/29/2007 3:12:01 AM   
Gil R.

Looks good. I guess we can leave it up for time for comments from others. (I can't edit any bios for the next few days, anyway.)

3982 is close enough, since I can always find ways to trim out 80 characters in a way that's barely noticed.

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 9
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 8/7/2007 7:46:32 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, I've copied this, and will edit it sometime soon. If any more changes are made, please let me know.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 8/10/2007 11:22:34 AM   
Gil R.

Bill, this is quite a good job overall. Note the changes I made, some of which are style/content issues that are likely to come up again. I should point out some small mistakes: Bragg commanded the Army of Mississippi, not the Army of THE Mississippi, as you originally had; the battles were “Perryville” and “Stones River” (not “Perrysville” and “Stone’s River”); and, Nathan Bedford Forrest has two r’s in his last name. So please be sure to look out for such minor details. Also, A.S. Johnston was dead by the time the Siege of Corinth began. Otherwise, there were no problems, and most of the other changes I made were to make the bio fit.

To save space, I had to cut this sentence: “During 1843-45, he was stationed at Fort Moultrie, in Charleston harbor and then was assigned garrison duty until 1855.” I also took out the names of Polk and Longstreet as petitioners against Bragg, and the fact that he was a Commissioner of Public Works before the war. And I took out this sentence – “The enlisted men were the real victims of Bragg’s incompetence” – in part because being a strict disciplinarian doesn’t necessarily show incompetence, and the stat about suffering 25,000 fewer casualties suggests something other than incompetence (at least at the tactical level). More importantly, I took out the this anecdote because it bought us more than 400 characters, and though a good story might not be true: “Bragg had a reputation for adhering to regulations literally, as shown by a possibly apocryphal anecdote: while serving as both company commander and quartermaster, he twice submitted and denied his own requisition for supplies for his company, leading him to refer the matter to the post commandant, who exclaimed, “My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarreling with yourself!”

The bio is now ready to go, and will be in the next patch. Thanks!

Gen. Braxton Bragg (b. 1817, d. 1876). Born on March 22, 1817 in Warren County, North Carolina, Bragg graduated from West Point in 1837 fifth in his class. He immediately saw action in the Second Seminole War as a 2nd Lieutenant of Artillery, and a decade later served with distinction in Mexico. Bragg resigned from the Army in 1856 to become a sugar planter in Louisiana. When the Civil War began he was appointed brigadier general and was given command of the Pensacola-Mobile area’s coastal defenses. On April 15, 1861, he arrested U.S. Navy Lt. John L. Worden, future commander of the U.S.S. “Monitor,” as he returned from a secret mission to Fort Pickens, making him the first prisoner-of-war. Bragg was promoted to major general on September 12 and given a larger command, before being reassigned to Gen. Albert S. Johnston’s Army of Mississippi. Following Johnston’s death at Shiloh on April 6, 1862, Bragg was promoted to full general – 5th-ranking of the Confederate Army’s eight full generals – and given Johnston’s army (which later was renamed the Army of Tennessee). Bragg soon became one of the most controversial figures of the war. His military leadership and record were quite dismal, though he started out well and sometimes showed tactical prowess. In 1862, Bragg successfully outflanking the Union forces in Tennessee, enabling him to invade Kentucky; however, following the Battle of Perryville on October 8 he was forced back into Tennessee. He then suffered a strategic defeat in the bloody Battle of Stones River (Murfreesboro) that winter, leaving Union Gen. William S. Rosecrans in control of central Tennessee. During 1863, Rosecrans constantly outmaneuvered Bragg, forcing him to retreat to the Georgia border. That September 18-20, however, Bragg inflicted a crushing defeat on his opponent at Chickamauga – but then made the critical mistake of not following up on his victory, wasting the chance to destroy the Army of the Cumberland. Having pursued and besieged that force in Chattanooga for two months, Bragg suffered a terrible defeat at Missionary Ridge and had to retreat into Georgia. Because of these mistakes, Bragg’s popularity suffered. More importantly, dissatisfaction with Bragg that had been brewing among his senior officers since Stones River boiled over when many of them met secretly and petitioned Pres. Jefferson Davis to relieve Bragg. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest even refused to serve under him again, telling him to his face: “You have played the part of a damned scoundrel... If you ever try to interfere with me or cross my path it will be at the peril of your life.” Whereas Davis had refused to accept Bragg’s resignation after Chickamauga, this time he accepted Bragg’s offer, reassigning him to office duty in Richmond. (Bragg was also unpopular among his men, though partly for his harsh approach to discipline, which included use of the firing squad for even the smallest infractions. Remarked Pvt. Sam Watkins, “None of Bragg’s soldiers ever loved him. They had no faith in his ability as a general. He was looked upon as a merciless tyrant.” Even so, after eighteen months and five major campaigns, the Army of Tennessee under Bragg suffered 26,000 fewer casualties than its opponents, a record matched only by Gen. Robert E. Lee.) In November 1864, Bragg was given command of the Department of South Carolina, and he commanded troops in the final battles against Gen. William T. Sherman before finally fleeing with Davis into Georgia. After the war, Bragg served as superintendent of the New Orleans waterworks and later became the chief engineer for Alabama, supervising harbor improvements at Mobile, before moving to Texas and becoming a railroad inspector. On September 27, 1876, Bragg was walking down a street in Galveston with a friend when he suddenly fell over, dead. He is buried in Mobile, Alabama. (Bio by Bill Hawthorne)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 8/10/2007 11:26:18 AM   
Gil R.

I just found this quote in my notes. Too bad there isn't room, without removing something else (e.g., the Forrest quote).

"I know Mr. Davis thinks he can do a great many things other men would hesitate to attempt. For instance, he tried to do what God failed to do. He tried to make a soldier of Braxton Bragg..." - General Joseph E. Johnston

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 8/10/2007 7:04:57 PM   
wzh55

Thanks Gil. That was my first bio and any help or suggestions are always welcome.

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: Gen. Braxton Bragg - 6/13/2008 7:10:57 AM   
Battleline

Bragg's plaque on Missionary Ridge

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Gen. Braxton Bragg Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI