Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 10/14/2007 10:55:23 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke
I don't want a fight about this, but Database editors are just "nice", what do they really add to the game? To coin your argument before, they add absolutely nothing to existing scenarios and are surely unproven in their ability to change anything overall because the overwhelmingly vast majority of possible equipment was already modelled and in the game beforehand.

I've been amazed at how much I've added with the database editor. Perhaps your opinion derives from a lack of experience.

Perhaps, but it may equally derive from you being too easy to amaze....

What have you added with the editor?

Second and more pertinent quesiton: Why was this this more important than supply and formations?

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 181
RE: Defending a river line - 10/14/2007 11:37:08 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

But they were mixed because the Germans never really tried to defend the Seine. They blew bridges (ones not already bombed anyway) blocked crossing points with hasty rear guards, fought a few delaying actions but they essentially mingled because the Germans were not actually emplaced behind the river in anything like the required strength to defend it. We would have been able to count the mingling that occured without direct combat rather easily had they been entrenched behind it for it would have been zero unless the Allies had attacked.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis LemayI also listed every river from Normandy to the Rhine. And let's add every river after the Rhine up to the linkup with the Soviets. Even the Rhine only counts on a technicality, since the Germans didn't fall back to it - they fell back to the Westwall, well to the west of the Rhine. And, let's go double or nothing on WWI: Check a map of the Western Front over most of the war - you won't find any river defense lines.

Again you completely and probably wilfully miss the point. If a river is not defended, attacking units can waltz across it without requiring anything in the way of mingling in both real life and in TOAW. The Allies drove across France because the Germans didn't defend any of the rivers, they simply ran after the defeat at Falaise, pausing to merely obstruct or fight rearguards to buy time. Under the mindless logic and uncontexted stuff being put about here, rivers are easy to cross because not a single guy from 11th Armoured got wounded or killed when they crossed the Thames on manouevres in 1943 .

You surely see that arguing about how contested river crossings should work by using uncontested river crossings as examples is doomed to fail?

You're just not getting the fact that context is everything, otherwise the rules you write based on Anzio won't work at Omaha. when I raised this point initially, you correctly pointed out Omaha and Tarawa were defended. Therefore, context is everything, absolutely everything, and nothing less than everything. Why use examples that are out of context?

In current TOAW you can cross an uncontested river by simply driving across. If it is contested, why do we need to simulate intermingling?

As for WWI, show me operational breakthroughs that forced the front to fracture and retreat meaning river defence lines were necessary. They stopped where the manouver ended and until 1918 didn't move very far at all after that.

quote:

Yes, but try the above scenario without rivers and you can see how willfully complicating you're attempting to make it in order to apologise for the current rules.

quote:

I'm not making anything any more complicated than necessary for you to see my point about intermingling. It's been a monumental chore. But, from your reply above (the "Yes"), Perhaps we've finally made some progress.

It has been a bigger chore for myself trying to impose battlefield reality on the discussion. Rivers weren't important, I'm told, rivers were often easily crossed (without context) rivers were not significnant etc etc etc. I've never served and don't need to be told this is not correct, a little reading and understanding is enough.

As a concept intermingling makes sense, but it makes sense in all phases of the battle. Nowhere do we take account of it, therefore it clearly isn't why rivers are as they are, and is a bad reason when stacked up against the downsides.

quote:

Lets take something most people will be familiar with like the Somme. Now, if memory serves, you could get the entire encounter inside one 25Km hex. Now, in any game scale above or around that, the entire British force in TOAW III is going to move as one from its home hex into the German defended hex.

However, in real life, advances as much as a mile or more were made in places, whereas in other parts, the troops didn't get ten yards from their own trenchline.

Now, we don't take account of this within the game one bit. The German defences are a barrier in a hex and you either take the whole hex or none at all. You advance everywhere at a uniform pace or nowhere. The game engine doesn't recognise intermingling in those terrain features (flat dry ground and urban) where it would occur most at any and all scenario hex sizes.

quote:

EXACTLY!! At 25km/hex the Somme offensive is greatly abstracted. The game doesn't specify exactly where in the advance-hex the advancing force is. (Sometimes, it fails to advance, while expelling the defenders, or some of them - representing a partial success that didn't equate to full capture of the hex.)

No, it's not exactly (!!), because within that 25km, there would have been intermingling as some battalions got a mile or two forward and some didn't leave the trenchline. There is absolutely zero intermingling in the game because the game mechanics cannot cope with it. You are using the intermingling argument to apologise for errors in the river crossing mechanism and rules. We can't simulate what you want to simulate because you're either in one hex or another, period.

In other words, you have intermingling in real life in standard terrain which we don't cater for. Why are we catering for it in river hexes to the detriment of so much else.

quote:

you want to interpret the current river rules to suggest it happens automatically in any and all river settings. It isn't consistent and it is't necessary.

quote:

No. That's never been what I've been saying. This entire sub-thread can be traced back to my statement that real world forces wouldn't usually be neatly lined up - each on their own side of the river hexside, at operational scales. You claimed they would be. You seem to have finally gotten it.

They are lined up until one side decides to cross, you must surely see this. If they don't decide to cross, then theres no intermingling, period. Why would I be intermingling with forces on the other bank if I haven't attempted to get across. Why would I be intermingling if the other bank is securely held? It simply makes no sense.

quote:

In contrast, river hexes don't specify where in the hex the occupiers are, exactly. It can represent partial crossing (they have, after all, paid the MP cost to enter the hex). Full crossing of the river isn't modeled until the force moves on beyond the river hex (paying the combat penalty as it does so).

It just gets worse when you try and explain it. It's a two part affair. you pay a movement penalty entering the hex to simulate getting across the river, but then pay a combat penalty completely separtely trying to get off it. So, you cross, we save up the violence that must have occurred at this point and make you pay it later on. It's a nonsense. If you simply dig in on the river hex, you are classed as having got across as any counterattack gets no defensive benefits.

You're answer. Don't across, no one is forcing you to, which means at the higher levels a whole series of empty 50km wide hexes, and reduced recon capability.

quote:

The death of your current position is the farce that had the British tried to launch the assault across a river into the face of the machine guns and barbed wire at the Somme, your apology for the River game rules would have seen them have some success, because sat on the river hex trying to charge through the withering fire and barbed wire, they would have been treated as if they had intermingled as they did in real life and got into the German defences.

But because they chose to launch it across dry land, they get penalised when the Germans rebuff their assault because nowhere do they make any territorial gains within the hex being attacked. It's bizarre. they start and end in their own hex, not an inch across the 25km front having been deemed to have been taken, unless they cross one of Curtis's super river hexsides first (as if the defences on the Somme weren't bad enough) because doing this sees them classed as having intermingled, got across the river in places and actually had the success they had in real life.

Under this interpretation, every hex should be a river hex because it is the only way to simulate the intermingling of land combat without rivers as well.

quote:

Wow, are you confused!

You seem to have that effect on people

quote:

If the 25km hex the British were attacking out of had been a river hex, then they would have paid the river penalty for the attack. It's that simple. If they advanced, then the river would have been considered fully crossed.

But that wasn't the point and you know it. The point was that in a dry land attack, none of their efforts get rewarded because there is no mingling within the mechanics when they attack. Had they entered a river hex to make the whole thing doubly difficult, they would have been classed as having intermingled under the Lemay riverine warfare mod currently being apologised for. It's a nonsense.

quote:

TOAW deals in absolutes, rather like chess. You're in this hex or that one.

quote:

But exactly where in that hex is not specified.

So? Lets try this one more time.

If you enter a river hex, two separate rules apply.

If you are attacked, you are classed as having got across.
If you attack, you are classed as not having got across.

The same unit, nothing different save the next action. This applies nowhere else in the mechanics and is merely an apology for the mechanics not an explanation.

What do you gain from this assumption of mingling, given you still have to pay a combat penalty to get across if the river is contested. If it isn't contested, then why have any need for intermingling since you can just waltz across as you please.

quote:

Nowehere does it attempt to model intermingling save during combat, but at the end of that combat the two sides are very firmly in separate hexes whatever the result. It is an unwarranted anomaly to graft on this intermingling explanation to river rules in this way.

It simply isn't consistent. You're placing a layer of rules on the river crossings to explain the situation that have no equivalent in other equally needy areas of the game. Rules can't be different like this, right or wrong, they must be consistent. Consistency is everything.

quote:

Again, you're misunderstanding my point. The real world has intermingling, including river crossings. River hexes allow the interpretation of a partial crossing of the river. River hexsides do not. You appear to be writting a book on this issue when, as I've said, it traces back to the simple statement that I bolded above. If you can now, finally, agree to that statement, we can move on.

Absolutely not because you're avoiding the point. The real world does indeed have intermingling, but it is more likely to be in other types of terrain than river hexes, yet we don't do anything about this do we? Try taking a city that occupies an entire hex, you either take it all or don't get so much as a foothold. There is no intention here to simulate mingling in any way.

Finally, in those very historical examples where the two sides were separated by a river (or the (numerous) "exceptions" as you refer to them), your rules fall flat on their backside, period, because no one is getting across without a deliberate river crossing (except in the lemay riverine warfare mod). River hex sides remove this issue by asking Commanders a simple question when they reach a river hex side. Do you want to cross? If you do, you attack, if you don't then you don't.

If you attack across the hexside, you get exactly the same sort of intermingling the game allows with urban and forest hexes (which is zero). If you want to simulate a lightly held opposite bank, you have the RBC rules.

Besides, how can rules "interpret" anything? Rules are black and white, what they simulate is fairly standard. Your "interpretation" is simulating one way when other ways may actually be more prevalent. Interpreting in things like this is a nonsense. River hex sides remove the interpretation because a quick glance at the map tells you which side you are on and what rules apply to you in any and all circumstances.

quote:

Yes, but it is across the river, as I keep stating, without having to even attack.

quote:

No. It is not considered fully across the river until it moves beyond the river hex - paying the river combat penalty.

But why is it paying the combat penalty after it is "interpreted" to have got across?

quote:

The unit is paying the river combat penalty after actually attacking, but getting no defensive bonus even if the attack hasn't taken place. How can this be right? Also, in your model, intermingling is still only going to occur in real life where there is intent to attack across the river. Movement in to the river hex is being deemed as intent regardless of whether it actually is or not, and the whole intermingling edifice essentially falls down when you consider that "intermingling" assumes some people are across and some not, but when counterattacked the programme in your model decides everyone has got across because even those who have not "intermingled sufficiently" to get across the bank end up getting shot at, grenaded and bayoneted as if they had.

quote:

That's pretty incomprehensible. But it seems to be your usual complaint about tactical issues related to crossing the river. I'll just repeat what I've stated before, that neither method addresses all tactical issues. Rivers have both boundary and area properties. River hexsides will not model the area properties.

This is the key point.

Why are those area properties actually required? What on earth do they add to the game?? Having arrived at the river, entered the river hex and been interpreted as across it (in an intermingly fashion), the attacking unit still has to attack across it to get off it. Therefore, why are we considering the unit across the river in places when it doesn't actually get them any benefit or change the game mechanics of crossing in any other way?

All this does is make the unit more vulnerable to counterattack, a clearly unwarranted vulnerability given they may not have attempted to get across in real life at all, and even if they had intermingled they wouldn't have all gotten across, but all are shot at for combat purposes.

So, what does this rule add or even simulate, given however much interminging you want to interpret, the unit is considered whole and on one side or the other of the river barrier in all other circumstances?

quote:

Now, if I've got my names right from the bio refs you gave earlier in this thread, then I appreciate I'm not going to get much of a look in here having just scanned the notes on the database editor in the docs folder and seen who wrote it, but do we really think that the ability to accurately model the (unlikely and unhistorical) success of the Yamato's last mission is more important than getting the rules right about combat river crossings in a game almost exclusively concerned with land combat in a world criss crossed with rivers?????

Did we really suspend work on formations and the supply model so we could instead model the limited availabilty of HVAP amongst American Sherman crews in North West Europe in 1944-45?

I don't want a fight about this, but Database editors are just "nice", what do they really add to the game? To coin your argument before, they add absolutely nothing to existing scenarios and are surely unproven in their ability to change anything overall because the overwhelmingly vast majority of possible equipment was already modelled and in the game beforehand.

quote:

The equipment editor was probably the most heavily demanded item in any wishlist.

Leaving aside "probably" which indicates you don't actually know, was it higher than supply and formation changes (which was the real quesiton - not whether there was any demand for an editor)? I can only repeat, did we really think it was more important to be able to beach the Yamato then switch divisions between Corp HQs and have a vaguely realistic supply model?

Where is the poll? Shall we start one?

quote:

And you are incorrect about not affecting existing scenarios. There were a huge number of ACOW scenarios in existence that already used BioEd modified equipment.

I don't doubt they affected, I just doubt whether they made much effect and certainly doubt whether they made more of an effect than supply and formation amendments would have done. I also wonder at the logic of diluting the core values of the game. As I said, I've seen enough threads where people who lacked reading and evidence never-the-less waxed lyrical about euipment, deployment and doctrine. The equipment editor would not have been denied them.

quote:

Implementing the equipment editor feature immediately made all those scenarios (some of them among the best) available for TOAW III.

Arguable because I don't know that the "best" scenarios have ever been agreed upon. Mine would include work by Burns, McBride and the FITE crew.

quote:

You're wrong about its impact as well. It's a very powerful tool with almost unlimited uses. For example, CFNA benefited greatly via adding recon to lots of equipment.

But why did you need to add lots of recon ability to units which presumably were not deemed to have required it in any other scenarios? This is using equipment amendments to (I would hazard) cover for other rule change requirements. Fix the problem, don't compensate for the effect.

quote:

Ultimately, this is irrelevant anyway. You're arguing on grounds of area intermingling and such like. This argument about importance you can deploy if you accept the area intermingling stuff is not a good enough argument, but if you're going to spend posts arguing about area intermingling, I'm surely going to respond.

quote:

My argument from the start (and you can check) has been that it is not cut-and-dried which way works better - hexside rivers or river hexes. Neither models all the features of rivers perfectly, but, the larger the scale, the better river hexes do, and the worse river hexsides do. There is no assurance that rivers will be better modeled as hexsides. You want to focus on one single tactical consideration and ignore all others.

I disagree, as stated above, at higher levels, a player's not wanting to pay unfair defensive penalties leaves hundreds of square kilometres empty. Where is this historical?

quote:

On the other hand, we can be assured that coding hexside rivers will be a huge task. We can also be assured that no existing scenario's map has river hexsides. The benefits will be vanishingly small.

the benefits will be to model river warfare correctly in a simulation about land warfare, where rivers are one of the most important geographical considerations. If this is vanishingly small, then it proves that we don't share a common definition of "small" (or vanishingly) for that matter.

We are, however, able to render the American Pacific fleet blind and impotent by beaching the Yamato...

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 182
RE: Defending a river line - 10/14/2007 11:46:06 PM   
IronDuke_slith

I thought it might help to cut out and re-post the key point.

This is the key point.

Why are those area properties actually required? What on earth do they add to the game?? Having arrived at the river, entered the river hex and been interpreted as across it (in an intermingly fashion), the attacking unit still has to attack across it to get off it. Therefore, why are we considering the unit across the river in places when it doesn't actually get them any benefit or change the game mechanics of crossing in any other way?

In other words, intermingled they may be, but when they attack across the river, the game interprets them as not intermingled.

All this does is make the unit more vulnerable to counterattack, a clearly unwarranted vulnerability given they may not have attempted to get across in real life at all, and even if they had intermingled they wouldn't have all gotten across, but all are shot at for combat purposes.

So, what does this rule add or even simulate, given however much interminging you want to interpret, the unit is considered whole and on one side or the other of the river barrier in all other circumstances?

Therefore, why is the unit considered intermingled when the game mechanics treat it as un-intermingled when it decides to attack off the river? What is this "interpretation" actually getting us, except providing an explanation for why these units are vulnerable to counterattack?

Indeed, if explaining an otherwise unexplainable game feature is all it does, surely that means it is in dire need of fixing?

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 183
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 8:12:00 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been amazed at how much I've added with the database editor. Perhaps your opinion derives from a lack of experience.

'Airstrips' that enhance supply and can be used by certain air units. The air units that can use those airstrips. Tanks with enhanced abilities to penetrate enemy defenses. Siebel Ferries. Armed Barges. 'Bren Carriers' that do not increase recon abilities as would scout carriers. 25 pounders with a limited AT ability. 'Shipping' units that can provide limited supply to units overseas. Formations whose supply proficiency falls if they are moved. AA Cruisers. Riverine frigates. 'British' battlecruisers. 'German' battlecruisers. 'Pocket' battleships. Movement inhibitors for selected units...

There's more...but those are some of the uses I've turned it to.
quote:

Second and more pertinent quesiton: Why was this this more important than supply and formations?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'formations,' but the equipment editor is not necessarily more important. However, we do in fact already have the equipment editor, so it shouldn't be too hard to fully integrate it into the program. It's sort of like your 'hex side rivers that Norm already did the programming for' -- except that in this case it's an undoubted good, and in this case, the programming really has been done.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 184
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 9:19:43 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

Regarding your bolded claim, it is either an incorrect assumption on your part, or a deliberate strawman argument. Let me clarify.

Rivers along hexsides allow units to assume two basic states. The first is that of a solid, and coherent defense, which is always in effect, when neither force is actively attacking across the river. The second is that of an attacking force, which is only in effect for a very brief, and discrete amount of time. This is the point in time when a game will usually penalize the actively attacking force.

The reason that TOAW will continue to model rivers in hexes, instead of as hexsides, is that this allows an additional state, or operational condition, that units may assume beyond that of what is allowed by hexside rivers. That of a shallow bridgehead. The cost, or trade-off, here is a simple spatial distortion that, absent battle, is no better or worse than that caused by forcing rivers to run along hexsides.

A shallow bridgehead does not allow for units to maneuver well and, given the general nature of river valleys, will also represent, due to elevation, a tactical advantage to those opposing forces not on a river hex. Thus the 70% reduction in firepower that affects the attacking units. Now, to be consistent, I believe that this penalty should apply to all forces on river hexes, regardless of whether they are attacking, or defending. I will try to get Ralph to code that effect for the next patch. This will also clear up inconsistencies when attacking and defending units are both on river hexes. Both sides will be equally constrained and affected.

Why does such an additional state need to be present in TOAW? This is because attackers crossing a river, attacking from a river, defending a narrow bridgehead, should be in a more vulnerable state (at least potentially) at some point in time during the turn. If the "turn" ends, (local/global initiative shifts) before a bridgehead is established deeply enough to be safe from local counterattacks, then the game needs to have the forces that are, in essence, straddling the river, or packed into a confined area, be vulnerable to enemy action - while it is still in this disorganized or operationally weakened state. Thus, if a player can replicate a quick, decisive and effective breakthrough at the point of crossing, a la Sedan, then by the time the enemy can react, the bridgehead is already established some non-zero number of hexes deep, and away from the river. The bridgehead has been successfully forced, and is more relatively safe from any counterattacks that might follow. If the player fumbles, bumbles and stumbles in the face of the enemy resistance, a la Fredricksburg, then the bridgehead is too narrow for the forces across to take advantage of maneuver, they are working up river banks, the bridging or ferry assets are under fire, and the units are in a vulnerable state, such that continued actions against it and the forces within it have a relative advantage.

Hexside rivers never allow this moment of vulnerability to be exploited by an active player. Given the way that the TOAW system manages time as a resource, this is inconsistent with the design philosophy of the game.

Feel free to agree, disagree, and to promote your pet ideas - whether or not they support in-hex, or hex-side, rivers. However, keep in mind that at this stage of engine development, adding hexside rivers will entail a huge amount of engine rewriting, testing, and bug-hunting for something that is not merely an insignificant addition given the resources necessary to apply them with an internal consistency, but when utilized, would actually be a reduction in the range of operational states that the opposing forces may assume within the space of time that a turn represents.

We don't intend on dumbing down the game and reducing the options for player interaction within the space of the game turns. We're rather more interested in continuing to increase them.

I hope this adequately explains the continuing design philosophy that will govern development of this title, and it successors.

Thanks to all for the stimulating discussion and your time.

Regards,
James

Post #: 185
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 2:14:22 PM   
rhinobones

If TOAW had been originally designed with hex side rivers, I wonder if any of you would be proponents of changing to hex in rivers.  My guess is, not.  As usual the trend here seems to be the fabrication of arguments to defend Norm.  This is much like the arguments I have seen that attempt to explain why YGIG to more realistic that WEGO.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 186
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 2:48:09 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
This is much like the arguments I have seen that attempt to explain why YGIG to more realistic that WEGO.

There are really arguments about YGIG being more realistic than WEGO ??!!

Regarding hex side rivers - Norm already had coded them, so is this code part of the code that Matrix aquired from T2/TalonSoft? And if so, what would be so hard about implementing it? And if it isn't part of the aquired code, where is it and why?

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
the 70% reduction in firepower that affects the attacking units. Now, to be consistent, I believe that this penalty should apply to all forces on river hexes, regardless of whether they are attacking, or defending.

Consistent, yes, also fitting with your part about Federiksburg and Sedan - but I think this will further add to the tendency that vast areas, the river hexes, remain unoccupied. No problem at 2,5 km and say the Dnjepr, Wolga or the Balkan part of the Danube, but at the higher scales and shallower waters.

quote:

If TOAW had been originally designed with hex side rivers, I wonder if any of you would be proponents of changing to hex in rivers. My guess is, not. As usual the trend here seems to be the fabrication of arguments to defend Norm.

Sorry, James, i'm with Rhino in this one.

< Message edited by Telumar -- 10/15/2007 2:55:41 PM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 187
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 5:31:13 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Colin's answered already- and here's what I've done;

a) dozens of historical equipment types which are not in the database
b) several planned but not built equipment types
c) duplicates of existing equipment types to provide different replacement pools for different units in the same force
d) specialised equipment such as "land carriers" and equipment which adds weight but not strength to a unit
e) modified existing types of equipment, tanks with recon and armoured cars without for special circumstances.

Several excellent scenarios I know wouldn't work at all without modified equipment. My whole Grand Strategy game project would never have been possible.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/15/2007 5:35:06 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 188
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 5:33:31 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

If TOAW had been originally designed with hex side rivers, I wonder if any of you would be proponents of changing to hex in rivers.  My guess is, not.

I agree. In the ultimate result, the two systems are about as good as each other. So it's hardly worth a major overhaul to switch between them.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 189
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 8:04:14 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Regarding your bolded claim, it is either an incorrect assumption on your part, or a deliberate strawman argument. Let me clarify.

Rivers along hexsides allow units to assume two basic states. The first is that of a solid, and coherent defense, which is always in effect, when neither force is actively attacking across the river. The second is that of an attacking force, which is only in effect for a very brief, and discrete amount of time. This is the point in time when a game will usually penalize the actively attacking force.

The reason that TOAW will continue to model rivers in hexes, instead of as hexsides, is that this allows an additional state, or operational condition, that units may assume beyond that of what is allowed by hexside rivers. That of a shallow bridgehead. The cost, or trade-off, here is a simple spatial distortion that, absent battle, is no better or worse than that caused by forcing rivers to run along hexsides.

A shallow bridgehead does not allow for units to maneuver well and, given the general nature of river valleys, will also represent, due to elevation, a tactical advantage to those opposing forces not on a river hex. Thus the 70% reduction in firepower that affects the attacking units. Now, to be consistent, I believe that this penalty should apply to all forces on river hexes, regardless of whether they are attacking, or defending. I will try to get Ralph to code that effect for the next patch. This will also clear up inconsistencies when attacking and defending units are both on river hexes. Both sides will be equally constrained and affected....

Doesn't the game already do this? My understanding is that the combat model in OPART is that both attackers and defenders 'fire' -- and so if the unit is on a river hex, its 'fire' is penalized regardless of whether it is attacking or defending.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/15/2007 8:32:30 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 190
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 8:12:37 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

If TOAW had been originally designed with hex side rivers, I wonder if any of you would be proponents of changing to hex in rivers. My guess is, not. As usual the trend here seems to be the fabrication of arguments to defend Norm. This is much like the arguments I have seen that attempt to explain why YGIG to more realistic that WEGO.

Regards, RhinoBones

Perhaps...but there is a case for whole-hex rivers -- JAMiAM just rather elegantly summed it up.

So that going over to hex-side rivers would be an improvement is at least debatable. Moreover, as again JAMiAM confirmed, this change of dubious utility would be expensive in terms of programming time. It's like I could spend a year converting the exterior of my house to stucco rather than wood -- or I could build a second story. What to do, what to do?

If partisans of whole-hex rivers are partially motivated by a blind need to defend the status quo, aren't the motives of the partisans of hex-side rivers similarly suspect? I've seen at least one post arguing that since all these other games have hex-side rivers, OPART should as well.

Well, my vote on making the change is no. True, if OPART already had hex-side rivers, the weight of the argument might be to keep them. However, it doesn't: it has whole-hex rivers. And the weight of the argument is to keep them.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/16/2007 1:24:21 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 191
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 11:54:16 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

This is much like the arguments I have seen that attempt to explain why YGIG to more realistic that WEGO.

There are really arguments about YGIG being more realistic than WEGO ??!!

Regarding hex side rivers - Norm already had coded them, so is this code part of the code that Matrix aquired from T2/TalonSoft? And if so, what would be so hard about implementing it? And if it isn't part of the aquired code, where is it and why?

This was my understanding, that Norm had finished the coding and only an argument with Talonsoft prevented it being released (I thought it was something to do with the dispute meaning they wouldn't compile the patch for him or something). Given I see I am accused of wanting to dumb things down shortly, I can at least claim to be in good company.

I thought I saw it on the wargaming newsgroup if memory serves.

It would be interesting if someone approached him. I know Erik, and Erik had a long association with this title in the early days if I understand things correctly and could make the introductions for me or anyone if we wanted to get to the bottom of the matter. Is there any appetite for this? Perhaps Norm could explain why he felt hexside rivers were important? I seem to have a credibility gap, would Norm be a better expert witness?

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 192
RE: Defending a river line - 10/15/2007 11:59:50 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

'Airstrips' that enhance supply and can be used by certain air units. The air units that can use those airstrips. Tanks with enhanced abilities to penetrate enemy defenses. Siebel Ferries. Armed Barges. 'Bren Carriers' that do not increase recon abilities as would scout carriers. 25 pounders with a limited AT ability. 'Shipping' units that can provide limited supply to units overseas. Formations whose supply proficiency falls if they are moved. AA Cruisers. Riverine frigates. 'British' battlecruisers. 'German' battlecruisers. 'Pocket' battleships. Movement inhibitors for selected units...

There's more...but those are some of the uses I've turned it to.
quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'formations,' but the equipment editor is not necessarily more important. However, we do in fact already have the equipment editor, so it shouldn't be too hard to fully integrate it into the program. It's sort of like your 'hex side rivers that Norm already did the programming for' -- except that in this case it's an undoubted good, and in this case, the programming really has been done.

Well, with respect, I don't see what value any Naval units would add given the way they are presented in the game and naval rules work. AA cruisers look difficult to justify to me on any basis as the Naval rules don't look nearly strong enough to me to want to simulate Naval combat in any way. AA cruisers are a tactical concept not an operational one and I don;t see what they add to game play.

I had to look siebel ferries up, but again, with the supply rules as they are, why do we need them?

Now, this isn't to criticise your work, merely suggest that this is a nice to have and amendments to the formation rules and supply rules should be everybody's prime focus.

I would also ask how equipment modifications were made in the days before Norm stopped work on it. I seem to recall there were a number of tweaks introduced in the early days around unit values. If a valid argument existed for adding AT values to arty (and I think it sounds eminently sensible) why is it not patched into the game?

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 193
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 12:05:57 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

c) duplicates of existing equipment types to provide different replacement pools for different units in the same force
d) specialised equipment such as "land carriers" and equipment which adds weight but not strength to a unit
e) modified existing types of equipment, tanks with recon and armoured cars without for special circumstances.

Several excellent scenarios I know wouldn't work at all without modified equipment. My whole Grand Strategy game project would never have been possible.

Again, what are we really adding to an operational game with these tactical tweaks. It's not that I'm saying it's not worth it, I'm just saying what did we do in the old days when COW had (what some might have considered for argument's sake) ridiculously tough armour on the T-55?

Of the ones above, I can see a possible need for "C" but adding in the British equivalent of the Maus or something strikes me as a minor improvement. Which historical scenarios benefitted from "B", for example?

Again, it's not that I have a problem with this, just that I (personally) wonder whether this or a re-write of the supply rules would have revolutionised the game the most.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 194
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 12:30:31 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

This was my understanding, that Norm had finished the coding and only an argument with Talonsoft prevented it being released (I thought it was something to do with the dispute meaning they wouldn't compile the patch for him or something). Given I see I am accused of wanting to dumb things down shortly, I can at least claim to be in good company.

It would be interesting if someone approached him. I know Erik, and Erik had a long association with this title in the early days if I understand things correctly and could make the introductions for me or anyone if we wanted to get to the bottom of the matter. Is there any appetite for this? Perhaps Norm could explain why he felt hexside rivers were important? I seem to have a credibility gap, would Norm be a better expert witness?

Regards,
IronDuke

Ladies and Gentlemen, Norm has left the building. He has gotten in his car and driven away.... Please take your seats. For those of you who have not seen the numerous public announcements, Norm has passed the baton on the TOAW series. He has moved on. He no longer wishes to contribute to a product that can be seen as competing with his future endeavors. In short, this is a dead parrot.

TOAD Team (Ralph and I) are the developers contracted by Matrix Games to develop and support TOAW III. Norm lent his name for continued use on the product, and turned over what code he still had laying around (untested and undocumented) and then basically wished us luck. He won't be playing an encore.

Whether or not Norm thought at some point that river hexsides were a viable option to add into TOAW, and how much code he might have at one time written to introduce that feature, are really irrelevant. A hexside rivers feature is something that is not in any way high on the planned feature list for TOAW III, or TOAW IV. There is simply too much work to do, in order to introduce a parallel method of dealing with rivers, and too little payback in terms of game play. In fact, as I mentioned before, I think it detracts from the game, and it moves away from the ideas that we are intending on incorporating into future versions of this gaming system.

Sorry if this sounds bit terse, but it annoys me when my kids try the old "Dad/Mom said "no" so let's go ask the other parent." It's just not something that I expect to hear from grown-ups.

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 10/16/2007 12:34:44 AM >

Post #: 195
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 12:39:44 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

Ladies and Gentlemen, Norm has left the building. He has gotten in his car and driven away.... Please take your seats. For those of you who have not seen the numerous public announcements, Norm has passed the baton on the TOAW series. He has moved on. He no longer wishes to contribute to a product that can be seen as competing with his future endeavors. In short, this is a dead parrot.

TOAD Team (Ralph and I) are the developers contracted by Matrix Games to develop and support TOAW III. Norm lent his name for continued use on the product, and turned over what code he still had laying around (untested and undocumented) and then basically wished us luck. He won't be playing an encore.

Whether or not Norm thought at some point that river hexsides were a viable option to add into TOAW, and how much code he might have at one time written to introduce that feature, are really irrelevant. A hexside rivers feature is something that is not in any way high on the planned feature list for TOAW III, or TOAW IV. There is simply too much work to do, in order to introduce a parallel method of dealing with rivers, and too little payback in terms of game play. In fact, as I mentioned before, I think it detracts from the game, and it moves away from the ideas that we are intending on incorporating into future versions of this gaming system.

Sorry if this sounds bit terse, but it annoys me when my kids try the old "Dad/Mom said "no" so let's go ask the other parent." It's just not something that I expect to hear from grown-ups.

Well, I'm halfway through replying to your other post, but I'd just like to register how disappointed I am with this tone. It is indeed terse and (I feel) unwarranted. Given Norm "turned over what code he still had laying around" it is surely far from irrelevant whether a complete set of code might have been written at one point that addressed this point, and what the man who dreamed up the design philosophy and gaming system may have thought about the issue.

I too apologise if my response is a bit terse, but it annoys me to have a debate and several pages of effort dismissed on the grounds I am being childish.

I didn't expect that here.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 196
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 12:40:02 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

If a valid argument existed for adding AT values to arty (and I think it sounds eminently sensible) why is it not patched into the game?

Because artillery (when used in high enough numbers) already has the ability to destroy tanks. Ten percent of AP strength is applied against armored targets and uses the same attritional model as does AP fire. So, in high enough volumes, and dependent upon the same modifications (density, terrain, hex scales, etc) armored targets are hit and destroyed by AP fire, in addition to any losses incurred by anti-armor fire.

If designers wish to augment that feature, by use of modifying the database, in order to model some doctrinal use of artillery in a direct fire AT role, then they are certainly free to do so.

Post #: 197
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 12:48:32 AM   
Telumar

quote:

Again, it's not that I have a problem with this, just that I (personally) wonder whether this or a re-write of the supply rules would have revolutionised the game the most.

FIrst, the equipment editor was already there - for COW, so i think it was relatively easy to make TOAWIII "bio-editable". Second, we have a part-time, not a full time programmer so to speak. And certainly enhanced supply rules and hierarchical OOB are appreciated, one of the top items on the non-official wishlist and certainly the game would immensly benefit from it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAm
Sorry if this sounds bit terse, but it annoys me when my kids try the old "Dad/Mom said "no" so let's go ask the other parent." It's just not something that I expect to hear from grown-ups

It's worse, James, Mom and Dad both said no, so they ask Grandpa Norm..

Guess then that hexside rivers are not part of the code Matrix acquired.

Post #: 198
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 1:04:33 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

I too apologise if my response is a bit terse, but it annoys me to have a debate and several pages of effort dismissed on the grounds I am being childish.

I'm dismissing neither the debate, nor several pages of effort on the grounds of being childish.

I'm dismissing the name-dropping, and brazen attempt to pull company strings in order to drag the ex-developer of the series into the debate as being childish.

If you wish to debate the topic of in-hex, or hex-side, rivers on their own merits, then I'm fine with that. Debate away.

However, when you succumb to the fallacious argument style of "appealing to authority", then I have to say that I'm disappointed. I don't think that I've made that mistake on this topic. Contrary to yours, and Rhinobones' insinuations, I'm not defending in-hex rivers because Norm made it that way but rather because they work well, they are in large part consistently integrated into the existing code base, and are consistent with future design plans. You may disagree with that assessment, and you really should feel free to continue to suggest changes that will appeal to your sense of game design. However, just don't take it personally if my replies "dismiss" them as not part of our design vision.

Regards,
James

Post #: 199
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 1:26:09 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Again, what are we really adding to an operational game with these tactical tweaks. It's not that I'm saying it's not worth it, I'm just saying what did we do in the old days when COW had (what some might have considered for argument's sake) ridiculously tough armour on the T-55?

Of the ones above, I can see a possible need for "C" but adding in the British equivalent of the Maus or something strikes me as a minor improvement. Which historical scenarios benefitted from "B", for example?

Regards,
IronDuke

Seelowe works pretty good if I do say so myself. The people who have helped play-test it all agree. It wouldn't work at all if it wasn't for the mods.

Your position appears to be like someone who's never seen an atom bomb go off. 'Well, I just don't see how this weapon would work -- so it can't really have that great an effect.' Your argument isn't very impressive to those of us who have exploited the possibilities the editor offers.

If you want to see a finished product that illustrates the kind of difference we're talking about, try playing Ben's Poland with his recon panzers. First play it as intended with the modified equipment. Okay -- then try it without the modified equipment. When you're done, come back and insist the difference is trivial.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/16/2007 1:44:30 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 200
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 1:30:07 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

You frame this as if at some point there was a choice between an equipment editor and improved supply rules or even as if the choice was to be made now. We got the equipment editor courtesy of a benign Frenchman who had no connection to Talonsoft. It's not like we could have had improved supply instead -- Yves had no way of coding that.

We have the equipment editor. It's irrelevant as to whether that or improved supply rules would add more to the game. It's not like we're debating whether a high-speed rail system or a network of nuclear-powered zeppelins would improve the transportation system more. It's like we're arguing whether the interstate highway system or the high-speed rail system would add more. The answer's unimportant -- we already have the interstate highway system.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/16/2007 1:41:07 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 201
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 1:44:03 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Well, with respect, I fear for the thread when the Moderator wades in with terms like "strawman" and "dumbing down". Let me say at this juncture that if I'm headed for a holiday as we progress, it was nothing personal. It is, however, disappointing on my part to see the attitude encountered thus far (and I don't doubt displayed by me as well) carried over into your contribution.

I would say before we continue that I wholly support the TOAWIII project, am grateful you took it on, but feel the money I parted with to purchase this (fifth) incarnation of the game on my shelves entitles me to a "pet", "dumbed down" and clearly pointless opinion, given your later remarks. I still offer this support and gratitude even given our later spat.

quote:

To be fair, this sounds remarkably lifelike to me (and just perhaps Norm if he did indeed code these thus). However, lets press on, Norm is no more and I'm on my own.

quote:

The reason that TOAW will continue...

Are you able to outline how changes are selected and prioritised within this project? This remark above suggests user input is a marginal influence unless the opinion proferred fits in with existing belief. Since it suggests that greater weight is given to your design philosophy. This is fine, is indeed your complete prerogative, but I might save a lot of time arguing for things in the future if I see you come down one way or another. In other words, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten into an extended argument with others round here once I'd seen you proffer your opinion originally and had it come down against me.

quote:

But what spatial distortion is there when rivers run alongside hex sides? As I mentioned earlier the maps can be very good, but they are full of compromises. What is one more if it could be seen to aid gameplay?

quote:

A shallow bridgehead does not allow for units to maneuver well and, given the general nature of river valleys, will also represent, due to elevation, a tactical advantage to those opposing forces not on a river hex. Thus the 70% reduction in firepower that affects the attacking units.

But is this what the 70% reduction actually represents? Surely it represents the effect of being in a boat, paddling across open water, unable to deploy heavy weapons, shooting from an unsteady moving platform with only those weapons held by people not paddling, and moving at walking pace? This is a reduction in attacking strength, which indicates surely that the tactical problem being simulated is with the attacking units.

Defenders having better fields of fire due to "potentially" being on tactically useful higher ground surely wouldn't be expressed by messing with the attackers values. When we simulate the defenders being in other kinds of tactically useful defensive employments like entrenchments, we enhance their defensive values don't we, rather than decrease the values of attacking forces? I confess my years of TOAW were about operational employment and getting a feel for things, I have never delved under the hood as much as I perhaps should, so if my understanding is wrong...

Finally, units getting across a river but no further, would likely only have a shallow single hex bridgehead to defend anyway, and for operational purposes the size of the bridgehead is the key since that is how much they have to defend to avoid getting thrown back by the opposing player's counterattack.

quote:

Now, to be consistent, I believe that this penalty should apply to all forces on river hexes, regardless of whether they are attacking, or defending. I will try to get Ralph to code that effect for the next patch. This will also clear up inconsistencies when attacking and defending units are both on river hexes. Both sides will be equally constrained and affected.

If I understand this right, you're suggesting (or rather telling us) that the defensive firepower of a unit defending on a river hex will be reduced by 30% sometime soon?

What are we simulating if a unit tries to cross the river, incurs a 30% penalty during the attack, fails to take the opposite bank, and then incurs a 30% penalty defending against an inevitable counterattack the following player's turn? No bridgehead was taken (to partially pre-empt your next remarks and my response).

What if no attack was indeed actually launched and they are attacked?

quote:

Why does such an additional state need to be present in TOAW? This is because attackers crossing a river, attacking from a river, defending a narrow bridgehead, should be in a more vulnerable state (at least potentially) at some point in time during the turn. If the "turn" ends, (local/global initiative shifts) before a bridgehead is established deeply enough to be safe from local counterattacks, then the game needs to have the forces that are, in essence, straddling the river, or packed into a confined area, be vulnerable to enemy action - while it is still in this disorganized or operationally weakened state. Thus, if a player can replicate a quick, decisive and effective breakthrough at the point of crossing, a la Sedan, then by the time the enemy can react, the bridgehead is already established some non-zero number of hexes deep, and away from the river. The bridgehead has been successfully forced, and is more relatively safe from any counterattacks that might follow. If the player fumbles, bumbles and stumbles in the face of the enemy resistance, a la Fredricksburg, then the bridgehead is too narrow for the forces across to take advantage of maneuver, they are working up river banks, the bridging or ferry assets are under fire, and the units are in a vulnerable state, such that continued actions against it and the forces within it have a relative advantage.

Indeed, but isn't Tac reserve essentially the mechanism for simulating local counterattacks into shallow breathroughs during the opponent's turn? Employing Tac reserves units behind the front lines would lead them to deploy into the hex at a time when enemy firepower was reduced by 30% enhancing their effect still further in river assault situations.

Secondly, the bridgehead will have a disorganised and vulnerable moment whether the player retains the initiative or not. Fact is that we can't exploit that within IGOUGO so this feature only really applies if the attacking player burns up too much turn getting across. That is fine, you've highlighted that, but under hexside river rules, burning up too much time getting across would leave you in an isolated bridgehead hex on the other side in a non-defensive deployment. How vulnerable can you get in this game to have just siuffered combat, be all alone, not eligible for Tac reserve aid and not dug in.

quote:

Hexside rivers never allow this moment of vulnerability to be exploited by an active player. Given the way that the TOAW system manages time as a resource, this is inconsistent with the design philosophy of the game.

I disagree, I genuinely don't think your logic follows. Let me (respectfully) try and explain why:

Firstly, you're suggesting that this moment of vulnerability would only be exploited anyway by the defending player (when he became active) if the bridgehead wasn't successfully forced and exploited in the first place, either because it eat up too much of the clock or there was player error burning the turn or the attack happened at the end of a turn with much MP already used. Therefore, this only really applies when the attacking player has only just gotten across.

Fine, I follow the logic and the game mechanics forcing it.

However, with hexside rivers, a player making all the errors listed above would only have an eminently counterattackable single or double hex bridgehead on the other side anyway. If he didn't actually make it across in either hex or hex side, at least with hex sides, his failure would not be compounded by being counterattacked (having failed to get across the river) with the sort of force that could only have applied in real life if he had got across.

In other words, this

quote:

Thus, if a player can replicate a quick, decisive and effective breakthrough at the point of crossing, a la Sedan, then by the time the enemy can react, the bridgehead is already established some non-zero number of hexes deep, and away from the river. The bridgehead has been successfully forced, and is more relatively safe from any counterattacks that might follow.

remains eminently true in either hex rivers or hex side rivers and this...

quote:

If the "turn" ends, (local/global initiative shifts) before a bridgehead is established deeply enough to be safe from local counterattacks, then the game needs to have the forces that are, in essence, straddling the river, or packed into a confined area, be vulnerable to enemy action - while it is still in this disorganized or operationally weakened state.

...is eminently true as well since the enemy forces will be in a single hex in a non defensive deployment waiting to get hit with no prospect of aid.

The advantage with hexsides is that failure to get across doesn't see your entire unit slaughtered by counterattack as if it had, and massing to attack across doesn't see enemy Armoured pre-emptive strikes getting across the river for free and running amok in your form up areas.

quote:

Feel free to agree, disagree, and to promote your pet ideas - whether or not they support in-hex, or hex-side, rivers. However, keep in mind that at this stage of engine development, adding hexside rivers will entail a huge amount of engine rewriting, testing, and bug-hunting for something that is not merely an insignificant addition given the resources necessary to apply them with an internal consistency, but when utilized, would actually be a reduction in the range of operational states that the opposing forces may assume within the space of time that a turn represents.

As above, I don't believe it does represent a reduction in the operational states. For a unit to attack and fail to get across is the only instance where something different might happen in hex and hex side options. What you seem to be simulating is very micro, ie some portion of the force getting across and being vulnerable, because everything else (I humbly submit) equally applies to hex side rivers. We don't simulate anywhere else part of an attack being successful and part of an attacking force that has been rebuffed being anywhere other than its own start line. I very humbly submit it doesn't follow it is needed here.

quote:

We don't intend on dumbing down the game and reducing the options for player interaction within the space of the game turns. We're rather more interested in continuing to increase them.

I don't think dismissing a counter argument as "dumbing down" was really required or necessary on several grounds, but not least because it suggests a confidence in the strength of your arguments that may be misplaced given half the people here seem to disagree with you.

quote:

I hope this adequately explains the continuing design philosophy that will govern development of this title, and it successors.

I do indeed believe I have had this explained.

Regards,
Ironduke

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 202
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 1:55:03 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

I don't think dismissing a counter argument as "dumbing down" was really required or necessary on several grounds, but not least because it suggests a confidence in the strength of your arguments that may be misplaced given half the people here seem to disagree with you.

If half the people disagree with JAMiAM, the inference would be that half the people agree with him. If it's that debatable that the change would constitute an improvement, and if the work involved would be as substantial as JAMiAM asserts it would be (and it does seem likely that it would be so), then we shouldn't make the change.

We've got changes that seem relatively easy and that have no down-side to speak of. Putting in an equipment editor. We've got other changes that would be hard but that at least everyone agrees would be beneficial: improved supply, better modeling of air/naval and naval/naval warfare, etc, etc. There might be debate about how significant these improvements would be, but at least everyone agrees they would be improvements.

Not so with hexside rivers. They would be a complex change that many think wouldn't be for the best.

JAMiAM, 'Curtis LeMay,' 'Golden Delicious' and myself all agree that hexside rivers are not a change to be pursued. That's kind of like discovering that the NAACP, the Mormon Church, the American Council of Industry, and the ACLU all think that some change is undesirable. It suggests that (a) it's going to be pretty fruitless to try to push the legislation through, and that (b) the proposal might actually be a pretty bad idea.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/16/2007 2:05:08 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 203
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 1:56:15 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

I'm dismissing neither the debate, nor several pages of effort on the grounds of being childish.

I'm dismissing the name-dropping, and brazen attempt to pull company strings in order to drag the ex-developer of the series into the debate as being childish.

If you wish to debate the topic of in-hex, or hex-side, rivers on their own merits, then I'm fine with that. Debate away.

However, when you succumb to the fallacious argument style of "appealing to authority", then I have to say that I'm disappointed. I don't think that I've made that mistake on this topic. Contrary to yours, and Rhinobones' insinuations, I'm not defending in-hex rivers because Norm made it that way but rather because they work well, they are in large part consistently integrated into the existing code base, and are consistent with future design plans. You may disagree with that assessment, and you really should feel free to continue to suggest changes that will appeal to your sense of game design. However, just don't take it personally if my replies "dismiss" them as not part of our design vision.

Regards,
James

I disagree.

I haven't namedropped, I merely suggested someone ask him how we "got all the code" but didn't get this when several different people recall him saying it had been written and was ready to go. I have never met Norm, never corresponded with him, never written him fan mail or anything. I'm not appealing to authority or namedropping, merely appealing to what may be informed and relevant (as the Designer) opinion. Not least because you've cited design philosophy as one of your principle arguments. With respect, what is more relevant when discussing design philosophy than the philosophy of the person who designed it?

I've merely suggested that the bloke who dreamed up and coded this originally did hex side rivers, which means that whilst you are entitled to your design philosophy, there are surely grounds for speculating this may not necessarily be compatible with the original intended design because something against your design philosophy was coded by the Bloke who dreamed it up, before he gave it all up.

Now, this may be irrelevant since the game is now yours (it's clearly not mine) and Norm's opinion is irrelevant.

Fine, no issues, but in attempting to argue what is simulating what, it is much easier to refute the opposition argument if the person who wrote the base code for the simulation agrees with me.

quote:

I'm not defending in-hex rivers because Norm made it that way

And I am not defending hex side rivers because Norm may have patched it that way. However, when this turns into a debate about design philosophies, all sorts of extra things appear in the mix like this.

regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 204
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 2:05:56 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

If half the people disagree with JAMiAM, the inference would be that half the people agree with him. If it's that debatable that the change would constitute an improvement, and if the work involved would be as substantial as JAMiAM asserts it would be (and it does seem likely that it would be so), then we shouldn't make the change.

We've got changes that seem relatively easy and that have no down-side to speak of. Putting in an equipment editor. We've got other changes that would be hard but that at least everyone agrees would be beneficial: improved supply, better modeling of air/naval and naval/naval warfare, etc, etc. There might be debate about how significant these improvements would be, but at least everyone agrees they would be improvements.

Not so with hexside rivers. They would be a complex change that many think wouldn't be for the best.

But debateable doesn't mean improvements would be marginable, it just means there is disagreement about what the results would be. Debate is designed to test those arguments and attempt to get a consensus.

My (occasionally terse and unwarranted - my apologies) remarks about the equipment editor were based on an understanding this had been a lot of work, and I couldn't see the point given the serious issues that have afflicted this game since scenario designers (much like yourself) took this game out of its comfort zone by simulating the unusual, the different or the large scale, and stopped simulating just sharp Corp sized mechanised campaigns that it all started with.

In other words, I couldn't see the point of giving us heavy duty german supply barges if the supply model was flawed. If the editor was a minor change then much of what I said doesn't apply, although I still feel the real effects are nice rather than game breaking. Curtis's comments about Sherman 76 units and HVAP were interesting but I would have preferred this to be handled by standard database enhancements rather than doctoring the core values. Without the editor, you could have just removed several of the 76mm units and replaced them with 75mm units for example reducing the number of firing units to simulate the limited ammunition everyone had.

regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 205
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 2:09:37 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

Let me say at this juncture that if I'm headed for a holiday as we progress, it was nothing personal.

Let me say that I am actually on holiday at this point in time, so if I drop in, and drop out, it isn't from a lack of interest, but rather from being pressed for time. Let me see...should I host a forum argument, or should I pay more attention to my hosts, who are entertaining me with food, games, and a much needed vacation from work, the family, and the rest of the world?

It's not as tough a choice as it has seemed, but I have this little issue with my zealotry in regards to TOAW...

Respectfully and not personally either,
James

Post #: 206
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 2:28:33 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

You frame this as if at some point there was a choice between an equipment editor and improved supply rules or even as if the choice was to be made now. We got the equipment editor courtesy of a benign Frenchman who had no connection to Talonsoft. It's not like we could have had improved supply instead -- Yves had no way of coding that.

We have the equipment editor. It's irrelevant as to whether that or improved supply rules would add more to the game. It's not like we're debating whether a high-speed rail system or a network of nuclear-powered zeppelins would improve the transportation system more. It's like we're arguing whether the interstate highway system or the high-speed rail system would add more. The answer's unimportant -- we already have the interstate highway system.

Point taken, but this was originally described as high cost and high benefit, as an argument about what should be done with scarce resources instead of river hex sides.

You're saying it wasn't high cost because the coding was done by a third party on behalf of the project. In which case, fine, I unconditionally withdraw those arguments I deployed suggesting this was not worth Project Team time (if high cost) given other things that I felt necessary.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 207
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 6:29:23 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Time for a summary:

1. This is about a very minor tactical issue that doesn’t have any great significance to the game. It’s only a 30% combat modifier. If you rank all the terrain combat modifiers from top to bottom, this one would rank DEAD LAST. And that’s just a mathematical fact. And it isn’t as if it isn’t being applied. It is. The issue is just over exactly where it’s applied. It’s about as minor an issue as you can get.

2. Any fix to one part of the river model breaks another part. Rivers have both boundary and area properties. Switch to hexside from hex and the area factors (like transverse defensive benefits) are unmodeled. In other words, for every plus of hexside rivers, there is a corresponding minus. Even if this change could somehow magically be applied to every existing scenario, the net benefit would be about zilch.

3. But here’s the killer: It won’t be applied to ANY existing scenario! No scenario has hexside rivers. And there will be few designers who will go to all the effort to rip out the river hexes and replace them with hexside rivers in their maps, even among the few who still support their scenarios. The actual net benefit will be something like zilch times zilch! (Zilch-squared!!!)

4. But it gets worse! The costs will be huge. Both graphical and code tasks will be very extensive (even vastly extensive if some people are listened to).

Add it all up and the idea of implementing this change becomes monstrously ludicrous. The whole subject wasn’t worth two sentences. Yet it already has had page after page of repetitive, long-winded, incoherent, incomprehensible blather devoted to it. Enough!

Post #: 208
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 7:29:30 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Time for a summary:

1. This is about a very minor tactical issue that doesn’t have any great significance to the game. It’s only a 30% combat modifier. If you rank all the terrain combat modifiers from top to bottom, this one would rank DEAD LAST. And that’s just a mathematical fact. And it isn’t as if it isn’t being applied. It is. The issue is just over exactly where it’s applied. It’s about as minor an issue as you can get.

2. Any fix to one part of the river model breaks another part. Rivers have both boundary and area properties. Switch to hexside from hex and the area factors (like transverse defensive benefits) are unmodeled. In other words, for every plus of hexside rivers, there is a corresponding minus. Even if this change could somehow magically be applied to every existing scenario, the net benefit would be about zilch.

3. But here’s the killer: It won’t be applied to ANY existing scenario! No scenario has hexside rivers. And there will be few designers who will go to all the effort to rip out the river hexes and replace them with hexside rivers in their maps, even among the few who still support their scenarios. The actual net benefit will be something like zilch times zilch! (Zilch-squared!!!)

4. But it gets worse! The costs will be huge. Both graphical and code tasks will be very extensive (even vastly extensive if some people are listened to).

Add it all up and the idea of implementing this change becomes monstrously ludicrous. The whole subject wasn’t worth two sentences. Yet it already has had page after page of repetitive, long-winded, incoherent, incomprehensible blather devoted to it. Enough!

I'm confused. I want to argue with you, but I agree with you. Sparks, smell of burning insulation...

Wife sighs and goes to get another fuse. Gotta get him off that computer...

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 209
RE: Defending a river line - 10/16/2007 11:54:15 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

Well for example, my version of Europe Aflame provides equipment for the French after 1940 which was actually planned to go into production 1941-2.

My Poland scenario would play very differently without e).

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI