Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oil and Resources to Australia?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Oil and Resources to Australia? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/7/2007 1:48:28 AM   
velkro

I tried to search the forum for this answer to no avail. As the Allied player, do I need to be concerned with shipping resources and oil to Australia? Or, are fuel and supplies enough? Thanks! Velkro
Post #: 1
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/7/2007 2:00:27 AM   
Terminus

Yeah, that's a good idea, especially for Dutch oil and resources which then won't be available to the other side.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to velkro)
Post #: 2
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/7/2007 2:02:32 AM   
wdolson

You can get by without shipping oil, but it helps.  If Sydney and Melbourne have oil stocks, they will generate supplies and fuel with the heavy industry there.  That will not fullfill all the needs for the Southwest Pacific, but it will fill Australia's home needs with a little left over to ship to front line bases.  Auckland is similar.  It can generate enough supply to keep the North Island in good shape if it has oil.

While it's still safe to do so, suck as much oil out of the Dutch East Indies as you can.  I ship all the oil I can out of Palembang and the other, smaller DEI ports to Australia and India.  Most Allied locations have adequate resources, oil is usually the biggest problem.  If they have oil, they can generate supplies, which will reduce the strain on your shipping down the road.

The oil in the Western US will be needed to generate supply in the first year or so.  You can get away with shipping some out, but don't take too much.  At least this is the case with CHS.  I've never played stock in the big campaign, but I believe it isn't as critical in stock.  In CHS, things were done to keep the Allies from having overwhelming supply in the first year.  It's enough, but not massive over capacity.

The resource and oil part of the game is a lot less critical for the Allies.  If you don't ship the oil, you will have to ship more supplies, but it isn't a critical, stop production kind of problem.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to velkro)
Post #: 3
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/7/2007 2:06:42 AM   
Naskra

You don't need to be overly concerned about it.  Australia has a net oil shortage and a net resource surplus,
so it behooves you to send oil there, since the oil transforms into both fuel and supply.  Most likely you will need to massively the augment the native production of supply and fuel if you are using Australia for anything more than R&R.

(in reply to velkro)
Post #: 4
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/7/2007 5:54:44 AM   
velkro

Thanks all for the responses!

(in reply to velkro)
Post #: 5
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/7/2007 6:53:47 AM   
Gem35

I ship oil out of the DEI to Darwin and then on to either Sydney or Melborne.
Enough supp;y can be genrated to help keep Port Moresby operational.
But it is not a game breaker if you don't.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to velkro)
Post #: 6
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/7/2007 5:03:33 PM   
ny59giants

If you're playing stock, then 1 large TK from the WC to Australia per month is sufficient. 

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 7
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/11/2007 5:24:54 AM   
denisonh

I prefer Perth to Darwin, as it is more protected from Jap raids or Jap air raid if your opponent takes Amboina early. (Or takes Darwin, which really sucks)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 8
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/11/2007 5:51:32 AM   
BrucePowers

I try and ship as much oil from the US west coast to Sydney as I can. This works out, for me to between 1 and 2 tankers a month. This helps me generate supplies which can then be moved by all over that p[art of the map.

I also agree with Terminus. I try to move as much out of the DEI as I can. You may need ASW units to assist the transports due to the possibility of IJN subs.

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 9
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/11/2007 11:39:36 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

I prefer Perth to Darwin, as it is more protected from Jap raids or Jap air raid if your opponent takes Amboina early. (Or takes Darwin, which really sucks)
quote:

If the mission is to keep as much oil and resources from Japanese, then go with Darwin...shorter turn around times and you can get twice as much out.

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 10
RE: Oil and Resources to Australia? - 8/11/2007 3:15:16 PM   
denisonh

Exactly, but remember, if the Japs take Darwin, they get it all back. At least at Perth it is more protected.

Also, Betty's and Nells out of Amboina will make it more "expensive" to do this. In all but 1 PBEM as Allies, my Japanese opponent took Amboina early and made Darwin a tough place to mass Allied shipping from the get go. So if you get the oil there, lack of rail transport means it stays there and transhipping it to Perth, Melbourne and Sydney will be tough for the above mentioned reasons. And the oil won't help you until it gets to Melbourne/Sydney anyway, so make sure it gets there.

The shipping is more valuable than the oil IMO, so I don't uneccessarily risk shipping.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: denisonh

quote:

If the mission is to keep as much oil and resources from Japanese, then go with Darwin...shorter turn around times and you can get twice as much out.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Oil and Resources to Australia? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI