Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Submarine Warfare?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Submarine Warfare? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Submarine Warfare? - 7/31/2007 3:55:27 AM   
christian brown

I haven't seen many screenies on the AARs (love 'em by the way, great job guys and thanks!) that center on the u-boat campaign..........why is this? For that matter, naval actions in general (like Japanese carriers amok in the Pacific) haven't been given prominence in the SSs.....

Is it because the sub war is not being pursued?
Is there some consensus that the sub war is somewhat extraneous?
Is it because Japan is not focusing on a naval strategy?
Is it merely because the Japanese player has not been posting many SSs?

I'm at somewhat of a loss.......

Though no champion by any stretch, I always found it worthwhile as the Germans to keep at least 5 subs active in the Atlantic and as the WA, always spent many resources keeping the subs at bay......in fact, the sub headache was often seemingly all-consuming..........

Feedback is very much welcomed........

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
Post #: 1
RE: Submarine Warfare? - 7/31/2007 5:22:11 AM   
MrQuiet

My opinion subs not worth it in the early war.
They drive up US WR (getting US x2 earlier)
They cost valuable early war pps to research and produce
They are not powerful enough to kill the trannys only damage them (which usualy puts an extra pop point in England and WA doesnt need to replace them imediately)
Auto hits from enemy vessels raise hell with them.
Useless for effective Barb strike

The only thing they are good at in the Early War is burning WA supply and transport capacity. (strictly my opinion)

Mid war its good to research them and send them out or place them in threatning positions to get WA to spend on ASW research. Attack 4 usualy gets a kill on transports and no chance for tranny auto hit to return the favor (since your evasion will go up if firer damaged) I prefer to use Italian pop for Subs.

One other interesting thing of note with subs*
The better there evasion gets the worse they fair from enemy op-fire due to auto hits being worth more

< Message edited by MrQuiet -- 7/31/2007 5:25:39 AM >

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 2
RE: Submarine Warfare? - 7/31/2007 9:50:35 PM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrQuiet
One other interesting thing of note with subs*
The better there evasion gets the worse they fair from enemy op-fire due to auto hits being worth more

I'd never thought of that. I'm afraid this just adds another point to my (recently quiescent) dislike of the suppresion implementation.

An autohit should be different for suppression fire. Since damage is from 5*durability and evasion isn't in the picture, the suppression auto hit should not be a function of evasion. It should probably be just either +5*durability, or either not doubled or doubled.

IMO, this issue (higher evasion makes you EASIER to damage with suppression fire) could be a candidate to fix. That just doesn't make any sense.

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 3
RE: Submarine Warfare? - 8/6/2007 9:53:40 AM   
christian brown

Still, why no SSs from Japan?

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 4
RE: Submarine Warfare? - 8/14/2007 6:03:43 AM   
christian brown

Thank You, Mr. Quiet for that oh so lovely SS of a Japanese carrier action. I DO feel better now........ : )

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Submarine Warfare? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI