Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FAQ - Guns of August

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> FAQ - Guns of August Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 10:11:29 AM   
flintlock

I've sifted through some threads and have kept a running FAQ for Guns of August. I've taken the the liberty of editing many of the questions for brevity. I hope some find this list of some value. I'll keep it updated as future Q&As get discussed.

At the start of a turn there was a message that Belgium had surrendered. Will their army reappear?

No. If Belgium surrendered, their army won't return.

Is there a requirement for the Germans to maintain levels of forces in the east, after a Russian surrender?

effect is on the amount of activity within a turn, i.e., the number of impulses.

How does artillery become damaged, requiring refit? Sometimes I notice my artillery appears as 3D, instead of 3.

When artillery fires into a hex containing enemy artillery, it can damage that artillery. If the artillery is already damaged, it may be destroyed.

Is their any advantage to enjoying air superiority to available air support? (Aerial reconnaissance).

Air superiority is taken into account when computing the amount of air support you'll receive. So 5 air points with air superiority should usually generate more air support than 5 air points on a contested front. Aerial reconnaissance allows you to see the strength within an enemy hex.

Is there any defensive benefit to occupying rough terrain?

Yes. Within the combat display next to the word "Terrain," you'll see the modifier for terrain type.

In rough terrain, are you better off occupying a clear hex by stacking the maximum number of corps within the hex? This strategy could force my opponent to attack from a lesser capacity hex, thereby limiting his total attacking force.

That would probably be more a useful way to exploit rough terrain than the combat modifier. In the Alps especially it can be very difficult to attack in force due to the terrain constraints, not the combat modifiers.

Is there a "next" key to cycle HQ's and other units?

No.

What does the designation, S, refer to in an artillery unit counter?

That's a siege artillery unit. Very effective for attacking fixed fortifications like Liege and other fortified cities.

Can you deploy corps outside your national boundaries at the start?

No, 1914 deployment is within your own nation only.

Trenches are assigned by hex in the strategic phase. Can new units move to that hex in an impulse or strat move, and still benefit from the trench that turn?

Yes.

During an impulse or strat move, do units moving out of a hex with a trench effect the trench level in any way?

No.

If all units in a hex with trenches are forced to retreat through combat, are all the trench points lost?

No, but trenches do get destoyed by combat so they might be gone anyway.

Are trenches lost if the enemy occupies the hex after your retreat?

Yes.

I have captured some resource hexes, food in particular, but I haven't noticed a rise in food production. What requirements must be met in order to start receiving benefits of captured resources?

Capturing food does help you but it's only counted during the next Strategic Phase. Captured food hexes only count for 1/3, so you need 3 captured food hexes to add one food point to your stocks each turn.

What sea zones do the city ports of Southampton and Plymouth give access to?

Southampton is considered on the North Sea side and Plymouth on the Atlantic side.

Does the AI cheat?

The AI does not peek at your stacks. On the other hand it does have a memory of past games and if a pattern is repeating it may have a good idea of what you have. Then again the situation could look similar but the AI could be very wrong.

What are the levels of national morale?

Assuming a nation's morale was 100 to start, each subsequent level be 80, 60, 40 and 20.

Does national morale effect an army's exhaustion level?

No, exhaustion applies only to an army. Exhaustion does effect national morale, but not vice versa.

Is it possible to increase morale through the recapture of cities?

Yes.

Do units stacked within a hex along with a HQ benefit from an increase in readiness levels?

No.

Can industry be eliminated?

Yes, through combat, capture and loss of key cities.

For assault troops to benefit from their bonuses during an attack, is it necessary for the entire stack to be composed of them?

No, one per stack works fine.

Will reinforcing depleted units cause a degradation in quality?

Eventually, yes. For example, a corps unit of 24 strength will drop a level in quality once it has absorbed 48 reinforcements.

______

< Message edited by flintlock -- 9/3/2007 10:33:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 12:38:13 PM   
SiTheSly

Excellent work flintlock - hopefully it will be pinned

just a couple of comments

1) There is a typo about seige arty it should be an S not L (which means loaded)

2) Southampton is on the North Sea and Plymouth is on the Atlantic

3)You can tell the level of entrenchment when in a town by looking at an infantry counter. In a non entenched position the thrid value will be just a letter eg A and denotes the quality. If you place this unit in a town and build two entrenhments it will read 2A. Also if a town already has fortifcations eg Verdun then you can add entrenchments up to your entrenchment tech level. It took me a long time to work out you could build entrenchments in cities since the fortification level stays at 0 and I thought I was just wasting my trench points.

< Message edited by SiTheSly -- 7/29/2007 12:40:17 PM >

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 2
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 5:30:13 PM   
LarryP

FlintLock;
That's a lot of work! I am printing this out and keeping it near my PC. Thanks a bunch!

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 3
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 5:33:13 PM   
sol_invictus

Nice to know about Entrenchments in Cities. I thought it was pointless.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to SiTheSly)
Post #: 4
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 5:51:12 PM   
Hanal

Nice Work!

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 5
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 8:11:09 PM   
randell765

Great Faq,

Frank should seriously consider adding this to a faq section in the rulebook(pdf),it answers a lot of questions.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 6
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 8:13:59 PM   
randell765

quote:

If you enjoy air superiority, is there any effect beyond having more air support available?

No, the effect of air superiority is taken into account when computing the amount of air support. So 5 air points with air superiority should usually generate more air support than 5 air points on a still contested front.

This is a bit confusing, this sounds like the same sentence said a different way.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 7
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 8:31:24 PM   
flintlock

Good point, randell765. I've edited the question and answer slightly so it reads a little clearer. That'll teach me to post so late in the evening.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 8
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 9:51:20 PM   
randell765

no problem, I think this game is 1 or 2 tweaks away from perfection,but in the meantime, there really needs to be a comprehensive faqs. There are just way too many gray areas that don't seem to be covered(at least from what I have read).

< Message edited by randell765 -- 7/29/2007 9:53:19 PM >

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 9
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/29/2007 10:44:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks Flintlock, pinning this one up too!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to randell765)
Post #: 10
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/30/2007 1:02:52 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

What is the advantage of enjoying air superiority?

Air superiority is taken into account when computing the amount of air support you'll receive. So 5 air points with air superiority should usually generate more air support than 5 air points on a contested front.

This is a bit confusing, and isn't really what happens at all.

what happens is that there is no aerial combat at all until one side has tech level 2 for aircraft, os "air superiority" is kind of non-existant until then!! :)

After that your aircraft can shoot down enemy aircraft, and it is the remaining number after combat that determines how much recce you get - REGARDLESS of how many aircraft the other side has left.

so can I suggest something like:

"the number of aircraft you have determines how many hexes you can spot.  The more aircraft you have the more hexes you spot.  Enemy aircraft can shoot yours down if they are tech level 2 or higher (and vice versa), thus reducing the number of your aircraft, and hence the number of hexes you can spot."

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/30/2007 3:22:44 AM   
flintlock

Air superiority within the context of the question refers to your "Air Pts" versus your opponents. The question is whether or not there's any advantage in air reconnaissance to the player who has more aircraft on a front. I have edited the question to reflect this point more accurately.

I think this should clear up any inadvertent confusion. :)

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 12
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/30/2007 4:20:17 AM   
JD Walter

Thank you both for the clarification on air superiority above. Frank certainly was cryptic here!

And, Flintlock, thanks also for summarizing these here. Appreciate all you hard work. I will continue posting new questions (for Frank and/or the devs) to answer in my "Initial Questions" thread, so as to allow you to concentrate on synopsizing them here and (hopefully) keep this thread much shorter for our dial-up friends.

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 13
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/30/2007 4:35:14 AM   
*Lava*

When will the game end?

The last turn is Nov-Dec 1919.

What do the symbols and numers on the counters mean?

(in reply to JD Walter)
Post #: 14
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/30/2007 1:54:39 PM   
Hanal

I had HQ refits due, but during the strategic turn when I tried to allocate them to my HQs, I found that they disappeared. Where did they go?

Remember that HQ refits and Arms are used both for refits and new unit builds. So if you build a new HQ unit first, 2 of your HQ refits would be used. If you only had 2 HQ refits to begin with then you would not have the ability to allocate any activate/offensive points for that turn as they were used for the build.

The same rule applies to Corps. The more Arms you spend on new builds, the less you will have available for refits, and visa-versa.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 15
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 1:27:12 AM   
uncc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

When will the game end?

The last turn is Nov-Dec 1919.

What do the symbols and numers on the counters mean?

And just what does that "A" for Troop Class actually mean and how many other types are there??? Thanks...

edit: OK, I figured out the "A" probably means assault, but are there other types??

< Message edited by uncc -- 7/31/2007 1:39:08 AM >

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 16
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 2:08:47 AM   
*Lava*

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

And just what does that "A" for Troop Class actually mean and how many other types are there?

There are four classes of troops, A through D, with A being the best and D being the worst. So for example, German Guards are class A. Use your A class troops to spearhead your offenses.

Each country has it's own set of troops classes, also A through D, with A being the best the country can provide and D being the worst.

However, the classes are not comparable between countries. Thus a German A class division is qualitatively better than an A class Russian division but probably equal to or inferior to the British (also remembering that the Brits have much larger divisions... nasty).

I do not know for sure how the A class divisions compare country wise. That is, who has the better troops in class A divisions.

I would suppose it is something like this:

1) Britain and/or Germany
2) Germany
3) France and/or Austria
4) Austria and/or Russia
5) Russia
6) Everyone else

So basically you don't want Austrians fighting the British and Russians fighting the Germans... no matter what the class.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 17
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 2:15:17 AM   
SMK-at-work

There was an E in hte betas - IIRC I saw it for Turks and Serbians, so keep an eye out...:)

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 18
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 3:19:58 AM   
uncc

much...

OK, now I'm seeing classes like 2A, and 3A, and L and S-L, etc. (for my Austrians)

MANUAL ...

but I'm still holding out high hopes for GoA

< Message edited by uncc -- 7/31/2007 3:38:22 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 5:32:50 AM   
flintlock

I believe you're confusing unit names with unit classes. The L denotes the artillery unit is loaded. S-L means that a siege artillery unit (unique from regular artillery) is loaded.

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 20
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 5:42:45 AM   
uncc

quote:

ORIGINAL: flintlock

I believe you're confusing unit names with unit classes. The L denotes the artillery unit is loaded. S-L means that a siege artillery unit (unique from regular artillery) is loaded.

perhaps, but if the arty is already loaded, why do I have the option to reload

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 21
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 6:04:06 AM   
flintlock

The artillery unit counter shows an L, and when you right-click on it you have the option to reload, but not barrage? If that's the case, I'm not sure about this then.

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 22
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 3:21:35 PM   
uncc

Barrage is not even a choice...time to peruse the manual again...

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 23
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 7/31/2007 3:42:11 PM   
SMK-at-work

"2A" and "3A" are actually entrenchement levels (the 2 and the 3) next to troop quality.

I don't know why you can't barrage if loaded, except maybe you can only barrage into an enemy hex, and you don't have any adjacent? (guesswork on my part as to whether this is a requirement or not)

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 7/31/2007 3:43:32 PM >

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 24
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 8/2/2007 9:58:32 AM   
Noakesy

These notes are invaluable - is there any chance the manual will be revisited in the very near future?

Post #: 25
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 8/2/2007 12:56:55 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

Barrage is not even a choice...time to peruse the manual again...

Do you have Barrage Points to spend in order to conduct a barrage? You have to buy extra barrage points during the strategic phase once your at start amount runs out...check the info bar at the top of the map. If it says "Barrage 0" then no barrage for you.....

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 8/2/2007 12:58:09 PM >

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 26
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 8/6/2007 9:44:27 PM   
flintlock

FAQ updated with a few more entries.

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 27
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 8/7/2007 3:00:50 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

What does the designation, L, refer to in an artillery unit counter?

That's a siege artillery unit. Very effective for attacking fixed fortifications like Liege and other fortified cities.

No - L means loaded, S means siege.

Also AFAIK industry is not eliminated - to can be captured by the otehr side and thus you lose the use of it, but, like energy, it is neither created nor destroyed!! :)

(in reply to flintlock)
Post #: 28
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 8/7/2007 5:18:41 AM   
flintlock

quote:

Also AFAIK industry is not eliminated...

Yes, the first point was a typo. Within the context of the question, eliminated makes reference in that your ability to continue using it may be removed.

--

< Message edited by flintlock -- 8/7/2007 5:24:02 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: FAQ - Guns of August - 8/8/2007 6:46:19 AM   
JD Walter

Hi SMK,

Thanks for trying to clarify things here. Just a quick "FYI" for you & Flintlock on something new over at my "Initial Questions" thread:

quote:

Also AFAIK industry is not eliminated - to can be captured by the otehr side and thus you lose the use of it, but, like energy, it is neither created nor destroyed!! :)

Actually, Frank has stated that industry can be destroyed: Q27, Initial Questions.

This might be why the graphic disappears in certain cities after they are captured (Lublin).

Hope this helps!

As always, thanks to you both for this FAQ - it's very useful!

< Message edited by Def Zep -- 8/8/2007 6:47:47 AM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> FAQ - Guns of August Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI