Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What's the word?????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> RE: What's the word????? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's the word????? - 11/16/2007 5:20:45 PM   
1925frank

My recollection is that BG Ardennes was platoon level.  I purchased it after having already purchased WF.  I saw BG Ardennes as a test run for Campaign Series and did not play it very much as I already had WF.  They were very similar games, except the graphics in BG Ardennes were not nearly as good (16 bit versus 32 bit?).  BG Ardennes went through phases within a turn like BGCW and BGNW.  When Campaign Series came out, there were no longer phases.  I don't recall, but I think Campaign Series removed the phases and implemented the Opportunity Fire feature.  I ran across at least one scenario from BG Ardennes that I recognized in WF.  Anyone who was interested in BG Ardennes would prefer Campaign Series, but for anyone who wanted to see what Campaign Series' predecessor looked like, BG Ardennes would be it.

(in reply to Leopejo)
Post #: 91
RE: What's the word????? - 11/16/2007 9:24:33 PM   
Leopejo

Oh, thanks.

It is fascinating how John Tiller games evolve from each other, with the newest games not necessarily better than the older ones, and with no 'barriers' between Civil War/Napoleonic and WWII.  

I am learning his Panzer Campaigns, and I realize that HPS Napoleonics owe more to these than to BG games in game mechanisms, while obviously importing graphics, scales, parameter data from BG. Now if you consider that Panzer Campaigns derive from Talonsoft's Campaign Series, and this evolved from BG Ardennes, which I suppose owes much to the other BG games, it's a kind of vicious circle...

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 92
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> RE: What's the word????? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI