Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent, no looking opponent!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent, no looking opponent! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/13/2007 7:34:09 AM   
lojishen

Western Front T7:

Like the Northern Front, the Western Front has little excitement. The Germans move towards the main line, and I move up reserves. Front layout is the same as the last picture, other than the arrival of the small and weak 28th army in the Orsha area. This is a small army made up of DNO (i.e. Militia) divisions. With proficiencies in the 30% area they don't last long. I dig them in a few hexes behind the front, in the woods north of the main road, and hope they force the Germans to spend at least a turn digging them out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 31
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/13/2007 7:40:48 AM   
lojishen

Kiev Front, formally Southern Front a T7:

The Southern Front has been split into two, with the Kiev Front taking Kiev south to about Kremenchug, and the Southern Front taking over from there.

Little to report as the Germans continue to mach through the now mostly empty SW Ukraine. The 12th army looks like it will make good its escape! I've completed the defensive plan for Kiev which I'll detail when the German troops get there. It involves an outter ring of 4 Corp, and an inner ring of the 9 Mech and the 16th Army. The inner ring are force level support units so they will be able to surge to the front and assist with counter-attacks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 32
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/13/2007 7:47:21 AM   
lojishen

Odessa & Southern Fronts T7:

No advance by the Germans across the Dnestr River, so that line holds for at least two turns now. You can just start to see the beggings of the Ingul River line starting to form. Four armies there (from north to south: 6th, 12th, 18th, and 9th) with a few independent corp thrown in. My recon must not be very good as I can see nothing in southern Rumania. This will turn out to hurt me in the near future ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 33
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/13/2007 7:57:32 AM   
lojishen

Northern and Northwestern Fronts T8:

Germans arrive at the Pskov front, but no big battles yet. I examined the line a little more and relized I wasn't making full use of the terrain. There were several flooded marsh hexes which are impassable. I incorporated them into my line, and it freed up enough forces that I will now be able to send the 21 Mech back to the main line where it will backstop the 48 Army, another unit mostly made up of weak DNO (militia) units.

The 23 Army north of Leningrad gets walloped pretty good, but I manage to extricate all of the divisions at this point. Though not quite back to with two squares of Leningrad, I should make it without losing large chuncs of this army. They will definitely need some extensive refit time though. The 7th army sees little action.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 34
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/13/2007 8:07:27 AM   
lojishen

Western Theatre T8:

The Western Front gets an updgrade to Theatre, and has four Fronts. The Velizh Front defends north of the Orsha gap, with nothing to report. It consists of the 30th and 29th armies. The Orsha front with the 13th, 20th, and 32nd armies defends the Orsha gap. There is only minor skirmishing on this front as the German forces arrive. The Bryansk front which holds the Dnepr south of the Orsha, and whose line of retreat goes through Bryansk if it comes to that. This front has the 33rd, 28th, and 24th armies, with the 7 Mech corp and remnants from other units. Again, no action on this front this turn. Finally, there is the Gomel front whose job is to protect the backside of Kiev from a Guderian type thrust from the German's AGC. It holds the 21st and 3rd armies along with the 30 Corp and the 23 Mech Corp. There is nothing going on here either, but as I haven't posted this shot, I'll put it here ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 35
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/13/2007 8:23:11 AM   
lojishen

Southern Theatre T8:

Nothing happening in the Kiev or the Southern Fronts. German advance units are still 40-70 Km's from Kiev and no where near the Southern Front. Makes for boring reporting, but when you are the Soviet player in DnO, you love boring reporting!! From my perspecive, the most boring AAR in history would be perfect.

However, despite all the boredom from the north to Kiev, this turn was unfortunately not all boring. Remember that picture of an empty southern Rumania from last turn. Well, it wasn't empty. In fact, it was full of all kinds of troops, and they managed to assault a weakly held line of the Dnestr River, and gain a significant bridgehead farily close to Odessa.

It seemed an unlikely spot to attack as there aren't any bridges in the area, and as I didn't see any enemy forces near by, I thought I could get away with holding the eastern bank with small regiments and construction units. This was a mistake. The Axis are across in strength, and I'll have to scramble to contain it. I withdraw the bulk of the 2 Mech and parts of the 9th army to positions east of the bridghead, and spread out the 5 Cav. I was going to withdraw the 5 Cav to the Ingul River this turn, but that is no more, and the 5 Cav will probably die in place. The 18 Mech holds its current position as it is mostly committed anyway, crushed any attempts of the Germans or Italians to get across the river this turn, and thus prevents a quick penetration by the 11th army to the Ingul River line.

This might be a good time to answer the question of why fight for Odessa at all, at least why so hard. In DnO, there is an event variable that grows as the Soviets lose key cities. If the event variable gets to 100, then bad things happen for the Soviet. Each of the key cities has a range of dates for it to fall: early, roughly on time, and late. If the city falls in the eary range then the event variable goes up quicker than if it falls later. For example, if Odess falls before turn 17 then the event variable climbs 12%. If it falls between turn 17 and 25, then it only goes up 8%. I try to keep the city from falling early, and unless it is vital to the overall war effort, I don't mind if it falls in the middle. Thus, the Odessa front has orders to hold Odessa until turn 17. The Kiev front has orders to hold Kiev until turn 19.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 36
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/28/2007 6:34:59 AM   
lojishen

Unfortunately, my opponent and I won't be completing this game.  I just wanted to say I appreciated the kind feedback.  I learned a lot doing this brief AAR, and will definitely do another one.  I have another game going now, but I'm not sure I want to try and catch up again.  If not, definitely the start of my next game.

Thanks,

lojishen

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 37
RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent... - 8/31/2007 2:33:10 AM   
cantona2

Nice AAR, shame it finished :(

Your initial moves and deployments are ver similar to the initial moves in my AAR vs loveman1

cantona2

< Message edited by cantona2 -- 8/31/2007 2:34:21 AM >

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to lojishen)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: One side only AAR, DnO lojishen vs. German Opponent, no looking opponent! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI