Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bat Ratings Left vs Right?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Bat Ratings Left vs Right? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/2/2007 5:12:57 PM   
StefanG

Question regarding how the game engine increases / decreases a batter's ability to get a hit against a lefty vs a righty? Does the game actually have ratings for each batter as to how they will do against left handers vs right handers, or is there just some factor applied to all batters, such that all right handed batter's contact rating is reduced by a few points when facing a right handed pitcher? I'm curious because I recognize stats/metrics are captured as to how they do in simulation but didn't see it in the actual ratings. I also noticed that most right handed batters hit better against left handed pitchers and vice-versa which is expected; however, I noticed a few plays who had the opposite results which makes me think there is more going on than a common factor being applied to all.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/2/2007 9:25:01 PM   
XCom

Players do have modifiers for facing LHP and RHP but they are hidden. I think most LHB will have better ratings against RHP and vice-versa, but that is not the case for all players and the extent of the spread in difference varies from player to player. Only by getting the player some at bats will you start to see the trends.

(in reply to StefanG)
Post #: 2
RE: Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/2/2007 10:06:25 PM   
StefanG

So, if I were to create a player (in sandbox mode), then I'd get the opportunity to enter ratings for batting against right and left handed pitchers? If not, then I have hard time believing that there are hidden ratings and its more likely that there is just some common factor. The reason I'm skeptical is because i don't see the splits within the Lahman database, and its my understanding that's the source for the calculated ratings.

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 3
RE: Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/2/2007 10:28:20 PM   
XCom

I think when you create a fictional player, the hidden ratings like vL/R, durability, greed, peak age, etc. are all randomly generated by some internal formula. I'm not sure what happens to these hidden ratings on players generated from the Lahman database. I know these hidden ratings are real because Shaun has discussed them in the past and many of them are referenced in the XML file. If I can dig up a link to an earlier discussion I will post it.

< Message edited by XCom -- 8/2/2007 10:32:41 PM >

(in reply to StefanG)
Post #: 4
RE: Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/2/2007 11:11:00 PM   
XCom

Heh...check out this thread from 2006 and my post at the bottom.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1154317

I'm not sure we've ever gotten a full answer to this question. Maybe Shaun can shed some light when he gets back?

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 5
RE: Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/2/2007 11:19:24 PM   
XCom

Here is the discussion that I that I was thinking of before...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1152965

...so it is definately true that players have hidden lefty/righty ratings. I'm not sure how they are generated from the Lahman database, though.

(in reply to StefanG)
Post #: 6
RE: Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/3/2007 12:59:20 AM   
KG Erwin

I think it's all part of the randomization factor when players (whether real or fictional) are generated.

I have seen players that bat equally well regardless of the handedness of the opposing pitcher. Only by playing out a few dozen games do you start to see trends developing.

At that point, the manager can start experimenting with platooning.

That being said, a real player's PS attributes in the lefty/righty thing will often be completely different than his real-life performance.

(in reply to StefanG)
Post #: 7
RE: Bat Ratings Left vs Right? - 8/3/2007 1:07:59 AM   
StefanG

So, apparently there are "hidden" split stat ratings that affect a player. I couldn't tell from the post, if these "hidden" ratings follow a player from year to year and are persistent within the database, or if its just something that get's generated at run-time and could change from game to game for a player. For example, does player X who is left handed (and happens to hit left handed pitchers better than right handed pitchers - even though that's not typical), always hit left handed pitchers betters year in and year out, or is it random?

(in reply to XCom)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> Bat Ratings Left vs Right? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI