Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier Trained but Arriving at Land Base

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Carrier Trained but Arriving at Land Base Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier Trained but Arriving at Land Base - 7/28/2007 9:36:03 PM   
witpqs

I've made an interesting discovery in a game begun under EOS v7.756. The 7.757 database appears the same, but I have yet to check the 7.758 files.

Two carrier squadrons arrived on land, and I later realized that they are 'Carrier Trained' (not merely 'Carrier Capable'). Here is what happened.

FAA No. 810 Sqn (slot 2159) arrived at Aden. It has a Delay of 420201, and is set to arrive on Illustrious (slot 3046). Illustrious has a Delay of 420415, and is set to arrive at Aden. It seemed that because the air group had an earlier Delay setting it arrived by itself.

However:

FAA No. 827 Sqn (slot 2168) arrived at Aden. It has a Delay of 420201, and is set to arrive on Formidable (slot 3048). Formidable has a Delay of 420201, and is set to arrive at Aden. The Delay of the air group and the carrier are the same, so why did the air group arrive on land?

Formidable also carries air groups FAA 803 (slot 2154), FAA 820 (slot 2165), FAA 888 (slot 2186). All of those air groups have a Delay of 0.

Obviously these two air group settings are errata to be fixed, but here's the bigger point.

It seems that to appear on the carrier assigned, the air group must have a Delay of 0. This does require some testing, but - I am wondering if we can use this technique to purposefully make appropriate squadrons Carrier Trained. For example, create a bogus carrier with a long Delay (such that it will never appear during a game), and assign squadrons to it but with their normal arrival dates. I know the editor will only display 4 squadrons, but I wonder how many squadrons the editor/game will allow you to assign to such a carrier? If it works, this technique could be a better solution than training carriers, because a bogus carrier would never appear on the map (a training carrier appearing on the map could be a problem in the case of Japan).

Two things:

I would hate to relay on this technique unless Matrix sanctions it. Otherwise, it just might be considered by them to be a 'bug', and get 'fixed' someday. Matrix! Are you receiving this?

Second, this technique has nothing at all to do with re-sizing, which can still take place later on when such squadrons are on board carriers during a game.
Post #: 1
RE: Carrier Trained but Arriving at Land Base - 7/28/2007 10:44:06 PM   
el cid again

If a squadron is to appear on a carrier, it should have a delay of zero. There was a lot of confusion - for sound reason - IRL FAA units are very confusing - and a lot of changes re FAA units - and it may be that squadrons changed status from time to time between stock, CHS and RHS versions. Since they are appearing at the right base - it should not be too much of a problem - but it will be less of a hassle if they appear on the right ship automatically - so these units will be date set to zero - pending whenever we update the files.

Your idea is a good one - and I am familiar enough with the way things work to have confidence in it. A variation we can use in RHS is that there are almost always carriers that won't ever appear - they are 9999ed out - and so squadrons can be set to appear with them but have a date of appearence. This technique means we can revise what I did - putting squadrons on the CVEs that have no air groups - and give them no air groups again - but still have carrier qualified squadrons appear on land as IRL. As for the number - either there is no limit at all - or it is six - and for safety I will assume the latter.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 7/28/2007 10:47:11 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Carrier Trained but Arriving at Land Base Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI