Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Avoid Battle?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Avoid Battle? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Avoid Battle? - 8/4/2007 6:33:08 AM   
GIJim

First of all, let me congratulate all responsible for putting together this great game. I have been waiting for years for a realistic strategic Civil War game.
While I think it is realistic for a unit to avoid battle while in the same province with an enemy unit that wants to engage for a turn or two; I think it's unrealistic for it to happen indefinitely. Particularly, if the unit that wants to engage has a superiority in cavalry. Eventually, the unit that wants to "avoid battle" should have to retreat or engage. On that same note, I think it is entirely unrealistic for a unit which is besieging a fort/city to avoid battle if an enemy unit wants to engage it. I mean, how are you going to outmanuever an enemy unit if you have to stay in one place in order to besiege a "fixed" position. Doesn't it make sense that the besieger is also "fixed".
Again, thanks for a job very well done.

GIJim

James P. Faust
Post #: 1
RE: Avoid Battle? - 8/4/2007 8:17:48 AM   
Mus

Ive never seen avoid battle work very effectively. Not sure how it works, what the odds are or anything.

(in reply to GIJim)
Post #: 2
RE: Avoid Battle? - 8/4/2007 4:24:39 PM   
ericbabe

The avoid battle option gives a military group a 50% to avoid a battle per movement phase.  There are 6 movement phases in a turn, so the chances of avoiding battle for an entire turn are .5^6 = .015 -- that is to say, there's less than a 2% chance of being able to avoid battle for an entire movement phase.  The odds of avoiding battle for two movement phases is only .02%.  The two main uses for avoid battle are to try to gain a little delay while attempting to rendezvous with a unit that's en route to help you fight in the province, or else to try to slip past enemy units into one of your provinces (since you can't move past enemy units to move into enemy territory).

We could add an option to disallow avoiding battles for military groups that are besieging, but as avoid battle isn't really an effective way to, uhm, avoid battle, I tend to think that this would just add complexity to the interface that probably isn't necessary.

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Avoid Battle? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI