Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 10/5/2007 5:33:18 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit
..leave out a complete hex leaves a gap, usable by infantry, and riverine seem capable of climbing escarp across a river..

Did you even read Colin's post? You don't have to leave out a complete hex; just make it so the river in one hex doesn't meet the one in the next. Still has the same effect on combat and movement- but riverine units are stopped. Works- trust me.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 91
RE: Defending a river line - 10/5/2007 7:31:49 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright
Really, they're only relevant if one happens to be modelling warfare on a planet that has large bodies of water.

The reasoning, is, as I have said, to some extent circular. OPART can't handle naval warfare very well, so most scenarios avoid subjects where naval warfare was critical to the outcome. Really, the program can only handle subjects (a) where naval warfare is absent or at least peripheral, or (b) where the same side has both air and naval supremacy.

Imagine if OPART couldn't handle large bodies of armor very well -- so scenario designers start avoiding campaigns where large bodies of armor were critical. Would we then be able to classify adequate simulation of armor as 'way down the list'?

Contrast with supply. List campaigns in the 20th century in which supply was not a significant concern. List campaigns in the 20th century in which naval matters were not a significant concern.

Both are important- but it's clear which is number one.

Well, rather than quibble, I'll certainly grant that improvements to naval warfare should be number two after supply. However, number two is not 'half-way down the list.'

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 92
RE: Defending a river line - 10/5/2007 7:31:53 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

. . . stretches the engine too far and makes it impossible to co-ordinate at the large scale.

Actually, just the opposite seems to be true. The player has complete visibility and control of the force, and is able to coordinate unit activities as though there was perfect communications among units hundreds of miles apart. This is one of the same problems that was pointed out about pre 20th century scenarios.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 93
RE: Defending a river line - 10/5/2007 7:34:33 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

. . . stretches the engine too far and makes it impossible to co-ordinate at the large scale.

Actually, just the opposite seems to be true. The player has complete visibility and control of the force, and is able to coordinate unit activities as though there was perfect communications among units hundreds of miles apart. This is one of the same problems that was pointed out about pre 20th century scenarios.

Regards, RhinoBones

Butr in modern life, commanders are able to do this. Look at the respective timing of the attacks on the Gustav Line, Operation Overlord, and Bagration. They were able to coordinate these quite nicely.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 94
RE: Defending a river line - 10/5/2007 7:45:41 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke
Do I really have to provide examples to illustrate that this is not a distortion .

Hexsides range from 2.5km to 50km. Those are huge lengths. Forces aren't going to generally be all neatly on one side. They will be mixed. Once in a while they will be, but that will be the exception. Then there is the distortion just from fitting the river to the hexsides.

quote:

I had to look the word transverse up but still didn't really get this. The directions you move in are essentially governed by the hex system. Whilst it would be true to say that sitting on a river hex allows you to attack of it in three different directions sometimes, that would be possible with hex sides in many circumstances as well, and more importantly, river combat crossing were not done laterally. People went across at the shortest point.

Horizontal to the river. If the river meanders then the bends in the river would provide a defensive benefit against attacks horizontal to the river. Modeled with river hexes, not with river hexsides.

quote:

How are rivers not a significant operational factor? If they aren't having an effect on operations, why have any rules regarding operational factors like movement and combat in relation to rivers.

They do have an effect. It just isn't as significant as you want to make it, at the operational level. Think of all the Allied concern about crossing the Rhine. Yet, when the Allies were finally in position to take their offensive beyond it, it was easily crossed in multiple places. It was overrated as a defensive barrier.

quote:

Well, this concerns me not, since we're not going to have an "updated and enhanced" version of TOAW if all we do is tinker. At some point, the "hard to implement" stuff is surely going to have to be tackled.

Sure, but cost/benefit concerns have to be met.

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 95
RE: Defending a river line - 10/5/2007 8:13:35 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Hexsides range from 2.5km to 50km. Those are huge lengths. Forces aren't going to generally be all neatly on one side. They will be mixed. Once in a while they will be, but that will be the exception. Then there is the distortion just from fitting the river to the hexsides.

To be fair, in all senses except the aesthetic the river is distorted just as much by being fitted to the hex as to the hex side. In either case, it's being frgmarched to a point that can be up to half the hex-scale from its true location.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 96
RE: Defending a river line - 10/5/2007 8:22:11 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

They do have an effect. It just isn't as significant as you want to make it, at the operational level. Think of all the Allied concern about crossing the Rhine. Yet, when the Allies were finally in position to take their offensive beyond it, it was easily crossed in multiple places. It was overrated as a defensive barrier.

I'm inclined to agree. Particularly as designers often seem to be unable to resist the temptation to put in rivers regardless of whether they are in fact significant military obstacles.

Jeremy doesn't seem to mind criticism, so I'll use his Fall Grau as an example. The Rio Grande is a river at Albuquerque. Now, is the Rio Grande at Albuquerque a militarily significant obstacle -- particularly at 50 km/hex and weekly turns? The answer would have to be a resounding no.

I suspect that often, rivers serve as much as psychological stop lines as much as real barriers. Take the Dyle. One internet search and one can see that this 'river' wasn't going to do much to impede anyone. It was just a convenient point for everyone to orient themselves to. Is this the Dyle and is 2 Yorkshire to our left? Then we're in the right place.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 97
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 12:21:57 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

Do I really have to provide examples to illustrate that this is not a distortion .

quote:

Hexsides range from 2.5km to 50km. Those are huge lengths. Forces aren't going to generally be all neatly on one side.

All forces will be neatly on one side until someone attacks across it, which is exactly the poiint, you don't have to attack across it currently to achieve that "mixed" status.

quote:

They will be mixed.

But since they presumably started on different sides, can you tell me what IRL is the pre-requisite for the sides getting "mixed".

quote:

Once in a while they will be, but that will be the exception.

Would you like some examples of where everyone was on one side or the other until the pre-requisite mentioned above?

quote:

Then there is the distortion just from fitting the river to the hexsides.

What distortion?

quote:

I had to look the word transverse up but still didn't really get this. The directions you move in are essentially governed by the hex system. Whilst it would be true to say that sitting on a river hex allows you to attack of it in three different directions sometimes, that would be possible with hex sides in many circumstances as well, and more importantly, river combat crossing were not done laterally. People went across at the shortest point.

quote:

Horizontal to the river. If the river meanders then the bends in the river would provide a defensive benefit against attacks horizontal to the river. Modeled with river hexes, not with river hexsides.

But one minute you're telling us everyone is on both sides, then rivers are operationally underrated, then the scale we are operating at makes rivers not operationally all that much, but now we have to have rivers meandering through hexes so we can cater for "bends" which is about as micro and tactical as it gets. You surely can't expect to have it both ways.

quote:

How are rivers not a significant operational factor? If they aren't having an effect on operations, why have any rules regarding operational factors like movement and combat in relation to rivers.

quote:

Well, with the greatest of respect, you're starting to make this stuff up. The Rhine was easily crossed because the Germans didn't have the necessary forces to defend it. Are you suggesting the Rhine would have been easily crossed in numerous places if 500 000 more Germans had been emplaced behind it?

When the Germans entered Belgium, the French defended along the Meuse and advanbced into Belgium attempting to get into position behind the Dyle.

When the Germans drove the British into the sea, what was left of the french attempted to defend along the Somme.

The Russians finally stopped the Germans on the Volga. After the Stalingrad counterattack, the Germans fought heavy battles along the Chir. After Kursk, the SS PanzerKorps fought heavy actions along the Mius. The russians handed out medals galore to anyone who could get across the Dniepr before the Germans could man it properly.

After that the Germans defended the Bug et al.

In the north, the Germans defended the Vistula and then the Oder.

Market Garden threw 3 divisions of elite troops into enemy territory precisely because rivers and canals were very important at the operational level and they wanted to try and pre-empt that.

Rivers are about as significant as it gets. If they weren't why does everybody generally seek the safety of any available banks when choosing where to defend?

With respect, you've very wrong.

quote:

Well, this concerns me not, since we're not going to have an "updated and enhanced" version of TOAW if all we do is tinker. At some point, the "hard to implement" stuff is surely going to have to be tackled.

quote:

Sure, but cost/benefit concerns have to be met.

What cost benefit concerns?

Respect and regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 98
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 12:40:37 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

I'm inclined to agree. Particularly as designers often seem to be unable to resist the temptation to put in rivers regardless of whether they are in fact significant military obstacles.

Jeremy doesn't seem to mind criticism, so I'll use his Fall Grau as an example. The Rio Grande is a river at Albuquerque. Now, is the Rio Grande at Albuquerque a militarily significant obstacle -- particularly at 50 km/hex and weekly turns? The answer would have to be a resounding no.

I suspect that often, rivers serve as much as psychological stop lines as much as real barriers. Take the Dyle. One internet search and one can see that this 'river' wasn't going to do much to impede anyone. It was just a convenient point for everyone to orient themselves to. Is this the Dyle and is 2 Yorkshire to our left? Then we're in the right place.

Rather than Dyle, you should have typed in Rapido.

All rivers are significant military obstacles if the forces exist to defend them. The majority of them preclude the use of armour, make patrolling or recce problematic, force attacking commanders to gamble and risk losing big, allow defenders to concentrate available combat power against vulnerable bridgeheads and therefore bring everything their outnumbered force has to the real focal point of the party, they prevent an attacker making their overwhelming numbers really tell, generally buy defending sides some breathing space whilst preparations to attack are made.

They are arguably the most significant geographical feature exerting an influence on warfare. Mountains and high ground are the possible exception, but mountains are less frequent.

Rivers are always operationally significant if defended. Thermopylae pass wasn't operationally significant until a group of Guys with shields turned up to defend it.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 99
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 1:33:58 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rather than Dyle, you should have typed in Rapido.

All rivers are significant military obstacles if the forces exist to defend them.

No...I should have typed in 'Dyle.' I didn't say 'no rivers are significant military obstacles,' just that some are not -- like the Dyle, which serves to illustrate my point admirably. Your statement that 'all rivers are significant military obstacles' is indefensible, frankly.

The Dyle.

And please don't post a shot of the Rapido. That some rivers are indeed significant military obstacles is not a point that I am disputing.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/6/2007 1:38:25 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 100
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 3:04:17 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

Regards, RhinoBones

..lower force prof, and do the same with the communications setting and electronic support level, throw in some change formation orders, repeated, suddenly you no longer have perfect communications and command..

..you can still see the units but not always do a lot with them..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 101
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 3:10:32 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Regards, RhinoBones

..lower force prof, and do the same with the communications setting and electronic support level, throw in some change formation orders, repeated, suddenly you no longer have perfect communications and command..

Now work out how to make them do the opposite of what you want, and convince you they're somewhere other than where they are, and you'll really be cooking with gas.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/6/2007 6:14:40 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 102
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 3:21:43 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..leave out a complete hex leaves a gap, usable by infantry, and riverine seem capable of climbing escarp across a river..

Did you even read Colin's post? You don't have to leave out a complete hex; just make it so the river in one hex doesn't meet the one in the next. Still has the same effect on combat and movement- but riverine units are stopped. Works- trust me.

..it works, but only with super-river if ground units aren't to cross the hex..

..thank you, a nice trick

Post #: 103
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 3:26:29 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Regards, RhinoBones

Now work out how to make them do the opposite of what you want, and convince you they're womewhere other than where they are, and you'll really be cooking with gas.

..ya gotta see Ralph for those wishes. the first is elephants and being worked on, the second is a new wish, useful tho, maybe a setting in the EvEd that acts on the screen display like recon level..

Post #: 104
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 3:31:41 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

..hex size, turn length scenario period and army composition all count..

..otherwise, yup..

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 10/6/2007 3:34:32 AM >

Post #: 105
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 6:09:42 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

..it works, but only with super-river if ground units aren't to cross the hex..

That's true of rivers in general. Ground units can cross them.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 106
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 6:06:02 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

To be fair, in all senses except the aesthetic the river is distorted just as much by being fitted to the hex as to the hex side. In either case, it's being frgmarched to a point that can be up to half the hex-scale from its true location.

Correct. Both ways are distorting. That's what I'm trying to get Iron Duke to realize.

On second thought, I think I'll revise that. Throw a hexgrid over a map. All the rivers will fall in the hexes. Few, if any, will fall right on the hexsides. In the former, it's not being frogmarched anywhere - it's location is just not being specified more accurately than "somewhere snakeing around inside this hex".

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 10/6/2007 7:34:20 PM >

Post #: 107
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 6:27:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

All forces will be neatly on one side until someone attacks across it, which is exactly the poiint, you don't have to attack across it currently to achieve that "mixed" status.

Regardless of how, they will tend to be mixed. Think of it this way: Everything you can see in the operational macro sense on the TOAW map can also be occurring internal to the hex in the tactical micro sense.

quote:

Would you like some examples of where everyone was on one side or the other until the pre-requisite mentioned above?

I'm sure there were cases of that. It doesn't change that they were exceptions.

quote:

What distortion?

Seriously, you actually think that if you threw a hexgrid over a map, all the rivers would fall on the hexsides?

quote:

But one minute you're telling us everyone is on both sides, then rivers are operationally underrated, then the scale we are operating at makes rivers not operationally all that much, but now we have to have rivers meandering through hexes so we can cater for "bends" which is about as micro and tactical as it gets. You surely can't expect to have it both ways.

Neither can you. Neither method models all the tactical considerations.

quote:

Well, with the greatest of respect, you're starting to make this stuff up. The Rhine was easily crossed because the Germans didn't have the necessary forces to defend it. Are you suggesting the Rhine would have been easily crossed in numerous places if 500 000 more Germans had been emplaced behind it?

I made up the fact that the Rhine was easily crossed in multiple places in 1945? I don't think so.

quote:

Rivers are about as significant as it gets. If they weren't why does everybody generally seek the safety of any available banks when choosing where to defend?

I would say that Norm seems to agree with me. The defense factor for rivers is only a 30% reduction in attacker strength. Far less than, say, hills or towns.

quote:

I listed the cost concerns. In fact, I underrated them. It's since occurred to me that they're higher than I thought. Bridge blowing would erase the roads in two hexes. The "Bridge Destroyed" tiles we just made would have to be re-done. And TOAW doesn't actually have any true "hexside" features. What it does have are features that fall next to the hexside, but within the hex. To do true hexside features will require a paradigm shift.

And what are the benefits? Here it is: A 0.7 combat multiplier will be slightly revised as to where it is applied. And this won't impact a single existing scenario. It can only affect some future scenario yet to be constructed.

Post #: 108
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 8:02:37 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I would say that Norm seems to agree with me. The defense factor for rivers is only a 30% reduction in attacker strength. Far less than, say, hills or towns.

If my understanding of the program is correct, you're wrong here. The multiplier offered by hills and towns can also be achieved by digging in -- in essence, these features just accelerate the achievement of a defense multiplier. Once you're dug in, the only benefit I'm aware of is that the defender is less likely to have the MP's to advance into the hex if his attack is successful.

Rivers, on the other hand, offer a bonus that operates on top of that offered by digging in. In other words, a fortified unit won't acquire any further benefit by virtue of being on a hill -- but it will continue to benefit if the attacker is on a river hex.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/6/2007 9:17:16 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 109
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 8:15:09 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

And what are the benefits? Here it is: A 0.7 combat multiplier will be slightly revised as to where it is applied. And this won't impact a single existing scenario. It can only affect some future scenario yet to be constructed.

Yeah. I tend to see that as the main point. Let's have a knock-down, drag out fight over exactly what the change should be in some more significant area that more clearly calls for improvement. Hex-side rivers would be either a limited improvement or no improvement at all -- and seem likely to be hard to do. Kind of a lose-lose.

Besides, what's a 'river'? Obviously, what the effects should be vary accordingly. What we've got is a kind of generic body of water that models everything bigger than the creek out back that shouldn't be on the map at all but smaller than the Mississippi that should obviously be a super river. To use bodies of water I am familiar with, the OPART 'river' models everything from Hat Creek, which would indeed be hard to drive a truck across, to the Sacramento around Redding, which unquestionably is going to call for either ferries or several days of bridge building. Is the river in a canyon or out on flat ground? Cover along the banks? Lots of little bridges here and there or no? Fords? Fast or slow current? It's not like we're dealing with modeling something specific. What's involved in crossing such a feature and what defensive advantages it offers vary wildly. We're unlikely to be able to pick out one set of effects and say 'these are better than those.'

So let's stick with what we've got. Those look better.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 110
RE: Defending a river line - 10/6/2007 8:16:28 PM   
ColinWright

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/6/2007 9:15:48 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 111
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 2:14:31 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

No...I should have typed in 'Dyle.' I didn't say 'no rivers are significant military obstacles,' just that some are not -- like the Dyle, which serves to illustrate my point admirably. Your statement that 'all rivers are significant military obstacles' is indefensible, frankly.

I disagree. What is indefensible is twofold.

1. Quoting out of context for effect. I said all rivers are significant military obstacles if the forces exist to defend them.

2. Allowing a terrain feature with unparalleled effect on ground operations to be dysfunctional on the grounds that rivers look better in hexes than along hex sides.

My alert e-mail also suggested you also said (presumably pre-editing)

quote:

Take away the water and we've got a sunken roadway. Map those?

When is a river not a river?

Answer: When there's no water in it. I wouldn't map a sunken roadway because it isn't a river.

Showing a 20 yards stretch of the Dyle doesn't prove anything. We have a separate graphics tile for a stream, do we not? You're showing us a stretch of stream and using that to evidence the quite breathtaking supposition that every Military Commander from Manstein to Gamelin to Monty et al had it all wrong about water. The point is not that some rivers are significant military obstacles, but that most are. If I'd meant to include streams, I would have said so.

Trucks bearing supplies would have preferred a bridge rather than fording even this stretch. In Autumn or Spring, rains might have swelled it to make it impassable to tanks. Shallow banks may even have flooded, making assaults even slower etc.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 112
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 2:34:25 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

1. Quoting out of context for effect. I said all rivers are significant military obstacles if the forces exist to defend them.

That's also untrue: you can man the Dyle as heavily as you please: it's not going to be a significant factor in the outcome of the battle.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 113
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 2:35:30 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

We have a separate graphics tile for a stream, do we not?

Actually, we don't.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 114
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 2:37:19 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

Showing a 20 yards stretch of the Dyle doesn't prove anything. We have a separate graphics tile for a stream, do we not? You're showing us a stretch of stream and using that to evidence the quite breathtaking supposition that every Military Commander from Manstein to Gamelin to Monty et al had it all wrong about water.

Now what did I say that justifies that assertion? I have stated the obvious: not all rivers are significant military obstacles. You are trying to claim otherwise. Good luck.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 115
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 2:40:15 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Showing a 20 yards stretch of the Dyle doesn't prove anything. We have a separate graphics tile for a stream, do we not? You're showing us a stretch of stream and using that to evidence the quite breathtaking supposition that every Military Commander from Manstein to Gamelin to Monty et al had it all wrong about water.

Now what did I say that justifies that assertion? I have stated the obvious: not all rivers are significant military obstacles. You are trying to claim otherwise. Good luck.

You stated not all rivers are significant military obstacles and then produced a photo of a stream to prove the point.

I can tell the world the 88 was low velocity junk and prove it if I produce video evidence showing a 2LB er bouncing shells of a Tiger.

Post #: 116
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 3:03:59 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Regardless of how, they will tend to be mixed. Think of it this way: Everything you can see in the operational macro sense on the TOAW map can also be occurring internal to the hex in the tactical micro sense.

That is the entire point, they simply will not and indeed can not be mixed until someone attempts a crossing. Whether tactically, strategically, operationally or hillbillywilly, forces aren't mixed if they are on separate sides of the river. Trying to see things in this "macro operational" sense is just smoke and mirrors because the river provides a barrier between any interaction on whatever scale you want.

In your "macro operational" sense, you enter the river hex and are teleported instantly across the river even if you have no amphibious abilities or engineers available. Your entire Unit (at the "macro operational" scale sometimes a Corp strong) makes this miraculous journey and once across the river becomes vulnerable to counteratttack.

However, (and here's the fun bit) having entered the hex and having magically gotten across the river without the aid of engineers, our "macro operational" Wunder swimmers cross back to their own side in order to make a full scale assault. How else can we explain having to cross the river to attack the enemy but already be across it if the enemy attack you first?

It simply makes no sense. The only think making less sense are the attempts to defend it (with respect).

quote:

quote:

I'm sure there were cases of that. It doesn't change that they were exceptions.

Exceptions to what? I said everyone was on their own sides of the river until an assault crossing.

Semantically here, you're suggesting that (but for exceptions as yet unspecified) everyone was on one side or the other until the assault crossing. What exceptions? the only ones I can think of are where units flew over the river and parachuted onto the other side. this is catered for separately within the rules.

How can their be exceptions to this? Please name one so we can explore the mechanics.

quote:

What distortion?

quote:

Seriously, you actually think that if you threw a hexgrid over a map, all the rivers would fall on the hexsides?

No, of course not, but then single hills don't cover 50 square kilometres as they do on large scale maps for all intents and purposes. Since when have the maps been anything over than rough approximations? Why can we approximate everything except this.

Or let me turn the question around? Do you believe all rivers fall neatly in the middle of hexes?

quote:

quote:

Neither can you. Neither method models all the tactical considerations.

But one does. River hex sides put you on one side or the other until you use movement or aggressive action to get across. How is this different in any way to reality?

quote:

quote:

I made up the fact that the Rhine was easily crossed in multiple places in 1945? I don't think so.

Disingenuous (because you can't have misunderstood my point). What you made up was the cause of the effect. The Allies did get across in numerous places, but it had nothing to do with rivers being poor military obstacles, and everything to do with relative combat power.

quote:

quote:

Someone else has already disagreed with you, here, but without engineers you can't get across at all, supplies are poor without a bridge, I don't believe tac reserve works across a river and you're more vulnerable to counterattack than anywhere ese. Rivers are not just about the initial assault, TOAW models the rest of it as well.

quote:

quote:

I listed the cost concerns. In fact, I underrated them. It's since occurred to me that they're higher than I thought. Bridge blowing would erase the roads in two hexes.

But the roads wouldn't actually be going anywhere anyway would they since you'd blown the bridge. Besides, see below, we're having a Paradigm shift apparently, so why don't we just come up with dynamic hex sides. We could use the same coding to have better obstacles and fortifications in long term scenarios.

quote:

The "Bridge Destroyed" tiles we just made would have to be re-done.

Well, we can't have that, dysfunctional river hexes it is then.

quote:

And TOAW doesn't actually have any true "hexside" features. What it does have are features that fall next to the hexside, but within the hex. To do true hexside features will require a paradigm shift.

A paradigm shift? With respect, we're tinkering with a war game, not ditching Adam and Eve for Darwin.

Just have a bridge hexside feature on both sides "next to the hexside, but within the hex".

quote:

Incorrect. A 0.7 multiplier will be correctly applied; units on their own side of the river will not be attacked by the full weight of the enemy without the enemy paying the 0.7 muliplier factor. Units will not have to hold bridge hexes in exposed positions in order to prevent the enemy rebuilding it. Disengaging will be easier, units will not teleport across with Starfleet assistance;

The argument there are more important considerations I can accept, the argument "things should stay as they are because I like the look better" I can't and won't.

Even the first argument rings a little hollow to me given the real important considerations are yet to be considered, but plenty of less important ones already have.

Respect and regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 117
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 3:06:56 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

That's also untrue: you can man the Dyle as heavily as you please: it's not going to be a significant factor in the outcome of the battle.

Not on your 20 yard stretch unless it has been raining heavily, or it is heavily mined. However, how does treating us to a picture of a stream prove that rivers are not valid military obstacles. Give us a pic of the Dniepr, the Oder, the Rhine or the Rapido.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 118
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 3:09:24 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

We have a separate graphics tile for a stream, do we not?

Actually, we don't.

Okay, we don't, but somehow on my monitor, I can see little light blue things anyone can cross and more substantial looking dark blue things that no one can cross without engineers or a bridge. I've (rather colloquially by the looks of it) come to call these things streams and rivers.

Post #: 119
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 6:30:48 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not on your 20 yard stretch unless it has been raining heavily, or it is heavily mined. However, how does treating us to a picture of a stream prove that rivers are not valid military obstacles. Give us a pic of the Dniepr, the Oder, the Rhine or the Rapido.

Regards,
IronDuke

Why should I? I never claimed that no rivers were significant military obstacles; I merely claimed that not all were. You are the one trying to insist that 'all rivers are significant military obstacles if the forces exist to defend them.'

Here, I'll prove you're wrong another way. There's an anecdote about Schlieffen that's actually intended to demonstrate something else entirely, but it can be turned to account here. Schlieffen and some fellow officer were riding together on maneuvers. It was dawn, and the fellow officer pointed out the image of the sun rising over the River Pregel. Schlieffen glanced at the river and commented, 'an insignificant military obstacle.'

'river'...'insignificant military obstacle.' All rivers are not significant military obstacles. Of course they're not. Some are insignificant.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/7/2007 8:04:49 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI