Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MATRIX site ADD-ON

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> MATRIX site ADD-ON Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 8:20:46 AM   
Sergeant

MATRIX,

Every time I log onto your site lately, my NORTON gives me a WARNING that your site is trying to run an add-on. The name of the Add-On is; Remote Services Data Control. What are you trying to put onto my computer? The name sounds like some sort of HACKER's program!

Mike--------*

Post #: 1
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 8:48:14 AM   
palli

I have the same problem, here and at the Wargamer. I get a warning from my firewall that something wants to comunicate from/with my computer and then I have a file on my desktop. I delete it but next click on your board and it is there again.

palli

(in reply to Sergeant)
Post #: 2
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 9:30:52 AM   
Fred98

I use Norton and I don't get that message.

I feel like I am missing out 

-

(in reply to palli)
Post #: 3
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 9:54:52 AM   
Sergeant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I use Norton and I don't get that message.

I feel like I am missing out 

-

I'm running NORTON 2007 Anti-Virus. It shows up as an alert bar just below my top tool bar. My NORTON blocks it as potentually harmful and gives me a chance to allow it IF I trust it. It is apparently a pop-up add-on ?? Anyway - I never allow it. I want MATRIX to acknowledge it and say wheather it is safe or not and what it is for... or remove it from their site. That's why I posted here - under GENERAL.

p.s... I'm also using VISTA. Norton program that blocks it is called FRAUD MONITORING and is always active on my system.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 4
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 10:42:15 AM   
jvgfanatic

This was discussed at length a year (or three) ago. I went looking for the thread but couldn't find it. I don't believe anyone belonging to Matrix ever responded but I could be wrong about that, it isn't as if I've ever seen the error so I did not follow the thread.

(in reply to Sergeant)
Post #: 5
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 10:56:13 AM   
Widell

Without being a programmer of any great skill, and definitely not knowledgeable in asp which seem to be the base for the Matrix site/forums, I'd say this is a Microsoft component (Active X control) that triggers a warning from Norton based on the security level you have set. A lower level does not trigger the warning, which explain why some users get the warning, and other don't. A search on Google and Microsoft led me to the following result which seem to include a fairly technical description of what the RSD is good for

My take on this is that you don't need to worry about this, but as always, it's your computer and you make the calls ;-)

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 6
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 11:07:37 AM   
David Heath

Hi Sergeant

This is the news banner running on top of the site from what I remember. Norton gives off strange readings and you may have your PC security set to high and that would also cause you to get this warning.

There is nothing that I am aware of that we are doing from our web site that any user here needs to be worried about.

David

(in reply to Sergeant)
Post #: 7
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 11:22:13 AM   
Sergeant

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Sergeant

This is the news banner running on top of the site from what I remember. Norton gives off strange readings and you may have your PC security set to high and that would also cause you to get this warning.

There is nothing that I am aware of that we are doing from our web site that any user here needs to be worried about.

David

David,

Thank you, Sir, for the acknowledgement and explaination. I feel better now!

Mike------------*

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 8
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 11:25:19 AM   
Sergeant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

Without being a programmer of any great skill, and definitely not knowledgeable in asp which seem to be the base for the Matrix site/forums, I'd say this is a Microsoft component (Active X control) that triggers a warning from Norton based on the security level you have set. A lower level does not trigger the warning, which explain why some users get the warning, and other don't. A search on Google and Microsoft led me to the following result which seem to include a fairly technical description of what the RSD is good for

My take on this is that you don't need to worry about this, but as always, it's your computer and you make the calls ;-)

Widell,

Looks like your were right on. (See reply from DAVID). Thanks for your input.

Mike------*

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 9
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 12:49:29 PM   
Marc von Martial

Btw, you do not need to lower your general security settings. You can simply make "www.matrixgames.com" a save / trusted site (or whatever it is called in your security applications of choice).

(in reply to Sergeant)
Post #: 10
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 3:28:26 PM   
Raverdave

Nortons..........................Oh stop you are making me laugh so hard that I have pains in my jaw and stomach !

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 11
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/9/2007 3:34:20 PM   
JudgeDredd

I know some people swear by it, but I swear at it. I wouldn't have it on my machine if it was free.

That's nothing against people who have it, by the way. As I said...some people swear by it...I had nothing but problems with it and people with it on laptops at my work need more IT help than others.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 8/9/2007 3:45:41 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 12
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/10/2007 1:16:32 PM   
Marc von Martial

There is certainly a lot of free/cheap alternatives to Norton. I dumped Norton 5 years ago when they started to get that immense RAM footprint.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/11/2007 10:30:47 AM   
Zap

I dumped Norton 2 years ago. Glad I did, had too many problems with it.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 14
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/11/2007 1:21:48 PM   
Shaun

I have found that Norton and McAfee etc use WAY too much in the way of system resources.

I now use the intergrated Zone Alarm package that has AV, Anti-Spyware-Firewall etc and is not a system hog or even better if I really want a small footprint is ESET.

ESET is probably the best AV out here and it runs and scans in real time with no performance slow down. The only real reason I use ZA is because of the intergrated package that does it all and does it well!

Norton really sucks and have not used it for several years!

Sulla

www.closecombat.org

Integrity - Doing the right thing when no one is looking

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 15
RE: MATRIX site ADD-ON - 8/11/2007 3:35:59 PM   
PunkReaper

I am about to renew my Norton account. I haven't had any trouble with it but what free/cheap and more importantly safe internet protection would you recommend?

(in reply to Shaun)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> MATRIX site ADD-ON Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote