Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

JTCS Unit Viewer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> JTCS Unit Viewer Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/6/2007 9:58:22 PM   
Arkady

! NEW !
UPDATE - 2.01.1
https://sites.google.com/site/jtcsunitviewer
March 9th 2014
- Added validation for wrong icon files
- Unit picture box (unit photo) supports larger images
- Tool version displayed as part of utility title bar
! NEW !

January 29th 2014
- Update to conform with new JTCS Patch 2.0
- Wider screen to allow display of ful unit name sin nation's unit list
- Icon index numbers displayed

November 7th 2011
- Indication of nation allegiance (Axis/Allies) upon selection
- Minor bug fixes
- Sound library upgrade
- Code enhancement for future upgrades

November 18th, 2013
Compatability tested - Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (32 and 64 bits versions)

October 9th, 2010
Should work on both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows (XP, Vista and 7)
3D icon file name is now displayed as a tooltip when you hover mouse over icon.

July 4th, 2008
JTCS Unit Viewer is patch 1.04 compliant

3D icon file name is now displayed as a tooltip when you hover mouse over icon.

There was some talks about unit viewer for Campaign Series.
As PLTNDATA.HLP and WPNDATA.HLP files in current game are obsolete, its hard to find stats for all units. And in the game viewer (F2 key) is limited only to your side.

So I made Unit Viewer for John Tiller's Campaign Series.
All data are read dynamically from game directory and they are always up to date.

Installation and usage is very simple, see below

Installation
------------
Step 1: Download - http://sites.google.com/site/jtcsunitviewer/
Step 2: Unzip archive to destination by your choice (three files in zip archive, keep them together)
Step 3: Run JTCS_UnitViewer.exe

Enjoy It!

Requirements
------------
- John Tiller's Campaign Series properly installed on your machine
- .NET Framework 2.0 or better (if you are not sure about this just run the viewer and if you receive error message you'll need download and install .NET Framework from Microsoft. It is free, size is 22.4 MB - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5)

Work with viewer
----------------
After start you se only one combo box, select game (EF, WF, or RS) - Change Path button allows you select different path if you have more than one version installed. Selected Path is stored and program use it next time
Now you have another choice, you can select nation (list depends on platoonXX.obx files in game directory)
If you pick a nation, list with all available platoons/units appear, now just click unit in the list and you will see all details about the unit.
Additional you can see game counters with NATO symbol and Graphical icon , 3d graphic for unit (you can rotate unit, display base for better visibility and switch to alternative camo if available).
Full description from unittext.txt is on screen and you can open weapons chart too.
Movement and weapons sound can be played for each unit.
Some values for units (different background color in table) are explained in tool tip if you hover your mouse over this value (Targeting, Indirect Fire, Digging, Carry/Tow, Unit Type)
If you pick Weapons Chart, new window shows you chart for attack values against hard and soft target. Table with all values is displayed below the chart.
You can assign up to four units for comparison with Compare/Remove button. If one or more units are selected then new tab appear and you will find comparison tables there.
Additionally, you cna save this comparison to PDF file for future use.
Selected game can be directly launched from the utility - press "Play Game" button

Issues
------
If you encounter any problem with JTCS Unitviewer, cotact me with description and I'll help you.

- no 3D graphic displayed for some units: corresponding bmp files are missing, report to Matrix Games
- no unit picture available: corresponding picture files are missing, report to Matrix Games
- no unit text displayed: corresponding entry in unittext.txt is missing, report to Matrix Games
- 2D graphic not aligned: bitmaps in icons2d files are not centered in the grid, report to Matrix Games
- not corresponding sound files: my fault , I'm not sure how exactly are data from obx files tied to weapon and movement sound files.

I hope that someone find this utility useful

Arkady

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 6/5/2014 11:23:21 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/7/2007 1:45:11 AM   
sfinlay

Arkady, This is a work of genius !!

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 2
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/7/2007 2:25:09 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: flying scotsman

I'll second that!

However....

Movement and weapon sounds don't change.....

(in reply to sfinlay)
Post #: 3
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/7/2007 5:20:46 AM   
LarryP

Good job! The movements and weapons sounds work great here. Thank you very much! Now you need an About box so you can get proper credit. Back to Visual Studio you go...

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 4
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/7/2007 8:12:14 AM   
v. Manstein

Wonderfull!!!
Thanks a lot!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 5
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/7/2007 9:15:49 AM   
Arkady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

quote:

I'll second that!

However....

most units are assignes with weapn and movement sound 0 or 1 in obx files.
for example there are several variations of 0weaponX.ogg and I'm not sure how those variations are tied to unit, so for all those unit I use 0weapon0.ogg

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 6
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/7/2007 11:30:19 PM   
asiaticus

With sound files a unit with a sound file 1 assigned selects at random from the choices under 1Weapon .ogg files.  If there are three ie. :  1Weapon0.ogg, 1Weapon1.ogg or 1Weapon2.ogg, it will run one of the three at random.

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 7
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/7/2007 11:38:42 PM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

quote:

I'll second that!

However....

most units are assignes with weapn and movement sound 0 or 1 in obx files.
for example there are several variations of 0weaponX.ogg and I'm not sure how those variations are tied to unit, so for all those unit I use 0weapon0.ogg

no worries...still a fantastic piece of software...

It's pretty cool to see all the new toys we'll get to play with some day...

did notice an error when opening United States for WF.....error on line 70 or something like that....

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 8
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 12:15:56 AM   
Temple

Ooh, it works like a charm. Cool 

Post #: 9
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 10:30:50 AM   
Arkady

quote:

did notice an error when opening United States for WF.....error on line 70 or something like that....

yes, there is an error in platoon10.obx file
two spaces betwen end month and front armor values

it should be fixed in CS patch 1.03

Post #: 10
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 10:32:30 AM   
Arkady

quote:

ORIGINAL: asiaticus

With sound files a unit with a sound file 1 assigned selects at random from the choices under 1Weapon .ogg files. If there are three ie. : 1Weapon0.ogg, 1Weapon1.ogg or 1Weapon2.ogg, it will run one of the three at random.

ok, so I use it right, except my viewer play always only first file for selected range (for example 1weapon0.ogg)

(in reply to asiaticus)
Post #: 11
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 12:44:17 PM   
sfinlay

quote:

quote:

I managed to fix this by removing the space and using the CS encryption utility to fix the .obx file. However, there also appears to be an error (platoo09.obx, line 64) in the the U.K. file. Again, this is nothing to do with the unit viewer utility but I can't fathom out what the problem is with this one.

P09232 3 1 2 33 0 0 40 25 4 1 1 1 10 0 1 14 66 P09232 3 33 0 1 8 8 41 2 43 12 2 1 1 Loyd AT Carriers , AT Carriers ,

Also have a couple of quick questions if any one can help?

1. In a platoon .oob how do the numbers for unit type relate to the game? That's the 21st number to the right or no. 33 in the above example.

2. How does the game know which picture to show for each unit? I'm talking about the small black and white photograph, of each unit, the one that appears in the bottom left of Arkadys unit viewer utility?

3. I read somewhere that there was a limit, at least initially, of 23 slots corresponding to a national army (national code 01 for Germany, 10 for the United States etc) Has this changed? as I can see there are thirty or so platoon##.oob's

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 12
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 12:53:32 PM   
sfinlay

quote:

quote:

With sound files a unit with a sound file 1 assigned selects at random from the choices under 1Weapon .ogg files. If there are three ie. : 1Weapon0.ogg, 1Weapon1.ogg or 1Weapon2.ogg, it will run one of the three at random.

ok, so I use it right, except my viewer play always only first file for selected range (for example 1weapon0.ogg)

F.Y.I. Arkady, most armour in the utility seem to be using the 1weapon#.ogg sound file. Acording to the Cs sounds.doc (found in the special directory of the West Front folder) this is the sound for an SMG. Should this perhaps be 10weapon#.ogg instead? Just a thought.

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 13
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 1:26:22 PM   
Arkady

quote:

quote:

quote:

I managed to fix this by removing the space and using the CS encryption utility to fix the .obx file. However, there also appears to be an error (platoo09.obx, line 64) in the the U.K. file. Again, this is nothing to do with the unit viewer utility but I can't fathom out what the problem is with this one.

P09232 3 1 2 33 0 0 40 25 4 1 1 1 10 0 1 14 66 P09232 3 33 0 1 8 8 41 2 43 12 2 1 1 Loyd AT Carriers , AT Carriers ,

in oob is everything correct but in obx file there is an error, wrong encrypted
I already reported all found errors in obx in Support forum, first thread - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1495862
quote:

Also have a couple of quick questions if any one can help?

1. In a platoon .oob how do the numbers for unit type relate to the game? That's the 21st number to the right or no. 33 in the above example.

IMO unit type is related to movement restriction and/or combat modifiers
quote:

2. How does the game know which picture to show for each unit? I'm talking about the small black and white photograph, of each unit, the one that appears in the bottom left of Arkadys unit viewer utility?

there is a Picture subdirectory for each game - unit number = unit picture
quote:

3. I read somewhere that there was a limit, at least initially, of 23 slots corresponding to a national army (national code 01 for Germany, 10 for the United States etc) Has this changed? as I can see there are thirty or so platoon##.oob's

currently 35 nationality slots

(in reply to sfinlay)
Post #: 14
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 1:35:43 PM   
Arkady

quote:

quote:

quote:

F.Y.I. Arkady, most armour in the utility seem to be using the 1weapon#.ogg sound file. Acording to the Cs sounds.doc (found in the special directory of the West Front folder) this is the sound for an SMG. Should this perhaps be 10weapon#.ogg instead? Just a thought.

I'll probably make test, I'll left only one variation for each sound and I replace it with my own sound to exactly identify what is played, then I run game and I will see :)

(in reply to sfinlay)
Post #: 15
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 3:40:40 PM   
Arkady

omg, I'm stupid 

everything is ok, I read all data correctly but finally for weapon sound I assigned number of movement sound instead (copy and paste can speed your coding but you need check variables later )

Update ready

download again from http://arkady.cz/utilities/JTCS_Unitviewer.zip
unpack and replace your old files

I apologize

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 16
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 7:40:43 PM   
1925frank

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.  This is due to my limitations, not due to any lack of clarity on your part.  I can see others are following your instructions successfully.

I create a folder within JTCS?  I download these files into that folder within JTCS, and I execute?  I don't have to download it into a specific subfolder?  Or I don't even have to create a folder?  I can drop it directly into JTCS, the first and main folder from which all the subfolders flow?

I don't understand how you access the information.  Do you access it with the F2 during the game?  Can you access it during the game?  Or do you access it on the initial screen that asks you which game you want to play, and, instead of going into a game, you hit a new button that takes you into your JTCS Unit Viewer?  You effectively can't access it during the game itself?

I think there's another thread where you posted an example of the Unit Viewer and said you were going to working on the project.  I'm impressed you got it done this quickly.  There are a lot of units, and each unit has a lot of information.

Thank you in advance for your help, and thank you for creating the JTCS Unit Viewer.

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 17
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 8:28:41 PM   
sfinlay

WOW! Arkady, Many thanks for the excellent information. In the other post you mention, what do you mean by "West Front
platoon09 - unit number P09232 - in obx file are wrong delimiters after fire cost and concealment values" 

What are "delimiters" 

1925frank - I don't think you need to create a new folder in the JTCS folder. You can run the unit viewer utility from anywhere (I run it from the desk top) It's seperate from the game itsself.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 18
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 8:31:20 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. This is due to my limitations, not due to any lack of clarity on your part. I can see others are following your instructions successfully.

I create a folder within JTCS? I download these files into that folder within JTCS, and I execute? I don't have to download it into a specific subfolder? Or I don't even have to create a folder? I can drop it directly into JTCS, the first and main folder from which all the subfolders flow?

I don't understand how you access the information. Do you access it with the F2 during the game? Can you access it during the game? Or do you access it on the initial screen that asks you which game you want to play, and, instead of going into a game, you hit a new button that takes you into your JTCS Unit Viewer? You effectively can't access it during the game itself?

I think there's another thread where you posted an example of the Unit Viewer and said you were going to working on the project. I'm impressed you got it done this quickly. There are a lot of units, and each unit has a lot of information.

Thank you in advance for your help, and thank you for creating the JTCS Unit Viewer.

Frank;

This viewer reads the path to the files it needs through the Resistry of XP. Put it anywhere you want and run it. It will find what you need by itself. Hope that helps.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 19
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 8:42:11 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP
This viewer reads the path to the files it needs through the Resistry of XP. Put it anywhere you want and run it. It will find what you need by itself. Hope that helps.

I wonder how that works for multiple installs?

Jason Petho

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 20
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 8:46:46 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

Jason Petho

Ohhhh, that's a good question. The programmer needs to implement that. Free software can become a burden, huh?!

Jason... you NEED to be getting paid good cause you sure do a lot of thinking. And fast!

< Message edited by LarryP -- 8/8/2007 8:48:55 PM >

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 21
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 8:51:37 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Ohhhh, that's a good question. The programmer needs to implement that. Free software can become a burden, huh?!

Here's hoping!

quote:

Jason... you NEED to be getting paid good cause you sure do a lot of thinking. And fast!

Ah, I wish.

Thank you!

Jason Petho

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 22
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 9:01:25 PM   
LarryP

quote:

quote:

Ah, I wish.

Thank you!

Jason Petho

Well, then we need to take up an offering brothers! Can I get an Amen?!

Post #: 23
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 9:21:19 PM   
1925frank

Amen!  (For emphatic graphics, imagine a smiley face doing multiple cartwheels.  I didn't see one of those in the selection.)

You're over my head again.  Multiple installations of the JTCS Unit Viewer?  Are you suggesting I wait until a possible glitch has been addressed?

There's also a subsequent download with a correction or two.  Can I go with just the second?

Not only does Jason think fast, but he types fast.  If not for both talents, I'm fairly sure others would beat him to the post.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 24
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 9:27:40 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

You're over my head again.  Multiple installations of the JTCS Unit Viewer?  Are you suggesting I wait until a possible glitch has been addressed?

I was referring to multiple installs of the Campaign Series.

For example, I presently have four installs of the Campaign Series installed on my machine for testing and modding purposes. Which of those installs would the JTCS Viewer actually be reading?

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 25
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 9:28:33 PM   
LarryP

quote:

You're over my head again. Multiple installations of the JTCS Unit Viewer? Are you suggesting I wait until a possible glitch has been addressed?

Not only does Jason think fast, but he types fast. If not for both talents, I'm fairly sure others would beat him to the post.

I thought Jason meant multiple installations of the game, not the viewer. Gosh, maybe I took him wrong?! Just when I think I have my brain functioning correctly, along comes trouble...

If it were not for Jason, where would this section be??? I think he answers before we even click "OK."

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 26
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 9:32:45 PM   
LarryP

How in the heck did you get your post above mine?????? See what I mean, Bruuthers???

Should have been a reply to Jason, not myself! What a ding a ling.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 8/8/2007 9:34:41 PM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 27
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 10:57:47 PM   
Arkady

quote:

quote:

Jason Petho

Well, in registry is path to last installed version, I believe that one installation is enough, if you need separate version for mods you just copy entire folder to different location

But of course my utility read only registry path, I have now two improvements in work,
a) Change Path - you should change path to different location, it can help with viewing units in mods

b) Unit Compare - you can mark unit for comparison against other unit(s) (up to four units...it is enough IMO)

Post #: 28
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 10:59:43 PM   
Arkady

Do you have JTCS Unitviewer working now ?

I'm leaving for next few days so if you need help with install, let me know quick

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 29
RE: JTCS Unit Viewer - 8/8/2007 11:01:52 PM   
Arkady

quote:

WOW! Arkady, Many thanks for the excellent information. In the other post you mention, what do you mean by "West Front
platoon09 - unit number P09232 - in obx file are wrong delimiters after fire cost and concealment values"

What are "delimiters"

values are separated by spaces, I call them delimiters

It is probably my deformation as everything that separate data is delimiter to me (commas, spaces, tabs, semicolons etc. )

(in reply to sfinlay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> JTCS Unit Viewer Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI