Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wishlist for next Steel Panthers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 8/30/2007 8:50:38 AM   
Manticore

If the rumors are true, and there is indeed the next Steel Panthers in the makings right now, shouldn't we come up with a wishlist on the slim chance that we can somehow influence the development process?

Post #: 1
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 8/30/2007 10:06:27 PM   
sami heimola

Hmm SP4 coming? Really? I bit doubt it but sounds good anyway...

And what comes to list of features... How about these:
1. Ability to play "from up to down direction" and vice versa
2. Ability use V-flags as WinSPWW2 has ("shotgun" effect all over the map)
3. Ability remove V-flags (player could use just 1 flag if he/she wants in battle generator)
4. More different sizes for maps (as WinSPWW2 has)
5. More points for getting units (65000 points max as WinSPWW2 has)
6. More variable kinds of terrains
7. More map editing abilities for player (as WinSPWW2 has)

These came into my mind at this moment... 

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 2
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 8/31/2007 8:41:45 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

Hmm SP4 coming? Really? I bit doubt it but sounds good anyway...

sami,

There is a rumor going around...

See third post from the bottom, here:

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20

Just a rumor, mind you...

Goblin

(in reply to sami heimola)
Post #: 3
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/1/2007 8:34:04 AM   
Manticore

My wishlist:

Graphics
- top-down view; nothing 3D
- more crisp, detailed terrain and units
- support higher resolution

Gameplay
- much smarter AI that doesn't just throw its units at you and try to win through attrition
- support for a wide variety of nations as in SPWAW
- detailed unit stats as in SPWAW
- I also think it would be neat if sound has a greater effect on gameplay; for example, just as dust cloud over
a road should be able to signal the arrival of an enemy force, the roaring sound of tanks should give the
defenders the general location of approaching enemy units.
- campaign system similar to the one in SPWAW
- have rarity apply to unit replacement; it shouldn't be so easy to replace destroyed units
- a better multiplayer system

Etc
- encyclopedia with accurate and complete entries

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/1/2007 9:04:51 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Manticore,

Was not some of this all ready done in other mods?

KED

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 5
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/1/2007 11:00:57 AM   
Manticore

The Enhanced mod did make the graphics more crisp, but they of course had to work with the engine limitation so there is no higher resolution. And Enhanced did fix bugs/errors, but the AI routine is hardcoded so they could not improve it.

Hmm... actually they might have improved it a bit by making the AI keep some reserves in the back. Not sure.

< Message edited by Manticore -- 9/1/2007 11:01:28 AM >

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 6
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/1/2007 4:13:09 PM   
sami heimola

Heh "Steel Tigers" ... Hmm SP with Combat Leader's graphics? Why not. It could be interesting to see...

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 7
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/1/2007 4:38:20 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manticore

The Enhanced mod did make the graphics more crisp, but they of course had to work with the engine limitation so there is no higher resolution. And Enhanced did fix bugs/errors, but the AI routine is hardcoded so they could not improve it.

Hmm... actually they might have improved it a bit by making the AI keep some reserves in the back. Not sure.

We worked on improving the AIs forces, but we did not have the ability to effect how the AI plays the game..

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 8
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/1/2007 7:30:12 PM   
Manticore

A better title would be "When the Steel Felines Pounce!" It would include both the Tiger and the Panther then.

Post #: 9
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/3/2007 9:52:55 PM   
Oldguard1970

Great news about the rumor!

Wish List Items:

A.  The game should be designed with higher limits on formations, units, and map size.  (I know some people like large scenarios and some do not, but I would like to see the option for large scenarios be available.)

B.  It would be neat to have something like the "campaign watcher" utility built into the game.  (I would like to be able to "follow" the progress of certain units and leaders in campaigns.)

C.  When playing with "Command & Control Off" there seems to be no advantage to maintaining unit integrity.  (Perhaps there is and I have missed it.)  I would like to see some sort of advantages for units that are close to their "zero unit".  Disadvantages for being too far away would have the same effect.  The distance could vary by formation type and quality.

D.  Along the same lines, I would like to see the A0 commander have a greater impact on play.  (As things stand now, I tend to use my A0 unit to try to keep indirect fire units in communication.  I would rather see the commander going forward to influence the action.)

E.  After a few battles in most campaigns, I wind up with a large stockpile of repair and replacement points. Perhaps there should be an upper limit to the ability to save these points.  Alternatively, perhaps the cost to change a unit (rather than repair a damaged unit or replace a destroyed unit with a duplicate unit) should be higher, perhaps double or triple the unit's cost.

F.  One supply truck can replenish a large number of adjacent units in the same turn.  That capacity should be limited.

G.  I know it is hard to make a strong AI.  Hooray for any efforts in that direction.  As a small suggestion, I would like to see the game award the AI a few small combat teams in addition to whatever the AI is doing now. 
   When the AI is attacking or advancing, those small teams would consist of an armor section or platoon plus an infantry platoon.  They would be given random terrain objectives in the enemy rear.  Upon reaching those objectives, they would get new terrain objectives based on the location of identified indirect fire units or based on the largest and closest pockets of identified enemy forces.
    When the AI is defending or delaying, the teams could be Infantry platoons supported by AT guns and local mine fields.  The AI should also be given several infantry AT teams to serve as anti-armor ambushes.  These teams and anti-armor ambushes should be positioned forward of the AI's main line of resistance.

I would also like to see the AI sometimes counterattack while on defense or delay.  This would happen based on a random number check.  If the AI is to counterattack, then it is given an attack force that will enter as a reinforcement and conduct an attack toward the victory hexes.  I imagine the number of turns for the battle should also be extended, but not reported to the human player.

H.  OnLine Play - Right now, even if both players save a game to the same slot at the same point in the game, they cannot quit and latter resume online play unless one player emails files to the other.  (Without the email step, the game does not think both players have the same saved game.)  It would be nice to fix that situation.

I.  Strange Opportunity Fire -  In online play with my opponent, we sometimes see a strange even when a unit is given the option to opportunity fire at an advancing enemy unit.  When we execute the fire, the unit conducting opportunity fire sometimes does not shoot at the advancing enemy unit.  Instead, it shoots at the last targeted enemy unit. We would like to see that corrected.

All the best to the fine folks who have produced such a grand game.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 10
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/4/2007 2:23:32 PM   
m10bob

1.(NUMBER ONE). Windows compatibility to end the graphic/color problems caused by an excellent old engine living past its' technological prime like a genteel old lady.

2. An extra button to allow vehicle facing when retreating.(Ability to back up and not be forced to take hits on the weak rear.) This will end Panthers getting side hits and other cheap shots when out-numbered 6 to 1........

3. Music track thruout as an option..

4. The same great crowd which once hung out here.......

5. More vehicle slots so we can have all of those tanks which had field expedient armor/applique attachments. (Some folks don't even know the Germans made them in their factories for nearly every tank after the Mk III)!

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 11
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/6/2007 4:08:53 PM   
koju

"Steel Tigers". For me this is Very good news. 

My wishlist is.

1. Sp:Waw kind scenario editor or even better, random maps etc.
2. Option to deploy selected units to random locations, like in Fred Chlanda's WAW Ed's position/property editor.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 12
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/9/2007 1:03:04 AM   
Krec

i just want my planes to complete the mission i give them

also tweak CC so its more relistic

and hurry up and make this game so we can play it online

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to koju)
Post #: 13
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/10/2007 1:12:13 PM   
serg3d

Pluggable AI dll. Open API for AI.

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 14
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 9/10/2007 10:33:09 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

Heh "Steel Tigers" ... Hmm SP with Combat Leader's graphics? Why not. It could be interesting to see...

If people choose to believe it, that's their business...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 15
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/10/2008 8:31:32 AM   
khairshapiee

add Malay regiment in British OOB... with Malay name also.. :) Please..

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.secondworldwarhistory.com/imgs/ju87-stukad.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/11/2008 1:34:38 AM   
V22 Osprey

Things I would like to see:
The ability to tell what kind of Terrain(Desert,Jungle,etc) in the Battle Generator
Better Graphics but not 3D
Be able to use custom maps in Campaign Generator
More Countries and have the USMC as a ''Sub'' faction in USA rather than as a seperate Nation
More Terrain Types
Have custom graphics and buildings come up as a thumbnail pics on the screen you can select for faster editing.
Trenches be purchasable in deployment(like mines and barb wire) as well as in editor.
No WinSPWW2 type crap.

(in reply to khairshapiee)
Post #: 17
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/11/2008 5:20:29 PM   
Kuokkanen

After scenario, export surviving units to file with all gained experience and stuff, and use that file for another scenario. Imagine possibilities that would open for ACL and the likes...

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 18
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/13/2008 1:35:51 AM   
DROregon

My list (some items already mentioned)
1.  Upgrade to Windows (Vista) and Mac, especially graphics, to eliminate the neon effect.
2.  Fix Smoke
3.  Continue the open architecture and available editors (Campaigns, Scenarios, Maps, OOBs, Storylines, Encyclopedias, etc)
4.  Incorporate Campaign Watcher type info status as we progress through campaigns.
5.  Do whatever you can to improve the AI

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 19
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/13/2008 2:54:14 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

5.  Do whatever you can to improve the AI

Frak,that should be no. 1.

quote:

1. Upgrade to Windows (Vista) and Mac, especially graphics, to eliminate the neon effect.

We're talking atleast 2 years in the future here.....VISTA and maybe MAC should be standard issue for games by then.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 7/13/2008 2:59:13 AM >

(in reply to DROregon)
Post #: 20
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/13/2008 2:56:37 AM   
V22 Osprey

One thing to add to my list:

KEEP I repeat KEEP the Battle and Campaign Generator.These 2 features really add to replayability.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 21
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/13/2008 7:31:40 AM   
Zap

A rumor? Sales of Generals Edition seems to pace along, even today. Why not? A SP4 ,Its a good rumor even if its not true.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 22
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/13/2008 6:20:07 PM   
DROregon

Yeah, you're right. Improving the AI should be # 1.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 23
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/15/2008 11:21:27 PM   
Swamprat

Work on the gamey loopholes:-
1. Make dismounting troops trigger opfire (like SPWW2)
2. Opfire on tank riders with non-AT weapons
3. Make smoke more variable and less predictable and forcefield-like
4. Remove ability to fire smoke once shots used up
5. Show wind direction and introduce wind strength (faster smoke dissipation sometimes)
6. Priorities for opfire (i.e. tanks only or infantry only, etc)
7. Reduce smoke grenades to WW2 levels.

Make C&C less robotic and more realistic. Introduce waypoints. Increase number of orders when in radio contact with company or battalion command. Allow vehicles to pull back a hex or two after dropping guns without using orders.

Increase arty delay times - too responsive at the moment. Get rid of US 0.1 delay!

More trigger points for designers to use for AI to make it responsive, rather than use up VHs. Make waypoints work for the AI so it uses terrain better in designed scenarios.

Make VCR in PBEM see movement, not just weapon firing (like online play). Troops don't forget what they just saw just because a unit finished the turn out of sight.

Allow AI speculative artillery fire near where movement was spotted. Let AI target onboard artillery for counterbattery.

Let each AI unit fire during it's movement if enemy spotted, rather than move all the AI units first (and all get suppressed) then deciding to do all firing afterwards.

Reduce visibility and opfire ability for turretless vehicles against targets on flanks - no more spinning StuGs of death.

Reduce ability to see right through 150m of trees at 35 vis and above. Lets have 3000m engagement ranges (occasionally) without the weird LOS effects.

Allow troops to re-embark on landing craft without taking along their own wooden bridge.

Aircraft pilot that plant bombs on infantry positions without getting distracted by the first truck that winks at them.

Wishful thinking? Of course! Bring it on!

[IMG]http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k436/Swamprat98/need_help_3_126.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to DROregon)
Post #: 24
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/18/2008 5:30:43 PM   
Nikademus

Several items i'd love to see:

1) seperate delay timer settings for messages reporting AFV and Arty fire.

I love to be able to see the rich detail displays here, which of course include the location hit, base % and very importantly....penetration vs. adjusted armor. Unfortunately to see this info properly one must set a large msg delay which makes getting through the morass of small arms fire a timely process making game turns extremely long for the larger battles. Right now the only recourse is for players to turn the delay down or off completely to speed up turns which then denies you any info whatsoever.

2) Tweaking of rout/retreat rules.

I have always thought this was one area where SP:WW2 has WAW beat. Thx to all the various rally/pinning actions/op fire rules, INF units tend to stick close to where they start a turn which leads to bloody decimation of units. In SPWW2, the greater tendancy is for INF units to be routed out positions but intact enough that they can eventually rally and set up new positions with sufficient men remaining to be combat viable.

3) Tweaking of entrenched positions. WAW, using the SP-3 engine (heavily modified) still seems very bloody for soft targets.....see little difference in protection from a INF unit moving or in open terrain vs one entrenched. Makes them fairly easy to snuff out of their positions. (right now only counter is to greatly turn up INF toughness)

4) Improved representation of SPG/fixed turret AFV's vs. turreted AFV's

The famous 180 degree swivel effect of Assault guns and fixed turret Tank destroyers. There seems little penalty for choosing between the two. Ideally it should be much easier to flank them due to the need to move the entire tank vs. just the turret. At the very least the # of shots remaining should be heavily penalized.

5) improved AI

nuff said.

6) more dyanmic campaign/battle generator.

It would be nice if AI OPFORCE generation could be more adapatible in long campaigns for player core battle force that tends to get stronger and stronger as campaign progresses due to exp gains and such. Tends to make later battles far too easy. An optional button here would be helpful.

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 25
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/18/2008 5:49:22 PM   
Guynumber7

1.SSM's
2. Chemicial weapons (maybe nukes)
3. better graphics.
4. bigger explosions.
5. better ai i guess.
6. more animations
7. more sound fx.

< Message edited by Guynumber7 -- 7/18/2008 5:50:02 PM >

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 26
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/19/2008 12:54:18 PM   
dje

I wish you quit pretending this is going to happen. Damn Im salty!

< Message edited by dje -- 7/19/2008 1:07:56 PM >

I will see you on the beach!

(in reply to Manticore)
Post #: 27
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/19/2008 5:32:27 PM   
m10bob

Wishlist?...Hmmm.......I would like night illumination from mortar rounds and adjacent hexes being lit up by fires in a somewhat less abstract manner.

Gosh...I love all the improvements the mods at SPWAW.com have done for the game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 7/19/2008 5:35:43 PM >

(in reply to dje)
Post #: 28
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/20/2008 4:41:27 AM   
JEB Davis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
1) seperate delay timer settings for messages reporting AFV and Arty fire.

I love to be able to see the rich detail displays here, which of course include the location hit, base % and very importantly....penetration vs. adjusted armor. Unfortunately to see this info properly one must set a large msg delay which makes getting through the morass of small arms fire a timely process making game turns extremely long for the larger battles. Right now the only recourse is for players to turn the delay down or off completely to speed up turns which then denies you any info whatsoever.

For this you can turn on logging (Alt-L) and then check the combat.txt file for the details. Not the greatest solution, but it works. I like your idea of separate settings for the messages.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 29
RE: Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? - 7/20/2008 4:43:09 AM   
JEB Davis

I second all of this:
quote:

ORIGINAL: Swamprat

Work on the gamey loopholes:-
1. Make dismounting troops trigger opfire (like SPWW2)
2. Opfire on tank riders with non-AT weapons
3. Make smoke more variable and less predictable and forcefield-like
4. Remove ability to fire smoke once shots used up
5. Show wind direction and introduce wind strength (faster smoke dissipation sometimes)
6. Priorities for opfire (i.e. tanks only or infantry only, etc)
7. Reduce smoke grenades to WW2 levels.

Make C&C less robotic and more realistic. Introduce waypoints. Increase number of orders when in radio contact with company or battalion command. Allow vehicles to pull back a hex or two after dropping guns without using orders.

Increase arty delay times - too responsive at the moment. Get rid of US 0.1 delay!

More trigger points for designers to use for AI to make it responsive, rather than use up VHs. Make waypoints work for the AI so it uses terrain better in designed scenarios.

Make VCR in PBEM see movement, not just weapon firing (like online play). Troops don't forget what they just saw just because a unit finished the turn out of sight.

Allow AI speculative artillery fire near where movement was spotted. Let AI target onboard artillery for counterbattery.

Let each AI unit fire during it's movement if enemy spotted, rather than move all the AI units first (and all get suppressed) then deciding to do all firing afterwards.

Reduce visibility and opfire ability for turretless vehicles against targets on flanks - no more spinning StuGs of death.

Reduce ability to see right through 150m of trees at 35 vis and above. Lets have 3000m engagement ranges (occasionally) without the weird LOS effects.

Allow troops to re-embark on landing craft without taking along their own wooden bridge.

Aircraft pilot that plant bombs on infantry positions without getting distracted by the first truck that winks at them.

Wishful thinking? Of course! Bring it on!

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Swamprat)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Wishlist for next Steel Panthers? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI