Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Countdown begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> RE: The Countdown begins! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/22/2007 9:48:45 PM   
BlindOldUmp

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2

Any new news 

There was a hiccup of sorts putting the screenshots into the manual, now we return you to your regularly scheduled football games...

and of course the manual they had a glitch with is the manual they will be taking picures of to make the PDF version that will come with the download version ......

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 31
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 2:20:27 PM   
EXRANPO

Skip,

Round and round and round we go.

What I guess we really want from Matrix is some straight answers. I don't believe for one minute that they would not be in control of the development and release process. Someone at Mtrix needs to put there hand up and take responsibility - WHEN is the game going to be released? - from what I have seen here a lot of people are going to walk away and not by the game if someone doesn't come up with a firm date soon.

Rod

(in reply to BlindOldUmp)
Post #: 32
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 2:46:08 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

...here a lot of people are going to walk away and not by the game

but they'll be back

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to EXRANPO)
Post #: 33
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 5:01:06 PM   
mack2

Maybe in months. Maybe never.

Just because Matrix think they have a captive audience does not make it so. It also diminishes/discourages the more casual purchases in my opinion.

Alot of people expected to be playing this game MONTHS ago. We also expected some sort of news from matrix themselves, after uncleharpoon said "four weeks from shipping". With "official press" from Matrix. That was nearly a month ago to the day. Nothing from Matrix. I joined this forum on the very purpose of the game being released back in June or July or whatever they had on their site.

Since then???? Nothing. Except another delay.

It must make people like uncleharpoon and tonye embarrassed, they put themselves out only for something to get in the way again, I very much doubt the delays are their fault, problem or even anything they can do something about. From what I've read from those guys, the game has been done for months, first we had the manual debacle, then apparently yet another packaging/manual problem.

Might be an idea for Matrix to not make so agressive release dates again. Add 6 months to whatever release date they think it's going to be.

Setting release dates that get constantly pushed back is bad press, and bad PR. For such a small company, they really should be doing better.

< Message edited by mack2 -- 9/24/2007 5:12:05 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 34
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 6:05:06 PM   
Davard74

I don't sound off often on here, I'm more of a reader, but this is nuts for a small company to string people along with no word from them at all. Even coming out and saying the game will be done in 6 months or a year is better than nothing at all. And though it would suck to hear that, at least I could walk away for X amount of time then check back.

If the maunal was the reason it was delayed or it was messed up packaging, wouldn't it make sence to offer the game as a download now, since supposedly it's been ready for awhile? How many people would pay the money for the game now to download it? Then when ever the manual was ready you could download it, or the packaging, they'd mail it to you. I'd do it.

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 35
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 7:01:53 PM   
TonyE

Embarrassed yes, surprised, no, this is Harpoon after all...  We're out here cooking the first patch anyway, hoping everyone can hang on long enough for the game to be released.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Davard74)
Post #: 36
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 7:13:40 PM   
Justascratch

After the first few years of using game developer forums it generally becomes clear to developers and customers alike that the whole notion of guess what day a game with be release is best left to the amatures and newbys. I would support a general statement in the forum's guidelines stating catagorically that publishers should refrain from speculating on release dates.

The truth is that every predicition is just that - a prediction. For folks who are always asking for "best guesses" and then complaining when the guess turns out to be just that - a guess.

So for those of you who just can't come to grips with the truth that a predicition is just a guess, I offer the words of Jack Nicholson "You can't handle the truth."

My 2 cents.

OK guys - I'm ready - blast away.

(in reply to Davard74)
Post #: 37
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 7:24:49 PM   
TonyE

Hehe, towing the company line, how dare you!  just kidding of course.  I always hope that there is a happy medium somewhere, at some points in development I personally really cannot say when the game will be ready.  At some points I can definitely say it is just whipping up an installer and it'll be ready in three days (read that as I know it takes 1 day, multiply it by 3 for good luck).  Of course I can't speak for Matrix so the answer becomes, it is ready when it is ready...

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 38
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/24/2007 7:41:11 PM   
BlindOldUmp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justascratch

After the first few years of using game developer forums it generally becomes clear to developers and customers alike that the whole notion of guess what day a game with be release is best left to the amatures and newbys. I would support a general statement in the forum's guidelines stating catagorically that publishers should refrain from speculating on release dates.

The truth is that every predicition is just that - a prediction. For folks who are always asking for "best guesses" and then complaining when the guess turns out to be just that - a guess.

So for those of you who just can't come to grips with the truth that a predicition is just a guess, I offer the words of Jack Nicholson "You can't handle the truth."

My 2 cents.

OK guys - I'm ready - blast away.

Considering I spent most of 30 years doing software development and now spend my time doing desktop support for a company that does software development I must say that it really isn't just a guess that they call a deadline or distribution date - it's really a SWAG. and my Project manager side just kicked me But we do all seem to enjoy the speculation or we wouldn't do so much of it. This isn't the only game I've seen this much bologna chewed over. Then (just for the King of examples) there is that OS we all try to run our games on that Still isn't rock stable and ready for reality. ........... Oh and Mr Nicholson - Don't bet on it.

I must say that while it IS frustrating to watch the promised release dates slide out of site in the rear view and that I'd really like to see some Official Matrix input here that, No!! I'm not planning on forgoing my copy of the game.

< Message edited by Skip_Reed -- 10/1/2007 9:40:06 PM >

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 39
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/25/2007 7:20:38 AM   
EXRANPO

Folks,

Any truth in the rumour that there may (just may) be a (slight) delay in publishing the game because it all has to be written and the manuals reprinted to reflect a name change from HCCE 2005 to HCCE 2007 maybe 2008?

Just jokes - nice to everyone retaining their sense of humour.

Back in my time in the RAN it would have been a case of all leave would be stopped until the game was finished and morale improved...... the old RAN ethos - if the Navy had of wanted you to have a wife and family they would have ISSUED you with a wife and family..............

Roger over under and out

Rod

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 40
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/25/2007 6:35:58 PM   
BlindOldUmp

quote:

ORIGINAL: EXRANPO

Folks,

Any truth in the rumour that there may (just may) be a (slight) delay in publishing the game because it all has to be written and the manuals reprinted to reflect a name change from HCCE 2005 to HCCE 2007 maybe 2008?

Just jokes - nice to everyone retaining their sense of humour.

Back in my time in the RAN it would have been a case of all leave would be stopped until the game was finished and morale improved...... the old RAN ethos - if the Navy had of wanted you to have a wife and family they would have ISSUED you with a wife and family..............

Roger over under and out

Rod

Jokes ??? Do we know any jokes - I thought we were all humorless automatons around here. I did hear a couple of rumours though: Name is supposed to be "HC3 - 2010 and Beyond! " The other rumor I heard though was that they were changing the picture on the front cover to reflect the new realities:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blosamacarpet.htm - Whoops - wrong picture - that's supposed to be king George II in front - sorry :-(

Anyway - On the North Coast that saying is "The Beatings will CONTINUE until morale improves". but I'm sure it's more fun down there running around all kittywampus

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Skip_Reed -- 9/25/2007 6:46:37 PM >

(in reply to EXRANPO)
Post #: 41
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/26/2007 10:59:57 AM   
EXRANPO

Skip,

I did think to use the "beatings" thing (we do know the saying down here) but on reflection decided that we are talking about game programmers here and they would probably enjoy a good beating rahter than it being a deterent or an incentive to push to finish the game for release.........

I guess one of things that concerns me with the deafening silence from Matrix is the ghost of games past - eg Harpoon 4 - sorta all fell over......

I do feel sorry for the guys that put the game together..........

Cheers and beers,

Rod

Post #: 42
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/26/2007 9:46:40 PM   
ibeam81

From the Matrix Newsletter that came out yesterday:

We've got some pretty rad titles lined up for October. Right now, we're tentatively planning on releasing Harpoon: Commander's Edition, John Tiller's Battleground Civil War, and John Tiller's Battlegrounds of the Napoleonic Wars in the coming weeks.

(in reply to EXRANPO)
Post #: 43
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/27/2007 9:22:51 AM   
NefariousKoel

I'm gonna have to rob a bank.

(in reply to ibeam81)
Post #: 44
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/27/2007 3:36:00 PM   
BlindOldUmp

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Now Now Now...... You've had plenty of warning. You should have been able to save the necessary from pennies picked up off the street!

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 45
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/27/2007 8:37:42 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skip_Reed

quote:

Now Now Now...... You've had plenty of warning. You should have been able to save the necessary from pennies picked up off the street!

The pennies that the old lady dropped when I hit her in the head and took her purse!

Post #: 46
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/28/2007 12:12:40 PM   
Bungle

One hundred thousand two hundred and thirty three green bottles sitting on the wall, one hundred thousand two hundred and thirty three thousand green bottles on the wall and if one green bottle should accidently fall...............

what?

The Bungle

"As so often happens, it's the self-proclaimed
peacemakers that you really have to watch out for."

Post #: 47
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/28/2007 1:55:45 PM   
EXRANPO

Bungle

Do I pick up just a little bit of a cynical outlook there?

Or maybe I am just gettin old.......

Rod

(in reply to Bungle)
Post #: 48
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/28/2007 3:14:37 PM   
BlindOldUmp

Rod - How could you think that - Old - .... ????? What - are you over 4500 ???? Still not as old as Lazarus Long I bet, much less Mo (OT Reference)
He's only slightly impatient now that Fall is here and the Christmas Shopping season is upon us ...

< Message edited by Skip_Reed -- 9/28/2007 11:40:07 PM >

(in reply to EXRANPO)
Post #: 49
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/28/2007 3:16:40 PM   
Bungle

quote:

ORIGINAL: EXRANPO
Do I pick up just a little bit of a cynical outlook there?

Or maybe I am just gettin old.......

Never too old Rod, never too old. Just sing along and it will be here soon enough!

The Bungle is never cynical, pragmatist is all! Cynicism is for the week of database and paltry of scenario.....

Besides I got a ****e load of tiddle your winks riding on a november release date so take your time boys, take your time, gotta get it right now you hear

muahahahaaa millions of tiddle the winks and their all mine I can almost see their gleaming plasticky goodness

The Bungle

(in reply to EXRANPO)
Post #: 50
RE: The Countdown begins! - 9/29/2007 1:10:56 AM   
BlindOldUmp

Is it Monday yet ???

(in reply to uncleharpoon)
Post #: 51
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/1/2007 3:42:09 PM   
BlindOldUmp

One hundred thousand one hundred and thirty three green bottles sitting on the wall, one hundred thousand one hundred and thirty three thousand green bottles on the wall and if one green bottle should accidently fall...............

after all - It IS Monday ........

(in reply to Bungle)
Post #: 52
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/2/2007 1:22:38 PM   
mack2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skip_Reed

quote:

The pennies that the old lady dropped when I hit her in the head and took her purse!

I'm paying for it by recylcing aluminium cans. 5c a can.

Post #: 53
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/2/2007 8:58:51 PM   
dyoox01

We're now in October. Any official date for the release? I've been eagerly waiting since June :(

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 54
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/3/2007 12:18:45 AM   
Bungle

quote:

I'm paying for it by recylcing aluminium cans. 5c a can.

5c a can....... hmmm that narrows things down

Did you empty the cans yourself? Westend Draught or coke of the cola type (symbol of free west, nyet?)

'one hundred thousand and twenty two green bottles sitting on the wall..........'

The Bungle

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 55
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/3/2007 5:53:03 PM   
tblersch

Same official release data we've been getting since June: "Soon".

Still better schedule management than my client, who three months ago scheduled a Sept 30 release of an application and announced last Friday that the application was released, prompting me to ask then "Were you planning to write it any time soon?" I LOVE government contracting.

(in reply to Bungle)
Post #: 56
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/5/2007 3:30:25 PM   
mack2

Game be out for Christmas?

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 57
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/5/2007 3:53:52 PM   
Divefreak

quote:

Game be out for Christmas?

Definitly.

It will be X-mass for us when the game gets published.....

< Message edited by Divefreak -- 10/5/2007 3:56:19 PM >

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 58
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/6/2007 10:03:55 AM   
EXRANPO

Folks,

Think i've said it before - no one at Matrix is listening - and even if they are they are certainly not responding to anyone's request for a release date - it would appear that they will get to it when they get to it and until then are happy to bury their heads in the sand and pretend we don't exist - what a great way to treat customers!

Or maybe we will get another load of c**p about delays in printing of manuals etc that are beyond their control.

Methinks I will return to watching my new copy of the Battle of River Plate - an oldie but a goodie with real warships with real guns......

over and out

Rod

(in reply to Divefreak)
Post #: 59
RE: The Countdown begins! - 10/6/2007 10:56:31 AM   
Bungle

Ahhhhh love is a warm cruiser v cruiser dvd eh? a handful of cl's and the odd ca.....

I agree it would do well for agsi to at least pay lip service to the forum, speaking purely from a busy nest point of view?

Then again, when you can count on a somewhat captive market the niceties of service are allowed (unfortunately) to slide, not a criticism nor defense just an observation. Its a bit of an art, being the company mouthpiece, you control very little and are expected to deliver answers to all and sundry. Still it would be nice to have a bit of berley tossed our way ocassionally, you know "feed the chooks". (chooks exranpo, proverbial "works and spanner" terminology for non oz's)

Personally I haved aimed low and expect to score a kill on the timing front ........call it a deja vu thing.............

one hundred thousand green bottles sitting on the wall and if one green bottle ................

The Bungle

(in reply to EXRANPO)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> RE: The Countdown begins! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI